• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/5 - 3/11

seattle6418 said:
i hate to see people comparing PS3 with wii.

why doesn´t people understand that they are two completely different systems reaching out different audiences?

wii sucess won´t define if PS3 flops or is a huge hit

Im pretty sure this was the same thing people were saying about the PSP and the DS back when they were somewhat close. ;)

wsippel

Banned
seattle6418 said:
i hate to see people comparing PS3 with wii.

why doesn´t people understand that they are two completely different systems reaching out different audiences?

wii sucess won´t define if PS3 flops or is a huge hit
The thing is, they are completely different, but they do target the same audience (hardcore gamers). It's just that Nintendo also targets a bigger audience. But both systems are 7th generation gaming consoles, which makes them direct competitors. And 3rd-party developers will, in general, go where the money is (read: installed base). If they dedicate ressources to Wii-development, the PS3 gets less games...

Segata Sanshiro said:
You're too late!

dojo3.jpg

I'm willing to vouch you don't have much idea what I'm talking about anyway. :D

Vinnk

apujanata said:
Any observation regarding availability of Gundam Musou in Japan, JR ?

I can only tell you about its availability in my town (as of yesterday):

Wanpaku (Chain Store): 12 copies left
Best Denki: 8 copies left
Famicom Dojo: 1 copy (but only received one, they are a very small store)
Book Net (manga/anime/game shop): Sold out (they had around 6)

That is clearly not all of Japan, but in my town I can confirm that it is not supply constrained.

Pureauthor said:
Last gen, we got Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand, Devil May Cry.

This gen, we've already got Lost Planet, Dead Rising, some Island Adventure thing on the Wii (that's a new IP, right?).

I'd say they're pretty good with trying out new stuff.

Well, they publish so many games... you'd think there should be that many new IPs if only by the law of averages. Regardless, it would be instructive to see a comparison of new IPs among the top Japanese publishers(Capcom, Konami, Namco-Bandai, Square-Enix, etc) over the last few years.

Just a few comments about the DS/Wii games...

NDS
Spectrobes <-- The Disney-sponsored Pokemon-like Clone. Will it chart?
Theme Park DS <-- Probably less than SimCity, since not as well-known in Japan... or?
Tokimeki Memorial: Girl's Side 1st Love <--- Do we want to know what this is about? Dating game?
Konami Arcade Collection <-- Probably will not do very well, alas
Survival Kids: Lost in Blue 2 <-- Hopefully better sales than the first one, due to user base
Spinning Princess: Sparkling Figure * Ice Angel <-- Isn't this the figure skating game?

WII
Sonic and the Secret Rings <--Good chances for top 10?

Vinnk said:

That is clearly not all of Japan, but in my town I can confirm that it is not supply constrained.

What about The GameCube Hut? :)

splattergnome said:
Spinning Princess: Sparkling Figure * Ice Angel <-- Isn't this the figure skating game?

Yes.

Evlar

Banned
Vinnk said:

I like the Vinnk's Village Report. This should become a regular feature.

Pureauthor said:
I'm willing to vouch you don't have much idea what I'm talking about anyway. :D

I know all about the movement, Mr. Author. Now, are you willing to speak good English, or do I have to inform the Party?

<Harsh invective>

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Pardon my ignorance, is Sonic big in Japan or is it a western thing? Just trying to get some realistic expectations for next week...

Segata Sanshiro said:
I know all about the movement, Mr. Author. Now, are you willing to speak good English, or do I have to inform the Party?

<Harsh invective>

*activates hidden tradoor*

You'll never take me alive!

*leaps through trapdoor*

THUD!

... Stupid place to put a lever.

Saitou

Banned
super funk said:
Im pretty sure this was the same thing people were saying about the PSP and the DS back when they were somewhat close. ;)
Don't open old wounds...

I like the Vinnk's Village Report. This should become a regular feature.

