• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/5 - 3/11

mollipen

Vinnk said:
The variety show in question is called "Hello Morning". :)

I feel kind of bad for knowing that.

You sure? Hello Morning is the H!P show that comes on, funny enough, in the morning. (Sunday I think it was.) I was thinking this was from the show where the hosts are that slightly chubby comedian guy with glasses and Nacchi. (Or, at least, they WERE the hosts. Haven't watched live episodes in a while, so it could have changed.)

I'm thinking those are two different shows. I was thinking that .gif was from the show I'm referring to, because they always had those gameshow-type segments. I could be wrong, and this actual clip could be from Hello Morning, though.

Haunted

I've never seen so many fellow German GAFfers posting in a MC thread before.
and people using babelfish to butcher the language ;)
:lol

Anyway, I'm LTTP but still: wow at Yoshi's Island DS and wow at MHP2, such a huge drop-off and still in 2nd place - a huge, huge success for Capcom.

It's awesome to see that all kinds of software - traditional and non-traditional - can share success on the DS. It's such a runaway phenomenon by now.. just amazing.

Vinnk

shidoshi said:
You sure? Hello Morning is the H!P show that comes on, funny enough, in the morning. (Sunday I think it was.) I was thinking this was from the show where the hosts are that slightly chubby comedian guy with glasses and Nacchi. (Or, at least, they WERE the hosts. Haven't watched live episodes in a while, so it could have changed.)

I'm thinking those are two different shows. I was thinking that .gif was from the show I'm referring to, because they always had those gameshow-type segments. I could be wrong, and this actual clip could be from Hello Morning, though.

I think you are right. Hello Morning dosn't have a studio audiance (at least not one that isn't entirely other HP! members). The clip was connected to Hello Morning in another thread, but you are right it is probably not.

I suppose I could ask some of my younger students, they would probably know. Unfortunately that would expose me as both someone who is both into TV games and underage idol groups. Things I would rather not have connected with me.

Vinnk said:
I think you are right. Hello Morning dosn't have a studio audiance (at least not one that isn't entirely other HP! members). The clip was connected to Hello Morning in another thread, but you are right it is probably not.

I suppose I could ask some of my younger students, they would probably know. Unfortunately that would expose me as both someone who is both into TV games and underage idol groups. Things I would rather not have connected with me.

It's from Hello Morning.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Since when did HM start having a studio audience?
Vinnk said:
But you're posting on GAF, too late! :D

cvxfreak

Last Week's Famitsu:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/top30/2007/03/15/120,1173941830,68593,0,0.html

h-121_68594_070330hard.jpg.jpg

31. (NDS, Nintendo) Wario: Master of Disguise
32. (NDS, Rocket Co.) Kanji Test
33. (NDS, IE Institute) Kanji Brain Test 2M
34. (NDS, Nintendo) 1000 Recipes
35. (NDS, Sega) Love+Berry
36. (NDS, Spike) IQ Supply
37. (NDS, Nintendo) Tetris DS
38. (WII, Takara-Tomy) Naruto: Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen! EX
39. (NDS, Konami) Death Note
40. (WII, Hudson) Bomberman Land Wii
41. (NDS, Bandai-Namco) Heisei Board of Education DS
42. (PS2, D3 Publisher) Hisshou Pachislo: Pachislo Kouryaku Series Vol. 9: CR Fever Captain Herlock
43. (NDS, EA) Dragon-Zakura DS
44. (NDS, Nintendo) Kirby Squeek Squad
45. (NDS, Sega) Bleach DS 2nd: Kokui Hirameku Requiem
46. (PS2, Alchemist) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
47. (NDS, Nintendo) Cooking Navi
48. (PS2, Sega) Sega Ages 2500 Series, Vol. 29: Monster World Complete Collection
49. (NDS, Nintendo) Jump Ultimate Stars
50. (NDS, Sega) Puyo-Puyo!

