• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/19 - 3/25

lupin23rd

We know there is Disney title coming from Square that isn't KH3.

At this point I'm thinking this title goes to Wii (or possible DS, if not a DS spin-off), and then KH3 will end up on PS3 next year or whatever.

Or possibly the other way around.

m

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Smiles and Cries said:
well I would say a price drop and maybe a PS3 game that no one saw coming could bring back some life to the PS3, after all PSP is still doing well its not dead. Its just not doing DS numbers so I think Sony would be happy at a healthy second at this point. Is second place Dead?

Not necessarily, but if it keeps lagging behind the GC I can't imagine it being too lifelike.

Jirotrom

Saitou said:
They might.

Look at it this way, SE have already told all DQ fans to go buy DSes, for they are putting DQ games on it. All kind of DQ games. So, after DQ9 they need something else to keep them from selling their newly acquired DS+DQ and instead keep buying more software.

If anything, I'd at least expect more DQ non-mainline games to appear on DS or on Wii with ehavy emphasis on connectivity, and they are to be announced shortly before DQ9's actual release.
SE is also prepping there fanbase for more Wii products with Dragon Quest Swords...as a whole Square enix seems to be pushing Nintendo products to build up the base. We will see what they have in store for the Wii.

Wiitard

Banned
linsivvi said:
Have some perspective alright? If Wii does around 20M like the PS2, 30% is only 6M, which is better than Gamecube but still falls short of everything else. You don't think the PS3 can do 6M in 5 years? I did mention it requires a comeback to get there.

Actually, in that scenario, PS3 would get 23% market share.

Jirotrom

lupin23rd said:
We know there is Disney title coming from Square that isn't KH3.

At this point I'm thinking this title goes to Wii (or possible DS, if not a DS spin-off), and then KH3 will end up on PS3 next year or whatever.

Or possibly the other way around.

m

Sony and Microsoft right now have a big problem with titles that may be "for the younger crowd". There are pretty much no tiles for that crowd on those systems and the entry barrier "price" hurts that even more. I'd be surprised if Kingdom hearts was released on the PS3. Yeah little big planet is coming and wow it looks amazing to me and you, but that Madden consumer out there will see it as childish, and thats the crowd Sony and Microsoft are aiming at.

haircut

Whoever actually wrote a fanfic for this thread... (Pureauthor, I think? So many pages ago...) anyhow, whoever it was, it was awesome, thanx!

On topic I'd be thrilled to see FF13 move. Dunno how likely it is to happen though, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

linsivvi

Wiitard said:
Actually, in that scenario, PS3 would get 23% market share.

You're right. Regardless, I think PS3 would do better than that after a price drop. if PS3 + Wii = same total of previous gen, then all this Blue Ocean talk would be just bs...

Error said:
uh... winning in a console race is pretty much a snowball effect once you are on top, there is no stopping you.

if Wii keeps this pace by years end, then yeah it's pretty much over as far as japan is concerned.

Fair enough

So what does it take for Sony to block this from taking place?
What would you do if you ran Sony?

Fio

davepoobond said:
as opposed to the wii?

why not?

every other wii game has a PS2 counterpart.

Oh! The bitter sony fanboys...
And that generation barely begun, hard times ahead. :lol

C7FL2.jpg

Self-proclaimed "walking doctor" Duke Saraie, 54, and his disciples demonstrate an exercise at a press conference Thursday to announce the release of Nintendo DS software “Duke Saraie No Kenko Walking Navi,” in which he navigates users to various walking exercises. The software goes on sale May 17

w00t i'm calling this a million seller

Wiitard

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
well I would say a price drop and maybe a PS3 game that no one saw coming could bring back some life to the PS3, after all PSP is still doing well its not dead. Its just not doing DS numbers so I think Sony would be happy at a healthy second at this point. Is second place Dead?

Yes if it comes with twice the development costs. Here is my test for a system being dead in Japan: would it be insane for a third party to develop a Japan-oriented without getting money from Sony. If the answer is "yes" the system is dead. And the answer is yes.

linsivvi said:
You're right. Regardless, I think PS3 would do better than that after a price drop. if PS3 + Wii = same total of previous gen, then all this Blue Ocean talk would be just bs...

