• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/16 - 4/22

Fuzzy said:
DSL 172,359
Wii 77,913
PSP 29,459
PS2 11,398
PS3 11,000
Xbox360 2,307
GBASP 860
GBM 449
GC 266
DS 81
GBA 55

I win this time Cheesy.

DS is up a lot the week before Golden Week. So for Golden Week, we can expect 200-300k.
100k or more are almost sure for the Wii.

AdmiralViscen stop putting words into my mouth please. Does a game have to be best seller to boost PS3 sales to 20k? If you think so, then well, you are pretty mad. Ninja Gaiden was an XBox game, so in no way could it be successful in Japan (it did sell over million world wide though). It's an amazing action game, one of the best, with amazing graphics as well and competitive play thanks to online rankings, I have no doubt that it will sell more than 100k in Japan alone, and it's surely enough to bump PS3 sales.

Segata, like I already said above, not many Japanese gamers had a chance to play Ninja Gaiden. Not only that, but to me, a big NG fan, changes in NGS are huge. In fact they are huge either way, 3 new chapters will add at least 3 hours of gameplay, there are new boss fights, some of them really amazing (Ryu vs Doku, Rachel vs Doku), new enemies, fighting on water, and new weapons. It's Ninja Gaiden Black 1.7 IMO.

test_account

XP-39C²
Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm sorry, I just don't see how Ninja Gaiden Sigma is going to light any fires. How much new content does it have over Ninja Gaiden Black? I know it's a massive graphics upgrade, but it it's the same game, I wouldn't hope for too much.

Hm.. i dunno, how big was the Xbox in Japan? Afaik it wasnt really that popular and Ninja Gaiden was only out for Xbox at the time so i guess many missed out on it then. Seems that Playstation is more popular so it might boost the sale :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Disappointing BBA sales..hope it picks up and sells consistently. I know its different than its handheld iteration, but it still seems like a decent example of the type of game that should be big in Japan.

AniHawk said:
I was in class a couple hours ago, and one guy said he can't wait for the day Sony buys Nintendo. I just looked at him and said, "you'll be waiting a long time for that one."

"BELIEVE" was the correct answer to that.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Alkaliine said:
Agreed. 15k first day is pretty discouraging but I think this one should have some legs.

discouraging?
You sound dissapointed.

Games like BBA bombing on the Wii is good for our future.

Evlar

Banned
schuelma said:
Disappointing BBA sales..hope it picks up and sells consistently. I know its different than its handheld iteration, but it still seems like a decent example of the type of game that should be big in Japan.
Really should have been online or something. Even a dedicated Wii Channel that allows you to share high scores would have helped.

John Harker said:
discouraging?
You sound dissapointed.

Sarcasm, I hope. BBA looks to be an enjoyable evolution of the DS game & I'd be disappointed if it flopped completely. The more diverse the market, the better and games like BBA deserve a place alongside Dragon Quest Swords, Super Mario Galaxy, No More Heroes etc.

Haleon said:
Is ynos yrros serious? I can't pick up sarcasm on the internet anymore.
Yes, I'm serious. In my opinion, there will be a week in which PS3 sells more than 20 thousand units in Japan. I'm a dreamer, I know.

Xisiqomelir

donny2112 said:
To Sony:
sminigo1.jpeg

"My name is Wiinigo Montoya. You killed my father and my grandfather. Prepare to die."

Changed it up some.

test_account said:
Hm.. i dunno, how big was the Xbox in Japan? Afaik it wasnt really that popular and Ninja Gaiden was only out for Xbox at the time so i guess many missed out on it then. Seems that Playstation is more popular so it might boost the sale :)
Well, I suppose we'll see. I don't dispute the quality of the game, I know NG is top-notch stuff. I just feel as though that as a system-seller, any audience that would be willing to drop $500 on a system to play it probably already dropped $200 to play it before. I'd be surprised if it bumps the PS3 number up more than about 5k.

Minna's going to be a pretty sizeable bump though, I think. The question is, can they sustain sales levels after these bumps? That is what they need to do.

Zeitgeister said:
I can only wonder what games like FFVII [re-release am total] on PSS will do to Japanese PSP and PS3 sales in the (near?) future.
If they're not interested in putting the NES/SNES games on Virtual Console, I doubt their PS1 games end up on the PlayStation Store very soon either. Physical media rereleases seem more likely.
donny2112 said:
See, JoshuaJSlone? Now more people are coming around to my way of thinking. :D
*shakes fist* You win this round, donny!

