• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/5 - 3/11

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Can anybody with the data speak about the precedent of having two one-million sellers in a system's first 3 months? I mean, this is in the very least an unqualified smashing success for Nintendo, right?

Anything else they do (10 million + units?) all starts here.

Kusagari

What is Diamond and Pearl combined at? I want to know how it's faring against NSMB. I know their ahead but by how much?

Brak

CoolTrick said:
Since when has GAF ever been a democracy?

a) That's why I almost never posted the MC threads.
b) We survived for eons without crappy boxart images.
I think the races to post m-create threads in the past was even more silly than this particular argument. Especially when people would post the threads without the numbers or wrong numbers or whatever. Your thread this week didn't really do much to bolster your position. It's much better to just have one quality thread every week, it doesn't really matter who makes it.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
v1cious said:
didn't everyone say Yoshi's Island would sell close to a million?
I surely didn't thought it would sell 300k+ in it's first week

ethelred

Capcom rocks. It's nice to see the company rewarded for sticking with a platform that most publishers are backing away from -- they've always had this really awesome egalitarian approach to game development that helps elevate them above the partisan system wars BS that infects most games.

Also, getting a new franchise into million-selling status is a rarity, and if anyone deserves it, it's Capcom (for so consistently working to make new franchises in the first place). So kudos all around.

Layton's sales are also amazing; selling almost 50k at this point is seriously impressive. I wonder if Layton will pass L5's Sony-published RPGs? Rogue Galaxy, Dark Chronicle... they didn't sell all that much, in the grand scheme of things, and the way Layton's chugging along, it certainly seems possible. Either way, it's a fantastic achievement for a brand new publisher with a brand new IP.

v1cious said:

In week 1? No, nobody in their right mind thought that. But selling 300k in its first week means the game almost certainly will go platinum.

Evlar

Banned
PantherLotus said:
Can anybody with the data speak about the precedent of having two one-million sellers in a system's first 3 months? I mean, this is in the very least an unqualified smashing success for Nintendo, right?

... Nothing's coming to mind. One killer app at launch is fairly rare, and I think two may be unique to Wii, even if the second is an accessory bundle.

ethelred said:
Capcom rocks. It's nice to see the company rewarded for sticking with a platform that most publishers are backing away from -- they've always had this really awesome egalitarian approach to game development that helps elevate them above the partisan system wars BS that infects most games.

Also, getting a new franchise into million-selling status is a rarity, and if anyone deserves it, it's Capcom (for so consistently working to make new franchises in the first place). So kudos all around.

Well, not to rib on Capcom, but can a port really be considered 'sticking' with the PSP?

Layton's sales are also amazing; selling almost 50k at this point is seriously impressive. I wonder if Layton will pass L5's Sony-published RPGs? Rogue Galaxy, Dark Chronicle... they didn't sell all that much, in the grand scheme of things, and the way Layton's chugging along, it certainly seems possible. Either way, it's a fantastic achievement for a brand new publisher with a brand new IP.

So how well did Rogue Galaxy and Dark Cloud sell again?

PantherLotus said:

Hmm, I imagine this is even beyond what DS did in its first 3 months. Did DS even have two 1 million sellers within its first 3 months?

Brak

v1cious said:
Maybe lifetime - which it will easily do. I don't recall anyone saying that it would sell close to a million in the first week. It certainly wasn't the consensus.

justchris

CoolTrick said:
:lol Cheesemeister has something he does to put the info up that fast. I can't fathom a way you can put that much information up that fast through traditional methods, even if you spoke/read fluent Japanese. Hell I clicked refresh when they were changing the boxart for the #1 game but the info still had Gundam's, so I clicked it right as they were changing it.

My thread was in protest of the stupid cluttered format and someone attempting to become the official poster of the MC threads. I don't normally care who posts the thread but I think this thread just reeks of pretentiousness, personally. Particularly where he links to the past Cheesemeister only MC threads, and all the useless boxarts (for only the top five?) and linkages.

It worked this way. Cheesemeister posted a MC thread, built a parser to get it up quickly, and then took suggestions on layout and format from everyone. All the normal MC thread starters gave their input, then bowed out of posting because Cm was doing the job to their satisfaction. More importantly, Cm consistenly keeps the OP updated with 31-50 and HW numbers when they're available, something that was unreliable before then.

