• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/19 - 3/25

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Agent Icebeezy said:
I don't know about FF13 going to the Wii, but I think it's time we call this for the Wii in Japan.

I'm not quite ready. I think its wise to wait until FF13 is released before I completely write off PS3. But I'm soooooooooo close. :lol :lol :lol

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
moku said:
the up-coming FF game will, without a doubt be ported to the Wii within short order, or all-together moved to the Wii

why release it on Wii when it can be released on PS2?

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Well, to be frank, I didn't expect more of the same since the last console (a mild failure) was such an obvious turnoff to those who didn't buy a cube. It doesn't matter though. Obviously Nintendo only needed to somehow change perceptions and they didnt need to do that by changing their software make-up. I just find it curious to see those who bitched about the type of games on the cube who now sing the Wii's praises having no problem with the same type of content. It says alot about some types of gamers.

Your right. And I was quite happy with the Big N's first party offerings. People just want to have something to say I find. Otherwise people will forget they exist. Its kinda like "Hey look at me, I am here". I reckon at least 80% of people are that shallow. The other day my best friend wanted to take his PS3 to a BBQ, at a friends house. Now it had just come out (in UK), and his excuse was he wanted to see it on a HD TV (we don't have one, he lives with me). I am thinking what a show off, he told almost everyone he met about it. I am opposite, I don't say anything like that, if I do, I go home and get annoyed with myself, for being weak.

Evlar

Banned
Regarding FFXIII, I think S-E has options on the table short of simply making it a Wii project. There are 5 total FFXIII-branded games (or is it 6?) Two announced for the PS3 and one is announced for mobile devices, leaving two still unannounced and (almost) unknown. We have learned that S-E has applied for trademark protection for the name "Final Fantasy Hearesis XIII", so presumably that title, whatever it is, will be revealed during their spring Final Fantasy show.

This will possibly be a Wii game. Or... well, I'll leave another possibility to the side for now.

S-E isn't placing all their eggs in one basket here. One of the PS3 games has so far been pushed forward as the central FFXIII title, and the others are different stories occurring at about the same time in the same universe. S-E can alter that comparitively easily... That is, design and market the Wii game as the central story with the PS3 titles and the others orbiting it. This still won't be easy or cheap, but probably a better solution than scrapping the PS3 titles completely, and it still maintains the forceful presence of S-E's most valuable franchise on Japan's best selling home console.

Joe Molotov

Avalon said:
I'd just like to point out... How many serious Square-Enix efforts have been on the PSP? Plenty of PSP games do well, it's just up the developers to take that chance. Just like the upcoming Crisis Core, FFXIII will do well regardless of the situation the PS3 is in at the time of it's release.

Define "plenty" and "well."

moku said:
Okay, I'm calling it in Japan. I have been hesitant, but with the Wii actually going up in sales with nothing coming out in Japan, It's now painfully obvious that its supply constrained.

I will go as far to state here and now that if this continues at this pace, and gets even worse for Sony, (This is my own personal opinion) that the up-coming FF game will, without a doubt be ported to the Wii within short order, or all-together moved to the Wii that may sound bold, and it may even sound ridiculous given the already extended dev time, but its not due to launch anytime soon, and S-E would be flat-out reatrded, and throwing hordes of cash/sales down the toilet by not going with the Wii on this one. You cannot send out a premiere title to die in the forest, and porting it to the 360 wont help matters either.

Japan is a lost cuase for Sony at this point. The trend is almost identical for that of the DS/PSP when the DS took off. I just cannot see how S-E would throw piles of money, and copies sold down the toilet. It's not even about moneyhas either. If a small % of people actully buy the game, as opposed to other FF games, you could actually hurt the luster of the series by having such low sales.

There I said it, and I am going to stick with it.

Very bold predictions. I can definitely foresee ps3 doing less than 20k in the upcoming weeks, and Wii's lead over ps3 will continue to grow at an accelerated pace, so long as Nintendo is able to supply enough units.

Final Fantasy moving to wii - wow, if that were to happen, I think we can declare the war over in Japan. As of now, if I were to analogize this to a sporting event, I think most would agree at this point that it's going to take a miracle for ps3 to come back and overtake wii....possible, yes, but how likely, well...a miracle will need to take place for that to happen. Sony is just too far behind right now, and all the momentum is on Nintendo's side.

Wiitard

Banned
moku said:
Okay, I'm calling it in Japan. I have been hesitant, but with the Wii actually going up in sales with nothing coming out in Japan, It's now painfully obvious that its supply constrained.

