• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/2 - 4/8

mclem

aeolist said:
At 100,000 a week during one of the slower times of the year? There's no way they're not breaking 20 million this year.
Bear in mind it's still doing that weird alternatey high week/lower week thing. Although looking at the most recent ones, it looks like that that's averaging 95k a week, so chances are still extremely promising.

I love that the Wii is winning Japan. It's my only next gen system as of now and probably for quite some time and I love Japanese Games!!! If this trend continues prepare for a healthy dose of JRPGs. Nintendo hasn't had that on a home console since the SNES.

Mrbob

moku said:
Well, I honestly am speechless. I never thought I would see the PS3 dip this low.

Game developers with PS3 games in the pipeline, HAVE to be shitting themselves. A ton of money has been poured into certain projects, and the future outlook on possible returns for those investments, if they stay PS3 specific, have to be downright terrifying.

How do you recoupe the cost's, on a system that has sunk to 14k per week in the homeland?

Good grief.

Homeland?

PS2 sold 38 million and USA and growing, about 35 million in Europe, and only around 20 million in Japan. Sony may still have a homebase in Japan, but they are an international company and PS3 downfall in USA and Europe would be much more hurtful than Japan. Which is the lowest Sony fanbase.

Zerostatic said:
I love that the Wii is winning Japan. It's my only next gen system as of now and probably for quite some time and I love Japanese Games!!! If this trend continues prepare for a healthy dose of JRPGs. Nintendo hasn't had that on a home console since the SNES.

Some old fashioned, PS2 level graphic rpgs. Great characters, great stories. Wii can repair the damage to the rpg genre

aeolist said:
At 100,000 a week during one of the slower times of the year? There's no way they're not breaking 20 million this year.

Sure there is: if their manufacturing fails to make enough. Otherwise... yeah. They'll sell everything they ship.

gamergirly said:
Some old fashioned, PS2 level graphic rpgs. Great characters, great stories. Wii can repair the damage to the rpg genre

I'm sure they will show up eventually... there's virtually no way they won't, not with this kind of success.

KINGMOKU

Mrbob said:
Homeland?

PS2 sold 38 million and USA and growing, about 35 million in Europe, and only around 20 million in Japan. Sony may still have a homebase in Japan, but they are an international company and PS3 downfall in USA and Europe would be much more hurtful than Japan. Which is the lowest Sony fanbase.
Well, I was referring more to game developers that reside in Japan. and Sony's home territory.

I dont want to get into the other numbers, in a MC thread.

AniHawk

So I guess that pretty much confirms MGS4 on 360. SE's gotta be seriously replanning FFXIII as well. We're talking Gamecube levels of disaster for a system that has a shitload of big title support.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
moku said:
Well, I honestly am speechless. I never thought I would see the PS3 dip this low.

Game developers with PS3 games in the pipeline, HAVE to be shitting themselves. A ton of money has been poured into certain projects, and the future outlook on possible returns for those investments, if they stay PS3 specific, have to be downright terrifying.

How do you recoupe the cost's, on a system that has sunk to 14k per week in the homeland?

Good grief.

THey better give the Wii a look if they haven't already.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:
So I guess that pretty much confirms MGS4 on 360. SE's gotta be seriously replanning FFXIII as well. We're talking Gamecube levels of disaster for a system that has a shitload of big title support.

Is Anihawk about to jump on the moku "FFXIII to Wii train"??? :lol :lol

schuelma

Xisiqomelir said:
I thought the moku train was FFXIV. XIII is bold.

I thought moku said he thought they would move XIII over to Wii. Maybe I'm wrong though.

There's very little chance FFXIII will come to Wii. That game was designed to be a highly cinematic experience and something wii couldn't effectively manage.

Now, FFXIV on the other hand, is a better chance because (like DQ9) they can change their direction for the series before development starts, rather than during development like some of you guys are suggesting with FFXIII.

Good grief at the PS3...

All Sony products went down this week...all Nintendo products went up this week...

DS is 4 mill away from the PS2 LTD
Wii is already halfway into GC's LTD
PS3 didn't even hit a million LTD yet...

I don't even think FF13/MGS4 can pull the PS3 out of this hole. Nintendo not only bought Japan, they're beginning to fortify it.

Krowley

AniHawk said:

It's Even worse, because ps3 games cost so much to make.

The only way it can work is if the ps3 sells a shitload of consoles. You can't make trillion dollar games for such a small userbase...

Even if the ps3 catches on eventually, that will do nothing to help the titles that are scheduled to release in the near future. I could see titles being delayed to allow the userbase to grow.... And that will only hurt things more.

It's just an amazing black hole of despair for sony.

schuelma

Alkaliine said:
There's very little chance FFXIII will come to Wii. That game was designed to be a highly cinematic experience and something wii couldn't effectively manage.