NDS - 34
WII - 7
PS2 - 6
PS3 - 2
PSP - 1

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | YTD | LTD
1. NDS - 108,631 | 111,926 | 1,597,965 | 15,603,644
2. PSP - 56,175 | 66,156 | 560,159 | 5,092,288
3. WII - 44,495 | 57,972 | 848,069 | 1,767,712
4. PS3 - 32,115 | 44,000 | 294,840 | 752,398
5. PS2 - 14,585 | 15,364 | 210,632 | 20,365,491
6. 360 - 3,333 | 3,379 | 68,722 | 333,424
7. GBA - 1,504 | 1,568 | 25,618 | 15,323,697
8. NGC - 240 | 303 | 4,672 | 4,174,140

s_20070305.png

SonSon2

PS3 and Wii getting awful close...

I think I can hear horrified PS3 fans running from the February NPD to here for some "good" news.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow..Wii went way down. Wii Sports had an insane attach rate this week...

It seems as if Nintendo really is saving up Wiis for the Golden Week and the April games (BBA and Super Paper Mario) - and they are playing it safe by still supplying more than PS3, if only to keep a nice and even lead. I wonder if this will effect Sonic Wii sales.

PSP is indeed doing very well. However, only one PSP game is selling...

KINGMOKU

FFS, already we have some people who dont get whats going on in Japan.

THE WII IS SUPPLY CONSTRAINED.

Next week, expect a massive jump in Wii numbers.

When I jokingly posted "expect 41k for Wii next week" IN LAST WEEKS mc THREAD, I was guessing that Nintendo has recognized that the largest videogame market(The U.S.) was gobbling up the Wii, so they got more of the Wii production line.

I expect around 67-83k for the Wii next week. If not, it will be the week after.

Jonnyram

WTF... they must be stockpiling Wiis for something.

Bebpo, have you even finished Layton yet? I can't believe you'd rather them make shit like Rogue Galaxy and Jeanne d'Arc over Layton.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Anyone who'd rather developers work on quirky little stuff than epic unforgettable adventures is a shithead.

Sign me up as a shithead.

I wear it as a proud badge against this GameNazi style wankery

(developers can do both, Level 5 are very hit and miss, and Layton is pretty awesome and i LIKE them trying something different ....)

People who want the same old shit... now they are shitheads X 3.

SonSon2

XiaNaphryz said:
Yeah, the difference is ALMOST under a million units!

I was just saying for this week!:D Though I'm waiting for somebody to puff out their chest with these numbers to somehow illustrate that the PS3 is on some kind of comeback.

Evlar

Banned
Thinking aloud here...

There are three types of Wii Sports purchases. Type A is Wii Sports + Wii purchased simultaneously. Type B is Wii Sports purchased AFTER a Wii (someone buys a Wii and some other game like Zelda, finishes it, then comes back to the store and buys Wii Sports). Type C is normally the rarest kind... purchasing a game BEFORE you buy the system. Type C only occurs when a console is supply-constrained.

The attach rate for Type A (simultaneous purchases) probably remains about the same week-for-week, since Wii Sports is the killer app for the system and the system's been supply constrained since launch. There is a pool of people who want a Wii, a fairly constant percentage of them want it for Wii Sports, and a representative portion of that group scores each week. So Type A purchases rise and fall as console sales rise and fall.

Type B (late purchases) are harder to predict but they probably also follow the sales of the console somewhat... just lagging behind a few weeks. In other words, Type B purchases are driven by people who pick Wii Sports as a second of third game rather than first, and the purchase is made after the most preferred games are finished.

Which leaves Type C (early purchases). The number of these purchases are INVERSELY related to console sales ONLY IF THE CONSOLE IS CONSTRAINED. The fewer consoles that are available, the more frustrated purchasers, and the more people who will say "Since I have the cash I'll just go ahead and buy Wii Sports today and get the system when I can find it in a store." They are an artifact of supply constraint, they completely vanish when the system is sitting on the shelf. And I think they are the best way to explain how attach rate for the killer app jumps when the console sales fall.

schuelma

The Sphinx said:
Thinking aloud here...

