• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/19 - 3/25

Wiitard

Banned
linsivvi said:
Wiitard said:
And when they come, the games will be waiting. All three of them./QUOTE]

First party. It's not like all those games that went to 360 aren't coming out on the PS3 anyway. As long as 360 remains dead in Japan, which it will be, the effects of those games going multi-platform won't be felt in Japan.

Whether the PS3 is this generation's GC or N64, we'll have to see.

Japanese oriented first party is meager at best. And by that time there will be dozens (note the plural) hardcore oriented games on Wii. I honestly think that believing that there is any chance whatsoever PS3 selling half as many units as Wii based on that.

KINGMOKU

I figured I'd take some heat for my prediction, but the one main thing I took into account is the absolute domination of japan by Nintendo.(Kicking ass the taking names in the rest of the world isnt hurting either)

This isnt some temporary thing in Japan, nor is it just "Hey Nintendo is doing good in Japan" This is a complete, and utter domination effect. 40/50 of the top 50? It's been like this for quite some time now, and it is seemingly getting even more dominant as the weeks roll by.

You have to go with what is hot, and Nintendo as a whole is just untouchable right now.

By releasing the game on a much smaller install bae you not only ge much lowr game sale, but you will lose mindshare with FF fans. You want the game to mke a huge splash, and what would it better then announcing a Wii version/wii exclusivity?

It may be awhile before i'm proven wrong or right, but this comes down to buisness, and making a mistake this big would be titanic for S-E.

They also have made some very unpopular decisions in the past that have paided off for them(FF to the PS console) and this could have the same effect.

We'll see though, we'll see.

Krowley

Musashi Wins! said:
The Wii has basically killed what the PS3 could've been. I guess around here how you feel about that will depend on what you wanted to succeed.

:(

Correction

Sony is to blame, not nintendo... If sony had released a 300 dollar console (and yes, it would be weaker and all that), they would be fine.. Nintendo would be more competition this time, and the late start would insure that they never would have gotten a ps2 style market share, but i think they would at least be on even terms with nintendo's console.

Even without nintendo in the market, the ps3 wouldn't be selling very well.

It's just a massive miscalculation on sony's part in regards to what consumers really want with a game system. Either that, or they are more concerned with blue-ray infiltration than they are with the games market, in which case it can fail miserably and still sort of succeed.

Rock_Man

Famitsu software sales

famitsuswps3wiix3600703az9.png

Wiitard

Banned
Krowley said:
Correction

Sony is to blame, not nintendo... If sony had released a 300 dollar console (and yes, it would be weaker and all that), they would be fine.. Nintendo would be more competition this time, and the late start would insure that they never would have gotten a ps2 style market share, but i think they would at least be on even terms with nintendo's console.

Even without nintendo in the market, the ps3 wouldn't be selling very well.

It's just a massive miscalculation on sony's part in regards to what consumers really want with a game system. Either that, or they are more concerned with blue-ray infiltration than they are with the games market, in which case it can fail miserably and still sort of succeed.

Yeah, but without Nintendo around PS3 might have had a shot at third party support. Prospects of making twice as much for twice the price sure kills that.

Finn

Smiles and Cries said:
how about next week you give us this chart in this generation's colors?

PS3 = Black or Red

X360 = Green

Wii = White or Light Blue

:)
So we can see that purity and goodness is conquering Japan. :)

moku said:
This isnt some temporary thing in Japan, nor is it just "Hey Nintendo is doing good in Japan" This is a complete, and utter domination effect. 40/50 of the top 50? It's been like this for quite some time now, and it is seemingly getting even more dominant as the weeks roll by.

I think the term, "dominant," is understating the utter annihilation that Nintendo is doing right now in Japan. ;) In last week's MC's charts, Nintendo occupied a staggering 45/50 on the software charts. Wouldn't it be something to see Nintendo occupy all 50/50? It could potentially happen, as they're getting awfully close...

nextgeneration said:
I think the term, "dominant," is understating the utter annihilation that Nintendo is doing right now in Japan. ;) In last week's MC's charts, Nintendo occupied a staggering 45/50 on the software charts. Wouldn't it be something to see Nintendo occupy all 50/50? It could potentially happen, as they're getting awfully close...

I would LMAO :D

KINGMOKU

nextgeneration said:
I tried to convey that in my post. I know that what I said sounds insane, but you know that S-E is right now, thinking about it, and hard. How can any game developer not be looking at the situation in Japan and wondering why they dont have multiple games heading for the Wii/DS?

