• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 21 -27 August CONFIRMED NUMBERS!

Nutter

Tabris said:
Except for the bolded, this is the worst list I've ever seen. I rather have Madden 2018 and Grand Theft Auto Ohio than this crap. JP market has officially sunk past the NA's crappy taste in gaming in my opinion.

Rock on FF3 though!
Rune Factory(harvest moon)? Mario Basketball? Animal Crossing?

I am sure if PSP was dominating the charts with these games, it would be "GAME OVER DS, GAME OVER" coming from you.

Dalthien

Mike Works said:
Do you remember when the PSP and DS were unveiled? The DS was this neat little side system until the next Game Boy came along, and the two screens and stylus were also neat, but the PSP, look at the graphics on that thing. And it plays movies and holds MP3's and other video files. And look at the price they're releasing it for in Japan!!

And look how none of that mattered at all.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Wii does, specifically in Japan. All bets are off at this point. If the Wii can cater to a similar demographic that these Brain Training games do, Iwata will look like one of the smartest men in the industry in years.
I still get a chuckle at Sony's comments (Phil Harrison in particular) about the DS when it was first announced. They initially began the design of the PSP to compete head-to-head with Nintendo's next GameBoy iteration. Once they saw this strange 2-screened, touch-screen, underpowered contraption called the DS that Nintendo was going to use to compete against the PSP, Sony almost fell over with glee, assuming that Nintendo had just basically handed the GBA crown over to Sony. They couldn't possibly imagine that this awkward, newfangled oddity would provide any sort of competition to the sleek, elegant, powerful PSP. I am sure that there are some folks within Sony who are still trying to figure out what the hell happened.

Here are some of the outrageously hilarious comments from Sony brass following the DS unveiling. It always provides a good laugh to dig these up again.

Selected Sony Quotes said:
"The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance, those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth."

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."

"Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it's pretty much defined by a boy or girl's ability to admire Pokemon."

"PSP will elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming ghetto, and Sony is the only company that can do it,"

Joe Molotov

Tabris said:
I played Animal Crossing on the GCN. It's Harvest Moon meets The Sims. Both of those games also being trash. Playing old NES games was cool though.

I've played Brain Age for 5 minutes than gave it back to my friend and played a real game like Castlevania (which didn't sell well).

Otherwise, the rest are related to the above.

I don't know what Rune Factory is though.

Have you tried playing them without the PSP Goggles on?

solid-eye-1142284609419-440_330.jpg

Markster

ironichaos said:
Obligatory...

DS-money-fast.gif
This cannot be understated.

And surely, in the past 10 years, there was at least one week where the PS or PS2 owned all 10 spots, right? Is this really unprecedented?

Vargas

Markster said:
This cannot be understated.

And surely, in the past 10 years, there was at least one week where the PS or PS2 owned all 10 spots, right? Is this really unprecedented?

Considering the state of releases on the N64, I am sure it happened numerous times with the PS1.

mj1108

cvxfreak said:
Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire lines (some actually shared with Biohazard 0):

103_8959_Dsc_0018.jpg
103_8959_Dsc_00.jpg
103_8959_Dsc_0064.jpg

103_8959_akihabara1121b.jpg
103_8959_akihabara1121a.jpg
103_8956_hannbai.jpg
103_8956_gyoure.jpg

Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen lines:

h-103_20632_pokef01.jpg.jpg
h-103_20632_pokef02.jpg.jpg
h-103_20633_Dsc_2118.jpg.jpg

h-103_20633_Dsc_2114.jpg.jpg
h-103_20633_Dsc_2138.jpg.jpg
h-103_20633_Dsc_2134.jpg.jpg

What's going to be fun to watch with Diamond and Pearl is that Nintendo is also releasing 2 colors of DS's to go along with them. :lol They should sell riot gear on that day as well.

Japan am asplode.

cvxfreak

Tabris said:
Except for the bolded, this is the worst list I've ever seen. I rather have Madden 2018 and Grand Theft Auto Ohio than this crap. JP market has officially sunk past the NA's crappy taste in gaming in my opinion.

Rock on FF3 though!

This just in: Japan doesn't give a crap about our opinions.

Link648099 said:
My response to the sales numbers: Unbelievable.

