• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/12 - 3/18

Crap sells well all the time in Japan...as it does in every market in the world.

These franchises are used to better numbers, even on systems that don't have strong software sales at all (PSP). There is no excuse with Wii hardware selling like it is for them to bomb so bad.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It's kinda funny how PS3 SW is doing better that Wii SW in JP while it's the opposite in the US. LTD sales were given with NPD numbers and the totals combined for PS3 and Wii were very different than JP alone. I can't post them here because of the NPD numbers though. :\

apujanata

ethelred said:
Awesome, I'm a PS3 fanboy now.

Not really, I think you are Anihawk fans, who are trying to became more like Anihawk by practicing the sarcastic move. :)

I believe we can safely said that this week's "Tabris-like" poster #1 candidate is : My Chemical Mouse.

apujanata

My Chemical Mouse said:
DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, and Gundam all had better numbers on PSP for crying out loud...

Crap sells well all the time in Japan...as it does in every market in the world.

These franchises are used to better numbers, even on systems that don't have strong software sales at all (PSP). There is no excuse with Wii hardware selling like it is for them to bomb so bad.

Oh really ? And do you have the actual sales figures for those games you mentioned ? Or are you just guestimating ?

My Chemical Mouse said:

What can i say, japan loves Nintendo right now. So its natural that people buying Nintendo consoles buy them for nintendo. That's not to say that i agree with you, however.us

Mar

chibcicylist said:
What can i say, japan loves Nintendo right now. So its natural that people buying Nintendo consoles buy them for nintendo. That's not to say that i agree with you, however.us

That wacky Wii browser.

Monk

Banned
And what else is new? Nintendo have alwas cannibalised most of the market for themselves. Sony are no where near as close when it comes to the big hitters than Nintendo.

Also the quality of third party sales is an important factor in the numbers. Many Wii games are half assed PS2 ports, and some that are made ground up are half assed. At the moment it is a very unfair comparison. The best comparison is a cogs/revenue comparison. But i dont think any of us have access to that.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
My Chemical Mouse said:

Before you even start:

PSP:
78,276 Bleach: Heat the Soul
71,466 Gundam Battle Tactics
64,321 Bleach: Heat the Soul 2

The Naruto and Dragon Ball Z games never even registered on Dalthien's chart.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I know there is fanboyism out there... but really, do people really believe that Nintendo games sell just because they're published by Nintendo? I wonder how many of the general public actually pay attention to the publisher. Also, keep in mind, Nintendo publishes a buttload of games.

Just looking at PSP

SD Gundam did over 250k
Gundam Battle Royal went over 100k
Both Bleach games fell just short of 100k
Dragon Ball Z went over 130k
Nurato did just as bad though (60-65k)

And this is the only the PSP we are talking about and third parties. Take Fire Emblem doing worse than it's GCN counterpart for example.

I know it's early in Wii's lifespan, but for it be even comparable is a bit frightening to say the least.

jj984jj said:
It's kinda funny how PS3 SW is doing better that Wii SW in JP while it's the opposite in the US. LTD sales were given with NPD numbers and the totals combined for PS3 and Wii were very different than JP alone. I can't post them here because of the NPD numbers though. :\

Are you joking?

AniHawk

My Chemical Mouse said:
I know it's early in Wii's lifespan, but for it be even comparable is a bit frightening to say the least.

It's probably doomed to failure. Do you think I should sell it now or wait until the holidays?

mutsu

Seriously, after seeing the sales numbers for the games that was released in the DS's first year (including 3rd party ones), would you ever imagine the scenario that is today where 22/30 games on the top 30 are DS? And 5/10 in the top 10 are actually 3 party!

Give the Wii a bit more time. It will turn around and I am sure of it.

D.Lo

My Chemical Mouse said:
DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, and Gundam all had better numbers on PSP for crying out loud...
Just looked these up (on the banned site, sue me), and even on the inflated figures there, Dragon Ball is at about 130k, Naruto at 60k, Bleach at 95k. Seems pretty freakin comparable to me. And on a two year old system with a userbase three times the size.

My Chemical Mouse said:
Just looking at PSP

SD Gundam did over 250k

And this is the only the PSP we are talking about and third parties. Take Fire Emblem doing worse than it's GCN counterpart for example.

a fairer comparison would be including the size of the install base at the time of launch and adjustments for software cannibalism. its useless to compare when a system's overall software situation is very good compare to a system with a perceived lack of compelling software.

apujanata

My Chemical Mouse said:
Just looking at PSP

SD Gundam did over 250k

So, with PSP H/W sales at 5.2 Million, and Wii sales at 1.7 Million, how big do you expect those games do on Wii ? same ? 60% lower (using h/w percentage comparison) ? higher ?

apujanata said:
So, with PSP H/W sales at 5.2 Million, and Wii sales at 1.7 Million, how big do you expect those games do on Wii ? same ? 60% lower (using h/w percentage comparison) ? higher ?

Hope you realize a few of these were released when PSP was no where 3 million...

d[-_-]b

Banned
My Chemical Mouse said:
Hope you realize a few of these were released when PSP was no where 3 million...
Hope you realize that PSPs first million seller was achieved when the it had about 5.2 million while the Wii had 2 around 1.7 million.

apujanata

My Chemical Mouse said:

And which games is that ? and do you realize that the game Sales # are using the latest one, not at the time that when the game was released ?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Knowing the PS3 already had its price cut in Japan, I don't quite understand why japanese people don't buy it. Didn't they they buy >20 millions PS2?

d[-_-]b said:
Hope you realize that PSPs first million seller was achieved when the it had about 5.2 million while the Wii had 2 around 1.7 million.

Both first party, when will a 3rd party get a million?

