• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/12 - 3/18

donny2112

No numbers or names, but here are the top 10 third-parties with combined Japanese + U.S. sales by system between the Wii and PS3. Using Dalthien's numbers for Japan.

1. WII
2. WII
3. WII
4. WII
5. PS3
6. PS3
7. PS3
8. WII
9. WII
10. PS3

#1 ~= 1.5 x #5

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The third party situation thing isn't something magical or complex. It all comes down to making good games. When you have a bunch of half assed, broken, sub-PS2 looking games and you wonder why it sold like shit, you have to come to the realization that MAYBE it's not solely because it's on a Nintendo platform.

It's really no wonder that the best selling games on all platforms are usually *gasp* the ones that actual have some effort put into them.

cvxfreak said:
I think SA2B made it to at least 190K, and even more when you combine it with the DC version which I also think sold at least 100K.

I was going to ask you to change your avatar to accomodate for the recent DMC4 announcement, but I guess I didn't have to. :)

VerTiGo

Banned
Sonic and the Secret Rings, mark my words, will be a very successful piece of software in North America over the course of the year, as far as third party games are concerned. It'll garner a good amount of sales at steady pace. Seriously, just take into consideration how successful every Sonic game released on the GameCube has been.

VerTiGo said:
Sonic and the Secret Rings, mark my words, will be a very successful piece of software in North America over the course of the year, as far as third party games are concerned. It'll garner a good amount of sales at steady pace. Seriously, just take into consideration how successful every Sonic game released on the GameCube has been.

North America? What the heck is that?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
chibcicylist said:
Wii Fitness has alot of potential in Europe and NA, not sure about Japan because they are all so thin there anyway. It could do well but not phenomenal. Wii Music should be a hit with the Japanese though. So in short, Wii Health Pack=Western, Wii Music=Eastern.
If you don't count the otaku/wota crowd, sure...

Monk said:
Also the quality of third party sales is an important factor in the numbers. Many Wii games are half assed PS2 ports, and some that are made ground up are half assed. At the moment it is a very unfair comparison.

Well: it's only an unfair comparison if you believe that the corporate entities (i.e. publishers) who decide where software titles should be developed will make this distinction.

I think there's a good chance that they will, because there's a good chance that Wii third-party sales will follow a pattern similar to the DS and we'll see titles like DQS explode, but until that happens it's not unreasonable to say that the Wii doesn't make a great business case for third party development yet.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
charlequin said:
Well: it's only an unfair comparison if you believe that the corporate entities (i.e. publishers) who decide where software titles should be developed will make this distinction.

I think there's a good chance that they will, because there's a good chance that Wii third-party sales will follow a pattern similar to the DS and we'll see titles like DQS explode, but until that happens it's not unreasonable to say that the Wii doesn't make a great business case for third party development yet.

Maybe in Japan, but 3rd parties in the U.S are doing well, better than PS3 third party games.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
But it was in Japanese.

So it must be correct.
Actually some people did ask for a source recently on 2ch... it is VGCharts for many of the leaked unknown numbers we get. donny is correct.

spwolf

schuelma said:
Maybe in Japan, but 3rd parties in the U.S are doing well, better than PS3 third party games.

not that much better though... i would say barely better.

But then again, those games are mostly not perfect Wii match either.

Currently a lot of 3rd party games are just blah games anyways, hence sales not doing that well....

Cheesemeister said:
th_mojipittan.jpg
I swear the first time I looked at this I thought it said "FHUTA DS"

donny2112

jj984jj said:
Actually some people did ask for a source recently on 2ch... it is VGCharts for many of the leaked unknown numbers we get.

Oh shoot!

You mean those lower than the top 10 random "3000" "5000" LTD numbers for Media-Create are actually VGCharts numbers?

Pack up your bags, boys. We've got some 2ch members to string up.

