• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/19 - 3/25

Haunted

Phife Dawg said:
Don't know but even if it doesn't have a fixed release date it's bound to come out earlier than FFXIII :D .
:lol boo-urn.

SA did well, so GTA IV should, too, whenever it's coming out.

.dmc

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
If you mean from launch, one of the comparisons I keep around is DS vs PSP vs PS3 vs Wii.
Weekly
Cumulatively
PSP is between PS3 and Wii, though a bit closer to PS3.

Thanks, I was wondering because I seemed to remember the PSP being regarded as having a decent launch, I wondered how close it was to see if there was any precedent for demand starting off incredibly strong before petering off. Looks like there is no equivalent situation.

AniHawk

Musashi Wins! said:
The Wii has basically killed what the PS3 could've been. I guess around here how you feel about that will depend on what you wanted to succeed.

:(

Personally, I would have been fine with a niche Nintendo system that was profitable enough that I could still see some of my favorite games.

Hell, I was fully prepared for MS to dominate in the console realm with Sony in the handheld realm (back in early 2005). Then Sony had to go **** everything up with that Trojan horse of theirs. And Microsoft recently appears to have lost their collective minds with the "elite" pack, doing more to justify price increases in the industry.

...not that Nintendo's streamlined Gamecube is a great direction for the industry overall, but at least they understand not all us nerds can or are willing to shell out over 300 bucks on a ****ing videogame console that may not even work after 2 years.

AniHawk said:
...not that Nintendo's streamlined Gamecube is a great direction for the industry overall, but at least they understand not all us nerds can or are willing to shell out over 300 bucks on a ****ing videogame console that may not even work after 2 years.

F*cking Truth!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
AniHawk said:
Personally, I would have been fine with a niche Nintendo system that was profitable enough that I could still see some of my favorite games.

Hell, I was fully prepared for MS to dominate in the console realm with Sony in the handheld realm (back in early 2005). Then Sony had to go **** everything up with that Trojan horse of theirs. And Microsoft recently appears to have lost their collective minds with the "elite" pack, doing more to justify price increases in the industry.

Totally agree, although I'm not 100% delighted that the Wii isn't a graphical powerhouse, I think its strategy is sound, they are after a different segment of the market than Sony and Microsoft, and are exploiting it well, it is Sony/MS fault alone that they are in the position they are in, especially in Japan, they have mis-read the market and are paying the price.

Vinnk

Personally I think XIII will stay put. I also think it won't make as much money as it could but that it will make enough.

Historically, DQ is a bigger franchise than FF and I makes sense that it's moving to Nintendo platforms.

But I don't see S-E giving DQ AND FF to Nintendo. Sure they will give spin-offs and things but there is so much money to be made of FF (with all the millions of sub-titles) that I think they will be going everywhere.

S-E allows Sony to use footage og FFXIII in their television commercials, Kutaragi used it in his TGS keynote, etc. If S-E did this to Sony it would burn a lot of future bridges. I say PS3 will get it's FF. But it might be the last main series title on a Sony platform for a while.

But who know? Anything could happen. Sony could come out with a killer app that no one saw coming (Like Nintendo did with Brain Training) and turn it around. But realistically, unless Sony makes some very good moves and Nintendo makes some very bad ones. Nintendo is going to be hard to top.

Krowley said:
If i had to pick rignt now i would have to say that the wii should win worldwide. I do think that ms can hold on in the USA, but only by a hair.

They can drop the price to 300 on the premium system easily. At that point it may stop chugging along steadily and really take off like a rocket. I think if nintendo starts nipping at their heels in the USA, that's what they'll do.

It seems crazy as hell to pick nintendo to win worldwide, but here we are and it does appear that the handwriting is on the wall... The current situation seems to dictate that unless something changes, nintendo's ultimate perfect storm is happening.

It's something that i sort of predicted back at the time of the ps3 price announcement, but i couldn't really believe it would happen.. Not deep down.