If only for the 'Famicom Dojo' laughs.

wsippel said:
The thing is, they are completely different, but they do target the same audience (hardcore gamers). It's just that Nintendo also targets a bigger audience. But both systems are 7th generation gaming consoles, which makes them direct competitors. And 3rd-party developers will, in general, go where the money is (read: installed base). If they dedicate ressources to Wii-development, the PS3 gets less games...

i disagree. outside of zelda, there´s nothing that speaks hardcore on the wii right now. everything else is trying to reach a broader audience, or i could say, trying to reach myamoto´s wife and such people into gaming.

the wii is constantly being talked about a complementary system to PS3 or 360. that´s not the case in japan, we knoe gaming has changed a lot there, but i wonder: did japanese gamers abandon harcore, real games, or they are just waiting a price drop on the PS3?

Professor Layton's success is pretty amazing. I haven't seen a single television commercial for it. Seems to be mostly word of mouth plus Level 5's reputation.

Saitou

Banned
seattle6418 said:
i disagree. outside of zelda, there´s nothing that speaks hardcore on the wii right now. everything else is trying to reach a broader audience, or i could say, trying to reach myamoto´s wife and such people into gaming.
Did you totally miss out on Fire Emblem or something?

seattle6418 said:
i don´t totally agree. outside of zelda, there´s nothing that speaks hardcore on the wii right now. everything else is trying to reach a broader audience, or i could say, trying to reach myamoto´s wife and such people into gaming.

Warioware? Pokemon? Wii Sports? Wii Play? Sonic? Elebits? FIRE EMBLEM?!

Funny, I thought a mark of the hardcore gamer was that they were willing to try more stuff than the casuals and nongamers.

the wii is constantly being talked about a complementary system to PS3 or 360. that´s not the case in japan, we knoe gaming has changed a lot there, but i wonder: did japanese gamers abandon harcore, real games, or they are just waiting a price drop on the PS3?

The Japanese have not abandoned hardcore games. However, they're currently looking for them on the DS (and to a lesser extent the Wii), not the PS3.

Vinnk said:

oh naturally the anime and game store would sell out

anecdotal evidence ftw

seattle6418 said:

Talk about your false dichotomies.

Evlar

Banned
People have been saying that the DS-driven shakeup in Japan would elevate new/small publishers and perhaps throw down some old ones... Level 5 joins Atlus as a contender.

Terrell

"Famicom Dojo"... wow, seems someone had the GameCube Hut concept all wrapped up about 15-20 years in advance, didn't they?

But yeah, the whole 2 million-sellers for Wii thing is pretty damn funny when comparing to last gen. When DQS hits, that number will shoot to 3 million-sellers, of this I'm certain.

The Sphinx said:
People have been saying that the DS-driven shakeup in Japan would elevate new/small publishers and perhaps throw down some old ones... Level 5 joins Atlus as a contender.

What about Marvelous?

schuelma

Terrell said:
"Famicom Dojo"... wow, seems someone had the GameCube Hut concept all wrapped up about 15-20 years in advance, didn't they?

But yeah, the whole 2 million-sellers for Wii thing is pretty damn funny when comparing to last gen. When DQS hits, that number will shoot to 3 million-sellers, of this I'm certain.

What's the opinion on Super Paper Mario? It certainly seems like it would be a huge seller....

Terrell

Pureauthor said:

Funny, I thought a mark of the hardcore gamer was that they were willing to try more stuff than the casuals and nongamers.
Hardcore gamers only like games that earn them "street cred" or come highly rated by some know-nothing journalist, and this explains why "good" games just don't cut it and are instant CRAP by comparison.

Face it, hardcore gamers nowadays are hyper-elitist turds in the same vein as the hyper-elitist jock/preppy turds who make fun of them for being geeks.

