• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/2 - 4/8

andthebeatgoeson

Agent Icebeezy said:
Showing all of these trends is why I :lol @ all of these people saying wait for ___________ game. I honestly believe this is a done deal. Remember that they shipped 1 million to Japan at the beginning of January and they are nowhere near close to selling that amount.
Yeah, I think I crossed the line that you can call Japan. I just don't see how Sony can perform so poorly for 14 months (nothing big til 08? seriously?) and turn it around significantly. I worry by September, Nintendo can roll out the 'Battle for 2nd place' powerpoint. Funny how that turns out. Pride before the fall and all that.

johnsmith

remember me
anchor2wd5.jpg

Ruas

Banned
dont know if this has been answered already in this thread.but are the chances good that DQ10 will be on wii?or is it more of a wait and see thing.

schuelma said:
DQ:Swords says hi!
Hot Shots Golf will still sell well, regardless of DQS. Will PS3 rise from it's slumber because of one game? I don't think so but it'll still sell some hardware. I guess the effect will be a bit higher than the Gundabump.

CoolTrick said:
Yup, we should add that link to the first post too and make sure to include his profile.
You have one irritating agenda.

hydragonwarrior said:
I think we're jumping the gun here. There's going to be people who like that "immersion" feeling with HD next gen graphics that only PS3 can provide, and those people WILL buy the PS3, just like there were people who bought a Gamecube last gen just to play Nintendo exclusives.
That's true, I see the PS3 in almost the same vein as the PSP. It'll find it's niche (albeit a smaller one). But then again we are talking GC level of "success" here.

Ruas said:
dont know if this has been answered already in this thread.but are the chances good that DQ10 will be on wii?or is it more of a wait and see thing.
looks like it's gonna be either Wii or DS at this point.

Krowley

When the DS started to dominate, everybody said that it would have no bearing on the wii's success or failure.. The theory was that consoles and handhelds were two seperate markets and one wouldn't effect the other... I think that was sound logic at the time, but nintendo have changed the rules..

By making a console that mirrors the unique philosophy behind the DS, they've finally been able to leverage their handheld dominance and use it to help them in the console market. DS owners know that the wii is the same kind of product and they want it.

AniHawk

imastalker co. said:
looks like it's gonna be either Wii or DS at this point.

I'm afraid that it'll be on the DS. I want VA, DQ8 level graphics or better, better online, and all that jazz, but it'd cost more for Wii than DS.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I think they'll wait to decide when they see how DQIX sells, rather than announce what platform the next one will be on. That would be the best way to decide if DQX is a Wii or DS title.

mabuza

Banned
vanguardian1 said:
I think they'll wait to decide when they see how DQIX sells, rather than announce what platform the next one will be on. That would be the best way to decide if DQX is a Wii or DS title.
i think we all know its definetely not going to be on the ps3. but please dont put it on the ds. looking at dqviii i see no reason why the wii cant improve on viiis graphics

mj1108

vanguardian1 said:

The most popular RPG series in Japan on the hottest system since god-knows-what.... yeah I think it *might* break 50k, but that's just a guess. [/sarcasm]

cvxfreak

mj1108 said:
The most popular RPG series in Japan on the hottest system since god-knows-what.... yeah I think it *might* break 50k, but that's just a guess. [/sarcasm]

Welcome to last September.

Taurus

vanguardian1 said:
Just like mj1108 said, I don't think it'll sell well. All the things needed for a huge failure are there:

-small user-base
-uncool hw
-unpopular game series
-the fact that DQ is an un-non-game which we all know won't do well
-also the fact that Nintendo platform + 3rd party game = 100% failure

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Phife Dawg said:
That's true, I see the PS3 in almost the same vein as the PSP. It'll find it's niche (albeit a smaller one). But then again we are talking GC level of "success" here.

This reminds me of the quote when it said that the Japanese are leaving the PS3 development area at a rate faster than Gamecube era.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Looking at the upcoming Wii lineup for 2007, the gap will keep widening between Wii and next gen consoles. Nintendo is in march to sell as much wii in Japan in one year than it did during the entire lifetime of the GC. Crazy.

.dmc

Banned
mj1108 said:

I imagine his point is more, if they sell 5million copies, then X would likely also end up on DS, no one expects it do be anything less than one of the biggest games on the platform.

vanguardian1 said:

I think part of the reason DQIX went to DS is not just the incredible sales, but the lack of a real fit in the console marketplace. With PS2 on the way out, and what looked to be a close PS3/Wii fight looming ahead, S-E was uncertain where to put the next DQ, so they just threw it on the cash cow DS. There is no longer any uncertainty.