In response to your post...you know I have been playing games for 18 years. I have seen a lot of things, and the DS fad in Japan is of much interest in general but I hadn't truly "bleived" in it until these last few sales charts. I mean...come on...DS owns the top 10 completely? That's absurd. Iwata is definitely a smart smart man though. I have seen this before, and this shows it moreso. Let's see what he has done with Wii though. And pokemon? Lol. Just lol.
I thought the DS being underpowered was a flat out bad idea. I thought Nintendo had always had pretty strong hardware (this was before the Wii was unveiled) for both their console and handheld realms (although less so handheld wise because they were rarely challenged), and making their next one so underpowered was going to hurt them- specifically in contrast to what Sony was offering. Maybe it was because of my North American mentality, but I just didn't see this bulky, foreign (non gameboy) device being a pillar, let alone a good idea.

But I, and a whole lot of people were wrong. And oddly enough, the DS performing so, so well has actually taken a lot of sting people would have felt when the Wii's power was revealed, off. Instead of seeing a system with shitty graphics, I think a ton of people are looking at that console as fitting the same category as the DS- something that may not be beefed up technically, but something that will be really easy to get into, something new that I've never played before, and just flat out something different.

If you look at any videogame magazine- cover or inside- or browse videogame sites or even watch videogame shows, graphics are always, always at the forefront of discussion, be it for reviews, previews, or unveilings. Army of Two gets unveiled? Holy shit look at those graphics. Hey, is it co op?

People don't ask if it's co op first off, they don't ask how it controls, what the camera's like... the first thing they're exposed and expose them self to are the graphics, and it's pretty amazing that (thus far) Nintendo has succeeded in deflecting the weakest point of both their current handheld and upcoming console so well. We're getting at the point where people are looking at games like Mario Galaxy, Madden 2007, and Rayman, and are complementing (aspects) of their graphics. Nintendo's already lowered the bar if you will with the mindsets of a whole lot of gamers when it comes to their machines' graphical capabilities, and they've got a lot of them to accept it already. I wholey believe that the heightened pace at which they were able to achieve this is in part thanks to the DS already forming this mindset before the Wii's graphical capabilities were even revealed.

They've done an amazing job with a machine that I thought was a mistake. It'll be really interesting to see what they do with one I think's a good idea.

Tabris said:

Rock on FF3 though!

This just confirms it, Guys like this don't have the gaming soul.

(Sub-contiously, he likes to kill - he likes Killing Simulations - GTA)
(He's got a disease called - Sequelities No-Improvities - He likes games sequels that is no different from the last one, he likes High Definition Sweat on the players) :D

cvxfreak

NintendosBooger said:
Gameboy says hi.

Yeah, Pokemon was around for a long time, and N64/Saturn/Dreamcast games broke into the top 10 regularly.

future_pinoy said:
This just confirms it, Guys like this don't have the gaming soul.

(Sub-contiously, he likes to kill - he likes Killing Simulations - GTA)
(He's got a disease called - Sequelities No-Improvities - He likes games sequels that is no different from the last one, he likes High Definition Sweat on the players) :D

It's your typical western perspective on Japan that brings about these kinds of negative opinions. I'd say it's a cultural misunderstanding that brings about such harshly negative opinions.

I mean, anyone who considers English Training as a bad thing needs to actually visit Japan.

ethelred

Mike Works said:
I thought the DS being underpowered was a flat out bad idea. I thought Nintendo had always had pretty strong hardware (this was before the Wii was unveiled) for both their console and handheld realms (although less so handheld wise because they were rarely challenged), and making their next one so underpowered was going to hurt them- specifically in contrast to what Sony was offering. Maybe it was because of my North American mentality, but I just didn't see this bulky, foreign (non gameboy) device being a pillar, let alone a good idea.

But I, and a whole lot of people were wrong. And oddly enough, the DS performing so, so well has actually taken a lot of sting people would have felt when the Wii's power was revealed, off. Instead of seeing a system with shitty graphics, I think a ton of people are looking at that console as fitting the same category as the DS- something that may not be beefed up technically, but something that will be really easy to get into, something new that I've never played before, and just flat out something different.

If you look at any videogame magazine- cover or inside- or browse videogame sites or even watch videogame shows, graphics are always, always at the forefront of discussion, be it for reviews, previews, or unveilings. Army of Two gets unveiled? Holy shit look at those graphics. Hey, is it co op?

