• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/12 - 3/18

To those who believe that Pokemon has died down. I am very in touch with the 3-14 dermographic. I have a lot of cousins, that really admire me, not quite sure why. Plus I really enjoy the company of children. And trust me, pokemon is huge. Like there hasn't been any advertisment of Diamond and Pearl in the UK, yet my 6 year old cousin, as promised me he will have it on release day. I have another who is 11, who also is going to have either one on release. Its crazy how much power those games have. it hasn't even been mentioned anywhere, yet they all know about it. Come to think about it, I never seen an advert on TV about Pokemon, yet it still sells by the shit loads. It will carry on doing really well in Japan too. It should eventually hit 6-7 million there alone. Also i am sure another film will come out to push the sales of it. Another thing to note is, the price of Pokemon games never goes down, they are always the most expensive of GBA games. I still can't find emerald for less than £24. And it's still in all shops like Woolworths, HMV, Virgin, GAME etc etc.

There is one potential problem, though - what about all of the poor kids who want Pokemon but don't have a DS yet? Are supplies in the US (and EU) good enough to support that onslaught? Or have enough already "updated" via the Pokemon Dash / Ranger / Mysterious Dungeon route?

Vinnk

Worldwide wifi seems to only be on the games that require simple input and no language barrier. So Mario Kart and Tetris work fine but I was unable to visit American Animal Crossing towns with my Japanese copy. And that's really too bad. One of the best things back in the day was playing Phantasy Star on-line with people from every country. But with all the friends code nonsense and not being about to communicate or add the ramdom people I play with, I pretty much never go online with my DS anymore. Still love the system but Nintendo's idea of internet use on the DS left me (and many others) quite dissapointed. So don't count on anything different for Pokemon. And don't expect it to not sell like hotcakes either just because it dosn't have these features.

Smiles and Cries said:
Well I don't really blame him, I dunno but I am still in shock that it still sells so well, to think you can finally trade online :D

what are the DS numbers for NA so far?
9.87 million in the US as of February numbers. Canada I'm not sure.
splattergnome said:
There is one potential problem, though - what about all of the poor kids who want Pokemon but don't have a DS yet? Are supplies in the US (and EU) good enough to support that onslaught? Or have enough already "updated" via the Pokemon Dash / Ranger / Mysterious Dungeon route?
Hmm... when RuSa came out in NA, GBA had been out 21 months. DS was pretty slow for much of 2005, but will be at 29 months in April, so I bet their user bases at time of Pokémon release will be pretty similar.

The Sphinx said:
After the terrible sales of DQH:Rocket Slime you can hardly blame them.

Oh come on, as enjoyable as Rocket Slime is (one of my favourite DS games) it's just an up-jumped GBA port whereas Joker is one of the most stunning looking titles on the DS because it was actually built for the system from the ground up.

Dragon Quest is never going to extablish itself as a major series outside of Japan unless Squenix tries to make some serious in-roads. Dragon Quest VIII was a nice start and they can't stop because the results weren't exactly what they expected.

I've imported Jokers and because I can't read Japanese I've kind of just been muddling around, what I can say is that it's simply a stunning game and could easily sell well here in NA with a decent marketing campaign behind it.

jaundicejuice said:
Oh come on, as enjoyable as Rocket Slime is (one of my favourite DS games) it's just an up-jumped GBA port whereas Joker is one of the most stunning looking titles on the DS because it was actually built for the system from the ground up.

Dragon Quest is never going to extablish itself as a major series outside of Japan unless Squenix tries to make some serious in-roads. Dragon Quest VIII was a nice start and they can't stop because the results weren't exactly what they expected.

I've imported Jokers and because I can't read Japanese I've kind of just been muddling around, what I can say is that it's simply a stunning game and could easily sell well here in NA with a decent marketing campaign behind it.

Rocket Slime sold "well".

DQMJ... hmm... I think it's along the same lines as Chocobo's Magic Story book.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dragona Akehi said:
Rocket Slime sold "well".

DQMJ... hmm... I think it's along the same lines as Chocobo's Magic Story book.

Which means its going to be announced to be released in the next couple of months :D

grandjedi6 said:
Which means its going to be announced to be released in the next couple of months :D

There's quite a few things coming up in the next couple of months. S-E have been very busy little boys and girls. Almost makes an oldschool DQ fan cry in delight.

Dragona Akehi said:
There's quite a few things coming up in the next couple of months. S-E have been very busy little boys and girls. Almost makes an oldschool DQ fan cry in delight.

As a newschool fan I certainly hope there's plenty of upcoming announcements. It would be awesome if the entire series was remade or ported to the DS.

grandjedi6

Dragona Akehi said:

:D Remake localization finally!!!!!!! :D :D

I'm actually pretty surprised DQMJ hasn't been announced here yet. It'd probably sell decently well on the concept of good 3D on the DS alone. Not to mention you might get a good number of Dragon Quest fans on to the DS in preparation for DQIX.

