• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 21 -27 August CONFIRMED NUMBERS!

AniHawk

neo2046 said:
black DSL sold out
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2006/09/02/103,1157162861,59450,0,0.html

h-103_59450_dsblacksinjuku1.jpg.jpg

h-103_59450_dsblacksinjuku2.jpg.jpg

h-103_59450_dsblacksinjuku3.jpg.jpg

Seriously Sony, what the hell did you guys do. This should've been in the bag.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
AniHawk after PS1 pulls away from N64 back in 1997/1998 said:
Seriously Nintendo, what the hell did you guys do. This should've been in the bag.
:D

Anyways, I think the credit goes to Nintendo's strategy and not Sony's mess ups. Nintendo has completely revitalized the japanese market. What they're doing in terms of sales is unprecedented. They couldn't be doing that and losing some people to the PSP without getting NEW customers. This is Nintendo's fault, not Sony's.

AniHawk

GaimeGuy said:
:D

Anyways, I think the credit goes to Nintendo's strategy and not Sony's mess ups. Nintendo has completely revitalized the japanese market. What they're doing in terms of sales is unprecedented. They couldn't be doing that and losing some people to the PSP without getting NEW customers. This is Nintendo's fault, not Sony's.

It's just weird to me. The only gaming history I've ever known (ever since I became part of current-gen stuff
back in 1998
), was that Nintendo's been losing like they were going out of style (because they were, you see).

ziran

according to www.gamefront.de nintendo was shipping ~150k of black ds lites for launch.

edit - it was posted on tuesday:
Japan: Erstauslieferungsmenge des Nintendo DS Lite Black

29.08.06 - Nintendo gibt bekannt, dass die Erstauslieferungsmenge des Nintendo DS Lite Black bei etwa 150.000 Einheiten am 02.09.06 in Japan liegen wird.

GaimeGuy

AniHawk said:
It's just weird to me. The only gaming history I've ever known (ever since I became part of current-gen stuff
back in 1998
), was that Nintendo's been losing like they were going out of style (because they were, you see).
If you're referring to the fact that they're not seen as the "cool" system, they never have since the Genesis/SNES war. Sega established the Genesis as the "cool" system and Sonic became more popular than Mario at one point. The only reason Genesis lost the war, at least in the U.S., was because Sega pulled the plug on it in 1995 or so in order to focus on the Saturn. The SNES lasted longer and outsold it in NA eventually. Not sure though how Sega's profits from that gen compare to Nintendo's. Sega probably was in the red because they spent so much on marketing.

Anyways, no, it's not that Nintendo was going out of style. They just didn't have the 3rd party support they needed to compete with the PS and PS2.

That's why they're seen as out of style. While Sony currently has the casuals by the balls, and MS has established the Xbox as the cool system, Nintendo hasn't had neither the content nor the marketing to be seen as anything but out-of-style.

They just haven't been BETTER than the competition for the most part.

AniHawk

GaimeGuy said:
If you're referring to the fact that they're not seen as the "cool" system, they never have since the Genesis/SNES war. Sega established the Genesis as the "cool" system and Sonic became more popular than Mario at one point. The only reason Genesis lost the war, at least in the U.S., was because Sega pulled the plug on it in 1995 or so in order to focus on the Saturn. The SNES lasted longer and outsold it in NA eventually. Not sure though how Sega's profits from that gen compare to Nintendo's. Sega probably was in the red because they spent so much on marketing.

Anyways, no, it's not that Nintendo was going out of style. They just didn't have the 3rd party support they needed to compete with the PS and PS2.

That's why they're seen as out of style. While Sony currently has the casuals by the balls, and MS has established the Xbox as the cool system, Nintendo hasn't had neither the content nor the marketing to be seen as anything but out-of-style.

They just haven't been BETTER than the competition for the most part.

I just meant I'm used to Nintendo systems being made by losers, for losers. That's all.

Snaku

Banned
AniHawk said:
I just meant I'm used to Nintendo systems being made by losers, for losers. That's all.

sf.gif

A more fitting avatar there never was. :lol

Imagine how I felt when Sony destroyed my Nintendo world. :(

Mar

Heh. I remember when Nintendo ruled the world. I was a Sega fan myself, but owned all of Nintendo's systems anyway.

It's strange to see them become popular again. But it's not hard to see why. The touch screen of the DS is what I'd consider as the very reason it's happened. A new way to control games, it's fun and fresh.

