• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/5 - 3/11

rs7k

You guys should all get a conference room, wear suits, bring presentation materials and argue about all this. I'd Youtube it.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
rs7k said:
You guys should all get a conference room, wear suits, bring presentation materials and argue about all this. I'd Youtube it.

and Tabris would have it removed for offensive content.

congratulations to Wii Play for reaching 1 Million !

wiihaauh3.gif

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !

linsivvi

Kafel said:
Sadly, no.

The new Gundam announced for DS ( in the last "Japan news" topic ) will quickly replace this one seeing how complete it looks.

Traditionally SRW games do better than Gundam Generational games though. SRW games contain Gundams too.

this thread just reminded me that it's been over a year since the last arguably *new* resident evil title and that was a remake.

thanks thread.

thanks a bunch.

seattle6418 said:
i disagree. outside of zelda, there´s nothing that speaks hardcore on the wii right now. everything else is trying to reach a broader audience, or i could say, trying to reach myamoto´s wife and such people into gaming.

the wii is constantly being talked about a complementary system to PS3 or 360. that´s not the case in japan, we knoe gaming has changed a lot there, but i wonder: did japanese gamers abandon harcore, real games, or they are just waiting a price drop on the PS3?

Imagine of you had 100 needles, and that was the Japanese gaming market of hardcores, in a haystack. Well the DS has made that haystack into a huge barn, full of hay. So the needles are still there, there's probably more now, there's probably around 250, but in a barn full of hay, its also harder to see them. A close look at sales comparisons of previous iterations of games will prove this.

So basically the market has grown.

NeonZ

linsivvi said:
Traditionally SRW games do better than Gundam Generational games though. SRW games contain Gundams too.

But SRW W only had CE Gundams(SEED and Astray), unlike this new SRW which has every single TV series. Besides, games based on early UC Gundams usually sell more than ones based on CE.

typhonsentra said:
It appears to be pretty self-explanatory. A question was asked about a game system, and the answer was Wii.

Who asked the question? Why where they talking about Wii? What show was this?

It's hardly self-explanatory.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
DeaconKnowledge said:

It's probably just another Japanese variety show, they have plenty of quiz-type games in those. They bring up all sorts of random current event stuff for questions.

mollipen

DeaconKnowledge said:

It's... damn. What show is it? The name is on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't remember it at the moment. It's a typical Japanese comedy show where they often have J-pop stars on, especially the Hello! Project girls. At one point, they have three teams of two people each, and they ask them a series of questions.

shidoshi said:
It's... damn. What show is it? The name is on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't remember it at the moment. It's a typical Japanese comedy show where they often have J-pop stars on, especially the Hello! Project girls. At one point, they have three teams of two people each, and they ask them a series of questions.

something 'Morning' something, as I recall badly from another thread.

XiaNaphryz

shidoshi said:
Maybe Hey! Hey! Hey! or Utaban? Hello Project acts aren't really on a lot of shows anymore. I don't think it's their Hello Morning show since there's audience members in the background.

I don't think it's Utaban, the on-screen graphics don't look like the ones typically used on that show. I could be wrong though.

Neomoto

01. (NDS, Nintendo) Yoshi's Island DS - 303,114 / NEW
Hot damm, it TRIPPLED it's first day sales? Incredible. And to think I doubted it would make it to 100k in it's first week. How is this title performing in the rest of the world?

Wii Play is the second million seller for Wii is such a short timespawn, wow. Now.. WHO will be the third one.. Super Paper Mario or Big Brain Academy! (I'm guessing SPM).
NSMB missed the top 10 by one spot. FF III finally made it crawling with 2 broken legs to the finish line ;) Oh, seems like Mario Kart is higher in the charts the past few weeks than before.. why?

Pokemon combined is still in the top 10 (according to Famitsu # 9). Just think how high it will end up with, especially when they'll release the third sku that will sell craploads on top of it all.

Nice sales for the rest of the charts.. wait.. what is that I see? two ps3 games in the top 30? Wow, seriously that's very good considering the last few months.

ComputerNerd said:
Those types of games never become successes on consoles, compared to their portable bretherin.

Pokemon was never able to cross the gap.
Uhm their never was a true console Pokemon. And if it would come, done completely right like the television shows and as a MMORPG, the Wii would define a new description for the word shortages. It could be far bigger than WoW (8.5 mill worldwide).