People don't ask if it's co op first off, they don't ask how it controls, what the camera's like... the first thing they're exposed and expose them self to are the graphics, and it's pretty amazing that (thus far) Nintendo has succeeded in deflecting the weakest point of both their current handheld and upcoming console so well. We're getting at the point where people are looking at games like Mario Galaxy, Madden 2007, and Rayman, and are complementing (aspects) of their graphics. Nintendo's already lowered the bar if you will with the mindsets of a whole lot of gamers when it comes to their machines' graphical capabilities, and they've got a lot of them to accept it already. I wholey believe that the heightened pace at which they were able to achieve this is in part thanks to the DS already forming this mindset before the Wii's graphical capabilities were even revealed.

They've done an amazing job with a machine that I thought was a mistake. It'll be really interesting to see what they do with one I think's a good idea.

Wow. You're two for two in this thread -- great post, and you've pretty much summed up my own stance on things 100%.

cvxfreak said:
Yeah, Pokemon was around for a long time, and N64/Saturn/Dreamcast games broke into the top 10 regularly.

It's your typical western perspective on Japan that brings about these kinds of negative opinions. I'd say it's a cultural misunderstanding that brings about such harshly negative opinions.

I mean, anyone who considers English Training as a bad thing needs to actually visit Japan.

Personally, I don't think I'll ever understand how anyone can get as personally offended by a list of high selling games as some of the anti-DS people do. It's like it really hurts them on the inside that people are buying something which isn't personally appealing as a game to the individual doing the spittle-flecked ranting.

I just can't grasp that mindset. Plenty of games I don't care about sell. Who really cares?

Tabris

PSP, PS2, Gamecube, or XBox. Anything.

The sales chart lacks anything from any other platform.

That means games like Okami, Samurai Warriors 2, Valkyrie Profile 2, Final Fantasy 12, Yakuza, Baten Kaitos 2, etc, etc aren't on the list at all and won't ever have "legs", but 4 training games, 2 sim games and 4 other DS games are and constantly sell.

So with that, except to say "Wow, DS is awesome! We love the DS", what's the point of sale threads anymore when it's just going to be the DS every time?

Hell, quality JP titles are actually doing better in the NA market than in JP due to the DS craze. Games like Kingdom Hearts 2 and Shadow of the Colossus have sold more in NA.

mj1108

Tabris said:

That means games like Okami, Samurai Warriors 2, Valkyrie Profile 2, Final Fantasy 12, Yakuza, Baten Kaitos 2, etc, etc aren't on the list at all and won't ever have "legs", but 4 training games, 2 sim games and 4 other DS games are and constantly sell.

So with that, except to say "Wow, DS is awesome! We love the DS", what's the point of sale threads anymore when it's just going to be the DS every time?

Hell, quality JP titles are actually doing better in the NA market than in JP due to the DS craze. Games like Kingdom Hearts 2 and Shadow of the Colossus have sold more in NA.

We can tell...it hurts you. We all know if it was a different story you wouldn't be saying this kind of thing.

Drakken

Dalthien said:
"The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance, those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth."

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."

"Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it's pretty much defined by a boy or girl's ability to admire Pokemon."

"PSP will elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming ghetto, and Sony is the only company that can do it,"

Reading those quotes now is hilarious. :lol

Moor-Angol said:
Sega already knows how to make profits from DS, there is that girl game Love & Belly and also a porting from the Sengoku arcade card game that is one of the most played in Japan.
Really only CapCom seems to miss DS at the moment... oh, i forgot.. the have Gyakuten Saiban 4 (Phoenix Wright) in development

Well, I was going more along the lines of blockbuster hits (i.e., FFIII, Tam, and now possibly Winning Eleven). Capcom deserves to see similar success with the DS, IMO, but they still haven't found that game/franchise that could do it on the same level as the aforementioned titles.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Tabris said:

Rock on FF3 though!
Why? Are you trying to tell me you'd rather broken games like X-Men: The Official Game, Over the Hedge, or 50 Cent Bulletproof sell better than Brain Age, Harvest Moon, or Mario Sports? The JP market isn't any worse than any other imo.

Actually, your argument doesn't even make sense since Brain Age and Big Brain Academy have been in NPD's top 25 since release. These new games and the usual crap are what makes up NA's top charts for the most part now. NA and EU are just as bad as they've always been if not worse now.

Tabris

ethelred said:
I just can't grasp that mindset. Plenty of games I don't care about sell. Who really cares?