I will go as far to state here and now that if this continues at this pace, and gets even worse for Sony, (This is my own personal opinion) that the up-coming FF game will, without a doubt be ported to the Wii within short order, or all-together moved to the Wii that may sound bold, and it may even sound ridiculous given the already extended dev time, but its not due to launch anytime soon, and S-E would be flat-out reatrded, and throwing hordes of cash/sales down the toilet by not going with the Wii on this one. You cannot send out a premiere title to die in the forest, and porting it to the 360 wont help matters either.

Japan is a lost cuase for Sony at this point. The trend is almost identical for that of the DS/PSP when the DS took off. I just cannot see how S-E would throw piles of money, and copies sold down the toilet. It's not even about moneyhas either. If a small % of people actully buy the game, as opposed to other FF games, you could actually hurt the luster of the series by having such low sales.

There is absolutely, positively no way Square is not getting tens of millions to put in on PS3 and keep it exclusive. I'm not saying this necessarily will keep it there but the idea that Square is doing in on its own - no ****ing way. That would be unbelievably, mindblowingly stupid. They know they will never see the dev costs back, they know locking mosts of the fan base out will hurt the franchise. There is no way they are not getting payed for that.

felipeko

I agree with Moku..

We all know SE spent a lot of money on FF already..

But whats the point on keep with the project if they can do it on the Wii for less money (than needed to finish PS3 version) and sell a lot more?

And as one of 2ch rumour said.. They may change the PS3 version to a spinoff and make the main series on another plataform..
That would make a lot more business sense...

linsivvi

moku said:

Wii does seem to have Japan locked up, but If Blue Ocean is truely at work here, then the market has expanded, and the core PS2 fanbase hasn't made a move yet, right? Judging from the sales of Musou, I'd tend to say yes. If the PS3 can make a small comeback and maintain a 30% marketshare, I'd say it's doing pretty good. Need a couple price drop before that will happen though.

AniHawk

Smiles and Cries said:
SE likes money :)

Take a look at their console works:

Xbox 360:

Final Fantasy XI
Project Sylpheed

Playstation 3:
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy vs. XIII

Wii:

Dragon Quest Swords
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

Looks like they're kinda/sorta playing it safe this time around. I expect to see a lot more titles on Wii if DS is any indication. Maybe It's a Wonderful World will be the new SE Nintendo franchise.

I don't see why, if Square were being paid to keep Final Fantasy an exclusive, it wouldn't have been marketed as such since the beginning. I really doubt XIII is coming anywhere near Wii in it's current state, but that's the wonder of Squares "Let's make a setting, not just a game!" mentality when it comes to numbering FF.

Evlar

Banned
davepoobond said:
looking at media create, i see the #1 game is a PS2 game

are you confused?
So you're claiming software developers have no incentive to abandon the PS2? Is that what you're saying?

Grecco

AniHawk said:

Looks like they're kinda/sorta playing it safe this time around. I expect to see a lot more titles on Wii if DS is any indication. Maybe It's a Wonderful World will be the new SE Nintendo franchise.

I wouldnt complain. Id also venture to guess that ahem KH1+2 (Waggle edition) and KH3 will be Wii games in 2008. (Let me hide from the flames/and the KH Needs HD posts)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The Sphinx said:
So you're claiming software developers have no incentive to abandon the PS2? Is that what you're saying?

as opposed to the wii?

why not?

every other wii game has a PS2 counterpart.

Kuramu

schuelma said:
... I do think Japan is about to largely shift development to the Wii, but I can't see FF moving over after so much money has already been poured into it.

In poker, that's called "sending good money after bad". Doesn't stop people from doing it though, so who knows.

AniHawk said:

DQ9 on DS says hello

Mar

You forgot:

Final Fantasy CE
Final Fantasy Turbo
Super Final Fantasy
Super Final Fantasy Turbo
Final Fantasy EX CE Alpha Strike
Final Fantasy Alpha
Final Fantasy Alpha 2: Super Turbo Fantasy
Final Fantasy Just Never Stops: Never Ending Story Edition

Evlar

Banned
davepoobond said:
as opposed to the wii?

why not?

Every other Wii game?

As to "why not"... Watch what happens to Musou Orichi over the next couple weeks.

schuelma

davepoobond said:
as opposed to the wii?

why not?

So PS2 has Wii Sports and Wii Play, Wii's million plus sellers? :lol :lol

nextgeneration said:
Very bold predictions. I can definitely foresee ps3 doing less than 20k in the upcoming weeks, and Wii's lead over ps3 will continue to grow at an accelerated pace, so long as Nintendo is able to supply enough units.