Gio_CoD

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Yes, I'm serious. In my opinion, there will be a week in which PS3 sells more than 20 thousand units in Japan. I'm a dreamer, I know.
I'm sure there will be many weeks where it sells more than 20k. How exactly does that help Sony at this point though? 80k a month isn't exactly awesome either. It's just better than their current abysmal situation.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Blablurn said:
how much does the ps3 cost in japan?
60Gb is a bit under ¥60000 so we're talking ~$500 brand new, and you can find used ones for as low as ¥49000 which translates to ~$410.

20Gb is even cheaper (amazon.co.jp lists them at ¥50000 -- $420 -- new, and amazon's used get as low as ¥41000 -- under $350), but I don't know if you can actually find them.
Ynos Yrros said:
Probably the week the 360 will sell 20k, just to prevent GAF meltdown :/

(you realize that even if it manages to reach 25 or even 30k for a week, it's still irrelevant unless it manages to maintain and exceed that level for sustained periods of sales aren't you?)

John Harker said:
discouraging?
You sound dissapointed.

BBA is a good game. It's not like some that walking trainer or something; I've had tons of fun with it in multiplayer.

dante786

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
AdmiralViscen stop putting words into my mouth please. Does a game have to be best seller to boost PS3 sales to 20k? If you think so, then well, you are pretty mad. Ninja Gaiden was an XBox game, so in no way could it be successful in Japan (it did sell over million world wide though). It's an amazing action game, one of the best, with amazing graphics as well and competitive play thanks to online rankings, I have no doubt that it will sell more than 100k in Japan alone, and it's surely enough to bump PS3 sales.

Segata, like I already said above, not many Japanese gamers had a chance to play Ninja Gaiden. Not only that, but to me, a big NG fan, changes in NGS are huge. In fact they are huge either way, 3 new chapters will add at least 3 hours of gameplay, there are new boss fights, some of them really amazing (Ryu vs Doku, Rachel vs Doku), new enemies, fighting on water, and new weapons. It's Ninja Gaiden Black 1.7 IMO.

LOL, wrong. If what you say is true, and the game is an unknown to them, why would the japanese audience jump all over this game? They wouldn't, and they won't. I hope it sells great, I love NG, but if games like Gundam and Virtua Fighter haven't lifted the PS3 anywhere, how can you possibly believe NGS is going to make the difference.

You're completely delusional, and a joke, get real buddy.

mabuza

Banned
not surprised bba bombed spectacularly. its the kind of game you play on the handheld. one piece bombed too i see

Filter

Ynos Yrros said:
When, like some of people here said, big games like Mina No Gold, NGS, MGS4, DMC 4, RE5, FFXIII won't boost PS3 sales to 20-30k a week, then we can say that it's too late for SONY in Japan.

There's no doubt in my mind that big games like MGS4 will boost sales for a week, but what the hell is a one week sales spike going to do in the big picture. When your rival is outselling you at a rate of around 7:1 week after week, pulling some kind of petit mal seizure on a sales chart won't even make a dent.

Japan has shown repeatedly that console races aren't some kind of turtle and hare scenario.

Cyan said:
Well of course. Big name games will bump sales for a week or two. This has happened already with Gundam, it's happened to the X360 with Blue Dragon.

Here's the problem: if Nintendo is selling 70k+ every week, it doesn't matter if PS3 gets bumped up to 20k or even 30k. They will just be losing ground a little more slowly for a week or two. Thus, too little too late.

And that's a classic hallmark of a losing console each gen. Consistently low sales with bumps but an immediate decline afterwards. Winning consoles tend to sell alot consistently no matter what, or sell out completely.

mabuza said:
not surprised bba bombed spectacularly. its the kind of game you play on the handheld. one piece bombed too i see

Actually, they only shipped 50k, according to Sinobi, so it is pretty close to selling out.

Aeris130

Hopefully, BBA bombing (so far) will keep any future reiterations of pokeman off the Wii, unless they come up with something new. To be honest, anything else than an RPG/stadium-clone will do nicely. Can't blame them for trying, though.

$$$$$$instant_win != ( $_SESSION['portable'] =="home_console" );

dante786

Banned
Cyan and Filter make good points, and further prove why you MUST be joking Ynos. Incremental bumps that still result in being massively outsold are not a good arguement for Sony's success in Japan.

D.Lo said:
Honestly, I always felt Sony were incredibly lucky.

Man, no. Sony took a completely new tack on library development (focusing on supporting numerous 3rd parties with good developer relations and much lower manufacturing costs), they brought game prices down (they still haven't crawled back up to where they often were in the 16-bit generation), and drastically broadened the older audience that Sega had started to build. Just like Nintendo (the first time), Sony took off thanks to quick, visionary choices by small, mobile teams, and floundered due to thick institutional memory and loss of perspective.

mabuza said:

Dunno about bombed for One Piece (or BBA, but I addressed that upthread), especially as these are rough first-day sales ahead of a major shopping week. What kind of figures have previous One Piece games achieved?