An example of some of my incredible prophecy (from some of the e3 ps3 threads around the price announcement)

:lol odd to dig up those quotes and see what you thought then... It reminds me that there was actually a time when people thought the ps3 would be supply constrained... even the pessemists like me. I had no idea that it would stop selling out so quickly.

That was my long term view, and i guess i still hold to it. So far things are going even worse than i expected for ps3, but i was in the right neighborhood. If things continue along these lines it's going to get ugly.

I've had a few moments where i started to believe that sony had a master plan.. Some of their upcomming games are just amazing to look at and seem fun as hell, but i think it's going to be all for nothing.

Those were some good predictions that you made during E3. US is certainly going to be far more interesting than Japan, in terms of how things will play out. The battle between wii and 360 will definitely get far more interesting once the price on 360 drops. Once it drops, it's going to be very interesting to see how 360 sells, relative to wii.

justchris

Krowley said:
If the ps3 only has a few million in circulation by the time this game comes out, then you can be certain that most of the FF fanbase don't own the system, since it's a very large fanbase.

They won't feel betrayed because they won't hav bought a ps3... and if the wii keeps selling like this, you can't really call it a "casual" system anymore. You have to think of it as the "primary" sysem... The DS is supposed to be a casual system too, but i'm pretty sure the FF games are selling just fine on that platform.

The greatest number of users of the best selling system are going to be casual gamers. The hope is that the Wii is actually creating new casual gamers, some of whom will the proceed to become hardcore gamers.

And the PS3 may only have a few million units when FFXIII comes out, but after it comes out, likely another million will sell just because of FFXIII. Or at least, that's probably the way Square sees it. If, after that, they then put FFXIV on the Wii, those customers who bought a PS3 specifically because it had FFXIII will probably be pretty upset.

Terrell

Just wanted to chime in on this FFXIII discussion, because major RPG franchises on Wii has been one of my favourite discussion topics for a long time (all the way back to September 2005 when people said that the Wiimote wouldn't be suited for traditional RPG play and would corrupt the genre).

First off, any talk that moving the main game to Wii would kill the investment made on the White Engine isn't thinking this through. Is FFXIII the only game that is currently using the White Engine? No. Is the currently announced set of games the only games that will use the White Engine? No. Even if SQE decides to move FFXIII to another platform, there are other games that can be made from the White Engine to further attempt to recover the lost funds used to design it. While one could theoretically use this as a justification for leaving FFXIII on the PS3, this brings me to another point...

Square Enix can not afford to gamble the MAIN Final Fantasy brand. Much like Dragon Quest being on the DS, you can see that no matter how well these franchises do, publishers easily have hesitations about franchise placement on unestablished or floundering platforms. While it is still early to declare the PS3 dead in Japan, it can't be denied that interest in the PlayStation brand has waned tremendously in Japan, and the strength of PlayStation was what gave strength to the Final Fantasy brand over the past 10 years. If those gamers aren't jumping back on board for PS3, Square Enix has to follow the audience... and in Japan, the audience is flocking to Wii. A spinoff is a comfortable revenue-earner, sure, but the main franchise, the CORE of their empire, isn't a chip that you toss onto the craps table willy-nilly.

I have more I could say, but I'll leave it at that for now. In short, I mostly agree with moku.

Krowley

justchris said:
The greatest number of users of the best selling system are going to be casual gamers. The hope is that the Wii is actually creating new casual gamers, some of whom will the proceed to become hardcore gamers.

And the PS3 may only have a few million units when FFXIII comes out, but after it comes out, likely another million will sell just because of FFXIII. Or at least, that's probably the way Square sees it. If, after that, they then put FFXIV on the Wii, those customers who bought a PS3 specifically because it had FFXIII will probably be pretty upset.

Yeah that's probably true. If it does come out for ps3 it will be a system seller. The ps3 will have a very large bump right around it's release.

and i agree with you that it will be a ps3 game. it's probably already to late to change now.