Taurus

marc^o^ said:
Nintendo is in march to sell as much wii in Japan in one year than it did during the entire lifetime of the GC. Crazy.
Omg. I just noticed that. 1 year of Wii sales > lifetime sales of GC in Japan. Seriously, w-t-f?

Early-morning brain fart. Time to replace the HW chart border. GAF visual artists, PM me with a link to a 639x415 image of your own creation -- signed by you somewhere in the visible region -- and I'll use one of my choosing, perhaps a new one every week. Just make sure it follows TOS and isn't blatantly troll-ish in terms of system wars. Timely art would be good, too.

Just a thought.

Deku

Banned
Ruas said:

You shouldn't get ahead of yourself here. X will be on the platform with the largest installed base and probably won't make light of day until 2009/2010 at the earliest.

There are more immediate bellweather indicators for S-E support, mainly the performance of DQ Swords, new projects announced by S-E for the Wii this year and how S-E weasels out of its mainline FF exclusivity with Sony if the chips are indeed falling where we think they are headed.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
castle007 said:
:lol at PS2 almost outselling PS3
Well last week PS2 outsold PS3 by a thousand units or so...
castle007 said:
:O

It is still possible for it to cross the 20 million mark this year, right???

and next week Wii will probably reach half of LTD sales of the GC
2 million YTD, so 2 million in a slight bit above 3 months, without any big release and with average (for the DS, which means none) availability.

If they keep up the pace, they're on track to sell between 6 and 8 million this year
Cheesemeister said:
4/19
Super Paper Mario (Nintendo)
Furu-Furu Park (Taito)

4/26
Wii Big Brain Academy (Nintendo)
The Dog Island: The Tale of One Flower (Yuke's)
One Piece: Unlimited Adventure (Bandai-Namco)

5/17
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Interchannel-Holon)
Case Closed! Memory's Mirage (Marvelous Interactive)

5/24
Jissen Pachislo-Pachinko Hisshou-hou! Sammy's Collection: Fist of the North Star Wii (Sega)

5/31
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Capcom)

6/7
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Walt Disney Japan)

6/14
Negima!? Neo Pactio Fight!! (Marvelous Interactive)

6/21
Hajime no Ippo: Revolution (AQ Interactive)

6/28
DK Bongo Blast (Nintendo)

6/??
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility (Marvelous Interactive)
This doesn't bode well for the PS3 does it?

The next two months are going to be slightly frightening...
Mrbob said:
Homeland?

PS2 sold 38 million and USA and growing, about 35 million in Europe, and only around 20 million in Japan. Sony may still have a homebase in Japan, but they are an international company and PS3 downfall in USA and Europe would be much more hurtful than Japan. Which is the lowest Sony fanbase.
Now check the populations.

USA: 300 million inhabitants, or 1 PS2 per 8 persons
EU: 494 million inhabitants, or 1 PS2 per 14 persons
Japan: 128 million inhabitants, or 1 PS2 per 6.5 persons

So in numbers relative to the population, Japan is the best PS2 market.

Now factor in that Sony is a japanese company (thus homeland) and the number of very important japanese game producers, and I'm sure you can understand the importance of japan for Sony
Pureauthor said:
Buy PS3. Buy FFXIII.

Complete game. Sell it and system back to store.
When FFXIII hits the shelves, I'm not sure it'll still be possible to resell a PS3.

More like rent PS3 and rent FFXIII.
schuelma said:
And re: your GC comparison- well, I'd say if the PS3 ends up like the GC in Japan that does equal a spectacular failure.
It's already worse off than the GC was at this point (much worse), and it supposedly has third party support, which the GC had none of...
linsivvi said:
Let's do some maths. YTD for DS is over 2M already and not even 4 months has passed. Not even factoring in the December boom, they'll at least get 4M for the next 8 months. So 20M is pretty much a lock.

Now, the real question is, will it pass PS2 LTD this year? At this rate PS2 will be very close to 21M by the end of the year.
I say the Wii (edit: yeah I meant the DS not the Wii, I'll enjoy my ban I guess) passes the PS2 LTD before the christmas holiday boost

Hell, I bet a month-long ban on it.

Jokeropia said:
Holy shit. It should go up during Golden Week, but that's just nasty.
I'm wondering what kind of meltdown we could see if there was no real GW bump...

Xzbeat

Masklinn said:
Well last week PS2 outsold PS3 by a thousand units or so...

2 million YTD, so 2 million in a slight bit above 3 months, without any big release and with average (for the DS, which means none) availability.

If they keep up the pace, they're on track to sell between 6 and 8 million this year

This doesn't bode well for the PS3 does it?

The next two months are going to be slightly frightening...

Now check the populations.

USA: 300 million inhabitants, or 1 PS2 per 8 persons
EU: 494 million inhabitants, or 1 PS2 per 14 persons
Japan: 128 million inhabitants, or 1 PS2 per 6.5 persons

So in numbers relative to the population, Japan is the best PS2 market.