Thus my call. BTW, didnt the upcoming FF game start development on the PS2?

Evlar

Banned
moku said:
I tried to convey that in my post. I know that what I said sounds insane, but you know that S-E is right now, thinking about it, and hard. How can any game developer not be looking at the situation in Japan and wondering why they dont have multiple games heading for the Wii/DS?

Yes. FFXII ran far past deadline, so XIII was forced into next-gen.

moku said:

I don't think it's insane one bit. I personally don't think it will happen, but I would certainly not rule it out, given what Nintendo is doing right now. Hmm, not sure if FF started development on ps2. Also, while we're making bold predictions here, I'll throw one out myself. When all is said and done, Wii will be number 1 worldwide this generation.

Eteric Rice

The Sphinx said:
Yes. FFXII ran far past deadline, so XIII was forced into next-gen.

I wonder if they still have the engine that made XII? I'm sure they could use it, and considering how much more powerful the Wii is to the PS2, I bet the results would be quite nice.

Wiitard

Banned
nextgeneration said:
I don't think it's insane one bit. I personally don't think it will happen, but I would certainly not rule it out, given what Nintendo is doing right now. Hmm, not sure if FF started development on ps2. Also, while we're making bold predictions here, I'll throw one out myself. When all is said and done, Wii will be number 1 worldwide this generation.

That is a bold prediction. I'll make another one : Democrats will not win Oklahoma in 08.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
At this rate, it's going to take ~2 1/2 more months for the PS3 to break 1M. There's NO way possible this was anywhere near what Sony thought might happen. It will also take the 360 ~3 years to surpass the original xbox at this rate. Also probably not what MS thought might happen.

The companies thoughts probably break down something like this:

MS: What the hell is selling 20k PS3s a week?
Sony: What the hell is selling 3 times our numbers for Wii?
Nin: What the hell is the hold up on our next duct tape order?
I kid, i kid

Eteric Rice

I just have to wonder how the Wii will do in Europe and the US. It may have Japan in a lock, but what about the rest of the world?

KINGMOKU

Eteric Rice said:
I just have to wonder how the Wii will do in Europe and the US. It may have Japan in a lock, but what about the rest of the world?
Right now its in insane mode. Demand still hasnt died down, wich is crazy.

I thought Nintendo would do better this generation, I just never could have imagined it would be so complete in Japan.

Eteric Rice said:

Don't know about Europe, but for US, it's already significantly outpacing PS3 on a monthly basis and it's narrowing the gap between itself and 360 with each passing month. And the scary thing is that they're doing this despite being heavily supply constrained.

justchris

Wiitard said:
will buy a (used) PS3 and FFXIII, beat it, then sell the PS3 AND THE COPY OF FF13 back

I'm 100% sure this would be like a dream come true for Square.

As for the rest of your argument here is why it is wrong: just if we assume Square can make a profit putting FF13 on PS3, it does not mean it's a sane thing to do if they can make 10 times the profit putting it on Wii. Can they make a profit on PS3. If you count the damage to the brand from locking fanbase out of their habit, I would say certainly no. If you don't account for brand depreciation, maybe.

Sorry, I didn't complete my thought there, of course they're going to sell the game back if they sell the console back. No point holding on to a game you can no longer play.

And it is certainly a sane thing to do. It may not be the best or most profitable way to go, but that doesn't make it insane. Anyway, you ignored my point. My argument was not at all about the validity of S-E's decision to keep FFXIII on the PS3. My argument was that if that is what they decide, it's not necessarily because Sony is making them all moneyhats. There are valid arguments for going either way, and I'm pretty certain that all these different arguments and scenarios are being presented in the S-E offices right now. There are good reasons to stick with what they're doing on the PS3, it may not be the most profitable move for that particular game, but may be more profitable for the company as a whole.

Krowley

moku said:

There is another possibility with FF

who's to say that FFCC hasn't been redesigned and become the wii version of FF13... We know they were already making an FF game for the wii.. It might not be difficult to change it from a spin-off to a real FF game.

I'm not saying it will be the same game as the ps3 version, but it may no longer be anything like chrystal chronicles. We haven't seen anything about it in ages.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
nextgeneration said:
Don't know about Europe, but for US, it's already significantly outpacing PS3 on a monthly basis and it's narrowing the gap between itself and 360 with each passing month. And the scary thing is that they're doing this despite being heavily supply constrained.

