• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 21 -27 August CONFIRMED NUMBERS!

Amir0x

Banned
Mike Works said:
What if the mass selling of these allegedly terrible nongames increases the userbase, which in turn increases develop interest, which in turn improves the chances of a unique and innovative piece of software getting created and released for the system?

edit: just now reading this last page, i see this has already been addressed, and you're still being stupid. i'm going to go find a stack of paper so I can bring it back to my desk, sit down, and then throw the papers up in the air while rolling my eyes at disgust.

well, show me the rewards. Since there have been zero, I will discuss these hypotheticals the same as the alternative. There's nothing stupid to the viewpoint, except when it's not marching to the beat of the solitary drum that surrounds DS these days. If the 'develop interest' just creates the same garbage, which so far it has, and that's what's inhabiting the majority of the top ten, then I'm not going to celebrate. The opposite must then be true: I must ignore or mourn, and I choose to just be unhappy about the direction of the industry.

I rarely participate in these threads anymore for that reason, this is an exception.

When I see these things you discuss, these magical lights at the end of the tunnel where in grandma starts to play Fire Emblem and developer rewards create risk and creativity, then there will be some firm foundation for this discussion to continue at any reasonable length. Otherwise, the sort of stance you take toward this perspective is not surprising to me.

E-phonk

Banned
Stop talking about fire emblem - I want a new version so badly : (

Also: great sales, printing money, DS overlords, yadda yadda

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
That one and Tingle RPG are at the top.

Ah, the risks behind exploiting flamboyantly gay characters from Zelda are indeed great. Now all Nintendo needs to do is bring that bitch to the USA. I said yes, damn it!

Lapsed

Banned
Amir0x said:
Exactly though. There's no reason to celebrate because they're NOT buying the Fire Emblems and Okamis. They're buying horrendously designed titles instead, aimed at people who aren't you and I. As a gamer, that's all that matters to me. But, as long as the games I like keep getting sequels no use crying until then

History repeats.

In 1986, computer gamers were playing Adept and Seven Cities of Gold (Electronic Arts published the most creative games back then) and we saw Super Mario Brothers and laughed. "That will never catch on!" Back then, the standard controller was the joystick. That NES gamepad was completely alien back then. Still, the definition of gaming changed as did controllers. It happened again with the rise of 3d (as well as the playstation) and the thumb stick. It looks like it is happening yet again.

Non-Games are the New Games. Welcome the gaming revolution.

AniHawk

Lapsed said:
History repeats.

In 1986, computer gamers were playing Adept and Seven Cities of Gold (Electronic Arts published the most creative games back then) and we saw Super Mario Brothers and laughed. "That will never catch on!" Back then, the standard controller was the joystick. That NES gamepad was completely alien back then. Still, the definition of gaming changed as did controllers. It happened again with the rise of 3d (as well as the playstation) and the thumb stick. It looks like it is happening yet again.

You forgot to mention lapsed gamers.

Amir0x

Banned
Lapsed said:
History repeats.

And, although I don't share your idea that this will be some replacement, your ideology would be exactly another reason why I don't celebrate. If 'non-games' are the 'new games', then the new 'gaming revolution' is terrible and it's only logical to be negative about it.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Repost because my connection ****ed up my edit.

If the DS wasn't there, the sales chart this week would probably just start off with a game that sold 17k or something.

The japanese videogames market is otherwise so swamped with generic rpg and anime branded shit and fast sequels in the hope to make easy money that people were just driven away from it except the hardcore. There, I said it. Games like okami drown not because of braintraining but all the other crap. I mean, how could you tell its quality from all the similar looking stuff? The touch generations games are very straight forward and marketed as such. There are large displays showing the lineup and explaining what they are. There is no cast-of-15-character noise covers here. It is very clean and very approachable. If you go check out the video game section of a japanese department store, you would understand. The nintendo ds section is very well sorted with games given a number of sample boxes in line with their popularity. There is usually only a small number of different games on display - mostly new releases but also games with good legs and the best of niche markets such as ouendan. The psp section on the other hand is usually almost completely random.