:lol :lol :lol

That just makes the Famitsu numbers all the more important, as those definitely aren't from VGCharts.org.

jj984jj

donny2112 said:
Oh shoot!

You mean those lower than the top 10 random "3000" "5000" LTD numbers for Media-Create are actually VGCharts numbers?

That just makes the Famitsu numbers all the more important, as those definitely aren't from VGCharts.org.
Many of them unfortunately. I don't think we should post anymore in the future unless we check first, I certainly won't. Though the list from last week is correct. All 3rd party PS3 and Wii games though... yeah VGCharts. Even the old 12Xk numbers for PS3 were from VGCharts.

Rock_Man

donny2112 said:
Oh shoot!

No, they were not from VGCharts, that's pretty clear if you compare the numbers. I'm sure they're from MC.

antipode

jj984jj said:
Actually some people did ask for a source recently on 2ch... it is VGCharts for many of the leaked unknown numbers we get. donny is correct.

:lol The amount of disinformation ioi spreads around the internet is awesome.

There is a major difference between the DS and the Wii for third parties - they had the opportunity to see how successful the DS was becoming, and at least had a small time to react ever since the wiimote was controlled and, later, at E3 2006 to see the hype grow. It will still take a while until many of the projects greenlighted back then are released, but we won't have to wait more than a year as with the DS.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Seeing how bad PS3 has been selling these last 5 months, japanese companies need to revise their sales forecast. As the ROI figures are being recalculated, it's now a given much more ressources will be allocated to the Wii. So in 2008 we should see just as many 3rd party games on Wii than on x360/PS3. This is kinda neat for a Nintendo console.

Neomoto

Nice sales.. again. Layton sold a lot less than last week though (but still a very good performance). Yoshi Island had a great second week.

And comparing 3rd party games make no sense. Come on now, Nintendo has FIVE competing first party games out there all during the launchwindow (maybe six if you're counting Wii Play wich still competes for people's money) unlike the rest of the world. Next month add 2 big ones to that list (I didn't even mention Fire Emblem so if it makes you feel better you can add that one too). All to which 3rd partys has to compete with, with mostly crap titles and sloppy ps2 ports. Whereas the ps3 top 5 includes as much as three pretty big franchises for PlayStation (not even mentioning that if you look further than the top 5 sellers it is just pathetic).

donny2112 said:
Oh shoot!

It scares me how legitimized his site is becoming outside of GAF.

These are excellent points. Most of the Wii 3rd party games have been absolute shovelware, whereas PS3's best-selling 3rd party titles have been major entries in long-running franchises such as VF, Armored Core, and Ridge Racer. (Somewhat reminiscent of the early days of DS vs. PSP). Once 3rd parties have had a chance to react to the Wii's success, we'll start to see higher quality software which will experience better success.

Plus, as you can see in an earlier post, worldwide sales have Wii 3rd party games dominating PS3 3rd party games, despite the lack of quality and the competing Nintendo titles.

jj984jj

Non-VGC#s:

14 PS3 Gundam Musou 16000 218000 87
18 DS Mario Kart 14000 2150000 98
19 DS Common Knowledge Training 13000 1286000 95
20 DS English Training 12000 1840000 98
22 Wii Sonic Wii 11000 11000 41
25 DS Picross 9300 223000 83
31 DS マナ 7800 24000 25
35 Wii ブレ 7000 110000 58
38 DS よ! 6500 135000 91
46 DS 魔 5800 916000 81
47 DS るく 5400 5400 28
48 Wii プリン 5300 420000 92
66 PS2 祭 3100 100000 90
68 DS Final Fantasy III 2600 1005000 90
70 DS 究極 2500 2500 9(先週)
73 DS 大戦 2400 132000 81
77 PS2 ギタ 2300 12000 58
83 DS の迷 2000 74000 84

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
zallaaa said:
I wouldn't have thought that Yoshi would sell so well. good job!

Why not? I believe the original sold the best in Japan. That and it's riding on the phenomenal success of NSMB.