If the Wii is able to keep pace when GTAIV & Halo 3 are available, then I will graciously bow to my new waggle overlord. I just pray to god they don't try to "improve my fitness" with gameplay. Sorry, I already workout and not all gamers are lazy bastards. Sometimes I just want to sit back and enjoy my games.

Vinnk

apujanata said:
Vinnk, do you know how much money you lost when you do it ? Like buy Wii + Fire Emblem, beat it, and resell Wii + Fire Emblem ? (You can ask your pal at Famicom Dojo)

Personally, I don't think I will ever do that, but for casual, it is a definite possibility, if the lost is not > 100$. I know that Japan have a thriving used-game market. US have it also. But I am not sure about Europe ? Anyone from Europe want to comment ?

Well, it all depends. The Wii is a bit of a wildcard, some stores will actually give you more for a used Wii than the retail price because they will sell it at a markup (no stores in my town, but some in Tokyo). But actaully the buy back rates in Japan are much higher than in the US. But that is if the game is still very recent. For example, I bought Need For Speed Carbon (still not sure why) for 6000 yen. I sold it back 2 weeks later for 5000 yen, and they sold it used for 5600 yen. So my "two week rental" cost me about $8. FFXIII would be the same type of deal.

However, if the stores already have a ton of PS3s in stock, the sell back price of the P33 might be pretty low. The store dosn't know that they can turn it around and sell it right away.

My guess (not figuring in a price drop or anything) is that if someone wanted to "beat it and sell it" they could play through FFXIII for about $120-$150. Seems a bit steep but a lot less than $500 + whetever FFXIII costs (FFXII was close to $80).

Sorry I can't give you a better idea of the resale value. I called Hiro to ask how much he will pay for a used PS3 and he said. "I'm not buying any used ones until I can sell the one new one I got four weeks ago"

Krowley said:
There is another possibility with FF

who's to say that FFCC hasn't been redesigned and become the wii version of FF13... We know they were already making an FF game for the wii.. It might not be difficult to change it from a spin-off to a real FF game.

I'm not saying it will be the same game as the ps3 version, but it may no longer be anything like chrystal chronicles. We haven't seen anything about it in ages.

They already promised us a FF:CC Wii they need to deliver on that so I can't see them changing it into FF13 side story

Krowley

nextgeneration said:

They also don't really have that many great games yet.

It's basicly Zelda + Wii sports right now... a few other really good games and some interesting stuff but it's mostly pretty barren.

What happens when you have super paper mario, metroid prime, smash brothers, Mario galaxy, the olympic game with sonic, mysims and whatever 3rd and 1st party games are being cooked up that we don't know about.

Right now it's selling just because the hardware is compelling.. what happens when you add games to that?

But in the end i still think the 360 has a slight edge in winning the US because of GTA.

squatingyeti said:
If the Wii is able to keep pace when GTAIV & Halo 3 are available, then I will graciously bow to my new waggle overlord. I just pray to god they don't try to "improve my fitness" with gameplay. Sorry, I already workout and not all gamers are lazy bastards. Sometimes I just want to sit back and enjoy my games.

Metroid, Mario, and Smash Bros. won't let you down this fall.

APRIL NPD should be very telling... so in May I will be watching for those Wii numbers since they promised to ship more

In response to a question as to whether a low Wii supply would be a recurring problem with Nintendo, GameStop COO Dan DeMatteo said he believed Nintendo created the shortage on purpose. "I think they intentionally dried up supply because they made their numbers for the year," DeMatteo said. "Their new year starts April 1 and I think we're going to see supply flowing."
http://wii.ign.com/articles/776/776291p1.html

Krowley said:
They also don't really have that many great games yet.

It's basicly Zelda + Wii sports right now... a few other really good games and some interesting stuff but it's mostly pretty barren.

What happens when you have super paper mario, metroid prime, smash brothers, Mario galaxy, the olympic game with sonic, mysims and whatever 3rd and 1st party games are being cooked up that we don't know about.

Right now it's selling just because the hardware is compelling.. what happens when you add games to that?

But in the end i still think the 360 has a slight edge in winning the US because of GTA.

Yup, Wii is selling on its own right now, and once more software comes, Wii sales will continue to propel forward. You know, as dominating a franchise as GTA is, I think Nintendo or some 3rd party publisher will come out with a new IP for Wii that will sell just as many units as GTA sells, if not more. What that is, I don't know, but I can definitely see that happening.