So you agree there is no way PS3 is getting 30% market share: even 8 vs. 20 would not do it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The Sphinx said:
Every other Wii game?

As to "why not"... Watch what happens to Musou Orichi over the next couple weeks.

Equating Musou Orichi to a Final Fantasy game makes me lawl. Did you read what you typed out?

schuelma said:
So PS2 has Wii Sports and Wii Play, Wii's million plus sellers? :lol :lol

that's why i said every other game. OBVIOUSLY wii sports/wii play aren't going to be on PS2 since its made by FREAKIN NINTENDO, just like how Gran Turismo isn't going to be on an MS platform or a Nintendo platform.

and refresh my memory, what other non-Nintendo developed million sellers are there for the Wii? AFAIK its just Wii Play and Wii Sports that are the million+ in Japan.

Fio Maravilha said:
Oh! The bitter sony fanboys...
And that generation barely begun, hard times ahead. :lol

please elaborate.

felipeko

Smiles and Cries said:
no Nintendo had a Fresh start with the Wii - I'm talking about how to save a console once it has be launched for $600
Took Nintendo 3 generations for that..
There's no way Sony can change it this gen..
Maybe only if ppl start to care about HD..

norinrad21 said:
C7FL2.jpg

Self-proclaimed "walking doctor" Duke Saraie, 54, and his disciples demonstrate an exercise at a press conference Thursday to announce the release of Nintendo DS software “Duke Saraie No Kenko Walking Navi,” in which he navigates users to various walking exercises. The software goes on sale May 17

What does the software do?

the Navi word sounds familar

HEY LITEN! Your WaRking too slow!

Wiitard

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
no Nintendo had a Fresh start with the Wii - I'm talking about how to save a console once it has be launched for $600

Time machine?

davepoobond said:
just like how Gran Turismo isn't going to be on an MS platform or a Nintendo platform.

Gran Turismo. Now here is a concept nobody will ever replicate. Totally impossible on other consoles, just like Wii Sports.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Smiles and Cries said:

Honestly, I don't know if they can. I don't think price is the barrier. The barrier is Japan's tastes in gaming have shifted, and its going to take time for Sony to shift course and adapt. It might be too late for this generation.

Grecco

norinrad21 said:
C7FL2.jpg

For a seccond there i thought that was Wii Health. Im soo curious to see that game in action

lupin23rd

Jirotrom said:
Sony and Microsoft right now have a big problem with titles that may be "for the younger crowd". There are pretty much no tiles for that crowd on those systems and the entry barrier "price" hurts that even more. I'd be surprised if Kingdom hearts was released on the PS3. Yeah little big planet is coming and wow it looks amazing to me and you, but that Madden consumer out there will see it as childish, and thats the crowd Sony and Microsoft are aiming at.

That's a good point, although if Square-Enix was thinking along those lines, why did the game come to PS2 instead of GameCube? I guess in that case the installed bases made it an obvious choice, but if you assume that not only kids are buying this title in Japan (or even abroad), I think it will boil down to what they want to do with the title.

If they want to go all out, HD guns blazing, it will go to PS3, otherwise I could see it going to Wii.

There was a teaser at the end of the PS2 game wasn't there? Did it look good? Although I guess things could have changed since that was made.

Guess we will see what happens at the big party next month :)

m

felipeko

lupin23rd said:
That's a good point, although if Square-Enix was thinking along those lines, why did the game come to PS2 instead of GameCube? I guess in that case the installed bases made it an obvious choice, but if you assume that not only kids are buying this title in Japan (or even abroad), I think it will boil down to what they want to do with the title.

If they want to go all out, HD guns blazing, it will go to PS3, otherwise I could see it going to Wii.

