• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 21 -27 August CONFIRMED NUMBERS!

Deku

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Impressive sales no doubt

What's more impressive to me is that fact that the top ten lists four DS games developed by third parties. A game like Rune Factory, for instance, seems to cater directly to the type of people who have made the DS such a success. I hope Capcom and other Japanese developers are taking notes.

No mono impersonations ? oh wait i guess we had tabris and co.

Chris Michael said:
Crapcom is seriously pissing me off. Their DS support is underwhelming to say the least. They're my favorite third party too. :(

They seem perfectly content in milking Megaman until Japan loses even more interest in him. It's sad because if any developer can make a kickass game (handheld or otherwise) it's Capcom.

They're also making a killing on PSP software, so maybe they aren't interested in the DS :(

moku said:
So your saying that Sony will wait, take thier lumps and rework it for next, next-gen? Interesting take. It's hard to argue with your take, as its the most likely if the scenerio played itself out.

I just wonder if Sony would go into full damage controll and try to respond quickly. Either that or just write Japan off, and concentrate on the Americas, and Europe.

It'd be too late for them to come back if they try again next handheld generation.

Now that they lacksadasically let the DS take over Japan, Nintendo now has enough stockpiled ammunition in the forms of phenomenon sequels (Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, Brain Trainings, Touch Generations, 2d mario, Pokemon) that the next Nintendo handheld is a guaranteed winner.

Had Sony tried to do more (though one could ask, what could they have done to see the rise of Touch Generations?) to fend off the Ds early on then rest on their laurels, they might have a glimpse of a chance next generation.

Not to say they won't do perfectly fine next generation, just as they are doing this time. PSP is still selling a decent amount currently at 1.2 million YTD. Not spectacular, nor horrendous, just decent.

Deku

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
They seem perfectly content in milking Megaman until Japan loses even more interest in him. It's sad because if any developer can make a kickass game (handheld or otherwise) it's Capcom.

They're also making a killing on PSP software, so maybe they aren't interested in the DS :(

Didn't capcom pick the PSP as the platform they would focus on before both were released or sometime soon after? I think the company is just going through its projects right now and may be unable to shift resources quickly enough.

PhoenixDark said:
They seem perfectly content in milking Megaman until Japan loses even more interest in him. It's sad because if any developer can make a kickass game (handheld or otherwise) it's Camelot.

Fixed. Give me my Golden Sun 3

Deku said:
Didn't capcom pick the PSP as the platform they would focus on before both were released or sometime soon after? I think the company is just going through its projects right now and may be unable to shift resources quickly enough.

I think I recall them announcing a killing amount of software for PSP early in their lifespan, which would explain why they are all for PSP right now DESPITE DS's explosion in sales.

But then again, they ARE doing fairly well on the PSP especially with Monster Hunter, Darkstalkers. But Megaman and Ghosts N Goblins ain't doing so well.

Capcom just fails in terms of all decisions.

LanceStern said:
I think I recall them announcing a killing amount of software for PSP early in their lifespan, which would explain why they are all for PSP right now DESPITE DS's explosion in sales.

But then again, they ARE doing fairly well on the PSP especially with Monster Hunter, Darkstalkers. But Megaman and Ghosts N Goblins ain't doing so well.

Capcom just fails in terms of handheld decisions.
You sure you don't mean... all decisions?

They seem to have hit the jackpot with the 360 though. At least in the US:lol

Could we possibly see a Monster Hunter game on the DS? Obviously it would be very different from the PSP one, but I wonder if it's a possibility.

PhoenixDark said:
They seem to have hit the jackpot with the 360 though. At least in the US:lol

Could we possibly see a Monster Hunter game on the DS? Obviously it would be very different from the PSP one, but I wonder if it's a possibility.

They came out with Monster Hunter for cell phones... not sure how similar that is to the actual thing, but the DS could most certainly handle that.

It's like all of Capcom's mental skills are focused exclusively on game-making or something. Nothing on the business side.

Anyway, Monster Hunter for DS would be nice, but it'd be just one less reason for me to get a PSP. I'm going to get one eventually, but I'd really like more solid exclusive franchises and games in it's lineup, so I don't feel ripped.

cvxfreak

I don't think MH would be that popular on DS.