Rocksteady33

Is it just me or does it seem like the DS has just sparked an overall game buzz in general? I never really remember any games from last gen doing THAT well on consoles, I mean yes, there were some, but it was almost always Licensed Anime Game/Winning Eleven/Konami Baseball/Gundam for PS2. Over the past couple months we've even seen Xbox 360 games break the charts once in awhile, and Wii games are hitting million sellers, and one or two PS3 games managing to make the charts despite such a small userbase (yeah I know it's Gundam and shit though).

Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention to sales charts early on last gen, but it just seems like the launch of these consoles seems a lot more impressive in terms of software sales compared to the GameCube/PS2 (maybe not the PS2?)

schuelma

ShockingAlberto said:
Normally I'd say you're crazy, but Japan is nutso for 2D Mario platformers these days.

That's what I was thinking. Guess it depends on how N markets it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
it's awesome seeing NSMB selling so well, for all the hate it gets at GAF game sure is pulling in some impressive numbers.

I loved NSMB.

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, I just noticed that Power Smash 3 (VT3) did less than Heroes of Mana, which reportedly did 10k.

Virtua Tennis selling 5-8k = SEGA BOMBA. Maybe they should've included ONLINE...stupid AM3 @_@
who am I kidding, with online it would've sold 9k instead of 8k. Game needed to be on the DS

schuelma

JavyOO7 said:
I have a feeling Super Paper Mario won't do the numbers NSMB did. Just a feeling. :(

Yeah most assuredly not..but if it can at all tap into the 2-d love that NSMB rekindled, I think it could do very well.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Super Paper Mario is a wild card imo. Not saying it'll bomba, but I wonder if people care enough that it's a Mario spinoff to keep it from getting really high sales.

Bebpo said:
Wow, I just noticed that Power Smash 3 (VT3) did less than Heroes of Mana, which reportedly did 10k.

Virtua Tennis selling 5-8k = SEGA BOMBA. Maybe they should've included ONLINE...stupid AM3 @_@
who am I kidding, with online it would've sold 9k instead of 8k. Game needed to be on the DS

360 version has online. Where's that one?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Bebpo said:

People picking it up on the 360 lol?

Pureauthor said:

The Japanese have not abandoned hardcore games. However, they're currently looking for them on the DS (and to a lesser extent the Wii), not the PS3.

oh please, of that list, only fire emblem and sonic would qualify as substantial games. i´m still not buying into collection of minigames.

i´m scared just thinking of a scenario in which wii dominates completely, and next time sony decides to do a wii-esque console... so what happens with FPS, sports, racing, action fans? japanese gamers are acting way weird the last couple of years... so much that capcom is starting to design games first with NA´s market in sight...

but it´s an MC thread, so its filled with ninty fanboys, i´m gonna get killed around here

Saitou

Banned
Bebpo said:

I have the nagging sensation it would have sold more on the 360 :(

I have a feeling Super Paper Mario won't do the numbers NSMB did. Just a feeling. :(
I think SPM will be the game that catapults Wii into DS-like success. It's Mario, it's a platformer, it's on the best selling home console.

NSMB still charts to this day.......... you do the math.

Evlar

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Nah, throughout each MC thread, there's been a post keeping us up to date on FFIII's progression.

I want that post. NAO.
Didn't someone on the second page already state that it had grasped the bitter prize of non-game status? They didn't show any numbers or sources to back it up though.

apujanata

DCharlie said:
erm - Gundam isn't supply constrained... at least not in Tokyo.

This is not a good news. We have sources stating that it is not supply constrained. Then it means that Gundam Musou is having Gundam like legs, not Musou like legs.

Probably out of top 20 (or even Top 30) next week.

Saitou said:
I think SPM will be the game that catapults Wii into DS-like success. It's Mario, it's a platformer, it's on the best selling home console.

NSMB still charts to this day.......... you do the math.

It depends on how Nintendo markets it and if they can tap the same audience - I don't know, with a "normal" 2d Mario they could, but Super Paper Mario's quirks make it a wild card. I am sure it will do reasonably well, but beyond that... its all in Nintendo's hands.

Top Bottom