Because sales affect the next game being developed. They change the type of games companies develop and the assets given to various studios by the publishers.

I mean isn't that why we're all posting in these threads? To find out the sales of games we care about so that we get more of the same style. I mean why are you posting in this thread other than to cheer on the DS? Do you only play games on the DS? If not, then why you cheering this on?

Also for the record, I own 4 western games in my entire library.

Halo, Halo 2, Shaq Fu (to own the "worst game ever") and Knights of the Old Republic.

Oh, and I guess Secret of Evermore counts too.

cvxfreak

ethelred said:
Personally, I don't think I'll ever understand how anyone can get as personally offended by a list of high selling games as some of the anti-DS people do. It's like it really hurts them on the inside that people are buying something which isn't personally appealing as a game to the individual doing the spittle-flecked ranting.

I'm by no means an expert on Japan, but I'm currently reading a book called Pursuit of History and while it may sound proposterous to bring up in a videogame sales thread, there's so much eerie connection between what's described in the book and what goes on here.

Basically, when examining certain phenomenon or history, people tend to have this prejudiced, judgmental view when looking at it that stems from not looking at said phenomena or history with the proper perspective and context of what it actually deals with. Basically, many anti-DS people are making judgments on Japan with western perspectives. That's why these people think that English Training is an abomination when it's actually improving the ability of those 1.4 Million Japanese people to communicate with the English speaking world. The same goes with the DS Cookbook and the travel games and everything else.

Saying that Japan has bad taste is simply ignorant.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Well, a pretty big drop for NSMB, lots of people were saying FF3 would boost it, but I figured it'd more likely hurt it, being a full price game. NSMB gave the Brain games boosts because they're about 20 bucks, but FF3 is already expensive as it is, so buying another full price game along with it wasn't likely. And a 90% sell through for FF3? That 10% most likely didn't sell due to geographical reasons.

I'm really surprised at the legs that Mario 3 on 3 is having. A basketball game? Even if it is Mario. That's just insane. Imagine if SE made a Mario baseball or soccer game for the DS.

Seems the boost that ACWW got for its new ad campaign has worn off some.

I really hope that since that Nintendo can meet demand for DSLs when Pokemon is released. There will be chaos. Maybe they've been hoarding about 50k a month since the DSL was released in preparation for P day.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I'm really surprised at the legs that Mario 3 on 3 is having. A basketball game? Even if it is Mario. That's just insane. Imagine if SE made a Mario baseball or soccer game for the DS..

Come to think of it, with Camelot gone, I wouldn't mind seeing a Mario Golf/Tennis RPG for the DS by Square-Enix, like the MG/T RPG's for the GBC/GBA.

Or maybe SE could make...
Golden Sun 3 for the DS?
:D

hmm.. Interesting sales..

The biggest thing with Pokemon D/P is that its a brand new game.. not like firered leaf green which were just remakes with a lot of added content..

This will be like silver/gold rub/sapphire... (Not crystal emerald)

it will be amazing to see its sales.

Deku

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I'm by no means an expert on Japan, but I'm currently reading a book called Pursuit of History and while it may sound proposterous to bring up in a videogame sales thread, there's so much eerie connection between what's described in the book and what goes on here.

Basically, when examining certain phenomenon or history, people tend to have this prejudiced, judgmental view when looking at it that stems from not looking at said phenomena or history with the proper perspective and context of what it actually deals with. Basically, many anti-DS people are making judgments on Japan with western perspectives. That's why these people think that English Training is an abomination when it's actually improving the ability of those 1.4 Million Japanese people to communicate with the English speaking world. The same goes with the DS Cookbook and the travel games and everything else.

If people posting on GAF truly buy into the anti-DS garbage they post , then they're hopeless retards. I suspect some level of that goes on in the unconcious but most of it are probably exageratted rationalizaitons intentionally written that way.

mj1108

PezRadar said:
hmm.. Interesting sales..

The biggest thing with Pokemon D/P is that its a brand new game.. not like firered leaf green which were just remakes with a lot of added content..

This will be like silver/gold rub/sapphire... (Not crystal emerald)

it will be amazing to see its sales.

....plus they can trade and battle online.

ethelred

cvxfreak said:
That's why these people think that English Training is an abomination when it's actually improving the ability of those 1.4 Million Japanese people to communicate with the English speaking world. The same goes with the DS Cookbook and the travel games and everything else.