We should wait until Rockman ZN and Gyakuten Saiban 4 are out before we write off Capcom on DS development.

cvxfreak

Dengeki is out. DS captured 9/10. :lol

FFIII 487,000
Rune Factory Shin Bokujou Monogatari 35,000
New Super Mario Bros. 63,000 / 2,856,000
Brain Training 2 38,000 / 3,134,000

Dengeki expects Bandai Namco's Tales of the Tempest, Capcom's Gyakuten Saiban 4 and Konami's Winning Eleven DS titles to be DS's big fall 3rd party hits.

ethelred

Greenpanda said:
What kind of numbes did the GBA PW/Gyakuten Saiban games do in Japan?

Gyakuten Saiban 2 - 251K
Gyakuten Saiban 3 - 206K
Gyakuten Saiban 1 - 177K

Very good sellers overall.

Considering that the GS1 remake has done 155k+ on the DS, I'd say the fanbase is transferring intact pretty well.

cvxfreak said:
Dengeki expects Bandai Namco's Tales of the Tempest, Capcom's Gyakuten Saiban 4 and Konami's Winning Eleven DS titles to be DS's big fall 3rd party hits.

Rrrreeeeaaally. Well, I hope so. I really want Tales of the Tempest to do smashingly, but for some reason, I've got this bad feeling that the game simply isn't going to do as well as it should.

Frankly, I think sales for 90% games boil down to 90% pre-launch hype, 10% quality.

The other 10% of games rely on word of mouth AFTER being released.

The sales patterns will of course reflect this.

cvxfreak

Greenpanda said:
What kind of numbes did the GBA PW/Gyakuten Saiban games do in Japan?

Gyakuten Saiban 39,842
Gyakuten Saiban Best Price 29,289
Gyakuten Saiban 2 116,306
Gyakuten Saiban DS 101,902

Those are a few of the numbers I could find.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Greenpanda said:
What kind of numbers did the GBA PW/Gyakuten Saiban games do in Japan?

It was the second largest Capcom GBA franchise in Japan, behind Rockman EXE.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
PhoenixDark said:
Impressive sales no doubt

What's more impressive to me is that fact that the top ten lists four DS games developed by third parties. A game like Rune Factory, for instance, seems to cater directly to the type of people who have made the DS such a success. I hope Capcom and other Japanese developers are taking notes.

I'm going to hold off on calling Rune Factory a success until I see the numbers a few weeks from now.

apujanata

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Nope, but you can see some here:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2006/08/31/103,1157001929,59314,0,0.html

Anyway, that pic is from GameWatch so no need to worry, very legit source.

Ok. thanks for the URL. It is interesting that there are picture of Wii and PS3, but since I could not read japanese, I could not understand that article :(.

Do you have Japan's LTD for older console (based on famitsu or M-create) ? like for N64, Dream Cast, GB. I (used to get my sales data) from yousou oh (http://www.d6.dion.ne.jp/~yosou-oh/hard.htm), but I am not sure how complete or accurate their data is.

Tadaima

Great Rumbler said:
Anyone have a link to the Mario Bros. sales chart?

Last week's:

mario_200806.png

I'll update soon, with perhaps some older Marios in there, as everyone complains. ;_;

ziran

moku said:
These numbers have to be worrisome to Sony. This is not some momentary blip, nor is it just a return of the competition. This is sheer, and utter domination on a level that hasn't been seen in Japan since the Famicom.

I cannot wait to see how the consoles fair when they are released. Sony hasnt really repsonded to this absolute slaughter on thier home turf, at the hands of the DS.

I wonder how they would respond if the Wii/PS3 follow a similar trend? Would Sony do an about face and try and release thier own version of the wiimote, complete with a cheaper stripped down PS3 model? One would think that they would have to respond in some fashion, and not just let Nintendo pummle them on both fronts.

It's understandable to not come out with a PSP/Touchscreen becuase that was Nintendo's ground, and any in-roads can be seen as a minor victory, but if Nintendo makes the same strides with the Wii, the alarm bells have to go off at some point.