But, who knew it would happen? We all looked at that PSP and thought Nintendo were doomed. Again.

Well done Nintendo.

ethelred

Martoo said:
Heh. I remember when Nintendo ruled the world. I was a Sega fan myself, but owned all of Nintendo's systems anyway.

It's strange to see them become popular again. But it's not hard to see why. The touch screen of the DS is what I'd consider as the very reason it's happened. A new way to control games, it's fun and fresh.

But, who knew it would happen? We all looked at that PSP and thought Nintendo were doomed. Again.

Well done Nintendo.

Hey, I'm not too proud to admit that I thought a two-screened handheld was a pretty stupid idea, and that a touch screen wouldn't really contribute much of anything to gaming.

Nintendo has STOLEN Japan every single generation:

NES and Mario
SENS and Mario
GameBoy and Pokemon
GBA and Pokemon
Nintendo DS and Touch Generations

How do they ALWAYS make cultural phenomenons? EVERY single time they steal Japan.

LanceStern said:
Nintendo has STOLEN Japan every single generation:

NES and Mario
SENS and Mario
GameBoy and Pokemon
GBA and Pokemon
Nintendo DS and Touch Generations

How do they ALWAYS make cultural phenomenons? EVERY single time they steal Japan.

but the 64bit vs PSX :p

Rock_Man

Seems like Famitsu forgot to upload the new hardware data.
I've found the numbers though.
August 7-20 (two weeks!)
DSL  249,331
PSP   85,083
PS2   57,899
GBASP  6,492
GBM   5,069
XB360  2,542
GC    1,960
DS    1,855

Rock_Man said:
August 7-20 (two weeks!)
DSL  249,331
PSP   85,083
PS2   57,899
GBASP  6,492
GBM   5,069
XB360  2,542
GC    1,960
DS    1,855

Famitsu always shows data from 2 weeks ago, MC only 1 week ago

apujanata

Snaku said:
:lol Nintendo should just release a new color or special game edition DS lite every week. Guaranteed 150k+ in weekly hardware sales.

Even without releasing new color every week, DSL managed to achieve 3,967K sales in 35 weeks. The average is 113K sales / week, which is not too far from your expectation (of 150K).

Please note that :
- There are 5 colors in Japan (White, Enamel Navy, Ice Blue, Pink, Jet Black). The Jet Black color sales were not counted in yet (in the 35 weeks sales).
- There is a shortage of DSL. Jonnyram and other people mentioned that the DSL stock usually only survive half days sales (re-stock by Saturday morning, sold out by Saturday noon or afternoon).

ki/oon

Never forget.
kutaragi_psp.jpg

I was actually looking for the pic where he is holding an UMD disc and everyone is like "OMG Nintendo iz doomed !!!".

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Rock_Man said:
August 7-20 (two weeks!)
DSL  249,331
PSP   85,083
PS2   57,899
GBASP  6,492
GBM   5,069
XB360  2,542
GC    1,960
DS    1,855
Thank you good sir. :)

apujanata said:
- There is a shortage of DSL. Jonnyram and other people mentioned that the DSL stock usually only survive half days sales (re-stock by Saturday morning, sold out by Saturday noon or afternoon).

yes, it's correct. And demand is very high, i think they could sell more than 250k evey week...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Guaranteed 150k+ in weekly hardware sales.

... they don't need a new colour to do that, they've been clocking these sort of numbers for 30-odd weeks, it's not the colours that's causing odd spikes, it's just that the lite sells out the second it hits the shelf.

it really is crazy - it's demand on an incredible scale.

GaimeGuy

Mr. Pointy said:
I'll be conservative and say 350k+ DSL sales this week. 300k sales for FF3 and 150k sales for NSMB as well.
350k hardware sales, 300k and 150k sales for two pieces of software, all in one week in one territory.

And that's "conservative."

Wtf have you created, Nintendo?

Mr. Pointy said:
I'll be conservative and say 350k+ DSL sales this week. 300k sales for FF3 and 150k sales for NSMB as well.

They won't have shipped that many during the week unless someone @ Nintendo decided to hold back stock to ship it after the release of FF3 (which absolutely doesn't make sense; the black DS Lite was already sth. like).

Burnst

If every weeks shipment sells out in like one hour and masses line up for just a new color, what's their motive for not producing more at this point?

Top Bottom