Hence Cm is the de facto MC guy by general agreement. If you want to be the MC guy, then you have to do it better than Cm does, otherwise we'll stick with what he offers, and make suggestions for improvement (which he seems willing to listen to and work on).

Defuser

Pureauthor said:
Well, not to rib on Capcom, but can a port really be considered 'sticking' with the PSP?
That's what i thought also but i been hearing it's different from the PS2 version.

Evlar

Banned
nextgeneration said:
Hmm, I imagine this is even beyond what DS did in its first 3 months. Did DS even have two 1 million sellers within its first 3 months?
It had two strong games (Mario64 DS and WarioWare Touched) but both took more than a year to break a million.

Cheesemeister said:
See post #79. It's been by request-only lately, as I figured it might be wearing a bit thin.

Well, reading IS fundamental.

34.gif

cvxfreak

CoolTrick said:
No, ever since he just posted his topic before mine.

There was one week when a bunch of people including me got our topics up before Cheese. Cheese's was complete, so his got to stay up.

Really good legs for Layton. It's actually jumped up from 34k last week, eerily reminiscent of Brain Training all those moons ago. Not suggesting it'll have those crazy legs but I can definitely see it hitting 500k, that would probably cement it's localization abroad, hopefully anyway.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sorry, dont read this as an attempt to start a polemic, but can someone please explain me what's so awesome about Yoshi's Island DS 1st week sales? Aren't they lower than Monster Hunter portable 2 1st week sales (around 700.000 IIRC). Shouldnt they be higher considered the DS installed base?

I'm just trying to get into all this neoGAF loving for sales charts so excuse me if I dont see the obvious here. :)

Defuser

TTP said:
Sorry, dont read this as an attempt to start a polemic, but can someone please explain me what's so awesome about Yoshi's Island DS 1st week sales? Aren't they lower than Monster Hunter portable 2 1st week sales (around 700.000 IIRC).

I'm just trying to get into all this neoGAF loving for sales charts so excuse me if I dont see the obvious here. :)
Five syllabus : Nintendo fanboys

TTP said:
Sorry, dont read this as an attempt to start a polemic, but can someone please explain me what's so awesome about Yoshi's Island DS 1st week sales? Aren't they lower than Monster Hunter portable 2 1st week sales (around 700.000 IIRC). Shouldnt they be higher considered the DS installed base?

It's not that Yoshi's sales are bad, it's that MHP2's sales are phenomenal (moreso regarding the platform it's on).

300K is something just about any dev would be happy to have on their first week.

Saitou

Banned
Pureauthor said:
It's not that Yoshi's sales are bad, it's that MHP2's sales are phenomenal (moreso regarding the platform it's on).

300K is something just about any dev would be happy to have on their first week.
100k first-week sales should make any dev cream their pants.

VicAlpha said:
Could we have a list of the games that will be released next week?

Quick 'n' dirty translation of releases for 3/15...

NDS
Spectrobes
Biohazard Heroes
Theme Park DS
Tengai Makyou II: Manji Maru (Hudson The Best)
Tokimeki Memorial: Girl's Side 1st Love
Konami Arcade Collection
Survival Kids: Lost in Blue 2
Hamtaro: Ham-chan's Ham-Ham Challenge!
Word Puzzle Mojipittan DS
Spinning Princess: Sparkling Figure * Ice Angel
Kuropoto
Spongebob and Friends

PS2
Kenichi
Sengoku Basara 2 (Capcom Collection)
Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas (Capcom Collection)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
Garouden: Breakblow Fist or Twist
Kiniro no Koruda 2
Kiniro no Koruda 2 (Platinum Box)
Ape Escape: Million Monkeys (PS2 The Best)
Guilty Gear XX Slash (Sega The Best)
Standard Daisenryaku: Lost Victory (Sega The Best)
Standard Daisenryaku: Dengeki-sen (Sega The Best)
Tenkabito (Sega The Best)
Spongebob
Rozen Maiden: Duellwalzer (Taito Best)

PS3
Fight Night Round 3

Burnout Revenge (Platinum)
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (Platinum)
Perfect Dark Zero (Platinum)
Chromehounds (Platinum)

WII
G1 Jockey Wii
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Spongebob

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Pureauthor said:

ah ok. Which DS game sold the most on its 1st week? How much did it sell? Was is Super Mario DS perhaps?