There was a teaser at the end of the PS2 game wasn't there? Did it look good? Although I guess things could have changed since that was made.

m
I think they will go for massive profit, again.

justchris

moku said:
I will go as far to state here and now that if this continues at this pace, and gets even worse for Sony, (This is my own personal opinion) that the up-coming FF game will, without a doubt be ported to the Wii within short order, or all-together moved to the Wii that may sound bold, and it may even sound ridiculous given the already extended dev time, but its not due to launch anytime soon, and S-E would be flat-out reatrded, and throwing hordes of cash/sales down the toilet by not going with the Wii on this one. You cannot send out a premiere title to die in the forest, and porting it to the 360 wont help matters either.

Japan is a lost cuase for Sony at this point. The trend is almost identical for that of the DS/PSP when the DS took off. I just cannot see how S-E would throw piles of money, and copies sold down the toilet. It's not even about moneyhas either. If a small % of people actully buy the game, as opposed to other FF games, you could actually hurt the luster of the series by having such low sales.

I don't know, I just don't see it happening. First and foremost, because to move FFXIII to the Wii, they'd pretty much have to make the decision between now and the end of April. After that, it'll probably be too far in development to move to another system, and I've never known Square-Enix to release a port to another system concurrently with the original.

On the one hand, they could do a timed exclusive, and then do a port to the Wii, but that's going to be a heavy port, going from an HD game on Blu-ray to an SD game on DVD9.

On the other hand, the White Engine is also being used in White Knight Story. So even if they did move FFXIII to Wii, they wouldn't need to completely abandon that engine. After all, once the engine's complete, they can use it in any number of games.

No, what I think is most likely is FFXIII & FFvXIII are still going to be PS3 exclusive, but Wii is going to get some FFXIII spinoff games, and there will likely be a Wii engine built for future S-E games. FFXIV is completely up in the air....hard to say that S-E will switch what console FF is on mid-generation...which I suppose is another argument for them at least porting FFXIII to the Wii.

Brak

davepoobond said:
Equating Musou Orichi to a Final Fantasy game makes me lawl. Did you read what you typed out?

that's why i said every other game. OBVIOUSLY wii sports/wii play aren't going to be on PS2 since its made by FREAKIN NINTENDO, just like how Gran Turismo isn't going to be on an MS platform or a Nintendo platform.

and refresh my memory, what other non-Nintendo developed million sellers are there for the Wii? AFAIK its just Wii Play and Wii Sports that are the million+ in Japan.

please elaborate.
You don't know what you're talking about.

That is all.

goomba said:
I dont think Wii will get FFXIII

I think it will get more spin offs

Final Fantasy Waggle FTW
What's Waggle in Latin?

*searches*
Well, in lieu of waggle maybe movement. Final Fantasy XIII Tractus

schuelma said:
I'm not quite ready. I think its wise to wait until FF13 is released before I completely write off PS3. But I'm soooooooooo close. :lol :lol :lol
Here's the thing. As has been pointed out, if the current rates continue Wii could be 3 million ahead of PS3 by the end of the year. That being the case, FF XIII could sell 2 million PS3s and it would still be behind.

Jirotrom

lupin23rd said:

m
PS2 had a larger base but they also had the majority of shovelware kid games on the system. People tend to forget that the ps2 did offer games geared at the younger audience...and that price wasn't a factor last gen. PS2s were a lot easier for a parent to stomach for their child....this time a ps3 is not so easy, so Sony runs into the problem of the ps3 being tied to a specific late teen and older group. the PS2 didn't have that problem and Microsoft has a bit of that problem also. Right now Parents are finding the wii an easier choice for a purchase than a ps3....thats why I just don't see KH being on the ps3.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The Wii has basically killed what the PS3 could've been. I guess around here how you feel about that will depend on what you wanted to succeed.

:(

justchris said:
I don't know, I just don't see it happening. First and foremost, because to move FFXIII to the Wii, they'd pretty much have to make the decision between now and the end of April. After that, it'll probably be too far in development to move to another system, and I've never known Square-Enix to release a port to another system concurrently with the original.

On the one hand, they could do a timed exclusive, and then do a port to the Wii, but that's going to be a heavy port, going from an HD game on Blu-ray to an SD game on DVD9.

On the other hand, the White Engine is also being used in White Knight Story. So even if they did move FFXIII to Wii, they wouldn't need to completely abandon that engine. After all, once the engine's complete, they can use it in any number of games.