I have my girlfriend and her mom hooked on ouendan. The other day she was asking how I could possibly find out about such good stuff. Again, the market is made rather unapproachable by the mass of safe fanservice games.

Did that make any sense?

Amir0x

Banned
I think we're mixing arguments up here. I realize these new pieces of software are currently much more appealing to the Japanese public at large, and that's why they sell. I also realize that Nintendo is making the right moves as a business. And, by extension, I realize that developers will follow the smell of the money.

But none of that benefits me. So, trying to stay on point here, that's why I personally see where Tabris original point is coming from of finding no reason to celebrate.

Farmboy

Tabris said:
That's a DS game. Did you not read my post?

Does that really matter? It's a 'real' (and imho very good) game, it's a sequel and it's selling as good as anything right now. Of course, it's no coincidence that it's on the market leading system. Should we retroactively moan about the death of the Japanese videogame industry circa 2002-2004 because the (very good) games on the non-PS2 consoles just weren't selling?

Just to be clear: do you place the blame of, for example, VP2 selling less than the original squarely (pun not intended) on the popularity on the DS, or do you acknowledge that other factors might have played a role there (end of generation, a general tiring of sequels, whatever) and that maybe, just maybe, sales would have been largely similar if Brain Training and Animal Crossing hadn't even existed?

I'll agree with the death-to-non-games crowd to the extent that I also think the positive effect of these new gamers on the sales of all games, including titles like Valkyrie Profile, is largely overstated. But to imply that the non-game fad and the new gamers it brings in have had a palpable negative impact is, imho, just as silly.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Well, in the DS' draft, rythm tengoku silenty sold about 80k up to the point where it was completely sold out. Ouendan still has a shelf presence.

linsivvi

Amir0x said:
well, show me the rewards. Since there have been zero

The benefit is a new way to increase revenue and sales and keeping video game companies in the black, as opposed to going out of business.

Just how many times can Sega/Sammi/Square/Enix/Namco/Bandai/Taito/Takara/Tomy merge with each others?

Amir0x

Banned
linsivvi said:
The benefit is a new way to increase revenue and sales and keeping video game companies in the black, as opposed to going out of business.

Just how many times can Sega/Sammi/Square/Enix/Namco/Bandi/Taito/Takara/Tomy merge with each others?

I'm not quite sure the benefits have started at this level for any company other than Nintendo and SquareEnix with the release of another FF/DQ game that's going to sell a million (surprise), yet, but I know where you're coming from. I know reality is, dev prices going up, a formally dying Japanese market, etc... they gotta go where consumers want them. And if that helps them stay alive, hey.

My only point is that if they're going to stay out of the black with 'this', then I can't really care ya know? Much to celebrate for nothing.

linsivvi

Amir0x said:
I'm not quite sure the benefits have started at this level for any company other than Nintendo and SquareEnix with the release of another FF/DQ game that's going to sell a million (surprise), yet, but I know where you're coming from. I know reality is, dev prices going up, a formally dying Japanese market, etc... they gotta go where consumers want them. And if that helps them stay alive, hey.

My only point is that if they're going to stay out of the black with 'this', then I can't really care ya know? Much to celebrate for nothing.

Well unless you are holding a very pessimistic view that companies would stop making real games altogether, then the continual survival of these companies could only be a good thing, no? Before the DS mania, the Japanese industry has just been one bad news after another, hasn't it?

marc^o^ said:
Long live the (non) games that elevate gaming out of the ghetto. When all our moms and dads have a DS, gamers won't be seen as nerds anymore.

did you not get the memo? gaming isnt nerdy anymore. its the system you choose that makes you nerdy.

Amir0x

Banned
linsivvi said:
Well unless you are holding a very pessimstic view that companies would stop making real games altogether, then the continual survival of these companies could only be a good thing, no? Before the DS mania, the Japanese industry has just been one bad news after another, hasn't it?