Vinnk

Personally, I don't see what's with all the fuss over Joker. I played it at TGS and true that version wasn't finished but I was not really impressed. The graphics were good for a DS title but not as good as FFIII and overall I found it to be a bit boring. I was far more impressed with "It's a Wonderful World". Have any of you played the final released version? Is it any good? I would be willing to cahnge my opinion on it but right now I see it as something just selling because of the DQ branding.

grandjedi6

Dragona Akehi said:
S-E is definitely busy on DS, what with Revenant Wings and and FF:CC...

Sounds like I'm going to be one happy Dragon Quest fan :D

Vinnk said:
Personally, I don't see what's with all the fuss over Joker. I played it at TGS and true that version wasn't finished but I was not really impressed. The graphics were good for a DS title but not as good as FFIII and overall I found it to be a bit boring. I was far more impressed with "It's a Wonderful World". Have any of you played the final released version? Is it any good? I would be willing to cahnge my opinion on it but right now I see it as something just selling because of the DQ branding.
Have you played any of the GBC Dragon Quest Monster games??

Vinnk

grandjedi6 said:
Have you played any of the GBC Dragon Quest Monster games??

No I havn't, I played Dragon Quest (warrior) 1-3 on the NES and then didn't play any Dragon Quest until VIII.

If Joker really is a great game, it makes sense to release it to bring up anticipation for IX but if it is sub-par in any way it might actually hurt sales of IX. Though if IX sells well, I can't imagine Square wouldn't ride that sucess and sell Joker after IX.

Any numbers for Front Mission? That's one I would like to see localized.

donny2112 said:
Why do you taunt me like this? WHY?!?

No. Nintendo has not announced Cooking! Navi, Brain Training 2 (featuring Dr. Mario), <insert language> training, General Knowledge Training, or 1000 Healthy Recipes DS for the U.S. It's plain for anyone to see that Nintendo just hates money. :p It's particularly troublesome for me as I really don't see anything being released in the first half of the year (from this point) that I'm interested in for the DS. All of those games should already be announced/on the shelves in the U.S. for the DS by this point. :(
Why would nintendo release BT2 when BT1 is still selling like hotcakes? Once sales go down they will release BT2. It sucks for the fans (like me) but what can we do about it? Bitch on an internet message board? ;)

As for Cooking Navi, Laurent Fisher (NoE Marketing Director) confirmed it for Europe so I guess it'll see a release in the US as well.
If not you can always import.

Joe Molotov

vanguardian1 said:
Damnit! Don't forget Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 for DS either! Ya no good schmucks! :lol

It seems like there's some other S-E game we're forgetting...hmmm. Oh yeah, Itadaki Street DS.

Neomoto

Dragona Akehi said:
S-E is definitely busy on DS, what with Revenant Wings and and FF:CC...
Yes S-E's been busy on DS indeed

FFXII: Revenant Wing
It's a Wonderful World
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: The Grimoire Book
Dragon Quest IX
Project GB (not sure if retail game?)
Heroes of Mana (just out)
Front Mission 1
Itadaki Street DS
Final Fantasy: Cristal Chronicles
Oh, and potentially that rumoured new ip with Disney (could be Wii too)

And we've know about almost all of these titles for a good while now so it is likely they have a couple of games in development we don't know shit about.

donny2112

Phife Dawg said:
Why would nintendo release BT2 when BT1 is still selling like hotcakes?

I hope you realize that if Nintendo had followed that advice in Japan, BT2 would still not be released. We got Brain Age ~11 months after BT1's release in Japan. It's been ~15 months since BT2's release in Japan, and Brain Age 2 still hasn't been announced.

Phife Dawg said:
As for Cooking Navi, Laurent Fisher (NoE Marketing Director) confirmed it for Europe so I guess it'll see a release in the US as well.
If not you can always import.

Thanks! I had forgotten about that. If it's in English and no U.S. announcement is made before its release, I probably will import. :)

donny2112 said:
I hope you realize that if Nintendo had followed that advice in Japan, BT2 would still not be released. We got Brain Age ~11 months after BT1's release in Japan. It's been ~15 months since BT2's release in Japan, and Brain Age 2 still hasn't been announced.
That's true but in the western parts the hype train on the DS just got started and it's mostly due to BT. That train is still rolling, so no need to bring BT2 out of the gates now. BT2 will be huge so naturally they would want to wait.

I do think that translation on this is a real bitch though, esp. the voice and handwriting recognition. But that being said with the amount of time that passed they should have a western version ready by now.

Evlar

Banned
They probably know there's no use in building up any more DS hype until after the Pokebomb drops. We'll hear about the games being localized a few weeks (or months) after the dust settles from April 22.