No, what I think is most likely is FFXIII & FFvXIII are still going to be PS3 exclusive, but Wii is going to get some FFXIII spinoff games, and there will likely be a Wii engine built for future S-E games. FFXIV is completely up in the air....hard to say that S-E will switch what console FF is on mid-generation...which I suppose is another argument for them at least porting FFXIII to the Wii.

S-E needs a Wii optimized engine that pushes it to its limits, I hope they are working on one. But I full agree with you I don't see that game being moved it would be like the great N64 betrayal reversed

lupin23rd

Jirotrom said:
Right now Parents are finding the wii

Well, a few of them are finding a Wii :lol

That should be a sad face actually cause I haven't found one :(

justchris said:
On the other hand, the White Engine is also being used in White Knight Story.

Whoa are you sure it's using the White Engine? We aren't even sure if FF13 Versus is using it, and yet a non Square-Enix game is using it? Is there a source on this (or is it true and I am stupid)?

m

davepoobond

Wiitard said:
Gran Turismo. Now here is a concept nobody will ever replicate. Totally impossible on other consoles, just like Wii Sports.

yeah cause sports games and whatever games wii play games are havent been done on other platforms either right?

that wasn't even the point about bringing up gran turismo -- its a sony developed game, just like wii sports and wii play are nintendo-developed games.

linsivvi

Wiitard said:
So you agree there is no way PS3 is getting 30% market share: even 8 vs. 20 would not do it.

No I don't agree with that, I think even 10M is a remote possibility, but Sony would have to put up a much better effort. If you look at the DS figure, it's pretty clear that the market has expanded, and Wii is reaching out to those people too. The harecore are still interested in PS2 style games, just not at this price, but it's obvious Sony can't do much the price that right now.

Once the manufacturing cost comes down, probably in late 2008, it will reach a more approachable price and might be able launch the small comeback. Until then, Sony is going to have to suck it up. They've had their run.

Musashi Wins! said:
The Wii has basically killed what the PS3 could've been. I guess around here how you feel about that will depend on what you wanted to succeed.

everyone here would have not said this last year before launch

Wiitard

Banned
linsivvi said:
No I don't agree with that, I think even 10M is a remote possibility, but Sony would have to put up a much better effort. If you look at the DS figure, it's pretty clear that the market has expanded, and Wii is reaching out to those people too. The harecore are still interested in PS2 style games, just not at this price, but it's obvious Sony can't do much the price that right now.

Once the manufacturing cost comes down, probably in late 2008, it will reach a more approachable price and might be able launch the small comeback. Until then, Sony is going to have to suck it up. They've had their run.

And when they come, the games will be waiting. All three of them.

Musashi Wins! said:

: )

Evlar

Banned
davepoobond said:

please elaborate.
Let me kill a few of your sacred cows.

The PS2 is a dying system. There are tens of millions of them in Japan, and every day thousands of them are being disconnected from televisions and thrown away, sold to game outlets, given to a nephew, or just bundled into a closet. This process will accelerate over the next year. Evidence of this is right on the MC sales chart: Last year there were five PS2 games in the top ten. This year there is one, and only six in the top fifty. What happened to that huge userbase? ...They are more and more reluctant to buy PS2 games, and some of them are no longer PS2 owners. Consoles die a death of attrition as marketing neglect, lack of user interest, and cluttered media centers push the old out in favor of the new.

And guess what? MOST people consider the Wii just as "new" as the PS3. Natter on all you wish about graphical capabilities, toss all the snide remarks you can think about GameCubes and duct tape, the average consumer sees the Wii as a NEW device. That's why it's selling so hot, why it's on pace to pass the Cube within the year, and why it's supply constrained. It's why the Wii version of Zelda has outsold the Cube version by a large margin (DESPITE THE CUBE STILL HAVING THE LARGER USERBASE). The Wii is new, it gets prominent marketing and shelf space, it has buzz and momentum. The PS2 has none of these things anymore.

And yes, S-E could put the FF series back on the PS2 yet again. And yes, it would sell. But it's doubtful it would sell as well as it could on a next-gen system, and it would damage the brand. As much as we like to think these franchises are invincible they CAN be weakened by bad strategy. S-E could put FFXIII on the GBA and it would sell, but this doesn't make it a smart move.