Any comments on what Sony would do?
with regards to the psp, it looks over in japan as far a competition in the handheld gaming arena. the hardware sales are irrelevant if sw sales tank the way they have been doing. overall, psp sw sales are still poor, and third parties will be taking notice.

with ps3 the most significant thing is the version of gaming it's bringing is still in decline in japan and better graphics and more power look like they won't help. then there's the price. things don't look good for the console imo.

as for, what will sony do? well, i expect they'll do exactly what nintendo did when they were faced with the same situation, nothing. the one historical fact about every dominance is they're the last to accept what's happening when their power is declining.

what we see in videogames today began years earlier, especially hardware. you can't change tactics quickly when you've spent so long working on your strategy. imo, if ps3 fails in japan sony won't be able to respond effectively until at least the ps4 or maybe even the ps5.

jarrod

Banned
BorkBork said:
It was the second largest Capcom GBA franchise in Japan, behind Rockman EXE.
Gyakuten Saiban. Then Rockman Zero.

Capcom's basically brought all their notable GBA series to DS... the only thing that seems to be lacking are classic console ports (besides RE DS), which GBA got a pretty healthy amount of (FF One, SSF2XR, SFZ3U, Puzzle Fighter, BOF1-2, etc). Those seem to be going to PSP for the most part for some reason... too bad too imo, as some games like BOF3 or MMLegends 1-2 could've actually seen US release had they been on DS instead, and probably fit the DS demographic better.

ethelred said:
Gyakuten Saiban 2 - 251K
Gyakuten Saiban 3 - 206K
Gyakuten Saiban 1 - 177K

Very good sellers overall.

Considering that the GS1 remake has done 155k+ on the DS, I'd say the fanbase is transferring intact pretty well.

Rrrreeeeaaally. Well, I hope so. I really want Tales of the Tempest to do smashingly, but for some reason, I've got this bad feeling that the game simply isn't going to do as well as it should.

AND WHY WOULD THAT BE *coughcough300,000pluscoughcough*

Anyways, I was looking at DS 3rd party sales and they are starting to really pick up, which is pelasing to my eyes. That or they are showing up in the Top 10 for about 2 weeks totaling about 80,000 then deceiving me because 5 weeks later someone gives me some high LTD for the game that doesn't match with how its been selling.

Looks like I digressed a little... Anyways Bandai/Namco and SquareEnix (surprisingly both being mergers) seem to be the dominant 3rd parties for the DS in Japan.

Publisher Title Japan
Bandai Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop 1,102,405
SquareEnix Final Fantasy III 503,051
Bandai Tamagotchi 2 430,933
Atari Dragon Ball Z Supersonic Warrior 2 295,802
SquareEnix Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 2 288,895
SquareEnix Children of Mana 279,181
Tomy Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 3 229,655
Natsume Harvest Moon Chocoble Station 209,958
Sega Mushikings DS 179,041
Bandai Digimon Story 177,395
Capcom Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 160,784
Tomy Naruto RPG 2 136,250
Sega Feel the Magic: XX/XY 118,143
Konami Powerful Pro Baseball Pocket 106,057
Konami Yugioh Nightmare Troubadour 103,500
Tomy Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 4 103,073
Nacmo Pac Pix 100,500
Hudson Puzzle Series Volume 3: Sudoku 98,216
SquareEnix Egg Monster Hero 97,750
Bandai SD Gundam 96,250
Capcom Mega Man Battle Network 5 DS 94,043
Sega Bleach DS 86,750
Capcom Megaman ZX 83,880
Sega Puyo Pop Fever 82,898
??? Travel Guide DS (US) 61,952
Sega MushiKings 2 61,402
??? Green Tea House Dog DS 60,313
Namco Machigai Museum 59,631
??? Kanpeki Kanji 57,995
Nacmo Mr. Driller Drill Spirits 57,000
Konami Prince of Tennis 51,658
Namco Point Blank DS 48,290
Ignition Ent. Zoo Keeper 45,412
Tomy Naruto RPG 3 45,230
Capcom Resident Evil DS 45,000
Hudson Bomberman 44,907
Natsume Harvest Moon Rune Factory 42,210
Konami Kirarin Revolution: Kira Kira Idol 33,332
Konami Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow 32,896
Namco Xenosaga 1 & 2 32,000
Konami Lost in Blue 31,000
Activision Ultimate SpiderMan 28,000
Bandai Unou no Tatsujin Ganbare Trainer 27,587
Activision Spider Man 2 26,633
Sega Rub Rabbits 25,443
EA Urbz Sims in the City 24,685
Sega Lunar Dragon Song 24,673
Sega Doraemon: Nobita no Kyouryuu 2006 DS 24,116
Atlus Trauma Center: Under the Knife 24,000
Taito Contact 23,000
Konami Goemon DS 22,779
Konami Lost Magic 20,000
Hudson Touch! Bomberman DS 17,090
Success Metal Saga DS 16,184
Konami Fist of the North Star SE 15,594
??? Kanpeki English 9,705
Namco Pac N' Roll 9,000
Sega Pachinko Slot! Fist of the North Star 8,201
EA Goldeneye Rogue Agent 8,000
Tomy Zoids Dash 5,667
Capcom Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble 5,661
Vivendi Uni Crash Bandicoot Festival 5,463
??? Brave Story DS 3,929
EA Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 3,381