JudgeN

Can you really just completely count out the PS3 in Japan? It is selling better then the 360 and games like Eye of Judgment have the potential to be huge worldwide if done correctly, just think its way to soon to count anything out when it hasn't even been out for a year.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Aeris130 said:
Hopefully, BBA bombing (so far) will keep any future reiterations of pokeman off the Wii, unless they come up with something new. To be honest, anything else than an RPG/stadium-clone will do nicely. Can't blame them for trying, though.

Come again?

JudgeN said:
Can you really just completely count out the PS3 in Japan? It is selling better then the 360 and games like Eye of Judgment have the potential to be huge worldwide if done correctly, just think its way to soon to count anything out when it hasn't even been out for a year.

Yeah, but it's been five months now and consoles races are usually decided in the first 8 months to a year.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
TheGreatDave said:
BBA is a good game. It's not like some that walking trainer or something; I've had tons of fun with it in multiplayer.

I'm not knocking the title or its quality, nor do I really want the game to "bomb," but I think it performing below expectations indicates a lot of things.

First, if Nintendo is marketing this as part of its 'mass market, non-game' portfolio of releases, which I assume it is; and it performs poorly, it speaks to the current userbase of the Wii pretty significantly.

It's different for games like Wii Sports and Wii Play performing amazing - those are unique ways to play simple, understandable concepts like sports games that everyone knows and can be played in a way never played before (plus, its got some kick ass multiplay). Hardcore and core gamers can be just as attracted to this concept as non-gamers.

I'm just saying, maybe this is a small indication that the userbase of the Wii right now is still mainly core gamers (and expanding female), and that the "touch! generation" consumer hasn't yet migrated over to the Wii. This could then force Nintendo to cater more to that market because those are the users that are simply buying software, and we'll get more Zeldas, Mario, Wii Sports titles and less of the Training and Generation line.
You can only have so many developres and so many resouces, and you have to develop software that consumers will buy... at the rate the system is selling, they may be able to lighten up releases in the 'mass game category' because they wont need to try to push units off shelves so hard since its sellin anyway, and release software that the current userbase will eat up (more gamer-oriented and less training software).

Then again, it could just be the nature of the differences between wii and DS in terms of functionality and use.

Aeris130

Roders5 said:
Come again?

Just saying that there should be a limit to how many times the same company can take a given success from a portable console, just to see a less-then-stellar result on the not-so-very-portable version (don't get me wrong though, a profit is a profit).

The Wii needs its own Braintraing, but not necessarily *Braintraing*. I don't see a "DS Sports" announced, to take an example.

mabuza

Banned
how many of you here are still playing your braintraining for the ds. mine's been collecting dust for months now. i shudder to think what dr kawashima will tell me when i finally go back to it:lol

I don't see why 15k in the first day is looked down on since a lot of games don't sell than in a week or even a lifetime. If they sell 15k over seven days then that's 105k for the week.

1M total. It's going to make it. :D

JudgeN

titiklabingapat said:
Yeah, but it's been five months now and consoles races are usually decided in the first 8 months to a year.

Your right and like you said its been 5 months not a year, but I've had a feel Sony feels they don't need to get in first place this generation. If they can pull ahead of Microsoft or sell enough units in 3rd to give Blue-ray good leverage Sony feels they will have done there job. Then they can start fresh with the PS4.

Filter

Aeris130 said:

Suit 1 bursts into office puffing and panting after sprinting up a flight of stairs, he clutches a piece of paper in his hand: "Sir, Big Brain Academy only sold fifteen thousand copies on it's first day!"

A look of pure disbelief crosses Iwatas face as he sits behind his desk in shock, then lightning quick, his brillant mind kicks into high gear, "cancel all the Pokemon projects! for gods sakes man, cancel them now!"

JudgeN said:
Your right and like you said its been 5 months not a year, but I've had a feel Sony feels they don't need to get in first place this generation. If they can pull ahead of Microsoft or sell enough units in 3rd to give Blue-ray good leverage Sony feels they will have done there job. Then they can start fresh with the PS4.
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGDGDSKKKKKKK

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You're right! I have a feeling! Blu-ray! Done their job!