No, I don't think companies will stop making real games. That's silly.

Let me use your point, and others in this thread. Before this 'DS craze', the Japanese industry was declining dramatically. The games we all love, were not doing well. By elostyle's estimation, if these titles weren't around atm and DS wasn't doing its thing the top game might be at 17k or something.

So, the 'survival' of these companies is fine, they gotta do what have to and I don't blame 'em. They do what they must.

But it's not helping to save the games I love, they're still down there selling the 17k or whatever. It's still gonna be Pokemon, Gundam 5000, Final Fantasy, DragonQuest, Winning Eleven at the top... only now with Brain, English, Writing, Cooking Dog Training Deluxe (and whatever game has a Nintendo logo on it) there as well.

Mar

Amir0x said:

Let me use your point, and others in this thread. Before this 'DS craze', the Japanese industry was declining dramatically. The games we all love, were not doing well. By elostyle's estimation, if these titles weren't around atm and DS wasn't doing its thing the top game might be at 17k or something.

So, the 'survival' of these companies is fine, they gotta do what have to and I don't blame 'em. They do what they must.

But it's not helping to save the games I love, they're still down there selling the 17k or whatever. It's still gonna be Pokemon, Gundam 5000, Final Fantasy, DragonQuest, Winning Eleven at the top... only now with Brain, English, Writing, Cooking Dog Training Deluxe (and whatever game has a Nintendo logo on it) there as well.

The solution then would be that they make better games that people want to buy. Right?

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

Untitled-5.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Martoo said:
The solution then would be that they make better games that people want to buy. Right?

Haha, I don't think you're following. But Yes, the solution is exactly what you said. "Make the games people want to buy." That's the double edge sword I'm discussing now ;(

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Y'know, Amir0x, an extremely simple solution would be to change your gaming tastes.

It's not very difficult.

hahaha. well, i guess that's about as simple as turning into AniHawk. Which is not simple at all, believe you me!

(
Note: I can change my gaming taste, but it would still only include actual games
) ;)

AniHawk said:
Yeah Amir0x, you could finally like good things for once.

argh.gif

The benefit to me is these non-games have lit the DS on fire and are enabling record sales for things like Super Mario.

Just in it's first week (despite undershipment) Final Fantasy III already has sold more than pretty much every Square-Enix GBA title did lifetime in Japan. DQ Monsters GBA got a shade above 520k on the GBA (lifetime) but that's about it.

The knock people always give Nintendo that the N64/GC were "just OK", but the third party support was lacking. Well the third party support isn't going to be there if the userbase isn't there. Once the userbase comes, the developer support follows no matter what.

Besides, really if you look at the overall quotient on "non-games" to "games", even on the DS, the ratio is heavily skewed towards "games". I doubt even 10% of the DS library is "non-games".

And hey if people like Brain Training ... good for them. I've played, and while it's not something I'd want every game to be, for what it is, it's pretty damn well executed and fun for what it's trying to do. And if some of these "non-gamers" are dabbling with Super Mario and Final Fantasy ... there's nothing more that can be said except this is a great strategy on Nintendo's part.

The great sales of Final Fantasy III will no doubt bring about more Square-Enix support for the DS, and part of the reason the game was able to sell so much was because the system is so red hot. And it's red hot because of Brain Training/Nintendogs etc. So it all comes together ... which if you're a DS is win-win. I gauruntee if the Wii sells 40-50 million systems, even if its on the back of things like Wii Aerobics/Wii Karaoke, it will bring about a general developer support far greater than the GCN got for regular styled games as well.

The DS is turning into Nintendo's best supported system since the SNES, I think that would've been difficult to achieve without Brain Training/Nintendogs. For me as a consumer, that's win-win, I'm getting more support overall for a system I've purchased.

Lapsed

Banned
AniHawk said:

You forgot to be funny.

Amir0x said:
And, although I don't share your idea that this will be some replacement, your ideology would be exactly another reason why I don't celebrate. If 'non-games' are the 'new games', then the new 'gaming revolution' is terrible and it's only logical to be negative about it.