There are three types of Wii Sports purchases. Type A is Wii Sports + Wii purchased simultaneously. Type B is Wii Sports purchased AFTER a Wii (someone buys a Wii and some other game like Zelda, finishes it, then comes back to the store and buys Wii Sports). Type C is normally the rarest kind... purchasing a game BEFORE you buy the system. Type C only occurs when a console is supply-constrained.

The attach rate for Type A (simultaneous purchases) probably remains about the same week-for-week, since Wii Sports is the killer app for the system and the system's been supply constrained since launch. There is a pool of people who want a Wii, a fairly constant percentage of them want it for Wii Sports, and a representative portion of that group scores each week. So Type A purchases rise and fall as console sales rise and fall.

Type B (late purchases) are harder to predict but they probably also follow the sales of the console somewhat... just lagging behind a few weeks. In other words, Type B purchases are driven by people who pick Wii Sports as a second of third game rather than first, and the purchase is made after the most preferred games are finished.

Which leaves Type C (early purchases). The number of these purchases are INVERSELY related to console sales ONLY IF THE CONSOLE IS CONSTRAINED. The fewer consoles that are available, the more frustrated purchasers, and the more people who will say "Since I have the cash I'll just go ahead and buy Wii Sports today and get the when I can find it in a store." They are an artifact of supply constraint, they completely vanish when the system is sitting on the shelf. And I think they are the best way to explain how attach rate for the killer app jumps when the console sales fall.

Wow, didn't think of that- makes perfect sense in terms of explaining the rising Wii Sports attach rate.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Jonnyram said:
WTF... they must be stockpiling Wiis for something.

Bebpo, have you even finished Layton yet? I can't believe you'd rather them make shit like Rogue Galaxy and Jeanne d'Arc over Layton.
Super Paper Mario.

Alternatively, they might be shipping excess Wiis to PAL, because it takes a while for them to arrive to counter the PS3 launch period, and Japan will profit immediately from next month's Wii production boost anyhow and easily recatch its lost sales.

Its Super Paper Mario all right.

Pellham

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
I don't think Nintendo qualifies for your definition. Yeah, they make a ton of sequels but they have quite a stable of games. And sequels doesn't equal licenses. Their major games see sequels every 2-3 years. You could put EA, Activision in there before Nintendo.

Well Nintendo is still a sequelitis company. And quite frankly I don't mind it at all. I'd rather play a new Mario/Zelda/Fire Emblem game from Nintendo then some new game starring characters or featuring elements that I don't care about. Same with Square Enix. Who cares about their new games when I have DQ, FF, and SaGa remakes to look forward to?

No this isn't sarcasm. I am a consumer whore.

schuelma

So is anyone worried that Wii demand is dying down or are we all convinced N is just hoarding units?

wsippel

Banned
Souldriver said:
Hmm, if that means they'll decrease Wii supply that long, the next coming weeks will be pretty bad.
They actually increase the production capacity in the next weeks, anyway, to more than a million units a month, so they don't need to limit the supply for long...

SRG01

3. WII - 44,495 | 57,972 | 848,069 | 1,767,712
4. PS3 - 32,115 | 44,000 | 294,840 | 752,398

Wow.

But still, Wii = PS3 numbers + 1mil. And if it really is supply constrained, then it's no problem.

Sony, I'm so disappointed in you. :(

Jammy

Banned
Wii demand isn't dying down. If that were true, the system would be at least semi-easy to find in Japan, which is just untrue according to every report we've heard.

Low DSL and Wii sales in the same week seem to just mean that Nintendo is either hoarding consoles for when the bigger hitters in April come (that AND Golden Week).

OR they're starting to focus more on Europe or America after seeing that they pretty much have Japan in the bag. PS3's upcoming release schedule is very dire, and Nintendo knows it's coming off of a multi-million-seller in Big Brain Academy for DS and an increased liking for all things Mario.

Top Bottom