• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/16 - 4/22

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Ynos Yrros said:
Virtua Fighter 5, which isn't popular on home consoles since VT2

I think VF4 sold more than VF2... not sure though. Even still, it was on a large userbase, but either way, the game's as big as it ever was.

dante786

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Thing is, that with each next great game on the system, it's value raises. Right now, PS3 in Japan has.... 1,2.... maybe 3 great games. Ridge Racer 7, which was killed by the worst launch ever, Virtua Fighter 5, which isn't popular on home consoles since VT2, and Gundam Musou, which isn't a very good game IMO, but it's enough for fans.
Right now, PS3's value is very close to zero as a gaming system in Japan. Why would people buy it? Now with MinGol, NGS and so on so on, the value of PS3 will raise from zero to hero in the day that FFXIII launches. The system will have higher weekly sales than it does now, probably around 30-40k in standard weeks at the beginning of 2008.

Of course thinking that PS3 won't die is blasphemy.

First off, FFXIII is a LONG way off, and by that point Wii will have built up an enormous lead.

Second, its not as if the Wii isn't getting many games that are at LEAST as appealing to the market as the ps3's titles.

Third, no one is saying PS3 is going to die, im certainly not, but its not going to be anywhere near as successful as the Wii in Japan.

levious said:
I think VF4 sold more than VF2... not sure though. Even still, it was on a large userbase, but either way, the game's as big as it ever was.
No, VF2 is best selling VF game, and on PS2 VF was always in shadow of TEKKEN. It still did better than VF5, but it was on a much bigger userbase as well.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Ynos Yrros said:
Thing is, that with each next great game on the system, it's value raises. Right now, PS3 in Japan has.... 1,2.... maybe 3 great games. Ridge Racer 7, which was killed by the worst launch ever, Virtua Fighter 5, which isn't popular on home consoles since VT2, and Gundam Musou, which isn't a very good game IMO, but it's enough for fans.
Right now, PS3's value is very close to zero as a gaming system in Japan. Why would people buy it? Now with MinGol, NGS and so on so on, the value of PS3 will raise from zero to hero in the day that FFXIII launches. The system will have higher weekly sales than it does now, probably around 30-40k in standard weeks at the beginning of 2008.

Going by that logic, shouldn't the PS3 numbers be going up since Gundam Musou and VF5 were released, rather than going down week after week?

Grampasso

Odysseus said:
watch the princess bride

and, for the record, never go in against a sicilian, especially when death is on the line
WATCH?
Please read the book, it's much more ****ing awesome than the movie, William Goldwin is your friend :)

Link

The Autumn Wind
Are you gonna make excuses about DMC4, MGS4, etc. when they don't do anything for sales after the first couple of weeks either?

"DMC hasn't been big since the first one!" "MGS isn't that popular in Japan!"

rkenshin

If Dragon Quest IX was on PS3, it would've pushed more PS3s than FFXIII ever would..

That series is mad popular in the land of the rising sun..

nli10

SONY Support

I'm pretty sure that 11k a week is going to be the new base level for PS3 HW sales. It seems that that many JP consumers want the machine regardless of software in any given week. It may be decreacing week on week but it has decelerated recently. Naturally as mentioned above any notable titles will increace the percieved value of the console, but Sony are blatently positioning themsleves for holiday markets and Blu-Ray penetration. You don't make a console that powerful for the impressive launch sales.

Nintendo Support

15k - for one day sales, of the 'lesser' of the 3 brain training titles, as the first brain training title, on a 'casual' gaming sysem is fantastic. When is the last time that person you know who has a Wii but no other consoles from this or last gen rushed out on day 1 to pick up a title? This title will be judged by it's golden week(s - pretty sure it overlaps the charts) sales. In my book it's an easy half million and the '15k' figure isn't enough for any analyst to use. What did the first Brain Training title for the DS do on day 1?

justchris

Ynos Yrros said:

The problem with your argument is that none of those games are coming out within the next week, or even the next month. The first of them won't be available until June (assuming anyone in Japan even bothers to care about NGS). That means at least 6 weeks of the Wii outselling the PS3 by ~6:1, if not more, before they even get their first bump. The longer the PS3 goes without having anything to show for itself, the more irrelevant it is going to become.

justchris said:
The problem with your argument is that none of those games are coming out within the next week, or even the next month. The first of them won't be available until June (assuming anyone in Japan even bothers to care about NGS). That means at least 6 weeks of the Wii outselling the PS3 by ~6:1, if not more, before they even get their first bump. The longer the PS3 goes without having anything to show for itself, the more irrelevant it is going to become.
Well, you're about system wars, I'm about PS3 will do better than it does now.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Ynos Yrros said:
the value of PS3 will raise from zero to hero in the day that FFXIII launches.
Nope, the system'll be GC'd: either it'll be bought, played and resold, or it will be rented along with FFXIII as long as it takes to finish it, and then given back.
Ynos Yrros said:
The system will have higher weekly sales than it does now, probably around 30-40k in standard weeks at the beginning of 2008.
Keep dreaming.