Ideology? No, I'm talking history here.

You aren't saying anything new, Amir0x. The same complaint has been made before throughout the years when the game industry changed. Some people like the changes. Other people don't. Life goes on.

This is a copycat industry where anything best selling gets heavily copied. After GTA3, everyone copied that. With the success of these so-called 'non-games', they are going to become highly copied. As years go by, before you know it, the game industry has changed. There will still be sequels to your favorite games, but they will become less and less as time goes on. Ten years from now, or even perhaps five, the games will be very different than what most people here grew up with.

I would love to have 2d console gaming back. But that is from 1990. I would love to have games like Archon back. But that is from 1983. The definition of gaming changes over time. I've had to accept that. You will too.

AniHawk

Lapsed said:

You aren't saying anything new, Amir0x. The same complaint has been made before throughout the years when the game industry changed. Some people like the changes. Other people don't. Life goes on.

This is a copycat industry where anything best selling gets heavily copied. After GTA3, everyone copied that. With the success of these so-called 'non-games', they are going to become highly copied. As years go by, before you know it, the game industry has changed. There will still be sequels to your favorite games, but they will become less and less as time goes on. Ten years from now, or even perhaps five, the games will be very different than what most people here grew up with.

I would love to have 2d console gaming back. But that is from 1990. I would love to have games like Archon back. But that is from 1983. The definition of gaming changes over time. I've had to accept that. You will too.

Amir0x

Banned
Lapsed said:

Right, I have accepted it. The whole point of the discussion is why one wouldn't celebrate this change, as Tabris brought up, and I believe it's firmly been established there's legitimate concerns for people.

No doubt, you either learn to live with these things or you don't.

Mar

Amir0x said:
Haha, I don't think you're following. But Yes, the solution is exactly what you said. "Make the games people want to buy." That's the double edge sword I'm discussing now ;(

I see what you are saying.

But I was just trying to suggest that they make these so called, normal games, better and more interesting for the collective hardcore gamer to buy. We're hardcore gamers right? I buy more 'normal games' than I do 'non games'. But I have quite a few of both. But if we're being honest, the percentage of crap normal games must be close to 95% of every game released. At least as far as I'm concerned. If they were better, I might buy more. If that is multiplied by every other hardcore gamer, then we'd see something different in the charts.

Perhaps people are interested in a change. Something fresh. And that's why the DS has exploded. The best example I could give is the Wii. There's no way in the world I'd consider buying say, Rayman, Madden, and other 'generic' titles, if it was just the same thing but with better graphics. A generic platformer and sports game? Bleh. But throw in the interesting control, including things such as cool mini games with said control (such as in Rayman), it will be something fresh and new, and fun to play while everyone gets drunk at a party. This could actually be quite cool.

I don't know. I just see this whole different strategy that Nintendo is going for as something good. I may not buy Cooking Dogs Extreme (my wife will though), but I know I wouldn't even give something like Rayman even a first look, let alone a second, on any other console. Instead I'm looking at picking up about 7 or more games on Wii launch day. This is unheard of. I haven't done that since.... the C64? Megadrive?

Lapsed said:
You forgot to be funny.

The only problem is that the idea of games has been evolving fairly consistently, and the variety getting larger. I like Brain Training, but it's not evolution. It's not something that hasn't been done before. And with these sorts of games being exceptionally cheap to make and dominating the chart, we may wind up with stagnation.

I don't think the situation is that dire, and I certainly don't think the position we're in now is perfect either, but the suggestion that interactive quizzes and cell phone titles are the future of games is worrying to me.

EDIT: Actually, just realised that Brain Training is a pretty good example of evolution. Survival of the fittest, natural selection and all that.

Amir0x

Banned
Martoo said:
I see what you are saying.