Pureauthor said:

I think YI is a bit more of a surprise, too. We almost expected MHP2 to be a juggernaut, but Yoshi, not so much.

Oh, and go go Layton :).

Evlar

Banned
TTP said:
Sorry, dont read this as an attempt to start a polemic, but can someone please explain me what's so awesome about Yoshi's Story 1st week sales? Aren't they lower than Monster Hunter portable 2 1st week sales (around 700.000 IIRC).

700k isn't the magical barrier to awesomeness. It's a platformer on a system already saturated with platformers (including the second-best performing platformer of all time, still selling strong). It's also somewhat of a hardcore game, counter to the popular idea that Japan prefers easy games these days. Finally, because of the DS's software sales pattern it may be the newest future million-seller on the platform.

TTP said:

You must also realize that games like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart debuted at about 300k and 200k repsectfully.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Cheesemeister said:
PS3
Fight Night Round 3

PS3 sales will skyrocket next week I tell you
:/

edit: *reads above* Thanks for the replies guys. Got a better picture now :)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
TTP said:

Considering YIDS is a Mario spinoff, it did better than many expected. It's not held to the same standard as a real Mario game.

ah ok. Which DS game sold the most on its 1st week? How much did it sell? Was is Super Mario DS perhaps?

Somebody can correct me, but I THINK it was NSMB at 900k. Or maybe Pokemon D/P.

Edit: Beaten so many times...damn GAF. :p

i hate to see people comparing PS3 with wii.

why doesn´t people understand that they are two completely different systems reaching out different audiences?

wii sucess won´t define if PS3 flops or is a huge hit

Defuser said:
Five syllabus : Nintendo fanboys

Dude, stop it. Last thing we need is the PAP breathing down our necks with another 'Speak Good English' campaign. :(

why doesn´t people understand that they are two completely different systems reaching out different audiences?

Yes, it will, because every single console on the market is in direct competition for 3rd party developers, and guess what? There's a limited pool of those.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Addendum: learn what 'syllabus' means, and the many exciting ways it differs from 'syllables'.

:lol :lol
Thanks for clearing that up. I was staring at the screen trying to understand what was meant by syllabus.

Evlar

Banned
seattle6418 said:

HAS anyone compared PS3 with Wii in this thread?

ethelred said:

If Capcom has an "egalitarian" approach, they sure have a funny way of showing it. They published about 4 times as many games for PS2 as for GC and XBox combined. Nearly every game they've brought to PSP has been either a port or a remake of an old game.

And since when is Monster Hunter a new franchise? Does Capcom really do any more new franchises than your typical Japanese publisher? In fact, don't they have a reputation for making lots and lots of sequels, some with very modest improvements at best?

seattle6418 said:

Dude, you're too early.us Should've waited until at least Saturday or Friday.

miguel_c_hammer said:
If Capcom has an "egalitarian" approach, they sure have a funny way of showing it. They published about 4 times as many games for PS2 as for GC and XBox combined. Nearly every game they've brought to PSP has been either a port or a remake of an old game.

And since when is Monster Hunter a new franchise? Does Capcom really do any more new franchises than your typical Japanese publisher? In fact, don't they have a reputation for making lots and lots of sequels, some with very modest improvements at best?

Last gen, we got Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand, Devil May Cry.

This gen, we've already got Lost Planet, Dead Rising, some Island Adventure thing on the Wii (that's a new IP, right?).

I'd say they're pretty good with trying out new stuff.

seattle6418 said:

I'm sorry, but yes, it will. I mean...it won't make the PS3 flop if it continues, but it's going to put a very big cap on its potential success.

Pureauthor said:
Dude, stop it. Last thing we need is the PAP breathing down our necks with another 'Speak Good English' campaign. :(

You're too late!

dojo3.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
What the hell? YI DS only just came out in Japan? And a third of a million in its first week? DAYUM.

Top Bottom