ethelred

LanceStern said:
AND WHY WOULD THAT BE *coughcough300,000pluscoughcough*

Anyways, I was looking at DS 3rd party sales and they are starting to really pick up, which is pelasing to my eyes. That or they are showing up in the Top 10 for about 2 weeks totaling about 80,000 then deceiving me because 5 weeks later someone gives me some high LTD for the game that doesn't match with how its been selling.

Looks like I digressed a little... Anyways Bandai/Namco and SquareEnix (surprisingly both being mergers) seem to be the dominant 3rd parties for the DS in Japan.

My problem with your magical 300k thing is that it doesn't take anything into account -- you set an arbitrary, random number, and any game which doesn't pass that threshold is deemed not a success despite the fact that precious few games even make it to that number each year, and despite the fact that for quite a few games, that number means they're performing competitively or well above what similar calibre games are doing on prior or contemporary platforms.

So... The thing is, while ~300k is great for Dragon Quest Heroes or a Mana spinoff, that would be an extremely disappointing result for the first full-fledged original portable Tales game ever, appearing on what is right now the hottest system in the country. 300k for Children of Mana = wow, great job. 300k for Tales = big disappointment, as the game SHOULD do a lot better than that. You just can't apply this stuff across the board, indiscriminately to every single game, because there's no magic "this fits all" number; THAT's why people get annoyed when you constantly harp on the specificity of 300k and all the arbitrary nonsense it represents.

:)

ethelred said:
My problem with your magical 300k thing is that it doesn't take anything into account -- you set an arbitrary, random number, and any game which doesn't pass that threshold is deemed not a success despite the fact that precious few games even make it to that number each year, and despite the fact that for quite a few games, that number means they're performing competitively or well above what similar calibre games are doing on prior or contemporary platforms.

So... The thing is, while ~300k is great for Dragon Quest Heroes or a Mana spinoff, that would be an extremely disappointing result for the first full-fledged original portable Tales game ever, appearing on what is right now the hottest system in the country. 300k for Children of Mana = wow, great job. 300k for Tales = big disappointment, as the game SHOULD do a lot better than that. You just can't apply this stuff across the board, indiscriminately to every single game, because there's no magic "this fits all" number; THAT's why people get annoyed when you constantly harp on the specificity of 300k and all the arbitrary nonsense it represents.

:)

How many times have I said I was IMPRESSED with Lost Magic, Digimon, Phoenix Wright, etc. scores? These titles did not sell anywhere near 300,000 (Lost Magic ~ 50k, Digimon ~ 180k, Phoenix Wright ~ 180k). I already know it's not applicable to every single game due to the budget prices, advertisement etc.

But when you ahve titles like Children of Mana that are hyped to death, advertised like crazy, is a great-looking RPG on the worlds most popular system with a fanbase of 7 million (at the time), you would think it could sell AT LEAST over 300,000. When it doesn't, I see that as an ill-planned decent seller. It's not great because it could and should have done a lot more, but it's not a bomb. Just decent. 100,000 is below average imo if it's games like Children of Mana.