Now, FFXIV on the other hand, is a better chance because (like DQ9) they can change their direction for the series before development starts, rather than during development like some of you guys are suggesting with FFXIII.

I agree. What I do think is plausible (as others have suggested) is that a Wii specific FFXIII spinoff (assuming there is one) is changed to be a headline title on par with FFXIII itself.

schuelma

What I don't understand about Sony is how they managed to have a bunch of Western sports games coming out during the Easter period while Nintendo is sending in some pretty heavy hitters. Was it arrogance? Stupidity? It just amazes me that they are sending MADDEN to do battle with Mario and BBA.

Krowley

moku said:
It will be filling up fast, so while theres room...

ALL ABOARD!!!

Hehe...

I wasn't really skeptical before because the writing is on the wall.... but i'm definitly on the train now and it's taking me to scary places :lol

legend166

When's Mario Party 8 coming? I didn't see it on the list. If I remember correctly, the GCN versions sold very well, over 500 000? I can see MP8 getting huge sales.

legend166 said:
When's Mario Party 8 coming? I didn't see it on the list. If I remember correctly, the GCN versions sold very well, over 500 000? I can see MP8 getting huge sales.

I'm pretty sure MP4 was the second highest selling game in Japan for Gamecube.

schuelma said:
I agree. What I do think is plausible (as others have suggested) is that a Wii specific FFXIII spinoff (assuming there is one) is changed to be a headline title on par with FFXIII itself.
I think Square has to be making a FFXIII Wii title, if they hadn't originally planned to do so. Unlike Konami with MGS, where a quick 360 port will recoup more of the development costs (due to territories outside of Japan, of course), Square is in a situation where putting more support behind the Wii is just about the only way to go at this point, if they have financial concerns with the PS3 install base. A port of the main game? I'm inclined to say "no", but then I remember the DQ9 thread, and what a gloriously shocking day that was...

Cheese & Vinnk, thanks for the hard work, as always.

This Week Sales:

mc-sales-070402.jpg

Since 11/27/07:
19 Total Weeks of Next Gen sales.
13 Total Weeks of post-holiday sales.

360 - Following the trend: 2-4k. Next Gen Avg = 9,087. Post Holiday Avg = 4,903.
Wii - Newer trend: 50-70k. Next Gen Avg = 106,016. Post Holiday Avg = 69,179.
PS3 - Newer trend: 14-22k. Next Gen Avg = 43,468. Post Holiday Avg = 22,954.

mc-weekly-19.jpg

mc-LTDs-19.jpg

Results, Analysis, & Expectations
● The 360's sales are insignificant. They will not hit 1 million units before its successor is announced. A week on week perspective (upper graph) actually shows a CONTINUED slide to oblivion. 2k-5k per week for the foreseeable future.

● PS3. Oh god. Seriously. Not good. Not good at all. 20k per week is one thing...14k is quite another. Nothing short of an immediate and severe price drop in combination with an immediate release of FFXIII could change this at this point. This is bad. 10-23k for the next 6 weeks, with a possible +5-10k bump for the holidays.

● Definite trend for the Wii - mid 50's to mid 70's. The Wii is clearly dependent upon hardware shipments, and it appears that units are being held back for a possible holiday-week blitz. 55-75k for the next several weeks, with a possible +15-30k bump for the holidays. 100k week would not be out of the question.

Expectations for 04/09-04/15
360 - 3k*
Wii - 58k << overestimated last week by 14k.
PS3 - 16k*

* = within 5k estimation success the previous week!

This Week's Market Share:

mc-marketshare-070402.jpg

Market Share Week-to-Week

Code:
Date____               360             Wii             PS3
11/27-12/03:            25%             49%             26%
12/04-12/10:            24%             49%             27%
12/11-12/17:            21%             50%             29%
12/18-12/24:            17%             57%             26%
12/25-12/31:            16%             56%             28%
01/01-01/07:            15%             58%             27%
01/08-01/14:            14%             59%             27%
01/15-01/21:            14%             60%             26%
01/22-01/28:            13%             60%             26%
01/29-02/04:            13%             61%             26%
02/05-02/11:            13%             61%             26%
02/12-02/18:            13%             62%             26%
02/19-02/25:            12%             62%             25%
03/26-03/04:            12%             62%             26%
03/05-03/11:            12%             62%             26%
03/12-03/18:            11%             62%             26%
03/19-03/25:            11%             63%             26%
03/26-04/01:            11%             63%             26%
04/02-04/08:            11%             63%             26%

Significant Notes:
&#9679; The Wii has had a 1 million unit lead on the PS3 for 6 weeks. (currently 1,188,400 lead)
&#9679; The PS3 just had its worst week ever at 14.5k units (previous worst 18.7k).
&#9679; The Wii sold 3.62x the PS3 this week, and has 2.44x LTD.
&#9679; The Wii JUST BROKE 2 MILLION UNITS (in 19 weeks).
&#9679; The PS3 is at least two months from breaking 1 million. Possibly 3.
&#9679; The PS3 has never. once. outsold. the Wii.