S-E has a history of colonizing a console. The purpose of their major franchises is to CREATE a user-base on that console, people who buy the console explicitly to play S-E games. And I do mean plural, GAMES. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are signals to the fanbase that "This is a console that we will be giving significant support. You should buy it. We'll sell you more games on it in the future." The fanbase is happy to know they're making an investment that will pay off in the future. S-E is happy to know that FFXIV and FFXV and all the riskier side projects (like KH was last gen) already has a built-in audience.

Now, where's the benefit of putting yet another signal game on the PS2? They're fighting user disinterest and the ever-growing mindshare of the current hot systems (the DS and Wii), and gaining no future sales for the trouble. Hardly anyone else will run out and buy a PS2 for FFXIII. There's no more market to be found there. The NEW market is on the Wii.

What about the PS3? Why not just try to colonize that? Well, they might try... but it's a big risk. There's a limit to the power of the Final Fantasy brand. That price tag is a HUGE barrier, and lots of potential customers won't follow them there. Others WILL buy a PS3... and then do what Vinnk has mentioned in his report these past couple weeks. They'll just sell the whole system back when they're done, like an expensive rental. There's the chance that users will rebel and just decide they can live without Final Fantasy. S-E has a lot of sway but at the end of the day even they have to bend to the wishes of their customers.

And finally, at your naive question about naming another game on the Wii that's sold a million: :lol You have very high expectations of the Wii! Not even the most rabid Nintendo fanboy on these boards is likely to have expected more than two million sellers before April!

justchris

Wiitard said:
There is absolutely, positively no way Square is not getting tens of millions to put in on PS3 and keep it exclusive. I'm not saying this necessarily will keep it there but the idea that Square is doing in on its own - no ****ing way. That would be unbelievably, mindblowingly stupid. They know they will never see the dev costs back, they know locking mosts of the fan base out will hurt the franchise. There is no way they are not getting payed for that.

Ummm...what? No, no, think carefully before you say things like this. The hardcore FF fanbase worldwide amounts to about 25million people. If the PS3 sold 25 million worldwide, that would put it at about original Xbox levels, and would still make a paltry showing compared to what the Wii is likely to do. FF is a system seller, so they won't be locking most of the fanbase out. Especially in Japan, the fanbase will buy a (used) PS3 and FFXIII, beat it, then sell the PS3 back. Like they did with Blue Dragon and the 360s.

Brak

Musashi Wins! said:

VINCE DIDN'T SCREW BRET! BRET SCREWED BRET!

Sony has no one to blame but themselves

Wiitard

Banned
justchris said:
Ummm...what? No, no, think carefully before you say things like this. The hardcore FF fanbase worldwide amounts to about 25million people. If the PS3 sold 25 million worldwide, that would put it at about original Xbox levels, and would still make a paltry showing compared to what the Wii is likely to do. FF is a system seller, so they won't be locking most of the fanbase out. Especially in Japan, the fanbase will buy a (used) PS3 and FFXIII, beat it, then sell the PS3 back. Like they did with Blue Dragon and the 360s.

will buy a (used) PS3 and FFXIII, beat it, then sell the PS3 AND THE COPY OF FF13 back

I'm 100% sure this would be like a dream come true for Square.

As for the rest of your argument here is why it is wrong: just if we assume Square can make a profit putting FF13 on PS3, it does not mean it's a sane thing to do if they can make 10 times the profit putting it on Wii. Can they make a profit on PS3. If you count the damage to the brand from locking fanbase out of their habit, I would say certainly no. If you don't account for brand depreciation, maybe.

Wiitard said:
will buy a (used) PS3 and FFXIII, beat it, then sell the PS3 AND THE COPY OF FF13 back

I'm 100% sure this would be like a dream come true for Square.
Wait, are we saying now that Square will purchase used PS3s so long as I give them my copy of Final Fantasy XIII? Brilliant post award goes to The Sphinx. FF as a brand would be very very damaged if it returned to PS2. What exactly would they do with it? And what is Square's incentive to take that loss in brand when they could have an enhanced brand elsewhere AND a new shine?