The Sphinx said:
Regarding FFXIII, I think S-E has options on the table short of simply making it a Wii project. There are 5 total FFXIII-branded games (or is it 6?) Two announced for the PS3 and one is announced for mobile devices, leaving two still unannounced and (almost) unknown. We have learned that S-E has applied for trademark protection for the name "Final Fantasy Hearesis XIII", so presumably that title, whatever it is, will be revealed during their spring Final Fantasy show.

This will possibly be a Wii game. Or... well, I'll leave another possibility to the side for now.

S-E isn't placing all their eggs in one basket here. One of the PS3 games has so far been pushed forward as the central FFXIII title, and the others are different stories occurring at about the same time in the same universe. S-E can alter that comparitively easily... That is, design and market the Wii game as the central story with the PS3 titles and the others orbiting it. This still won't be easy or cheap, but probably a better solution than scrapping the PS3 titles completely, and it still maintains the forceful presence of S-E's most valuable franchise on Japan's best selling home console.

Smart man, I think this might be the case

ZeoVGM

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   130,684 |   121,630 | 1,850,279 | 15,855,958
2. WII   -    75,571 |    67,070 |   990,710 |  1,910,353
3. PSP   -    41,546 |    43,769 |   645,474 |  5,177,603
4. PS3   -    20,459 |    21,635 |   336,934 |    794,492
5. PS2   -    16,961 |    13,321 |   240,914 | 20,395,773
6. 360   -     3,492 |     2,910 |    75,124 |    339,826
7. GBA   -     1,394 |     1,293 |    28,305 | 15,326,384
8. NGC   -       270 |       367 |     5,309 |  4,174,777
GBA = 22 GBA + 607 SP + 765 Micro
NDS = 135 DS + 130,549 Lite

Can we get the YTD and LTD for each model of GBA and NDS like before?

justchris

moku said:

I don't think it's insane, Wiitard was the one who got up in arms that the only way it could happen is if Sony is paying them off.

I just think it's got to be a really hard decision for Square right now. Whichever way they go, they run a risk of damaging the image of the brand in the eyes of fans. There's a good chance they could actually lose fans over this, no matter if it's a Wii game or PS3 game. The decision comes in, which way do they stand to lose the most fans? And can they balance that out by generating new fans?

They'd probably lose less fans sticking with the PS3 since it is a hardcore system, targetted at a hardcore market, and FF is a pretty hardcore franchise. On the other hand, with the PS3, they're pretty much limited to their existing fans.

On the Wii, they'd definitely alienate more fans than they would going with the PS3, but would they actually be able to win enough new users to make up for it? Again, this is a hardcore game, that will be going to a system that has (presumably) a predominately casual userbase. Casual gamers will pick up hardcore games if there's enough hype and marketing, but will enough of them do so to make up for the brand damage in the eyes of hardcore gamers?

Of course, then there's the problem of FFXIV. If they do stick with the PS3 for FFXIII, they almost have to stick with it for FFXIV. Putting your major franchise game on one system and convincing your fans to buy it, then turning around and moving that same franchise to another system mid-generation? People who dropped the $425 on a PS3 just to play FF games will be furious when the sequel goes to Wii.

So like I said, it's a tough decision, and there are arguments for an against each choice.

If Wii shipments can increase in a couple of weeks, then Nintendo could do really well. They've got One Piece, Super Paper Mario and One Piece all coming out in April.

33. (NDS, Nintendo) Picross DS
34. (PS2, EA) The Godfather
35. (PS2, Spike) Kenka Bancho 2: Full Throttle
So no one find this a bit odd?

It seems GTA did change at least a bit of the mindset in Japan. Maybe GTAIV will help PS3 in Japan? That would be highly unlikely but a funny thought nontheless.

Haunted

Phife Dawg said:
So no one find this a bit odd?

It seems GTA did change at least a bit of the mindset in Japan. Maybe GTAIV will help PS3 in Japan? That would be highly unlikely but a funny thought nontheless.
Considering the heavy delay of San Andreas - does GTA IV even have a release date in Japan? :)

justchris

lupin23rd said:
Whoa are you sure it's using the White Engine? We aren't even sure if FF13 Versus is using it, and yet a non Square-Enix game is using it? Is there a source on this (or is it true and I am stupid)?

Pretty sure it was announced to be using the White Engine when the game was first announced. I'd look for the original story, but my work firewall blocks most gaming sites so it'd take me forever to find one I could view to verify it.

White Knight Story is being developed by Level 5, but I think it's still being published by Square-Enix, so chances are they're at least partially funding the development.