YOUR LAST SENTENCE IS A FRAGMENT. CONSIDER REVISING.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Filter said:
There's no doubt in my mind that big games like MGS4 will boost sales for a week, but what the hell is a one week sales spike going to do in the big picture. When your rival is outselling you at a rate of around 7:1 week after week, pulling some kind of petit mal seizure on a sales chart won't even make a dent.

Japan has shown repeatedly that console races aren't some kind of turtle and hare scenario.
Seriously. They need to go into status epilepticus or something.

/nerd

Wow why are people arguing over this? It baffles the mind that the Wii and DS are dominating on a weekly basis yet people are still minimizing them. To make matters worse, the PS3 spin here is sad.

PS3 11,000

Come on. We've seen two high profile games come out for the PS3 and not make a dent in the hardware sales. YES bigger games will be coming out some day for the PS3 in Japan, but I don't see any indication that the system is going to surpass the Wii.

D.Lo

charlequin said:
Man, no. Sony took a completely new tack on library development (focusing on supporting numerous 3rd parties with good developer relations and much lower manufacturing costs), they brought game prices down (they still haven't crawled back up to where they often were in the 16-bit generation), and drastically broadened the older audience that Sega had started to build. Just like Nintendo (the first time), Sony took off thanks to quick, visionary choices by small, mobile teams, and floundered due to thick institutional memory and loss of perspective.
Very poetic, but not the whole picture. Sony didn't create the market, and there were two previously strong competitors there who both stumbled. Sony did well with the hand they were dealt, but the others screwing up was the only reason they got their foot in the door. And this is the first generation where they've had to deal with competition that didn't screw up.

ylvis_

Banned
mabuza said:

What the heck did you expect One Piece to do?

30k for the first day is pretty good for that title IMO.

Evlar

Banned
Filter said:
Suit 1 bursts into office puffing and panting after sprinting up a flight of stairs, he clutches a piece of paper in his hand: "Sir, Big Brain Academy only sold fifteen thousand copies on it's first day!"

A look of pure disbelief crosses Iwatas face as he sits behind his desk in shock, then lightning quick, his brillant mind kicks into high gear, "cancel all the Pokemon projects! for gods sakes man, cancel them now!"
I'm seriously chuckling out loud. You're going to get me in trouble with my employer.

justchris

Tyrannical said:
Really? Wow. I never checked because I just assumed that a wacky niche JP game did decent in JP because it actually came to the US.

WTF is up with that? We don't even get all the succesfull ones but we get a flop? AND it did decent in the US. Someone must have gone out on a mighty skinny limb when they decied to try it in US markets. I actually expected Wii Cooking Mama to get canned in the US because of poor JP sales. Guess I was wrong on that one.

Cooking Mama DS is on fire in Europe, so much so that it completely sold out at one point. So that's one reason for it. They know with the proper advertising, they can sell it in western markets.

Also, recently, especially with the DS, both Nintendo & Square-Enix have changed their localization policy, where they are localizing a lot more of their projects than they used to. It's only natural for others to follow suit, since those two have had great success marketing niche games across various markets.

Filter said:

Thing is, that with each next great game on the system, it's value raises. Right now, PS3 in Japan has.... 1,2.... maybe 3 great games. Ridge Racer 7, which was killed by the worst launch ever, Virtua Fighter 5, which isn't popular on home consoles since VT2, and Gundam Musou, which isn't a very good game IMO, but it's enough for fans.
Right now, PS3's value is very close to zero as a gaming system in Japan. Why would people buy it? Now with MinGol, NGS and so on so on, the value of PS3 will raise from zero to hero in the day that FFXIII launches. The system will have higher weekly sales than it does now, probably around 30-40k in standard weeks at the beginning of 2008.

Of course thinking that PS3 won't die is blasphemy.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Ynos Yrros said:
Thing is, that with each next great game on the system, it's value raises. Right now, PS3 in Japan has.... 1,2.... maybe 3 great games. Ridge Racer 7, which was killed by the worst launch ever, Virtua Fighter 5, which isn't popular on home consoles since VT2, and Gundam Musou, which isn't a very good game IMO, but it's enough for fans.
Right now, PS3's value is very close to zero as a gaming system in Japan. Why would people buy it? Now with MinGol, NGS and so on so on, the value of PS3 will raise from zero to hero in the day that FFXIII launches. The system will have higher weekly sales than it does now, probably around 30-40k in standard weeks at the beginning of 2008.

Of course thinking that PS3 won't die is blasphemy.

I hope you keep posting in these threads. It's not fun just agreeing with everyone all the time.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
BBA Wii 15k

Not too good apparently, but who knows, it might have decent legs. Maybe not the kind of legs that brought the DS title from 72k first week to 1.5M presently, but probably good enough.

Top Bottom