Eteric Rice

I don't really care about Final Fantasy, all I want is some good RPGs.

I'm personally rooting for Suikoden to jump to the Wii. :)

Wiitard

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
Wait, are we saying now that Square will purchase used PS3s so long as I give them my copy of Final Fantasy XIII? Brilliant post award goes to The Sphinx. FF as a brand would be very very damaged if it returned to PS2. What exactly would they do with it? And what is Square's incentive to take that loss in brand when they could have an enhanced brand elsewhere AND a new shine?

I was quoting from the earlier poster. Of course it is insane. If people are going to rent the console to play the game, they will also rent the game.

davepoobond

The Sphinx said:
Evidence of this is right on the MC sales chart: Last year there were five PS2 games in the top ten.

a question to also ask about this is whether or not the amount of games that are being released would actually be comparable to last year -- is it dying in terms of userbase or in terms of developer support. You're saying its userbase, which i don't agree with that statement.

And guess what? MOST people consider the Wii just as "new" as the PS3. Natter on all you wish about graphical capabilities, toss all the snide remarks you can think about GameCubes and duct tape, the average consumer sees the Wii as a NEW device.

wasn't referencing that at all. remember what i was saying? it was about a 7 year old console.

That's why it's selling so hot, why it's on pace to pass the Cube within the year, and why it's supply constrained. It's why the Wii version of Zelda has outsold the Cube version by a large margin (DESPITE THE CUBE STILL HAVING THE LARGER USERBASE). The Wii is new, it gets prominent marketing and shelf space, it has buzz and momentum. The PS2 has none of these things anymore.

Are you willing to say that the PS2 userbase in Japan is falling faster than the amount of PS3s being sold each week? because PS3 plays PS2 games. You don't think a "FFXIII on PS2" situation would have aboslutely no PS3 users buying that game?

And yes, S-E could put the FF series back on the PS2 yet again. And yes, it would sell. But it's doubtful it would sell as well as it could on a next-gen system, and it would damage the brand. As much as we like to think these franchises are invincible they CAN be weakened by bad strategy. S-E could put FFXIII on the GBA and it would sell, but this doesn't make it a smart move.

i guess because putting their other money-making franchise on the DS was a brand damaging move too? (hint: saying that it doesn't helps MY argument, not yours)

S-E has a history of colonizing a console. The purpose of their major franchises is to CREATE a user-base on that console, people who buy the console explicitly to play S-E games. And I do mean plural, GAMES. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are signals to the fanbase that "This is a console that we will be giving significant support. You should buy it. We'll sell you more games on it in the future." The fanbase is happy to know they're making an investment that will pay off in the future. S-E is happy to know that FFXIV and FFXV and all the riskier side projects (like KH was last gen) already has a built-in audience.

this is contradictory to what SE is saying about this next-gen and having it be more equal.

Now, where's the benefit of putting yet another signal game on the PS2? They're fighting user disinterest and the ever-growing mindshare of the current hot systems (the DS and Wii), and gaining no future sales for the trouble. Hardly anyone else will run out and buy a PS2 for FFXIII. There's no more market to be found there. The NEW market is on the Wii.

its not like they're releasing 0 games for the Wii and DS, y'know...

What about the PS3? Why not just try to colonize that? Well, they might try... but it's a big risk.

welcome to the business world hooray.

There's a limit to the power of the Final Fantasy brand. That price tag is a HUGE barrier, and lots of potential customers won't follow them there. Others WILL buy a PS3... and then do what Vinnk has mentioned in his report these past couple weeks. They'll just sell the whole system back when they're done, like an expensive rental. There's the chance that users will rebel and just decide they can live without Final Fantasy. S-E has a lot of sway but at the end of the day even they have to bend to the wishes of their customers.

totally depends on when they ship the product.

And finally, at your naive question about naming another game on the Wii that's sold a million: :lol You have very high expectations of the Wii! Not even the most rabid Nintendo fanboy on these boards is likely to have expected more than two million sellers before April!

its commendable for the wii to have 2 million sellers already. never said it wasn't a great accomplishment.

apujanata

The Sphinx said:
Let me kill a few of your sacred cows.