Hey, I'd kill for some of that stuff to come out here in the US -- a piece of software to help me learn a different language in a fun way, while using it on the go and in short spurts? That'd be great. How many gamers here can honestly say they'd have no interest at all in something like that in America that'd help them learn kanji or kana -- help them pronounce the sounds (through the microphone) as well as draw the symbols (touch screen) and learn the meaning?

To sit here and say that people buying a similar piece of software have deplorable taste is really just a bit startling.

cvxfreak said:

Yeah, but we've got that in spades here.

Tabris said:
Because sales affect the next game being developed. They change the type of games companies develop and the assets given to various studios by the publishers.

Not really. Establishing new markets and bringing new demographics into gaming helps the industry expand -- sure, developers and publishers will then begin devoting money towards sustaining that growth and maintaining the interest of that new demographic, but they're doing so with NEW money, money brought in by that very same market expansion. And any money left over gets to be used for... you guessed it, traditional games that'll still have higher development costs but bring in pretty sweet profits.

Neither Nintendo nor any other major publisher is going to look at this and say, "Okay, we've got a new demographic of female gamers and older people... let's just devote billions of dollars to games that require minimal budgets/dev-teams (creating a market saturation that'll cause the entire industry to tank) and ignore these other demographics and thus lose out on all the profit we can make from those gamers, too."

That's not going to happen. It simply is not. And sitting here insisting that it will is utterly ignorant and misguided (and something you promised you wouldn't do anymore after you lost your inane bet).

Vargas said:
Considering the state of releases on the N64, I am sure it happened numerous times with the PS1.
Check ioi's charts. They're pretty interesting to go through. As for the top 10 all being on one console, I'm thinking it probably happened multiple times with the SNES.

bmf said:
Check ioi's charts. They're pretty interesting to go through. As for the top 10 all being on one console, I'm thinking it probably happened multiple times with the SNES.
But wouldn't Genesis and GameBoy cause interference? Maybe for the NES generation, though. But there was no tracking like this at the time.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Tabris said:

those games as much as I like them do not have massive appeal seriously you cant blame the public for not buying something you like, that's just stupid.

Tabris

No one's answering my question about why are you posting in a sales thread if it's nothing but a single handheld/series of games dominating the chart?

Why would you cheer this on unless you only played games on the DS?

AniHawk

Tabris said:

It's been like that for a while, Tabris. I'm not surprised you haven't seen it happen, though.

Hero

Tabris said:

I mean isn't that why we're all posting in these threads? To find out the sales of games we care about so that we get more of the same style. I mean why are you posting in this thread other than to cheer on the DS? Do you only play games on the DS? If not, then why you cheering this on?

Also for the record, I own 4 western games in my entire library.

Halo, Halo 2, Shaq Fu (to own the "worst game ever") and Knights of the Old Republic.

Oh, and I guess Secret of Evermore counts too.

Every single time you post I filled with intense hatred. Why is it that everything post is filled with faulty logic?

Let's start by taking a look at your tag. Remember the Mother 3 incident? Oh, no way it can sell. It doesn't appeal, it's a forgotten franchise!

How about this week with FFIII?

Anybody who would prefer the 50th version of Madden or Grand Theft Auto to sell better than stuff like Brain Training, Animal Crossing, and NSBM is an idiot. These games are expanding the audience for video games and that means more games for everyone. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

Tabris

Error2k4 said:
those games as much as I like them do not have massive appeal seriously you cant blame the public for not buying something you like, that's just stupid.

Those games (not specifically, but any game similar to it or the previous in the sequel) owned the charts 1 year ago. The top 10 was filled with those games from various platforms. Go back 3 years ago and the chart was a diverse list of PS2, Gamecube, GBA and Wonderswan games. It was interesting.

The chart hasn't changed in the last year. Lastest DS craze, Brain Training, Animal Crossing and a Mario title. Nothing else registers on the charts.

Yet each chart post gets 5+ pages when 3 years ago, it didn't. Why is that?