What i really expect is for square to make a wii FF game and market it equally, because by the time the ps3 game comes out, the wii userbase will be very large and it will be populated with enough hardcore types to sell an FF game very easy... heck.. chrystal chronicles sold a boatload on the gamecube and that was barley an FF game.

If square decides to make a full on FF for wii, they will be rewarded.

johnsmith

remember me
Any money spent on FF13 for PS3 to date is irrelevant. They're sunk costs. Go read up on the sunk cost fallacy. The only thing that matters is the costs required to FINISH FF13, which are likely still substantial, and the cost to make it for Wii. Even if it would cost more to move it to the wii, the much larger user base would make up for it.

It would not be unprecedented for SE to move the franchise to wii. We all remember FF7.

Nightstick11 said:
I think this needs to be said: Iwata is a genius.

It's not so much Iwata being a genius as Sony is being dumb. They went the wrong direction this gen., but if they had a reasonable price, they would have mopped the floor with nintendo.

Don't give credit where it doesn't deserve to be given, but give criticism to those who handed over the crown... Sony lost this gen, Nintendo did not win it.

It's not as if they couldn't just sell the thing back...

I think the best case scenario for SE if they try to do that would be to first emphasize that the majority of development is going to the Wii, but still release FFXIII and FFvXIII on the PS3. Sort of a 'one time thing' deal.

Xavien

Vinnk said:
Personally I think XIII will stay put. I also think it won't make as much money as it could but that it will make enough.

Historically, DQ is a bigger franchise than FF and I makes sense that it's moving to Nintendo platforms.

But I don't see S-E giving DQ AND FF to Nintendo. Sure they will give spin-offs and things but there is so much money to be made of FF (with all the millions of sub-titles) that I think they will be going everywhere.

S-E allows Sony to use footage og FFXIII in their television commercials, Kutaragi used it in his TGS keynote, etc. If S-E did this to Sony it would burn a lot of future bridges. I say PS3 will get it's FF. But it might be the last main series title on a Sony platform for a while.

But who know? Anything could happen. Sony could come out with a killer app that no one saw coming (Like Nintendo did with Brain Training) and turn it around. But realistically, unless Sony makes some very good moves and Nintendo makes some very bad ones. Nintendo is going to be hard to top.

Didn't Square burn pretty much all its Nintendo Bridges in the N64/PSX era?

If Square-Enix sees Wii as a more profitable platform for its main FF games, then I'm sure it'll have no qualms about burning those Sony bridges. Since right now, those bridges look quite shaky as the foundations created by the Playstation 1/2 give way, because of the pressure of the PS3's bad performance worldwide.

It's certainly possible, since no-one predicted that Dragon Quest 9 would be on the DS and I'm sure SE will throw a few more curve balls before this generation is out.

EDIT: S-E also has a habit nowadays of 'testing' a platform with spin-offs of a main series (Dragon Quest or FF) before jumping right in with a main game of the series. We saw it with DQM:J and DQ:RS on the DS and FF7:DoC on the PSP), The DQ games on the DS sold really well, thus its getting a main game. The FF game on the PSP didn't do nearly as well, thus the next game Crisis Core has been virtually absent for months and may never see release on the PSP.

I Think FF:CC on the Wii will be S-E's test of the viability of the main FF franchise on the Wii.

Terrell

johnsmith said:
Any money spent on FF13 for PS3 to date is irrelevant. They're sunk costs. Go read up on the sunk cost fallacy. The only thing that matters is the costs required to FINISH FF13, which are likely still substantial, and the cost to make it for Wii. Even if it would cost more to move it to the wii, the much larger user base would make up for it.

It would not be unprecedented for SE to move the franchise to wii. We all remember FF7.
And Dragon Quest VII, let's never forget that platform-hopping debacle.