But I was just trying to suggest that they make these so called, normal games, better and more interesting for the collective hardcore gamer to buy. We're hardcore gamers right? I buy more 'normal games' than I do 'non games'. But I have quite a few of both. But if we're being honest, the percentage of crap normal games must be close to 95% of every game released. At least as far as I'm concerned. If they were better, I might buy more. If that is multiplied by every other hardcore gamer, then we'd see something different in the charts.

Perhaps people are interested in a change. Something fresh. And that's why the DS has exploded. The best example I could give is the Wii. There's no way in the world I'd consider buying say, Rayman, Madden, and other 'generic' titles, if it was just the same thing but with better graphics. A generic platformer and sports game? Bleh. But throw in the interesting control, including things such as cool mini games with said control (such as in Rayman), it will be something fresh and new, and fun to play while everyone gets drunk at a party. This could actually be quite cool.

I don't know. I just see this whole different strategy that Nintendo is going for as something good. I may not buy Cooking Dogs Extreme (my wife will though), but I know I wouldn't even give something like Rayman even a first look, let alone a second, on any other console. Instead I'm looking at picking up about 7 or more games on Wii launch day. This is unheard of. I haven't done that since.... the C64? Megadrive?

I totally see where you're coming from. My issue is, see, I would give a Rayman game a second look. I love Rayman. And they turned it into minigames or something with the new 'control scheme' :(

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
I totally see where you're coming from. My issue is, see, I would give a Rayman game a second look. I love Rayman. And they turned it into minigames or something with the new 'control scheme' :(

How dare you question Michael Ancel. You should trust him better than to churn out a Mario Party or Wario Ware clone.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
How dare you question Michael Ancel. You should trust him better than to churn out a Mario Party or Wario Ware clone.

but that's how it's described! I'm sure it'll be the best Wario Ware clone ever because of Ancel though :p

Bottom line is these FF3 sales ensure more Square-Enix support in the future.

So quite frankly if it took Nintendogs/Brian Training to get Nintendo back to be the king fish in Japan, so be it. Truth is, I played more Brain Training than I did Pokemon anyway.

Because it means I'm going to get more Square-Enix titles for my DS. How is that not benefiting the gamer?

Someone should make a theatrical movie on the DS. A DS biography, if you will. It should follow the events of when it was first announced then unveiled, to today where it pwns the sales charts. It should include all the doubtful doom&gloom comments made about the DS when it was announced, both by big industry people and gamers, especially GAFFers. Then it would gradually fall into the age of DS domination. A true success story. It could be a long epic trilogy. It would be called...

DS THE MOVIE: Believe

I can already think up some of the cast.

Ken Kutaragi = Jackie Chan

Jet Li = Kaz Hirai

Bruce Willis = J Allard (minor character)

Nicholas Cage = Peter Moore (another minor character)

Clint Eastwood = Yamauchi

I think they situation right now is extremely difficult to quantify, because other than this past week, Nintendo alone has reaped most of the benefits of the DSomination.

I somehow don't think Nintendo's strategy is going to shift more to nongames. Look at NSMB - it's set to reach 3 million units faster than any DS 'nongame' before it.

And that, I believe, is indicative of what Nintendo's trying to do. Take Final Fantasy III. Average nongamer has a DS and Brain Training, Animal Crossing, whatever. She's happy with it. However, she runs across tonnes of flyers announcing the release of a Final Fantasy game for the DS. She's never played a Final Fantasy game before, knows next to nothing about it. However, she thinks 'Hm, that gamer son of mine always talks about this game... Maybe I could give it a try.' So she buys it. If enough people do that, *snaps fingers* expanded market for both nongames and traditional games.

However, I'm not telling you anything new. We all realized this was Nintendo's strategy a while ago. And at least in part, it appears to be working. Look at NSMB, FFIII, CoM, Hoops, etc. They're selling more than equivalent counterparts on older or competing systems.

Yes, one can point to the sales of say, Okami and Yakuza or whatever in order to show that games that tanked before still tank now. But that's the issue - until the DS, that was normal.