Nicktals

Banned
Tabris said:

Alright, I'm gonna make up some numbers here. People can inform me of the correct numbers and I'll edit them in. Let's say Brain Training 2 cost 1 million dollars to make, and sold 6 million copies worldwide. Let's say Nintendo made 10 dollars on each copy sold. They just made 60 million dollars. Do you think they're going to invest 60 million dollars into the next Brain Training? Why would they? They can make that kind of insane profit by investing a million dollars, so they'll put that excess profit into other games, which will give every type of gamer (non-gamer (is non-gamer now categorized as a type of gamer?) to hardcore gamer) a higher quality product. I don't see the problem here. My parents and non-gaming brother/sister-in-law have all asked me to buy Brain Training. Are you just against expanding the market in general? I just don't understand your mindset AT ALL.

Amir0x

Banned
i guess it's a matter of care. if 90% of all the games with 'mass appeal' are atrocious pieces of shit, as they tend to be here, then the point of celebrating is a little bit cut off at the legs. If the genuinely good games like the Fire Emblems, like the Okamis sold 3 million then the celebration would be a bit more entertaining.

but if you like those hilariously terrible nongames, aside from things named Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Pokemon, then it'll be something worth celebrating. it's all perspective, i suppose.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Actually, I've only played DS recently.... and gba.

And I too would very much like an english version of the cookbook software. I doubt that it will cut into my hardcore gaming time, however.

Hero

No one's answering my question about why are you posting in a sales thread if it's nothing but a single handheld/series of games dominating the chart?

Why would you cheer this on unless you only played games on the DS?

Maybe because this is showing the direction where video games are going in the future? Obviously Nintendo did something right with the DS, and I believe they can repeat this kind of success with the Wii. Refer to Mike Works' post further up the page to further own yourself.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Tabris said:
Those games (not specifically, but any game similar to it or the previous in the sequel) owned the charts 1 year ago. The top 10 was filled with those games from various platforms. Go back 3 years ago and the chart was a diverse list of PS2, Gamecube, GBA and Wonderswan games. It was interesting.

The chart hasn't changed in the last year. Lastest DS craze, Brain Training, Animal Crossing and a Mario title. Nothing else registers on the charts.
so basically it's "I'm bitter the DS is selling so good" yeah I know it hurts :p

i guess it's a matter of care. if 90% of all the games with 'mass appeal' are atrocious pieces of shit, as they tend to be here, then the point of celebrating is a little bit cut off at the legs. If the genuinely good games like the Fire Emblems, like the Okamis sold 3 million then the celebration would be a bit more entertaining.

but if you like those hilariously terrible nongames, aside from things named Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Pokemon, then it'll be something worth celebrating. it's all perspective, i suppose.
shit Ami, FE has never sold more than 1 million never ever you should know better than that and Okami as much as you people like it, it's a niche title in the end Im seriously surprise you expect those game to sell over a 1 million copies are you people out of your minds?

Okami would have sell the same even if the DS wasnt owning the charts seriously people get a clue.

ethelred

AniHawk said:
It's been like that for a while, Tabris. I'm not surprised you haven't seen it happen, though.

Of course. There are plenty of Japanese games that sell more in the US market. I'm surprised anyone finds that surprising. Course, there are many more games that still sell better in Japan than they do in the US.

Tabris said:

Ummm... sure, they owned the top 10 chart, but how much were they selling? Can you point to an appreciable drop in the actual sales of these games as a result of the "non-games?"

Or is it that these games are selling as well now as they were a year ago only now there are additional games selling just as well (IE, an expansion of the market, not a deterioration or groundshift)?

Or is it that some of these games are selling even better than they would have a year ago (FF3 outselling in one week the LTDs of every Square Enix game but one sort of lends credence to this)?

These are relevant questions to address, Tab.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

Fire Emblem has been on a slow decline for a long time now. The GBA boosted the series' popularity once more, but each entry after the first was less and less well-received.

What everyone is seeing is a decline of the market like it has been for a long time now in Japan + a huge new fanbase. The new guys aren't buying Brain Training instead of Okami. The new guys wouldn't have bought Okami at all.

Deku

Banned
Error2k4 said:
so basically it's "I'm bitter the DS is selling so good" yeah I know it hurts :p

Note his turn of phrase ' DS craze of the past year' obviously he didn't see it coming and now that it has come, he's framing it in terms of something he can dismiss. Tabris is like DS trolling university, if you see his posts, you know what all of the rest of them will write. They follow the same script and thinking patterns.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Tabris said:
Yet each chart post gets 5+ pages when 3 years ago, it didn't. Why is that?
Because people like you feel determined to enter every single one of them to bitch and stir the pot.

Top Bottom