Just look at Mushikings 2. I said the original for DS didn't sell great (i said it selled decent) because it sold 180k while the GBA version sold 580k+. I was yelled at because people (I believe Link to the Past and you) claimed it was just a port and GBA was still slightly more popular at the time so there's no way it could sell over 500k and that the next one would do much better than the 1st for DS.

Now we get MushiKings 2 which did less than half of #1, and this is a brand new title for the BOOMING DS. It's a brand new early 3rd party franchise, and just like that it only sold 70k.

This could be stated as unexcused 3rd party DS sales, but it coudl also be poor advertising, or that the franchise was just a one hit wonder that people realized they didn't like afterwards.

We'll see when more 3rd party big titles come out liek Winning Eleven, Tales and Phoenix. I expect tales and WE to at least go over 250k because they are big in Japan AND it's near the holiday season, AND it's on the DS. Phoenix, hm...

Oh and where did I pull 300,000 from?

That used to be the base amount console games would sell to crack a minor profit for companies. I got so used to seeing that nice, beautiful, even number (250,000 is too low because Half = 50% = Fail in the old school system) that I apply it to handhelds as well.

We all ahve our quirks. 300,000 = Even.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
LanceStern said:

That used to be the base amount console games would sell to crack a minor profit for companies. I got so used to seeing that nice, beautiful, even number (250,000 is too low because Half = 50% = Fail in the old school system) that I apply it to handhelds as well.

You forgot to add 7%.

cvxfreak said:
Dengeki is out. DS captured 9/10. :lol

FFIII 487,000
Rune Factory Shin Bokujou Monogatari 35,000
New Super Mario Bros. 63,000 / 2,856,000
Brain Training 2 38,000 / 3,134,000

That's really for this week's numbers? So that means FFIII is almost at 1mil? If so, I think it could eventually reach 1.5mil, which is great.

Also, I didn't know GS4 was releasing this year...

Thomper

Chris Michael said:
That's really for this week's numbers? So that means FFIII is almost at 1mil? If so, I think it could eventually reach 1.5mil, which is great.

Also, I didn't know GS4 was releasing this year...

No, that's also 21-27 August. Just different trackingcompany is different numbers, and in this case FFIII sold less according to Dengeki. They just track different stores for the complete picture.

donny2112

LanceStern said:

That used to be the base amount console games would sell to crack a minor profit for companies.

It's not anymore valid on consoles than it is on handhelds. 300,000 = random number and pointless to be used as a measuring stick for success on consoles or handhelds. You may have read it on a message board somewhere (or some other equally uninformed source) but that doesn't make it anymore true.

I'm waiting those first day sales (anyone here with l33t n1nj4 sk1lls to surf 2ch?)...but from sinobi..

Phantasy Star Universe does good on first day, 50-50 chances of hitting 150k in the week. He says that it has fought well with PC as competitor.

Valhalla Knights very little shipment (less than 20k) but sold good. Good continuation for Rune Factory.

Blood fighting with the other blood or something like this and bleh at the rest...

Thomper

LanceStern said:
Now we get MushiKings 2 which did less than half of #1, and this is a brand new title for the BOOMING DS. It's a brand new early 3rd party franchise, and just like that it only sold 70k.
Well, actually, Mushi King first had games on GBA a few years ago that were booming and doing quite great. So it isn't that new of a franchise. The first DS game was pure rubbish being I believe just a port or something from the GBA-version, and since then Mushi King in general has declined in popularity quite a bit. It was just a hype.

Symytry

EA Urbz Sims in the City 24,685
Taito Contact 23,000

An asstacular EA game outsold Contact? WTF is wrong with people? Although it is only 1685 difference...I think I'm gonna go and throw up now.

apujanata

LanceStern said:

You are entitled to your quirks / opinion. I just wanted to add that :
DS's average development cost for game is roughly 50-60% of PSP's games. So, the number for DS's should be much lower than PSP's. How PSP compare to console (PS2, GC, XBOX), I don't know. If we assume that PSP's cost are the same as console's, then DS's should be around 150-200K, not 300K. I also assume that those 300K also have some marketing cost incorporated, so for any games that are not advertised (heavily), the # could be even lower, like maybe 100K.

Top Bottom