.dmc said:
Out of curiousity, how is the Wii selling against the PSP so far?
If you mean from launch, one of the comparisons I keep around is DS vs PSP vs PS3 vs Wii.
Weekly
Cumulatively
PSP is between PS3 and Wii, though a bit closer to PS3.

In terms of software in recent times, Famitsu has Wii taking a bigger percentage of total sales all weeks since launch except for the week of Monster Hunter 2 Portable and the two following weeks.

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
Since I didn't notice it being suggested, is there a possibility that the main FFXIII making the move to PSP? ala DQIX and ds? Or am I not considering something crucial?

junkwaffle said:
Since I didn't notice it being suggested, is there a possibility that the main FFXIII making the move to PSP? ala DQIX and ds? Or am I not considering something crucial?

I don't see why it would though. After the sales of DQMJ and the likely sales of DQIV, it would seem foolish to put FFXIII on PSP.

junkwaffle said:
As long as they'd completely scrap the PS3 work (or shuffle names to decide which is the "main"), it would probably make more sense to put it on the #1 or #2 platform.

linsivvi

What is so difficult to believe here? If there's a company more obnoxious than Nintendo and Sony, it's Square-Enix. They believe they can single-handedly swing the console war in Japan, and with DQ and FF, it's not totally unfounded. They've mentioned that they wanted to spread out their supports for this generation so that there won't be a single dominating console, and that's why they're putting FFXIII on the PS3 and DQ on the Wii/DS. That's a change from their one console philosophy, but back then they've never released so many FF spinoffs either.

They might be concerned with the PS3 sales but I don't think they are panicking due to their confidence in their priced franchise. Will it be ported to Wii? Well, if the game released and bombed, bombed in FF terms anyway, they would probably consider doing a port.

Right now, who knows? None of us have seen a FF (or DQ for that matter) released on a 2nd place console in Japan. It will be interesting to see how it goes and what the reactions will be.

Haunted

Alkaliine said:
I don't see why it would though. After the sales of DQMJ and the likely sales of DQIV, it would seem foolish to put FFXIII on PSP.
Well, I can see S-E splitting their two biggest franchises - DQ on Nintendo hardware and FF on Sony hardware.

Also, the sales of Monster Hunter Portable have shown that good software does move on the PSP. Having said that, I really don't think they're considering to move FFXIII at all. The spin-offs and other titles in the FFXIII line-up, yes, but not the main game.

PkunkFury

Perhaps they'll just release a seperate FFXIII branded game on each of the platforms, and subtitle each of them. Then we'd have no idea which one the "real" one was. The internets would go crazy

Krowley

nextgeneration said:
Yup, Wii is selling on its own right now, and once more software comes, Wii sales will continue to propel forward. You know, as dominating a franchise as GTA is, I think Nintendo or some 3rd party publisher will come out with a new IP for Wii that will sell just as many units as GTA sells, if not more. What that is, I don't know, but I can definitely see that happening.

If i had to pick rignt now i would have to say that the wii should win worldwide. I do think that ms can hold on in the USA, but only by a hair.

They can drop the price to 300 on the premium system easily. At that point it may stop chugging along steadily and really take off like a rocket. I think if nintendo starts nipping at their heels in the USA, that's what they'll do.

It seems crazy as hell to pick nintendo to win worldwide, but here we are and it does appear that the handwriting is on the wall... The current situation seems to dictate that unless something changes, nintendo's ultimate perfect storm is happening.

It's something that i sort of predicted back at the time of the ps3 price announcement, but i couldn't really believe it would happen.. Not deep down.

An example of some of my incredible prophecy (from some of the e3 ps3 threads around the price announcement)

i think sony has a potential neo geo type game system at this price point. And i mean that in a bad way. A game system for the elite... not for the masses. I can see market share being low enough that company's have to start charging 80 dollars for games that take full advantage of the hardware.

It's an extremly pessimistic view, and probably irrational, but that's what i'm feeling tonight.

I think nintendo takes them out of japan with either strategy... if they had made a 360ish console for 300 bucks, they would have beaten sony and they can beat them this way as well. America will belong to microsoft.

edit: and i just realized i made all sorts of dramatic sweeping statements there

I'm sure i'll see it more clearly tommorow. but tonight it seems like, sony have just beaten themselves, unless they change their mind on this launch price, nintendo will launch at 200 with plentifull supply while ps3 is underproduced and overpriced..... Nintendo will surge to a quick lead (think about the DS) then sony will start crawling back a little bit, but they will run into a wall where sales start falling. By then nintendo will have a big market share advantage and japanese publishers will start switching over, afraid to make games for the ps3 with it's huge costs and small user base. Ps3 games will take much longer to develop so nintendo will have twice as many killer apps as ps3 and the overall number of games on the shelves will start to favor the revolution. when you see a big disparity in the overall number of games, you will know it's almost over.