Axord

GreenNight said:
There isnt any use to build up more DS hype WHEN THERE ISNT ANY DS'S TO BE FOUND :(
They're in stock at Amazon (at non-obscene prices) right NOW.

Can't say that'll last long though.

Edit:
Nintendo DS Lite - Polar White:
"Only 1 left in stock--order soon."

nli10

Phife Dawg said:
That's true but in the western parts the hype train on the DS just got started and it's mostly due to BT. That train is still rolling, so no need to bring BT2 out of the gates now. BT2 will be huge so naturally they would want to wait.

I do think that translation on this is a real bitch though, esp. the voice and handwriting recognition. But that being said with the amount of time that passed they should have a western version ready by now.

Pretty sure the western markets are skipping to Brain Training "3" - no idea why though, I guess they think the market can't support both games in Europe/USA.

And yeah - the bricks and mortar stores are running dry on DS again, shame really with Easter approaching (and Pokemon Ranger over here too).

apujanata

Vinkk, for your next report, can you report the availability of PS3, including the # of unit available ? And also get info on how many PS3 were sold in one week from the Famicom Dojo owner, and how is it compared to Wii (1:2, 1:3 or something like that. Since you have good relationship with him, he might be willing to share that info with you, but if not, just get the idea of PS3 sales vs Wii sales in a week (the ratio).

I would like to know how severe the underperformance of PS3 in your area, and whether it roughly reflect the status of entire Japan.

mj1108

nli10 said:
And yeah - the bricks and mortar stores are running dry on DS again, shame really with Easter approaching (and Pokemon Ranger over here too).

It's been Easter now for nearly 2 years.

Vinnk

apujanata said:
Vinkk, for your next report, can you report the availability of PS3, including the # of unit available ? And also get info on how many PS3 were sold in one week from the Famicom Dojo owner, and how is it compared to Wii (1:2, 1:3 or something like that. Since you have good relationship with him, he might be willing to share that info with you, but if not, just get the idea of PS3 sales vs Wii sales in a week (the ratio).

I would like to know how severe the underperformance of PS3 in your area, and whether it roughly reflect the status of entire Japan.

I will try but the number will not be super accurate. Most store keep the majority of their PS3 stock in the back. I go and I ask "have any Wii systems today" and the common answer is "sorry" so I don't have to worry much about the number. But I am not going to ask the staff to go to the back and count them.

I can tell you as a basic rule. Every store has PS3s. Some have a LOT some (like the manga/anime/game store) have only a few and seem to be selling them.

I can get you sale rates for Famicom Dojo easy. And I'll give you the sales for tha last 4 weeks as well. He has one. And he hasn't been able to sell it. If he sells it he might order another one. He gets about 2 or 3 Wiis every week and he can't keeep them in the store for more than a few hours. He asks Nintendo to send him more but that's all he can get.

As for the other stores. I can ask how many they are selling each week but I am not sure if that is information they are willing to give out (or that the employees at the counter even know). I'll see what I can do.

Early report: Layton has been restocked at several stores. It was my first time to ever see them "In the wild". I don't know if this is because demand has slowed down or if they were just finally able to get a large weekly shipment out. I will see how many of these are left the time I do my "Vinnk's Village" report.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Kafel said:
Off topic but :

Does anyone know why Lapsed has been banned ??

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1249398

He had a lot to offer to such topics.

i will try and explain but this post would be about fifteen paragraphs in length like so have you heard lapsed talks like this a lot and puts periods and stuff usually around here. except a question mark should have gone there instead and i'm just typing typing typing blah blah blah blah the meaning of this post has already been lost already, so i'll just copy and paste it over and over to about the size of a lapsed post.

i will try and explain but this post would be about fifteen paragraphs in length like so have you heard lapsed talks like this a lot and puts periods and stuff usually around here. except a question mark should have gone there instead and i'm just typing typing typing blah blah blah blah the meaning of this post has already been lost already, so i'll just copy and paste it over and over to about the size of a lapsed post.i will try and explain but this post would be about fifteen paragraphs in length like so have you heard lapsed talks like this a lot and puts periods and stuff usually around here. except a question mark should have gone there instead and i'm just typing typing typing blah blah blah blah the meaning of this post has already been lost already, so i'll just copy and paste it over and over to about the size of a lapsed post.

i will try and explain but this post would be about fifteen paragraphs in length like so have you heard lapsed talks like this a lot and puts periods and stuff usually around here. except a question mark should have gone there instead and i'm just typing typing typing blah blah blah blah the meaning of this post has already been lost already, so i'll just copy and paste it over and over to about the size of a lapsed post.

D.Lo

davepoobond said:
Erm, right. Except that Lapsed wrote his arguments out quite well.

So Lapsed has been banned? I thought he was viral and so disappeared once the wii took off.

In fact there are a lot of mysterious intelligent pro-Nintendo posters on the internet who have disappeared. Maybe they were all viral?

Top Bottom