XiaNaphryz

shidoshi said:
Nope, it isn't either of those. Man, this is pissing me off...
Is it one of Sanma Akashiya's shows? Apparently Japanese Wii owners were sent a Sanma mii a few days ago.

apotema

Mr. Pointy said:
Question: is it possible for FFIIIr to out sell the original FFIII (~1.3 million, give or take) in Japan?

It could be, but it has almost ran out of gas

Could New Super Mario Bros outsell Old Super Mario Bros?? 2 millions to go

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
How can you not accuse Capcom of sequelitis? It's not possible, all companies make new IPs and Capcom has been putting a effort to making more than they usually do recently (esp. on the 360) but Capcom is up there with Nintendo and Square-Enix when it comes to milking franchises. Atlus doesn't exactly let go of the SMT brand either, only on the DS recently did they let a R&D1 team make new IPs.

Pureauthor said:
Don't mind me, I'll just be sitting over... there, sulking.
I'll join you.

Neomoto said:
Wii Play is the second million seller for Wii is such a short timespawn, wow. Now.. WHO will be the third one.. Super Paper Mario or Big Brain Academy! (I'm guessing SPM).

I think you might be guessing wrong - neither Paper Mario or Paper Mario 2 passed 1 million, with PM only just making it past 500,000 IIRC. Both games came out well into the lifespan of the N64 & the 'Cube and while Mario is having something of a resurgence thanks to recent DS outings, I would be surprised if SPM broke 500,000, let alone a million.

Big Brain Academy has a better chance, IMO, as it would seem to appeal to the audience who snapped up Wii Sports and Wii Play and - while not as successful as the Brain Training series - its first installment proved to be very popular. Whether it can make the jump to the Wii remains to be seen - in fact, you could look at it as the first test of whether Nintendo have succeeded in positioning the Wii as the sitting room version of the DS. Can big DS franchises move to Wii, or is the portability key to their appeal?

Wiitard

Banned
Magicpaint said:
SEGA said there are "a lot of tennis" games on Wii at the moment and so they're looking to see how well those perform, but they have no plans to bring any tennis title to the Wii.

This is the worst news ever. Or maybe not if there actually were a lot of tennis games on Wii. I though Sega's position was that they are looking at how they could adapt the controls? do you have a source for this?

Honestly, I really don't think Wii need to take over the world or anything like that to make bowling, boxing, tennis, golf and volleyball games on any other console not a terribly smart business proposition. If Wii was selling half of what PS3 was, it would still be a better idea to have a tennis game on Wii then on PS3. Of course the publishers are determined to port Fight Night to PS3, VT to 360 and so on.

farnham

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
I think you might be guessing wrong - neither Paper Mario or Paper Mario 2 passed 1 million, with PM only just making it past 500,000 IIRC. Both games came out well into the lifespan of the N64 & the 'Cube and while Mario is having something of a resurgence thanks to recent DS outings, I would be surprised if SPM broke 500,000, let alone a million.

Big Brain Academy has a better chance, IMO, as it would seem to appeal to the audience who snapped up Wii Sports and Wii Play and - while not as successful as the Brain Training series - its first installment proved to be very popular. Whether it can make the jump to the Wii remains to be seen - in fact, you could look at it as the first test of whether Nintendo have succeeded in positioning the Wii as the sitting room version of the DS. Can big DS franchises move to Wii, or is the portability key to their appeal?

Well Mario had a revival with Mario kart DS and New Mario bros..

SPM could be regarded as the new New mario bros...(i know it sounds horrible)

Jiggy

Cosmonaut X said:
Those were RPGs, while SPM is a platformer. It might appeal to the NSMB audience, in which case it's got a fair shot, I'd say.

1) Holy shit at Layton's sales going *up* from last week. UNSTOPPABOW
2) It's so cute that some of you guys think that Gundam's drop in sales is because of supply constraints and not the fact that every video game not on the Nintendo DS drops massively in its second week, let alone games on the PS3's tiny userbase.
3) I feel bad for a little over 300,000 people right now.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I have a good feeling SPM will easily beat any of the Paper Mario games sales.

Also, no rumored hardware yet?

Jiggy37 said:
Those were RPGs, while SPM is a platformer. It might appeal to the NSMB audience, in which case it's got a fair shot, I'd say.