Krowley

johnsmith said:

Isn't it more likley that they would port it to 360? Wouldn't that be a more efficient move instead of making a whole new game from scratch?

And yes the FF brand is huge in the USA and it will sell on any platform.. Even the 360 userbase will eat it up.

I think they'll do that, and make a full on wii FF from scratch (or maybe just turn chrystal chronicles into a full on FF)

Deku

Banned
AniHawk said:

It's a question of who they think their market is. MS clearly thinks their audience is more of the same of what Sony is going after.

It's pretty irresponsible from a strategic standpoint to cater a product to such a narrow audience. This is something you'd expect from a company who wants to carve out a niche, not something coming from an incumbent and another with pretensions of taking over the industry.

Xavien said:
Didn't Square burn pretty much all its Nintendo Bridges in the N64/PSX era?

If Square-Enix sees Wii as a more profitable platform for its main FF games, then I'm sure it'll have no qualms about burning those Sony bridges..

S-E won't make that mistake again. They did burn their bridges but immediately regretted it when they couldn't put their games on the GameBoy platforms.

My Chemical Mouse said:
It's not so much Iwata being a genius as Sony is being dumb. They went the wrong direction this gen., but if they had a reasonable price, they would have mopped the floor with nintendo.

Don't give credit where it doesn't deserve to be given, but give criticism to those who handed over the crown... Sony lost this gen, Nintendo did not win it.

Why do you think people are buying the Wii? The PS2 currently has games with better graphics, a massive selection of games, and is much cheaper than the Wii. So why don't people just stick with their PS2's?

Terrell

Krowley said:
Isn't it more likley that they would port it to 360? Wouldn't that be a more efficient move instead of making a whole new game from scratch?

And yes the FF brand is huge in the USA and it will sell on any platform.. Even the 360 userbase will eat it up.

I think they'll do that, and make a full on wii FF from scratch (or maybe just turn chrystal chronicles into a full on FF)
Except for the fact that it still isn't factoring Japan into the equation. In the scenario you just listed, it leaves FFXIII on a floundering platform and a dead-on-arrival platform in Japan. And for those who don't realise, 30-40% of the sales of these franchises come from Japan alone.

My Chemical Mouse said:

...I'll bite.

I don't think Wii being so huge really has all that much to do with the PS3's poor performance (though Nintendo's exploited it pretty well). Nintendo could've come out with 'GameCube 2' and sell, well, GameCube numbers. Then we'd have to deal with a shrinking market (!). The Wii is a phenomenon because it's been carefully positioned to meet the market needs. Nintendo is, in fact, winning this generation.

My Chemical Mouse said:

Let's not be delusional. Iwata's Nintendo is the only company that knew what the majority of the consumers wanted this generation. Sony and Microsoft had pretty much written Nintendo off as a competitor, hence they were both coming out with graphical powerhouses and HD gaming. That was obviously the wrong direction this generation, because Nintendo is going to win the bigger mainstream pie while Sony and Microsoft are slugging it out over the smaller, niche HD-gaming pie.

Sony brought out a technological masterpiece, but that's not what the consumers wanted. As a result, Nintendo is literally eating the whole pie with the Wii and the DS. I give credit where it deserves to be given. Sony and Microsoft didn't know what consumers wanted. Nintendo did. Specifically, Iwata's Nintendo did. Sony lost this generation because Nintendo whupped their ass. Let's not downplay things here.

justchris

Krowley said:
Yeah that's probably true. If it does come out for ps3 it will be a system seller. The ps3 will have a very large bump right around it's release.

and i agree with you that it will be a ps3 game. it's probably already to late to change now.

What i really expect is for square to make a wii FF game and market it equally, because by the time the ps3 game comes out, the wii userbase will be very large and it will be populated with enough hardcore types to sell an FF game very easy... heck.. chrystal chronicles sold a boatload on the gamecube and that was barley an FF game.

If square decides to make a full on FF for wii, they will be rewarded.