If you people really want to complain about size of fanbase, lets compare PSP 3rd party launch window with Wii third party launch window...

Heck Ridge Racer alone beats every 3rd party Wii title by a lot. Perception of PSP software around launch was arguably just as good, if not better compared to the Wii.

justchris

My Chemical Mouse said:

Ummmm...but isn't the excuse that Wii owners don't have to buy crap cause they have actual good games to play? Unlike, for instance, PS3 owners.

linsivvi

My Chemical Mouse said:

If you people really want to complain about size of fanbase, lets compare PSP 3rd party launch window with Wii third party launch window...

Heck Ridge Racer alone beats every 3rd party Wii title by a lot. Perception of PSP software around launch was arguably just as good, if not better compared to the Wii.

Geez man, if Nintendo launched Wii without Wii Sport, Wii Play, Zelda, etc, the 3rd party games would sell a lot more too. How do you expect to sell when you're competiting against the best publisher in the world and not giving an A++ effort?

Terrell

justchris said:
Ummmm...but isn't the excuse that Wii owners don't have to buy crap cause they have actual good games to play? Unlike, for instance, PS3 owners.
PS3 owners have VF5, but judging by the numbers, they aren't even buying that. So who the hell knows.

D.Lo

My Chemical Mouse said:
Sonic is a Japanese developed game that will probably have sold a million worldwide by the end of the month. Much like Lost Planet and Dead Rising are positives for Japanese devs even though they sank in Japan.

AniHawk

D.Lo said:
Sonic is a Japanese developed game that will probably have sold a million worldwide by the end of the month. Much like Lost Planet and Dead Rising are positives for Japanese devs even though they sank in Japan.

Who did what now.

Sonic will probably end up a million seller EVENTUALLY. But it's going to get there through NA and Europe, mainly.

You guy's have a rather skewed perception of both lineup's it seems. Wii am god, PS3 am shit is pretty much the jist i'm getting here. Truth is both suck balls right now, Wii has Zelda which is not even in the top 30 anymore and is at 400k (what did Wind Waker sell?) Wii Play is a controller with a tech demo attached. Wii Sports is what epitomizes the system. Everything else is down the tube other than WarioWare.

But as Japan has proven in the past, the actual quality of the product has nothing to do with sales, so why are you even bringing it up? It's not that Wii has better games so the rest are forgotten, it's that Wii has bigger brandnames, a controller attached to a game, and a title that truly goes with the system, unlike PS3 which only has a couple Gundam games right now, and a series on a serious decline (VF).

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
You do understand that 3rd parties are not a collective entity? Square-Enix and Konami aren't high-fiving eachother because MHP2 just crossed a million. Sega isn't looking at this and think "Capcom sales good. Nintendo sales no! no! bad!" It doesn't matter how it was made, no one is going to ignore a userbase 3 times the size of it nearest competitor.

For goodness' sake, we've already compared the Wii's #6,8,9,10,12 sellers to the PS3 #1,2,3,5,6 sellers with a straight face. Now we're recycling the PSP vs. DS 3rd party arguement in a sales thread where 22 DS games dominate the Top 30 to the PSP's single game.... WTF!

justchris

Terrell said:
PS3 owners have VF5, but judging by the numbers, they aren't even buying that. So who the hell knows.

They're buying more of it than they are of crappy PS2 port #6, though, which I'm sure is the point.

anyway, I was joking, I'm having trouble taking this thread seriously.

apujanata

My Chemical Mouse said:

So, your point is ????
I thought your point was Wii third party sucks, but I am not so sure any more.

Anyway, if you want to say Wii third party sucks (now), I agree. I just don't agree with the "facts" you use to support your theory.

Branduil

The Sphinx said:
How 'bout size of investment? How much did those five PS3 games cost to make all together? How much did those five Wii games? Are any in the black?

Which are closer to a profit?

Stop asking sensible questions, this is the Media Create thread.

Mar

My Chemical Mouse said:
You guy's have a rather skewed perception of both lineup's it seems. Wii am god, PS3 am shit is pretty much the jist i'm getting here. Truth is both suck balls right now, Wii has Zelda which is not even in the top 30 anymore and is at 400k (what did Wind Waker sell?) Wii Play is a controller with a tech demo attached. Wii Sports is what epitomizes the system. Everything else is down the tube other than WarioWare.

jacklook.gif

NomarTyme

AniHawk said:
Who did what now.

Sonic will probably end up a million seller EVENTUALLY. But it's going to get there through NA and Europe, mainly.
How? it sold under 100k in US, Japan sold under 20 k, and Europe does anybody have the numbers for that? Maybe it can hit a million but it'll be a tough road.

linsivvi

Hey guys. Be happy somebody with an "unique" personality showed up so we can extend this week's thread beyond 500 posts. Million seller thread confirmed!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Now its the system everyone wants to publish for.
Fixed.
Actually in US the GC+ already became that about two months after launch - publisher top demand instantly became "make/port it to GC+".
Of course it could just as easily change if the sales don't keep, but who are we kidding right - PS3 will be out of circulation by next week, and 360 is the ultimate second tier system.

NomarTyme said:
How? it sold under 100k in US, Japan sold under 20 k, and Europe does anybody have the numbers for that? Maybe it can hit a million but it'll be a tough road.
It did 100k in the US in, like, eight days.

Sonic games tend to have legs (hurr). How long did it take SA2B to hit a million?

NomarTyme

ShockingAlberto said:
It did 100k in the US in, like, eight days.

Sonic games tend to have legs (hurr). How long did it take SA2B to hit a million?
Yeah maybe it be more for the month of March(US). I know it top 5 in Europe, I wonder if anybody got a estimate on Sonic Wii.

Top Bottom