Neomoto

18 DS Mario Kart 14000 2150000 98
Woah, this game lives in the shadows of the big four but it's legs are just as long! It is very close to outselling Mario Kart 64 am I right?

Holy shit, it did almost a million more since it hit a million? When did this happen :p It'll be interesting to see what English Training 2 will do, it's a 2007 title no?

Busaiku

jj984jj said:
Non-VGC#s:

22 Wii Sonic Wii 11000 11000 41
35 Wii ブレ 7000 110000 58
48 Wii プリン 5300 420000 92
Wow, Fire Emblem and Sonic are absolute bombs.
Zelda is doing awesome though, still manages to sell 92% of its shipment. Wonder why Nintendo isn't shipping more? It seems as though the reason it's not selling is a supply problem, rather than a demand problem.

milanbaros

Member?
Does anybody have Jap/NA/WW Zelda TP sales for Wii and GCN? I think the dual console release in the US has given a real boost to the numbers.

ylvis_

Banned
Busaiku said:
Wow, Fire Emblem and Sonic are absolute bombs.
Zelda is doing awesome though, still manages to sell 92% of its shipment. Wonder why Nintendo isn't shipping more? It seems as though the reason it's not selling is a supply problem, rather than a demand problem.

Fire Emblem a bomb? Far from it.

It actually sells pretty good compare to other Fire Emblem games.

apotema

Neomoto said:
Holy shit, it did almost a million more since it hit a million? When did this happen :p It'll be interesting to see what English Training 2 will do, it's a 2007 title no?

It is a next week title in fact

ksamedi

Neomoto said:

Seriously, mu mom hasnt let go of the DS since i bought this and Braintraining for her, it actually improved her english too, and is quite fun. Im definitly waiting for English training 2 and Braintraining 2 to be released in Europe. Nintendo is probably waiting for the sales of those titles to go down.

alejob

Are the Hardware numbers out? Whats this?

機種 販売台数
DSL 108,512
PSP 56,175
Wii 44,495
PS3 32,115
PS2 14,585
Xbox360 3,333
GBM 812
GBASP 679
GC 240
DS 119
GBA 13

alejob said:

機種 販売台数
DSL 108,512
PSP 56,175
Wii 44,495
PS3 32,115
PS2 14,585
Xbox360 3,333
GBM 812
GBASP 679
GC 240
DS 119
GBA 13

Last week's numbers.

Jokeropia

alejob said:

?? ????
DSL 108,512
PSP 56,175
Wii 44,495
PS3 32,115
PS2 14,585
Xbox360 3,333
GBM 812
GBASP 679
GC 240
DS 119
GBA 13
Last week's numbers. New will be out in a few hours.

Edit: Bah.

justjohn

alejob said:

機種 販売台数
DSL 108,512
PSP 56,175
Wii 44,495
PS3 32,115
PS2 14,585
Xbox360 3,333
GBM 812
GBASP 679
GC 240
DS 119
GBA 13
last week's numbers

LM4sure

Banned
There must not be very many Wii games coming out. Only 4 Wii games on the list. Pathetic. If the publishers cannot get games out soon, the Wii is going to lose its popularity. You can only play Wii Sports or Wii Play for so long before you need more.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
LM4sure said:
There must not be very many Wii games coming out. Only 4 Wii games on the list. Pathetic. If the publishers cannot get games out soon, the Wii is going to lose its popularity. You can only play Wii Sports or Wii Play for so long before you need more.

Hehehe...you're funny

justjohn

LM4sure said:
uh oh

Busaiku

ylvis_ said:
Fire Emblem a bomb? Far from it.

It actually sells pretty good compare to other Fire Emblem games.
Uhh no, I'm pretty sure this has been the worst selling Fire Emblem game to date.
And if you look next to the Fire Emblem LTD of 110000, you'll see the "58", indicating it only sold through 58% of its shipment.

Top Bottom