Right now, I do think FFXIII will remain on the PS3, mostly because I've seen no indication that Square is considering moving it. Sure, the Wii is blasting the PS3 right now, but with the continued supply restraints on the Wii, we're not sure how much it could be blasting it later. It's not too late for S-E to shift development to the Wii, but it's a hard decision, and they've got, at most, until the end of April, to make it.

There are a lot of things to consider. One thing is, if the Wii does outsell the PS3 by leaps and bounds (which seems just about guaranteed), another hardcore RPG franchise released for the Wii right around the same time FFXIII comes out for PS3 would give FF fans a chance to avoid buying a PS3 just to play FFXIII, since they could get a similar, equivalent experience, on the Wii. I'd have the say the possibility of that is the most likely thing concerning S-E execs right now that might lead them to move FFXIII to Wii. They'd hate to have someone like Atlus, Mistwalker, or god forbid Namco, come in and steal their thunder.

My Chemical Mouse said:

We're not entirely sure that's true. We know for a fact the DS is appealing to a whole new audience that never played video games before. Signs seem to indicate the Wii is doing the same thing. Even if Sony did everything right, chances are the Wii & PS3 would be neck and neck, rather than the Wii stepping all over Sony. Wii's success right now is as much due to Iwata's genius as it is to Kutaragi pulling a Yamauchi.

Krowley

Pope Benedict XVI said:
Why do you think people are buying the Wii? The PS2 currently has games with better graphics, a massive selection of games, and is much cheaper than the Wii. So why don't people just stick with their PS2's?

Cause it's getting old and people sense (correctly) that it's about to die.... It's time for a new game system and they're buying the only one that they can reasonably afford.

I think nintendo would have done well anyway, and maybe would have had a good shot of taking japan, but what sony did with the ps3 is whats deciding this battle.

Basicly... the wiimote was a grab at the casual market. It was made with the assumption that sony would be a major competitor and they had to look for a different market.. I doubt if even nintendo expected sony to abandon their base like this.

A lot of these sales will end up being sony refugee's with nowhere else to go. I'm not sure how many of those people have the system now in japan, but eventually they will buy it. I'm personaly convinced that their counterparts in the USA are one of the driving forces behind the US version of the wii craze.. I'm pretty sure japan is currently driven mostly by DS people... Just based on the kind of software that's selling in each area... The us market is comparitivley a little more interested in stuff like zelda and red steel, while the japanese market is buying the super casual stuff with more fervor.

Brak

My Chemical Mouse said:

I love the smell of flamebait in the morning...

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Zynx said:
Very interesting. (Most) people who buy it aren't selling it, so they either want to replay it, or aren't aware of such things?
Maybe they don't care about resell and they want to keep it around just in case (they want to replay it, or show it to other people, or ...)

My Chemical Mouse said:

Yeah, but Sony was always dumb. They didn't do anything to deserve the crown to begin with. It was Nintendo handing it over with stupid N64 decisions.

Right?

Krowley

Battersea Power Station said:
Yeah, but Sony was always dumb. They didn't do anything to deserve the crown to begin with. It was Nintendo handing it over with stupid N64 decisions.

Right?

Maybe that's how it always happens... didn't atari basicly blow it back in the old days?

justchris said:
Wii's success right now is as much due to Iwata's genius as it is to Kutaragi pulling a Yamauchi.

We're being pretty hard on Yamauchi. In fact, I think he's responsible for quite a bit of the direction Nintendo's taken this generation.

Hiroshi Yamauchi said:
I have been saying this for some time, but customers are not interested in grand games with higher-quality graphics and sound and epic stories. Only people who do not know the videogame business would advocate the release of next-generation machines when people are not interested in cutting-edge technologies.

Gamers on the internet got in a rage when this quote came about. Messageboards were filled with how Nintendo was out of touch and were doomed in the console business. In fact, just last year IGN still included it in their "Top 10 Wildest Statements Made by Industry Veterans". But looking at how things have turned out in the past couple years, who's "out of touch" now?