Even if they lower the price it will be too expensive.

Your first price drop should put you into "casual gamer" range... their first price drop will simply take them out of the 3do/neo-geo stratosphere and put them into 360 range, by which point 360 will be 250 and selling like hotcakes.

Meanwhile, nintendo will put out more units a month and build a larger install base in japan because their system is easier and cheaper to manufacture. They'll also have a larger library because developers will start gravitating to the system with the biggest base, and games will be quicker to make for it and less expensive. In some ways developers benefit from the rev strategy because game development costs don't go up. If ps3's install base doesn't move ahead quickly, that will start to become a more compelling argument. It could easily be DS vs PSP all over again in japan. Instead of dragon quest swords, rev might get a real dragon quest.

By the time they drop the price low enough to attract the ps2 audience, it will already be over.

I think their market share will shrivel with this system. but maybe they don't care.

edit: and maybe i'm full of shit... i haven't had any sleep yet.

:lol odd to dig up those quotes and see what you thought then... It reminds me that there was actually a time when people thought the ps3 would be supply constrained... even the pessemists like me. I had no idea that it would stop selling out so quickly.

That was my long term view, and i guess i still hold to it. So far things are going even worse than i expected for ps3, but i was in the right neighborhood. If things continue along these lines it's going to get ugly.

I've had a few moments where i started to believe that sony had a master plan.. Some of their upcomming games are just amazing to look at and seem fun as hell, but i think it's going to be all for nothing.

Haunted_One said:
Considering the heavy delay of San Andreas - does GTA IV even have a release date in Japan? :)
Don't know but even if it doesn't have a fixed release date it's bound to come out earlier than FFXIII :D .

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
JoshuaJSlone said:
As long as they'd completely scrap the PS3 work (or shuffle names to decide which is the "main"), it would probably make more sense to put it on the #1 or #2 platform.
#1 or 2 meaning which? Wii? DS? Or was that PS2 you mean? I was thinking about the talk of FFXIII being considered for Wii as mentioned by others. Wouldn't that mean a complete overhaul as well? Since S-E seems to still have some allegiance to Sony, I thought this might be a possible financial compromise for them, if you seriously entertain putting it on the Wii, that is.

Krowley

justchris said:
I don't think it's insane, Wiitard was the one who got up in arms that the only way it could happen is if Sony is paying them off.

I just think it's got to be a really hard decision for Square right now. Whichever way they go, they run a risk of damaging the image of the brand in the eyes of fans. There's a good chance they could actually lose fans over this, no matter if it's a Wii game or PS3 game. The decision comes in, which way do they stand to lose the most fans? And can they balance that out by generating new fans?

They'd probably lose less fans sticking with the PS3 since it is a hardcore system, targetted at a hardcore market, and FF is a pretty hardcore franchise. On the other hand, with the PS3, they're pretty much limited to their existing fans.

On the Wii, they'd definitely alienate more fans than they would going with the PS3, but would they actually be able to win enough new users to make up for it? Again, this is a hardcore game, that will be going to a system that has (presumably) a predominately casual userbase. Casual gamers will pick up hardcore games if there's enough hype and marketing, but will enough of them do so to make up for the brand damage in the eyes of hardcore gamers?

Of course, then there's the problem of FFXIV. If they do stick with the PS3 for FFXIII, they almost have to stick with it for FFXIV. Putting your major franchise game on one system and convincing your fans to buy it, then turning around and moving that same franchise to another system mid-generation? People who dropped the $425 on a PS3 just to play FF games will be furious when the sequel goes to Wii.

So like I said, it's a tough decision, and there are arguments for an against each choice.

If the ps3 only has a few million in circulation by the time this game comes out, then you can be certain that most of the FF fanbase don't own the system, since it's a very large fanbase.

They won't feel betrayed because they won't have a ps3... and if the wii keeps selling like this, you can't really call it a "casual" system anymore. You have to think of it as the "primary" sysem... The DS is supposed to be a casual system too, but i'm pretty sure the FF games are selling just fine on that platform.

Top Bottom