Final Fantasy moving to wii - wow, if that were to happen, I think we can declare the war over in Japan. As of now, if I were to analogize this to a sporting event, I think most would agree at this point that it's going to take a miracle for ps3 to come back and overtake wii....possible, yes, but how likely, well...a miracle will need to take place for that to happen. Sony is just too far behind right now, and all the momentum is on Nintendo's side.

Don't you think you used the word "miracle" too lightly? I do think its very plausible, although the odds, at this point in time, with all information we have, do seem against it happening. I mean the DS did it. Yes I know, it never was actually behind, but who would have thought Nintendo could untie the DS from the rail tracks, and the 200mph PSP train would actually run out of steam.

AniHawk

Grecco said:
I wouldnt complain. Id also venture to guess that ahem KH1+2 (Waggle edition) and KH3 will be Wii games in 2008. (Let me hide from the flames/and the KH Needs HD posts)

I wouldve thought so too, but the KH team is doing FF vs. XIII.

Wiitard

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
I don't see why, if Square were being paid to keep Final Fantasy an exclusive, it wouldn't have been marketed as such since the beginning. I really doubt XIII is coming anywhere near Wii in it's current state, but that's the wonder of Squares "Let's make a setting, not just a game!" mentality when it comes to numbering FF.

Sorry, did not really get this. You are saying they are not being payed?

Kuramu said:
In poker, that's called "sending good money after bad". Doesn't stop people from doing it though, so who knows.

In economics it is called sunk cost fallacy. Would not count on it.

Saitou

Banned
AniHawk said:

Xbox 360:

Final Fantasy XI
Project Sylpheed

Playstation 3:
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy vs. XIII

Wii:

Dragon Quest Swords
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

If anything, I'd say they're making sure their moneymakers are out there early, then when it's later down the road churn out the niche titles.

Go go Ogre Battle Defense Force!

MikeMyers

Mar_ said:
You forgot:

Final Fantasy CE
Final Fantasy Turbo
Super Final Fantasy
Super Final Fantasy Turbo
Final Fantasy EX CE Alpha Strike
Final Fantasy Alpha
Final Fantasy Alpha 2: Super Turbo Fantasy
Final Fantasy Just Never Stops: Never Ending Story Edition

Wheres Super Final Fantasy VII Turbo 3rd Strike EX Plus Alpha 3 MAX?

Damn....total dominance of japan by nintendo.

40/50 of the software goes to nintendo.

10/50 of the software goes to...others...

the DS/Wii might just turn out to be legendary. sitting at the same podium with the NES/GB

The Sphinx said:

I wouldn't say no incentive, but quite little. Afterall there are 100million, and its going to take a while before they all get a new system, so why not cater to them still. Silly singstar games can get eaten up by the millions.

Wiitard

Banned
the thoroughbred said:
Don't you think you used the word "miracle" too lightly? I do think its very plausible, although the odds, at this point in time, with all information we have, do seem against it happening. I mean the DS did it. Yes I know, it never was actually behind, but who would have thought Nintendo could untie the DS from the rail tracks, and the 200mph PSP train would actually run out of steam.

DS was not $600. You seem to not appreciate how attractive a $600 has to be to win anything.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. FFXIII Will stay on the PS3, it may show up ALSO on 360 or maybe Wii, but it'll stay on PS3. Every FF game after that HOWEVER, is completely up for grabs and if these sales continue, I would bet money on seeing FFXIV and XV on Wii.

the thoroughbred said:

Yes, it's definitely still plausible, and you are right about DS and PSP battle dynamics. It's just that at this point in time, ALL the momentum is on Nintendo's side right now, and in a sporting event, when the competition is soo far behind and the other team has all the momentum in the world on their side, it's just very, very difficult to picture Sony coming back from all this....possible, of course, but I just can't picture it happening.

Wiitard

Banned
linsivvi said:
Wii does seem to have Japan locked up, but If Blue Ocean is truely at work here, then the market has expanded, and the core PS2 fanbase hasn't made a move yet, right? Judging from the sales of Musou, I'd tend to say yes. If the PS3 can make a small comeback and maintain a 30% marketshare, I'd say it's doing pretty good. Need a couple price drop before that will happen though.

A SMALL comeback? The only reason it is being outsold 3:1 instead of 5:1 and for all we know 7:1 is supply constrain. 30%, yeah, right.