Hammer24

Banned
I can´t envision S-E moving FF XIII away from the PS3. They made clear on several occasions, that they want to distribute to all major platforms evenly.
BUT, I can see them making a PS2 version, perhaps later down the road. Let´s not forget this userbase, and the platform is still very much alive.

Brak

Krowley said:
Maybe that's how it always happens... didn't atari basicly blow it back in the old days?
Yeah, but then you're totally ignoring everything that the NES, PS1, and Wii(?) did right.

Nothing is ever that simple, it's always some combination of factors. If the Wii was Gamecube2, then home console gaming might actually be dead in Japan.

Krowley

Brak said:
Yeah, but then you're totally ignoring everything that the NES, PS1, and Wii(?) did right.

Nothing is ever that simple, it's always some combination of factors. If the Wii was Gamecube2, then home console gaming might actually be dead in Japan.

Yes that's true... I have to agree with that.. I'm not saying nintendo didn't do anything right. There were a lot of good decisions made with the wii...

All i'm saying is that sony could have delivered much more powerfull system than the wii at 300 dollars... Something along the lines of the tard pack 360, only with a little built in storage.. If sony had done that, it would be a different race right now. If ps3 had been a true successor to ps2 in terms of philosophy and targeting an audience, they could have kept their fans...

Nintendo made some smart moves with the wii, but i think they are getting away with making the system too weak because of sony's mistake. For 200 bucks nintendo could have made a more powerful system if they'd been willing to take a loss.

zallaaa

two weeks and the Wii should be millionaire for the second time, well done! anyway, I can't get used to see the ps3 at 20k level, it just doesn't seem "right"...

Mariah Carey said:
We're being pretty hard on Yamauchi. In fact, I think he's responsible for quite a bit of the direction Nintendo's taken this generation.

True, He was credited with supporting the DS idea Iwata said that a few times

and that "Rise to Heaven" Quote for the Wii :)

justchris

Mariah Carey said:

Oh, no, don't get me wrong, I tease out of love. The direction Nintendo is taking is very much Yamauchi's vision. From the NES days, he's always been geared towards bringing in the greatest number of customers. Everyone who thinks that Iwata has taken the company in a new direction isn't thinking clearly. Yamauchi stepped down in deference to Iwata, Yamauchi chose him. There's no way he would have handed the company over to someone who's views and strategy he didn't agree with.

The difference is, Yamauchi was not a people person, at all. Nor was he a gamer, at all. Iwata is both of those things, he's good with people, good with the public, good with PR, and he's actually both designed, coded and played video games. The ultimate Nintendo goal is still Yamauchi's vision, Iwata just offered him a different way to see it through, and Yamauchi still has enough business savvy to know a good deal when it walks in his office and takes a seat.

zallaaa said:
two weeks and the Wii should be millionaire for the second time, well done! anyway, I can't get used to see the ps3 at 20k level, it just doesn't seem "right"...

shoot I wish I could sell 20,000 of something per week

well not at a loss though

johnsmith

remember me
What i find most amazing is that people are seriously discussing FF13 moving to a different console without getting laughed out of the room. I never would have imagined this before last year's E3.

Krowley

A question..

Does anybody expect to see a SE RPG for the wii prominently displayed at their upcoming event?

And, will it be Chrystal chronicles or something more significant?

Does anybody think that one of these "other" ff13 games is a wii game?

I'm sort of expecting them so show a new wii rpg there personaly.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
My Chemical Mouse said:

My god, you're not even trying to stealth your trolling now are you?

Nintendo, with the DS, shown that they could create a new niche for its product, and exploit it to the hilt, hence why PSP isn't actually doing that badly, the DS is just being uber, the same is happening with Wii vs PS3 in Japan, only difference being is that Nintendo are successfully enticing their target audience, and Sony are not.