If the PS3 keeps its downwards slope to irrelevance, it'll very soon dip under 10k, by the time FFXIII hits most if not all publishers will have fleed to greener pastures and FFXIII will simply be the last playable game on the platform, apart from Sony's. Its "Chant du Signe" if you will.

Your behavior is merely a rehash of the former "Wait for VF5" "Wait for Gundam Musou", "Wait for XYZ", except that the game you suggest waiting for are even further removed and even less likely to have any lasting impact on a console that would, when they hit, be in its last throes
Ynos Yrros said:
PS3 will do better than it does now.
Flash news: there's a limit to how dead you can be, there's a limit to how low you can fall. Unless you start digging (which I don't doubt the PS3 will start doing very soon)

Parl

nli10 said:
SONY Support

I'm pretty sure that 11k a week is going to be the new base level for PS3 HW sales. It seems that that many JP consumers want the machine regardless of software in any given week. It may be decreacing week on week but it has decelerated recently. Naturally as mentioned above any notable titles will increace the percieved value of the console, but Sony are blatently positioning themsleves for holiday markets and Blu-Ray penetration. You don't make a console that powerful for the impressive launch sales.

Nintendo Support

15k - for one day sales, of the 'lesser' of the 3 brain training titles, as the first brain training title, on a 'casual' gaming sysem is fantastic. When is the last time that person you know who has a Wii but no other consoles from this or last gen rushed out on day 1 to pick up a title? This title will be judged by it's golden week(s - pretty sure it overlaps the charts) sales. In my book it's an easy half million and the '15k' figure isn't enough for any analyst to use. What did the first Brain Training title for the DS do on day 1?

About 15k, I think. But this is different.

Ynos Yrros said:
Which matters in a vacuum.

Will the PS3 pick up from its current low standard? Maybe. Will it ever again have as high a percentage of the lifetime PS3/Wii Japanese market as it does this week, 28.1%? Probably not.

felipeko

Parl said:
About 15k, I think. But this is different.
I don't think it's too different...
First day sales doesn't mean nothing on a game that is meant to sell with word of mouth...
Of course may the game bomb.. But it's way to soon to call that.

Wiitard

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:

It's absolute value as a gaming sistem will rise. It's RELATIVE (to Wii) value will keep falling.

felipeko said:
First day sales doesn't mean nothing on a game that is meant to sell with word of mouth...

It's a famous game. People were aware of it to an infinitely larger extent. It's a bomba.

Diablos54

What Ynos Yrros doesn't seem to realise, even if the PS3 started to tripple its current sales, it'll still be behind the Wii, a system which still cannot be found.

BBA's not really a bomb considering what kinda of game it is. I expect it to pick up soon and it should have pretty decent legs. And SPM's going to kill on Golden Week. :D

felipeko

Wiitard said:
It's a famous game. People were aware of it to an infinitely larger extent. It's a bomba.
Big Brain its not that famous...
But anyway, many people here are saying "maybe this game doesn't fit consoles"... Most japanese "non-gamers" (the one that would buy it) or doesn't know about the game, or are thinking the same.. But only 15k people can tell you ATM if it does fits or not, if it fits it will have legs, if doesn't it will bomb.. And you can't see legs in 1st day sales.

test_account

XP-39C²
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, I suppose we'll see. I don't dispute the quality of the game, I know NG is top-notch stuff. I just feel as though that as a system-seller, any audience that would be willing to drop $500 on a system to play it probably already dropped $200 to play it before. I'd be surprised if it bumps the PS3 number up more than about 5k.

Minna's going to be a pretty sizeable bump though, I think. The question is, can they sustain sales levels after these bumps? That is what they need to do.