Avrum

moku said:

I don't know about that. I really doubt S-E is going to trash the progress made thus far just because PS3 is coming up a bit short. If anything, I'd imagine they would simply provide an extension on the FF XIII title (like they're doing now with a mobile phone game among others) and have that on Wii. Or going with a potential safe bet and putting a side story on the DS or something.

I can definitely see S-E branching out more though unless something comes up that really points the PS3 in a far more favorable direction, but I honestly dont' see them being gung-ho Sony as much this time around.

schuelma

Jirotrom said:
I'm calling it...Dragon Quest X will be a Wii game.

I'd say that's a safe bet....

Unless of course they keep it on the DS

Jirotrom

Shin Johnpv said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. FFXIII Will stay on the PS3, it may show up ALSO on 360 or maybe Wii, but it'll stay on PS3. Every FF game after that HOWEVER, is completely up for grabs and if these sales continue, I would bet money on seeing FFXIV and XV on Wii.
I have to agree with this statement... FFXIII will most likely be ported to the 360 now as we know and SE knows it will sell well in the US, but they wont toss all that work that was done on the PS3 out the window.

I still don't understand how people can call the PS3 dead so early

I love that the Wii is doing so well but come on, sooner or later the graphic whores will take over

schuelma

Smiles and Cries said:

I love that the Wii is doing so well but come on, sooner or later the graphic whores will take over

Wouldn't they have already started to takeover? Aren't PS3 games already a ton better looking than Wii Sports? Yeah, it possible a game like FF13 might make everyone in Japan change their views on the system, which is why I'm not officially declaring it dead..but the writing seems to be on the wall when the runaway next generation hit employs characters that don't have arms.

Grecco

AniHawk said:
I wouldve thought so too, but the KH team is doing FF vs. XIII.

This is true, but by the time they are finished, (2008 when the next KH is supposidly announced) the Wiis lead in Japan will be too big to ignore. They will have to support the Wii better than a DQ spin off and a Final Fantasy Multiplayer game

Jirotrom

schuelma said:
Wouldn't they have already started to takeover? Aren't PS3 games already a ton better looking than Wii Sports?
Honestly if Wii ends up first place this gen it doesn't matter because 2nd place will be sitting pretty damn peachy also...mainly due to graphic capabilities....regardless what anyone thinks there are devs out there excited about graphic capabilities.

Smiles and Cries said:

There's definitely still time, but when I look at the battle, I like to analogize the battle to a sporting event, which is why it's so fun for me to watch how everything unfolds. It's definitely still possible for Sony to come back, but because they are sooo far behind and all the momentum is on Nintendo's side right now, it's just very, very difficult to imagine Sony coming back. But with the way things have gone so far this generation, you just never know.

Saitou

Banned
schuelma said:
I'd say that's a safe bet....

Unless of course they keep it on the DS
They might.

Look at it this way, SE have already told all DQ fans to go buy DSes, for they are putting DQ games on it. All kind of DQ games. So, after DQ9 they need something else to keep them from selling their newly acquired DS+DQ and instead keep buying more software.

If anything, I'd at least expect more DQ non-mainline games to appear on DS or on Wii with ehavy emphasis on connectivity, and they are to be announced shortly before DQ9's actual release.

Wiitard

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:

And this is why PC games outsell all the puny console offerings and always had.

linsivvi

Wiitard said:
A SMALL comeback? The only reason it is being outsold 3:1 instead of 5:1 and for all we know 7:1 is supply constrain. 30%, yeah, right.

Have some perspective alright? If Wii does around 20M like the PS2, 30% is only 6M, which is better than Gamecube but still falls short of everything else. You don't think the PS3 can do 6M in 5 years? I did mention it requires a comeback to get there.

schuelma said:
Wouldn't they have already started to takeover? Aren't PS3 games already a ton better looking than Wii Sports? Yeah, it possible a game like FF13 might make everyone in Japan change their views on the system, which is why I'm not officially declaring it dead..but the writing seems to be on the wall when the runaway next generation hit employs characters that don't have arms.

well I would say a price drop and maybe a PS3 game that no one saw coming could bring back some life to the PS3, after all PSP is still doing well its not dead. Its just not doing DS numbers so I think Sony would be happy at a healthy second at this point. Is second place Dead?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Smiles and Cries said:

uh... winning in a console race is pretty much a snowball effect once you are on top, there is no stopping you.

if Wii keeps this pace by years end, then yeah it's pretty much over as far as japan is concerned.

Top Bottom