Even if Sony dropped their price of the PS3 (And remember Japan already pays less than the rest of the world, it had that price drop pre-launch), they wouldn't dent Wii sales by much, because prospective PS3 customers are not the same as prospective Wii customers, especially in Japan.

Finally, you don't need to be a fan of Nintendo products to admire their business decicions, after the mistakes made with N64/GC, they appear to be back on fine form, and that can only benefit the industry as a whole.

Brak

Krowley said:
Yes that's true... I have to agree with that.. I'm not saying nintendo didn't do anything right. There were a lot of good decisions made with the wii...

All i'm saying is that sony could have delivered much more powerfull system than the wii at 300 dollars... Something along the lines of the tard pack 360, only with a little built in storage.. If sony had done that, it would be a different race right now. If ps3 had been a true successor to ps2 in terms of philosophy and targeting an audience, they could have kept their fans...

Nintendo made some smart moves with the wii, but i think they are getting away with making the system too weak because of sony's mistake. For 200 bucks nintendo could have made a more powerful system if they'd been willing to take a loss.
Absolutely. That's basically the way I see it. But making a weaker system was a calculated risk for Nintendo. It was their way of artificially halting the dramatic rise in game budgets; an appeal to developers to get creative and make new kinds of games with less financial risk.

It really was a perfect storm, and now Nintendo has washed up on a magical island made of rubies, and gold, and sexy mermaids.

Kafel

Banned
Those predicting the Wii winning worldwide, don't only focus on Europe/Australia + USA + Japan.

All others territories may look very close at the price of their console, and not own a lot of HDTVs.

Taker666

I don't think you will see the main Final Fantasy series move to the Wii...not because of Japan but because of the west. I just don't think Final Fantasy will do the same business over here on the Wii as it would on the PS3.

Dragon Quest is a different matter. It's only really big in Japan (where Wii is handily winning)..and a move to a Nintendo system in the West may increase its profile as it would be seen as the key RPG for the system as opposed to being in the shadow of Final Fantasy.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Kafel said:
Those predicting the Wii winning worldwide, don't only focus on Europe/Australia + USA + Japan.

All others territories may look very close at the price of their console, and not own a lot of HDTVs.

I am pretty sure the Third World Countries will probably declare the Super Nintendo as the console of choice.

Koren

Xavien said:
It's certainly possible, since no-one predicted that Dragon Quest 9 would be on the DS and I'm sure SE will throw a few more curve balls before this generation is out.
There were a lot of people saying that it should, if Enix policy wasn't changed. I was very surprised to see it on a portable, but thinking about it, since PS2 is not very young now, it was the only solution before we know which will have a sufficient userbase for DQ X.

As for Final Fantasy... Back to PSX/N64, FF VII was expected on Playstation, and DQ was rumored on N64. Enix was member of Nintendo Dream Team, and got early support and dev kits (Square wasn't). The rumor says (confirmed by a lot of declarations, and I believe that it's true) that Square asked Sony to convince Enix to choose Playstation to avoid splitting the market. It will be interesting to see if they're thinking now that a split is no more a problem...

justchris said:
Oh, no, don't get me wrong, I tease out of love. The direction Nintendo is taking is very much Yamauchi's vision. From the NES days, he's always been geared towards bringing in the greatest number of customers. Everyone who thinks that Iwata has taken the company in a new direction isn't thinking clearly. Yamauchi stepped down in deference to Iwata, Yamauchi chose him. There's no way he would have handed the company over to someone who's views and strategy he didn't agree with.

The difference is, Yamauchi was not a people person, at all. Nor was he a gamer, at all. Iwata is both of those things, he's good with people, good with the public, good with PR, and he's actually both designed, coded and played video games. The ultimate Nintendo goal is still Yamauchi's vision, Iwata just offered him a different way to see it through, and Yamauchi still has enough business savvy to know a good deal when it walks in his office and takes a seat.

Well said!

Top Bottom