What about the PS3? Why not just try to colonize that? Well, they might try... but it's a big risk. There's a limit to the power of the Final Fantasy brand. That price tag is a HUGE barrier, and lots of potential customers won't follow them there. Others WILL buy a PS3... and then do what Vinnk has mentioned in his report these past couple weeks. They'll just sell the whole system back when they're done, like an expensive rental. There's the chance that users will rebel and just decide they can live without Final Fantasy. S-E has a lot of sway but at the end of the day even they have to bend to the wishes of their customers.

Vinnk, do you know how much money you lost when you do it ? Like buy Wii + Fire Emblem, beat it, and resell Wii + Fire Emblem ? (You can ask your pal at Famicom Dojo)

Personally, I don't think I will ever do that, but for casual, it is a definite possibility, if the lost is not > 100$. I know that Japan have a thriving used-game market. US have it also. But I am not sure about Europe ? Anyone from Europe want to comment ?

linsivvi

Wiitard said:
And when they come, the games will be waiting. All three of them.

First party. It's not like all those games that went to 360 aren't coming out on the PS3 anyway. As long as 360 remains dead in Japan, which it will be, the effects of those games going multi-platform won't be felt in Japan.

Whether the PS3 is this generation's GC or N64, we'll have to see.

Krowley

The Sphinx said:
Regarding FFXIII, I think S-E has options on the table short of simply making it a Wii project. There are 5 total FFXIII-branded games (or is it 6?) Two announced for the PS3 and one is announced for mobile devices, leaving two still unannounced and (almost) unknown. We have learned that S-E has applied for trademark protection for the name "Final Fantasy Hearesis XIII", so presumably that title, whatever it is, will be revealed during their spring Final Fantasy show.

This will possibly be a Wii game. Or... well, I'll leave another possibility to the side for now.

S-E isn't placing all their eggs in one basket here. One of the PS3 games has so far been pushed forward as the central FFXIII title, and the others are different stories occurring at about the same time in the same universe. S-E can alter that comparitively easily... That is, design and market the Wii game as the central story with the PS3 titles and the others orbiting it. This still won't be easy or cheap, but probably a better solution than scrapping the PS3 titles completely, and it still maintains the forceful presence of S-E's most valuable franchise on Japan's best selling home console.

I agree with you that this is the most likley possibility for FF.

Wii will have it's own FF13... It will be a different game, but i would bet it's going to get just as much focus by SE.. both in terms of development time/focus and in terms of marketing.

still going through this thread... Very interesting sales this week, simply because it seems like the trend for the wii is continuing very strongly and that the ps3 continues to sell atrociously.

I think the wii is almost certain to be the leading platform in japan. It feels like an early call, but the handwriting is on the wall. The japanese just like the wii MUCH MORE than they like the ps3. And this is on the fundamentals alone... Games will change things a little, but the wii is going to have plenty of games too and with this atrocious start for sony, the third party's are probably already bailing out.

It's just too expensive to develop games exclusivley for a system with sales like that. Sony's system will still get games, but most will go to 360 as well and wii will have more exclusives and WAY more games that appeal to the japanese audience.

Wiitard

Banned
apujanata said:
Vinnk, do you know how much money you lost when you do it ? Like buy Wii + Fire Emblem, beat it, and resell Wii + Fire Emblem ? (You can ask your pal at Famicom Dojo)

Personally, I don't think I will ever do that, but for casual, it is a definite possibility, if the lost is not > 100$. I know that Japan have a thriving used-game market. US have it also. But I am not sure about Europe ? Anyone from Europe want to comment ?

Anybody could comment how much it would for me to do it with 360 and Mass Effect (sorry, I know it is not what the thread is about).

Zorglub

Vinnk said:
"Vinnk's Village" Anecdotal Report

Here’s another one. Thanks for all the feedback. I had no idea that people would be so interested.

For those who missed the last one, here is some background:

My town is in Oita Prefecture (in the Kyushu Region) the population is 80,000 (or 60,000 before it merged with 4 surrounding small villages), which is quite small by Japanese standards.