The sum total of what the DS has done for traditional gaming is this - It has improved several areas, and quite frankly, has not hurt any areas. Stuff that has remained untouched continues the trend - stuff that gets affected by the DS grow legs.

That's why we, who are happy for DS sales, are hopeful - we've seen evidence that (as far as the DS goes) traditional gaming gets a boost on the system as well. But this is still in the infancy. If a couple more years down the road, only the 'nongames' continue to sell well, only Nintendo fanboys will squeal with glee at DS owning the charts.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
soundwave05 said:
The benefit to me is these non-games have lit the DS on fire and are enabling record sales for things like Super Mario.

Just in it's first week (despite undershipment) Final Fantasy III already has sold more than pretty much every Square-Enix GBA title did lifetime in Japan. DQ Monsters GBA got a shade above 520k on the GBA (lifetime) but that's about it.

The knock people always give Nintendo that the N64/GC were "just OK", but the third party support was lacking. Well the third party support isn't going to be there if the userbase isn't there. Once the userbase comes, the developer support follows no matter what.

Besides, really if you look at the overall quotient on "non-games" to "games", even on the DS, the ratio is heavily skewed towards "games". I doubt even 10% of the DS library is "non-games".

And hey if people like Brain Training ... good for them. I've played, and while it's not something I'd want every game to be, for what it is, it's pretty damn well executed and fun for what it's trying to do. And if some of these "non-gamers" are dabbling with Super Mario and Final Fantasy ... there's nothing more that can be said except this is a great strategy on Nintendo's part.

The great sales of Final Fantasy III will no doubt bring about more Square-Enix support for the DS, and part of the reason the game was able to sell so much was because the system is so red hot. And it's red hot because of Brain Training/Nintendogs etc. So it all comes together ... which if you're a DS is win-win. I gauruntee if the Wii sells 40-50 million systems, even if its on the back of things like Wii Aerobics/Wii Karaoke, it will bring about a general developer support far greater than the GCN got for regular styled games as well.

The DS is turning into Nintendo's best supported system since the SNES, I think that would've been difficult to achieve without Brain Training/Nintendogs. For me as a consumer, that's win-win, I'm getting more support overall for a system I've purchased.
I defy anyone to find a flaw in this logic. Nice said soundwave.

Chris Michael said:
Someone should make a theatrical movie on the DS. A DS biography, if you will. It should follow the events of when it was first announced then unveiled, to today where it pwns the sales charts. It should include all the doubtful doom&gloom comments made about the DS when it was announced, both by big industry people and gamers, especially GAFFers. Then it would gradually fall into the age of DS domination. A true success story. It could be a long epic trilogy. It would be called...

DS THE MOVIE: Believe

I can already think up some of the cast.

Ken Kutaragi = Jackie Chan

Jet Li = Kaz Hirai

Bruce Willis = J Allard (minor character)

Nicholas Cage = Peter Moore (another minor character)

Clint Eastwood = Yamauchi

No Iwata or Miyamoto or Reggie? For shame.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
marc^o^ said:
I defy anyone to find a flow in this logic. Nice said soundwave.
Here's one: FFIII first week < FFXII first week.

Then again, I suppose it would be better to compare FFIII to, say, FFIV Advance and FF Origins for the PSX

Amir0x

Banned
GaimeGuy said:

Then again, I suppose it would be better to compare FFIII to, say, FFIV Advance and FF Origins for the PSX

AND that's not really fair anyway, because

a.) FFXII shipped WAY more on the first week than FFIII did
b.) FFIII is really the first TRUE Final Fantasy remake (esp 2D->3D), not just a port with additional content/new translation, so it's only natural that it'd sell more than FFIV Advance/FF Origins due to having more effort put behind it

GaimeGuy said:

Here's another one --

FFIII on the DS probably cost 1/8th of what FFXII did to develop, in addition to the fact that it's a remake instead of a new FF game.

So if FFIII sells 1-1.5 million copies, lets just say Square-Enix isn't going to be complaining one bit.

And that means more Square-Enix support for my DS.

Top Bottom