Well, "platformer" is a bit of a stretch based on what we know about the title - it isn't anything like a pure platformer like NSMB or YIDS. I certainly wouldn't rule stellar sales out, but I am struggling to see it as anything but a solid second-tier title in the vein of Smooth Moves.

Quite happy to be surprised, though!

farnham

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
1) Holy shit at Layton's sales going *up* from last week. UNSTOPPABOW
2) It's so cute that some of you guys think that Gundam's drop in sales is because of supply constraints and not the fact that every video game not on the Nintendo DS drops massively in its second week, let alone games on the PS3's tiny userbase.
3) I feel bad for a little over 300,000 people right now.
kobun.. i need retronauts.. get jeremy and make the next episode..

farnham

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Well, "platformer" is a bit of a stretch based on what we know about the title - it isn't anything like a pure platformer like NSMB or YIDS. I certainly wouldn't rule stellar sales out, but I am struggling to see it as anything but a solid second-tier title in the vein of Smooth Moves.

Quite happy to be surprised, though!
How the hell are the nongamers going to know:lol they will just watch the ads and go apeshit over it..

Now that L5 has found success with Layton... do you think the DS will get a real RPG from them? Aside from DQIX, which is being funded by Enix anyway.

Chris Michael said:
Now that L5 has found success with Layton... do you think the DS will get a real RPG from them?
So basically now that they've found success, you think that they should completely put the brakes on the whole formula for their success and make something totally derivative? What an awesome idea.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Cosmonaut X said:

YIDS just sold 300k in its first week and you're questioning SPM's non-game status?

Kobun Heat said:
So basically now that they've found success, you think that they should completely put the brakes on the whole formula for their success and make something totally derivative? What an awesome idea.

Why not this and that?

KINGMOKU

My personal feelings is that SPM is going to be a moderate bomba, and something for the "stupid argument posters" to run with in MC threads for the forseeable future.

1.)"REAL games wont sell on the Wii"

2.)"Looks like the DS's success cant be translated to the Wii"

3.)"Mario Galaxy isnt going to do any better"

AND so on and soforth.

STG!

Oblivion said:
I have a good feeling SPM will easily beat any of the Paper Mario games sales.

Totally agree, it'll probably having good to great sales out of the gate, and I could easily see this one having legs. Same with Big Brain Academy. The only thing that could see hurting the initial sales for either of these games is the number of Wii's out there.

The release of those two could cement the Wii's #1 position console-wise for the rest of the year. Has Nintendo been advertising Super Paper Mario?

Neomoto

Cosmonaut X said:

I agree on Big Brain Academy and I think it'll have legs that'll cary it (just like Wii Sports and Wii Play show every week, but to a lesser extent). But I think SPM could do good too. I know it's a wildcard but I think that people will see it more as a console mario platformer than the third Paper Mario game (which it isn't), which will hopefully lead to more gamers that want to play it (and 3 Mario games on DS turned out to be hugely succesfull). Oh and if Nintendo doesn't screw up it will most likely have far better launch numbers than BBA in it's first week so perhaps it will make it to non-game status before BBA does ;) But I guess we'll know more soon enough when both games will launch :) At the very least it'll be very interesting.

XiaNaphryz

Saitou said:
You mean Morning Musume or summat like that?
Nah, that's a group. He's probably thinking of the Hello Morning show that various Hello Project acts (including MoMusu) do random stuff on.

Evlar

Banned
SPM will be very telling, really the best barometer of the future of the Wii released this spring. It poses several questions:

1) How deep is the new-found excitement for Mario? Does it extend beyond the DS and beyond strictly retro-styled games?
2) Can Wii software succeed beyond the motion-dependent mechanics of Wii Sports and Wii Play?
3) How transferrable is DS success to Wii success in general? (Big Brain Academy will also address this.)

New Super Mario Bros. is officially the best-selling game in Japan, ever*. This changes things, a lot. Do I think Super Paper Mario is a guaranteed million-seller? No. But Mario is now literally one of the hottest properties in Japan, and therefore this is going to do very well.

You can't -- can't -- just look at the sales of Paper Mario on GameCube and believe that there is any relevance there whatsoever, anything in that data that would suggest a figure for SPM. Not only has everything changed since then, but SPM is a side-scrolling action game, not an RPG.

*Or it's very close to it; at any rate it will be eventually.

Top Bottom