If sales repeated this week's results indefinitely, barring all other factors:
&#9679; The Wii will have a 2 million unit lead by September. Seriously.
&#9679; The Wii will have a 3 million unit lead by March 2008.

Additional thoughts
1. This was the slowest console week in Japan this year. (70k units total)
2. If you're developing for the PS3, you're going multi-platform. If not, Sony is paying you the difference.
3. I have officially moved up my "the PS3 has until this date to figure-it-the-****-out" to January 2008. And it won't.
4. Nintendo just won next-gen. Seriously. Reread this statement and go melt down your N64 and your GC for the failures that they really were.
5. The PS3 is THIS close ] [ to 360-levels of Japanese irrelevance. Is that sinking in, boys?

Grecco

4. Nintendo just won next-gen. Seriously. Reread this statement and go melt down your N64 and your GC for the failures that they really were.

Still to early

Wait for Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

Finn

&#9679; The PS3 is at least two months from breaking 1 million. Possibly 3.
This is all kinds of nuts. Wii hits two million, PS3 hasn't even broken one. That has to be worrying Sony. It tickles me, though. :lol

Scum

Cheesemeister said:
Don't thank me.
Oh? That's a shame. I was looking for an excuse to use this...

3zb8bow.gif

Maybe I should save it for Vinnk, for when he gets back from behind that curtain... :lol

i really wanna know what's going on at Namco, Capcom, and Konami when they see numbers like these.

how much resources could have been shifted to Wii development by now?

Mar

Cheesemeister said:
4. Nintendo just won next-gen.

I still say it's too early for that. Although there aren't many more nails to go in the systems coffin.

It's still selling waaaay ahead of the 360, and the Japanese will want a visually powerful next-gen console for some franchises.

Mar_ said:
I still say it's too early for that. Although there aren't many more nails to go in the systems coffin.

It's still selling waaaay ahead of the 360, and the Japanese will want a visually powerful next-gen console for some franchises.

Buy PS3. Buy FFXIII.

Complete game. Sell it and system back to store.

So much for 'visually powerful next-gen franchises'.

AniHawk

Mar_ said:

Really? You think so? Because right now it's sorta like watching the Gamecube outsell the Xbox five years ago.

I think we're jumping the gun here. There's going to be people who like that "immersion" feeling with HD next gen graphics that only PS3 can provide, and those people WILL buy the PS3, just like there were people who bought a Gamecube last gen just to play Nintendo exclusives.

schuelma

hydragonwarrior said:
I think we're jumping the gun here. There's going to be people who like that "immersion" feeling with HD next gen graphics that only PS3 can provide, and those people WILL buy the PS3, just like there were people who bought a Gamecube last gen just to play Nintendo exclusives.

The differences in graphics are already there; the top new gen game is Wii Sports where the character lack arms. Seems to me that Japan has already kind of decided.

And re: your GC comparison- well, I'd say if the PS3 ends up like the GC in Japan that does equal a spectacular failure.

hydragonwarrior said:

I think most of those people bought their PS3s already.

Mar

AniHawk said:
Really? You think so? Because right now it's sorta like watching the Gamecube outsell the Xbox five years ago.

Maybe I'm just being selfish. Because I just want Silent Hill 5. I will buy what ever system is the lead platform for this game, even if no other games come out for the system and it's pronounced dead the next day. Whatever happens, these facts remain:

1. I don't want SH5 on the Wii.
2. I can't imagine SH5 being 360 only.
3. I can imagine it being multi platform.
4. PS3 would most certainly be the lead platform.
5. The PS3 version will sell much better than the 360 version in Japan.

While the Silent Hill series isn't a big seller. I feel that my example is similar to many people's feelings on their favourite 'tech boundary' pushing game. And seeing that the 360 in Japan is more than just a dead system. I still find it hard to dismiss PS3 as being the same when it's selling significantly more, and my reasons above requiring a need for such a system to exist. Which as I've already said, is perhaps a selfish need. But one that I think is valid all the same.

linsivvi

mclem said:
Bear in mind it's still doing that weird alternatey high week/lower week thing. Although looking at the most recent ones, it looks like that that's averaging 95k a week, so chances are still extremely promising.

Let's do some maths. YTD for DS is over 2M already and not even 4 months has passed. Not even factoring in the December boom, they'll at least get 4M for the next 8 months. So 20M is pretty much a lock.

Now, the real question is, will it pass PS2 LTD this year? At this rate PS2 will be very close to 21M by the end of the year.

Top Bottom