Now factor in that Sony is a japanese company (thus homeland) and the number of very important japanese game producers, and I'm sure you can understand the importance of japan for Sony

When FFXIII hits the shelves, I'm not sure it'll still be possible to resell a PS3.

More like rent PS3 and rent FFXIII.

It's already worse off than the GC was at this point (much worse), and it supposedly has third party support, which the GC had none of...

I say the Wii passes the PS2 LTD before the christmas holiday boost

I'm wondering what kind of meltdown we could see if there was no real GW bump...
Looks like you're banned. :lol :lol

mabuza

Banned
HELLO SCEJ HEEEEEELLLLOOOOOOOOO, IS ANYONE HOME. UMM YOU GUYS ARE GETTING YOUR ASS TANKED, CAN YOU UMM GET SOME ****ING GAMES OUT THERE :lol

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
.dmc said:
GC vs PS3
That's just nasty..

The PS3's status is terminal in Japan now, not only have the endured their worse ever week, but with 1 (Yes ONE) game out until June, theres nothing new to pull the punters in, expect sub 10k sales before long, Sony have pulled a Gamecube in Japan, and unlike Nintendo, who at least didn't lose a large sum of money because of it, it will send their business model into chaos, in Japan at least, Sony am doomed in 2007 confirmed.

xabre

Banned
Masklinn said:
I say the Wii passes the PS2 LTD before the christmas holiday boost

Yeah that ain't going to happen. But it's a good, tight battle between those two at the moment and the Wii may well pass the PS2 someday. When one thinks back to hysteria surrounding the PS2 launch and the fact that unlike the Wii it was much more than just a game machine, the fact that the Wii is tracking at very similar levels and perhaps outpacing it wordwide (have to check on that) just goes to show how big the Wii really is.

DS is an altogether different league. It is a phenonemon, Nintendo's first worldwide 100 million seller in the making (Edit - Of course I forgot about the original Gameboy/Colour line).

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I take the bet lol
Xzbeat said:
Looks like you're banned. :lol :lol
DAMMIT, freudian slip > me.

I hate you freud, I hate you :/
xabre said:
Yeah that ain't going to happen.
I ****ed up of course, I meant to say DS.

That'll teach me not to proof my posts...

edit: I think this is appropriate, for both me and my friend the PS3

failure_2.jpg

xabre

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
PS3 comparisons: At 22 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 2.6 weeks (March 16, 2000), where PSP was at 9.6 weeks (February 10, 2005), where GCN was at 15.2 weeks (December 24, 2001), and where Wii was at 4.0 weeks (December 24, 2006).

You need to start including Dreamcast in your comparisons. I'm serious, that just how bad PS3 has gotten.

Krowley

xabre said:
You need to start including Dreamcast in your comparisons. I'm serious, that just how bad PS3 has gotten.

If somebody had access to Neo-Geo and 3DO stats, i would like to see that comparison...

I mean i'm sure that the ps3 is outperforming those two, but i wonder how close it is.

edit/ meh, i'm sure it's way ahead.. It's got the sony brand name going for it and all that.

AniHawk said:
And whoever wins Japan, wins the presidency.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's Ohio.
You make a good point though. Historically, console wars are won and lost in Japan.

It makes sense: you lose Japan, you lose the Japanese 3rd party devs. You lose the Japanese 3rd party devs, you've lost most of the greatest games of a console generation. You lose out on the greatest games, you fall further behind in the hardware race.

It looks like this is a snowball effect: low hardware sales mean fewer games made for your system. The fewer games are made for you system, the less hardware you sell. Thus the cycle repeats itself until you get a Gamecube.

Nowhere is this principle truer than in Japan. The PS3 hasn't got a hope.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
2006 vs 2007. The DSL has been selling at a slower rate than last year but it still up ahead in terms of YTD.

lineds2006vsds2007ltdww5.jpg

linehandheldsltdda7.jpg

Still selling at a high enough rate to be closing in on the PS2 LTD very quickly.

linedsvsps2ltdip0.jpg

The Xbox saga.

linex360vsxboxltdny9.jpg

legend166

I think we need to discuss EXACTLY how bad Sony have screwed up.

I mean, everyone always talks about how much the N64 was a screw up for Nintendo. Yet, as it looks like right now, the N64 will be nothing compared to the PS3. As in, the marketshare lost from the SNES to the N64 will pale in insignificance compared to the marketshare lost from the PS2 to the PS3. And, although this is a Japan only sales thread, that's happening on a worldwide scale.

I mean, I wonder if in 10 years people will make "7 Biggest Sony Mistakes" articles and have the inclusion of Blu-Ray as number 1.

Top Bottom