I agree to that. I dont think it will be a game that sells like hundres of thousands of consoles alone (atleast not at the current price), but i'm sure we'll see some boost. Sony need all the boost they can get :)

birdchili

PantherLotus said:
What should Sony do?

well... they're going to release a new controller, which will presumably be the new standard ps3 controller... they need to make it all sorts of awesome... sadly, i'm not sure they can introduce new input functionality at this point unless they want to give some sort of free trade in to early adopters.

they need to release an intuitive jrpg constuction set with powerful 2d and 3d tools that allows psn-based project collaboration and user shared assets and games.

create some AAA games and market them to SD tv owners... use the system power for things that'll get noticed on a crappy tv.

home needs to be magic. i haven't seen anything that convinces me it will be, but i'm not so big on the social networking thing - it's (facebook) so monsterously huge amongst a demographic that owns consoles.

make certain that ff:xiii is exclusive, and that it's the flagship product for the xiii line indefinitely.

keep the ps2 alive and milk it for as long as you can.

ummm yeah... wouldn't really want to be the folk who have to make a play with the hand the ps3 is currently holding.

The Princess Bride is awesome in book or movie form. <3

Oh, right, uhhh, console wars.. Errr...

I'm sure BBA will have very nice legs. I don't think that people would line up day one for the title. Was there any advertising for it?

CorwinB

test_account said:
Hm.. i dunno, how big was the Xbox in Japan?

About as big as in other territories, but the average smaller size of Japanese living rooms made it seem a lot larger, which was used as an explanation for its awful performance. The PS3 seems to confirm this explanation, though.

Wiitard said:

I thought Brain Age was the popular one, not Big Brain Academy.

I think there's just too many games with "brain" in the title, and too few of them have zombies.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Ynos Yrros said:

Ynos Yrros said:
I wonder what will you say when PS3 outsells everything else when Hot Shots Golf 5, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, MGS4, FFXIII and GT Prologue come. Buying PS3 now is like buying plates when there's no food in the world.

I reckon you could plot a chart detailing your expectations lowering at a rapid rate with this stuff.

Wiitard

Banned
felipeko said:
Big Brain its not that famous...
But anyway, many people here are saying "maybe this game doesn't fit consoles"... Most japanese "non-gamers" (the one that would buy it) or doesn't know about the game, or are thinking the same.. But only 15k people can tell you ATM if it does fits or not, if it fits it will have legs, if doesn't it will bomb.. And you can't see legs in 1st day sales.

It's a Brain training game from Nintendo. This makes it famous. It is certainly infinitely more famous then Brain Training was when they released it.

Does the 15k mean there is no it sells 200k or maybe even 300k in Japan. Maybe not. Does it rule out any chance of having a comparable level of success to DS Brain Traing? Yes, it does.

Parl

felipeko said:

I'd say that the popularity of BT on DS before it came out compared to its popularity overall, is a smaller proportion than BBA on Wii.

Evlar

Banned
Wiitard said:
It's a Brain training game from Nintendo. This makes it famous. It is certainly infinitely more famous then Brain Training was when they released it.

Does the 15k mean there is no it sells 200k or maybe even 300k in Japan. Maybe not. Does it rule out any chance of having a comparable level of success to DS Brain Traing? Yes, it does.
I don't expect BBA to do that well over its lifetime, but I don't see how Day 1 sales rules out anything. It's simply not the type of game that drives people to line up on release day. The market for this game and the other training-type titles don't do that.

felipeko

Wiitard said:

Lol. It's hard to compare any game with Brain Training level of sucess.
15k on first doesn't mean anything, really.
Wait for week numbers..

Parl said:
I'd say that the popularity of BT on DS before it came out compared to its popularity overall, is a smaller proportion than BBA on Wii.
Yeah, i agree with that. But Wii userbase is still so small compared to DS one.. And non-gamers don't line up to buy the game first day, do they?!

stewacide

Jammy said:
Cooking Mama has done really well in the U.S. and not so well in Japan. But, it is a budget game, and it's pretty much Majesco's most popular game now to boot.

If it really was a budget game (like $35 Canadian or less) I'd pick it up. As is it's only $5 less than 'regular' Wii games, and that's only with a $5 instant rebate (looking at Future Shop). Pass.

Miniboss1232 said:
I thought Brain Age was the popular one, not Big Brain Academy.
It's all relative. Big Brain Academy was a million seller, and much more successful than most games. However, I think both of the proper Brain Age titles have sold 2-3 (more?) times as well.