I will track sales from all the stores that sell video games. They are:

2 department stores that sell games (Jusco and Youme Town)
1 discount store with a very small game section. (Mr.Max)
1 manga/anime/game store (Book-net)
1 porn store that tries to look legitimate buy having a small game/DVD section in the front and a massive porn section behind a curtain. (Goody)
1 electronics chain store with a game section (Best Denki)
2 dedicated game stores (Wanpaku and Famicom Dojo)

Most anecdotal reports come from big cities like Tokyo and Osaka and in those places people will line up for new games and things sell out all the time. It doesn’t always paint a very accurate picture of Japan outside of metropolitan areas. My numbers are not supposed to represent Japan, but are just my observations based on the town I happen to live in.

This week I was asked to look for: Wii hardware, PS3, DS lite, and Layton,Yoshi’s Island DS. I went Thursday March 29, 2007:

Jusco
Wii: Sold out
PS3: 10 (7 60gig, 3 Gundam Musos Specials)
DS Lite: Sold Out
Layton: 3 copies
DQM:J 2 copies
Yoshi’s Island: 1 copy

Youme Town
Wii: Sold Out
PS3: At least 3 (3 on the floor, unknown in the back)
DS lite: Sold Out
Layton: 1 copy
DQM:J Sold Out
Yoshi’s Island: Sold out

Mr. Max
Wii: Sold Out
PS3: At least 1 60gig and one Gundam Musou Special (there is a display box out front and the tag on it says, they will bring you one from the back. No idea how many are there)
DS lite: sold out
Layton: Sold out
DQM:J Sold out

Book-Net
PS3: 5 (2 new, 2 used 60gig, 1 used Gundam Musou Set)
DS lite: sold out
Layton: 4 copies
Yoshi’s Island: 2 copies

Goody
Wii: Never had any to begin with
PS3: 2 used (1 20gig, 1 60gig)
DS lite: 2 used (selling for only 200 yen less than a new ones)
Layton: Sold Out
DQM:J 1 used copy (perhaps the same copy as last week?)
Yoshi’s Island: Sold Out? (they may never have had any to begin with)

Best Denki
Wii: 3!
DS lite: Sold out
PS3: Several rows behind the counter. More than 15 for sure. Not sure if they are used or new but the store says both are available.
DQM:J 2 copies

Wanpaku
DS lite: 2 new, 1 used. (And 4 used Phats)
PS3: At least 1 60gig and 1 Gundam Musou Edition (they wouldn’t tell me how many were in the back room)
DQM:J 1 used

Famicom Dojo
PS3: “Old Reliable” is still there.
DS lite: 1 used (White)

TOTALS:
Wii: 3 (all new)
PS3: >40, (It is very hard to tell but it could be significantly more. At least 6 of them are Gundam Musou Edition)
DS lite: 6 (4 used, 2 new)
Layton: 8 (all new)
DQM:J 6 (4 new, 2 used)
Yoshi’s Island: 5 (all new)

NOTES:

1. There are many, many used Blue Dragon Edition XBox 360s for sale. Best Denki alone had 7. Seems people bought it, beat Blue Dragon and sold it back. The used sets go for as low as 25,000 yen (about $220 US).

2. Despite increased Wii supply, it is actually harder to find the system this week.

3. Wanpaku Switched TVs. The huge High-def TV, as well as 2 smaller ones, are now displaying PS2 games (Orochi, Rogue Galaxy, Hokutou no Ken). The PS3 had the big TV last week, but now it is displaying the VF5 demo on a 20-inch Standard Definition TV.

4. Hiro at Famicom Dojo tells me that despite the massive sales, it is rare for him to get a used copy of New Super Mario Brothers. Seems people are keeping the game and not trading it in after they beat it. He thinks that’s why it’s legs are so good. When there are no used copies available, people buy new.

5. I bought a Virtual Boy this week, in box with 2 games for 1200 yen (about $10 US).

Thanks a lot for this...

It's very very interesting...:)

PS3 is in trouble...

Top Bottom