• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/16 - 4/22

Evlar

Banned
marvelharvey said:
Looks like the only way PS3 will win in Japan is if the definition of 'win' is changed.
Highest sales expressed in tons shipped. Or cubic meters.

EDIT: dur dur

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
marvelharvey said:
Looks like the only way PS3 will win in Japan is if the definition of 'win' is changed.
Well I'm sure we'll see people claiming that PS3 won the "true" next-generation race soon enough.

Fuzzy said:
You lack the charisma of Bill Clinton.

howard_dean_crazy.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
AniHawk said:
She agreed with him, actually. Especially with how the PS3 will become the #1 seller once the games start hitting. Oh and with BluRay.
Tell her I hate her.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
AniHawk said:
I was in class a couple hours ago, and one guy said he can't wait for the day Sony buys Nintendo. I just looked at him and said, "you'll be waiting a long time for that one."
Well, they will probably have to buy Nintendo consoles at least in order to play their favorite japanese games soon...

CAPCOWNED

Banned
jj984jj said:
Hopefully LO is FF enough for them to Jump In™.

Blue Dragon Quest didn't help so I doubt Final Odyssey will. Hope I'm wrong though since MS's wallet is the last thing that can save real games made in Japan at this point.

Zynx

donny2112 said:
R-E-V-E-N-U-E

[/heian-kyo]
If this keeps going even metrics like those won't work anymore. Need to start measuring by the total number of included multicore chips sold...or something.

justchris

donny2112 said:
R-E-V-E-N-U-E

[/heian-kyo]

11k x $600 = $660k
77k x $210 = $16,170k

So no, Sony isn't even winning in revenue yet. Not sure what the weight is of a PS3 as compared to a Wii, so maybe they're winning the mass shipped war.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
justchris said:
11k x $600 = $660k
77k x $210 = $16,170k

So no, Sony isn't even winning in revenue yet. Not sure what the weight is of a PS3 as compared to a Wii, so maybe they're winning the mass shipped war.
I thought ps3 was a lot cheaper in japan?

mj1108

AniHawk said:
Well this one girl was talking about work, which led to a small discussion about Guitar Hero (since she works at a game store). Then he sorta blurted that out.

You should have busted out the Media Create and NPD numbers. Chicks think it's hot.

Fuzzy said:
DSL 172,359
Wii 77,913
PSP 29,459
PS2 11,398
PS3 11,000
Xbox360 2,307
GBASP 860
GBM 449
GC 266
DS 81
GBA 55

I win this time Cheesy.

The race to 10k is heating up!

fanduck

justchris said:
11k x $600 = $660k
77k x $210 = $16,170k

That's not even taking into consideration profit. I don't even want to know what that looks like...

Couldn't find the exact figures, but:

PS3: ~11lbs X 11,000 = 121,000 lbs
Wii: ~ 4 lbs X 77,000 = 308,000 lbs

That ship sailed a long time ago :lol :lol

Thoren

Banned
CAPCOWNED said:
Blue Dragon Quest didn't help so I doubt Final Odyssey will. Hope I'm wrong though since MS's wallet is the last thing that can save real games made in Japan at this point.

LO is bigger though, plus it has a famous Manga Artist Takehiko Inoue doing character design. Lets just say a manga of his alone made basketball popular in Japan and sold hundreds of millions of copies.

The game has jumped to 12th place in the Famitsu top 20 and has been the most anticipated new IP for the magazine for a long, long time.

If it really isnt marketed well and ends up failing in Japan like most Microsoft related games, I think it will be strong enough to sell better than Blue Dragon will in NA and Europe.

angelfly

fanduck said:
That's not even taking into consideration profit. I don't even want to know what that looks like...

Considering that Sony loses money on each system you can easily figure out what their profit is.

Thoren said:
LO is bigger though, plus it has a famous Manga Artist Takehiko Inoue doing character design. Lets just say a manga of his alone made basketball popular in Japan and sold hundreds of millions of copies.

The game has jumped to 12th place in the Famitsu top 20 and has been the most anticipated new IP for the magazine for a long, long time.

If it really isnt marketed well and ends up failing in Japan like most Microsoft related games, I think it will be strong enough to sell better than Blue Dragon will in NA and Europe.

Inoue does what Toriyama don't?

Evlar

Banned
Nazgul_Hunter said:
Couldn't find the exact figures, but:

PS3: ~11lbs X 11,000 = 121,000 lbs
Wii: ~ 4 lbs X 77,000 = 308,000 lbs

That ship sailed a long time ago :lol :lol
Oh ho! But you didn't check LTD total weight! PS3 has sold about 330 more tons than the Wii by my calculations! Granted, the Wii is catching up, but there's still a lot of heavy lifting to do before it's the pound-for-pound champ.

I can't believe it's come to this. Even the idea of losing FFXIII seems totally plausible at this point. This is miles beyond Nintendo's failure with the N64.

Mar

Smiles and Cries said:
its sad when people have to look for ways the PS3 can win and still can't find one :(

I think we can safely say it's winning the format war.

And after all, that's what Sony wants in the end, right?

Wii comparisons: At 21 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 83.3 weeks (April 14, 2003), DS was at 21.0 weeks (April 23, 2005), where PS2 was at 18.9 weeks (July 8, 2000), and where PSP was at 51.3 weeks (November 29, 2005).

PS3 comparisons: At 24 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 2.9 weeks (March 18, 2000), where PSP was at 10.1 weeks (February 13, 2005), where GCN was at 15.4 weeks (December 25, 2001), and where Wii was at 4.3 weeks (December 25, 2006).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares were 12.4 / 87.7, Wii besting last week's percentage of 86.4 but still slightly below launch week's 91.8. LTD shares are now 28.1 / 71.9. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this rate, it would catch up in 119.9 weeks (August 8, 2009). If "the flip" occurred, the systems would meet up in 19.7 weeks (September 6, 2007).
(Now Wii has done 600% more than PS3.)

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, PS2 and DS totals meet in 25.5 weeks (October 17, 2007) at 20.7 million units apiece.

angelfly said:
Up but still really low.
? PS3 is down nearly 1000.
Chumly said:
Does anyone have old Media Create and Famitsu data in chart form like vgchartz does?
Try this?

Duke Togo

miguel_c_hammer said:
I can't believe it's come to this. Even the idea of losing FFXIII seems totally plausible at this point. This is miles beyond Nintendo's failure with the N64.
Is this Y2K all over again, in your mind?

Mar_ said:
I think we can safely say it's winning the format war.

And after all, that's what Sony wants in the end, right?

At least until we all get Fibre Optic internet at 800MB/s and digital distribution takes over entirely. You're Australian, so you know about how the Labour party plan to spend up big and lay a Fibre Optic network accross Australia if they win the election late this year. If AUSTRALIA looks like getting it, then it can't be that far off for developed countries worldwide.

I really think Sony is being rather shortsighted with the whole Blu-ray trojan thing. It's a pretty pointless format, because digital distribution is going to take over entirely in the next 5-10 years. This has been discussed to death, but when DVD came out everyone got excited because in addition to better picture and sound quality (over VHS) you could also skip scenes, view special features, have subtitles + different language tracks, and they didn't degrade over time.

These new disc formats just offer the same but better which is not going to make it the new standard. Instead it's going to become a niche item favoured by HD nuts.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
AniHawk said:
I was in class a couple hours ago, and one guy said he can't wait for the day Sony buys Nintendo. I just looked at him and.... and then I popped him in the face!
Fixed it for you.

Top Bottom