Ynos Yrros said:
Yes, I'm serious. In my opinion, there will be a week in which PS3 sells more than 20 thousand units in Japan.
somedalcopyem7.jpg

gcfan2k5

PantherLotus said:
To be fair, Nintendo never had a world-wide Television business, nor a very successful movie division -- or a music division. In fact, it was no where remotely close to being a worldwide media conglomerate that Sony is.

I mean, we can all joke about Sony and everything, but they are much, much bigger than the Playstation brand. They've weathered much more troublesome storms than this before. Funnily enough, they were format wars too.

Weird.

Sony is also over 60 billion in debt, and has little to no cash reserves left, its market cap is at 60bln and falling.... Sony is done, they cant dig themselves out of debt with every division taking huge losses.

Thoren

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
What were you expecting from a system with not a single new game launched since 2 or more weeks, and only like 10 games launched this year?

I wonder what will you say when PS3 outsells everything else when Hot Shots Golf 5, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, MGS4, FFXIII and GT Prologue come. Buying PS3 now is like buying plates when there's no food in the world.

:lol I'll stick with my 360 Buffet for now then.

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's all relative. Big Brain Academy was a million seller, and much more successful than most games. However, I think both of the proper Brain Age titles have sold 2-3 (more?) times as well.

Okay, I wasn't actually sure since I haven't kept up on them too well. Though, I suppose there's actually three different "brain" series. Insanity.

But yes, I'm not sure if 15k first day sales is that big of a deal. Panic next week (Golden Week) if it doesn't do a bit better. And even then, the Wii userbase and demographic may just not be there yet. If it flops, it flops, but I don't think that should be really indicative of things to come.

Evlar

Banned
gcfan2k5 said:
Sony is also over 60 billion in debt, and has little to no cash reserves left, its market cap is at 60bln and falling.... Sony is done, they cant dig themselves out of debt with every division taking huge losses.
Several of their divisions are quite profitable right now, particularly their display division.

Great sales this week.

2 situations to look forward left, that will cause a meltdown. :)

Also, could anyone re-post the sales of Naruto Accel and Naruto GNT EX?

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
gcfan2k5 said:
Actually, as opposed to a few years ago (when the game division was pretty much the only one to sustain the company) most of Sony's division make a profit, and the display division makes a killer right now.

Sony's fate doesn't rely in the PS3.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Rush job, very busy today, I might have made an error or two...

FFXII RW 180k (450k shipment)
Momotaro Densetsu DS 20k
BBA Wii 15k
One Piece 30k
Wow, RW did what some predicted the first week would be. I wonder if OP will pick up and what the shipment is.

gcfan2k5

Masklinn said:
Actually, as opposed to a few years ago (when the game division was pretty much the only one to sustain the company) most of Sony's division make a profit, and the display division makes a killer right now.

Sony's fate doesn't rely in the PS3.

If the game division losses are greater than the other division profits, sony will die because of ps3, they are too far in debt and have nothing in the bank. Meanwhile nintendo at current pace (its worth 53.34bln today, up from 44.3bln 17 days ago, and up 1.28bln from 2 days ago) will be worth more than sony (around 64bln) in less than 2 weeks, and will be worth 100bln or more a year from now, if nothing changes. Theoretically if nintendo keeps growing at the pace it has been, and microsoft stays around the same as it has done for the last 2 or 3 years, nintendo could be worth more than microsoft within the decade. (if nintendo keeps doubling its market cap year over year (and it has, for the last few) Itll be worth 100bln next april, 200bln the april after that, and 400bln the april after that, theoretically at current pace nintendo will be worth more than microsoft in 3 years. Google is seeing similar trends, it was practically worthless 3 years ago, and now they are worth 150bln dollars.

Parl

First days sales of 180k out of 450k shipment? I said "wow". Seems like third party games do sell on Nintendo systems. *slaps self* No they do not!

I'm really disppointed with BBA sales though. I suppose the type who bought Wii Sports and Wii Play, who make up most of the Japanese Wii market, aren't into playing Brain games.
Non-games have sub-genres!

Evlar

Banned
Ngeist said:
Will it sell out ? It seems low to me, considering the shipment.
I don't think it will this week. I guessed 360k before the first-day numbers were released and I think that's still about right. Who knows though, holiday weeks are screwy.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think its a bit early to condemn BBA. Let's see how it hold up throughout the next week or so. It may have legs.

Top Bottom