• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/2 - 4/8

hydragonwarrior said:
I think we're jumping the gun here. There's going to be people who like that "immersion" feeling with HD next gen graphics that only PS3 can provide, and those people WILL buy the PS3, just like there were people who bought a Gamecube last gen just to play Nintendo exclusives.
Those people are a niche group though. The numbers say they are in the vast minority. In fact, they're quickly becoming insignificant. Assuming the PS3 continues on this downward spiral of doom and gloom, pretty soon developers won't be able to afford to bring high budget, 'immersive' HD games to consumers.

EDIT: The lack of charts thusfar (save for Panther's) is disappointing and shocking.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It's kind of funny to see these threads each week still. Before the DS domination, it'd barely be 4-5 pages of discussion.. but now it's like a weekly anticipation of numbers. We still expect to see the typical Nintendo domination, we might see a few surprises but the discussion never fades off. This week it's PS3 hitting 14K - I think it's affected everyone in this thread, doesn't matter which console you prefer to own.

mutsu

Haven't been keeping up with these sales threads for a while, so this might be old...

Animal Crossing DS will cross 4 million sales mark next week according to Famitsu's charts.

Rocksteady33

Mar_ said:
Maybe I'm just being selfish. Because I just want Silent Hill 5. I will buy what ever system is the lead platform for this game, even if no other games come out for the system and it's pronounced dead the next day. Whatever happens, these facts remain:

1. I don't want SH5 on the Wii.
2. I can't imagine SH5 being 360 only.
3. I can imagine it being multi platform.
4. PS3 would most certainly be the lead platform.
5. The PS3 version will sell much better than the 360 version in Japan.

While the Silent Hill series isn't a big seller. I feel that my example is similar to many people's feelings on their favourite 'tech boundary' pushing game. And seeing that the 360 in Japan is more than just a dead system. I still find it hard to dismiss PS3 as being the same when it's selling significantly more, and my reasons above requiring a need for such a system to exist. Which as I've already said, is perhaps a selfish need. But one that I think is valid all the same.

Um, sorry to burst your bubble, but not too many people are willing to fork over $600 for a system to experience one game. Metal Gear? Final Fantasy? Ok, I can see that. But those games are just two that sort of made their debut before the whole game industry shifted. Had Konami or Square known the predicament that the PS3 was in at this point I think they would reevaluate which system they'd develop their multi million dollar projects on. At this point if you have a Japanese based game, that REQUIRES high end graphics, then they have no option to go multiplatform. Hopefully get some sales with the PS3 in Japan and nab quite a bit more on the Xbox 360 in the US/Europe.

Also anyone have a chart that compares the week by week sales of the PS3 and the GameCube?

Deku

Banned
speedpop said:
It's kind of funny to see these threads each week still. Before the DS domination, it'd barely be 4-5 pages of discussion.. but now it's like a weekly anticipation of numbers. We still expect to see the typical Nintendo domination, we might see a few surprises but the discussion never fades off. This week it's PS3 hitting 14K - I think it's affected everyone in this thread, doesn't matter which console you prefer to own.

You want to know why the threads are long?

The MC thread lifecycle

1) Software numbers released
2) First reactions on top 10/rankings.
-whining about games missing on list
-surprise at 'legs' of some titles
-accusation made about non-games destroying the industry and the poor taste of the Japanese public
-Vinkk posts store surveys
3) The Monorojo effect
-CoolTrick files complaint about a random feature of the thread
-Monorojo wannabes spin data to their liking, berate Nintendo and Japan
4) Early hardware numbers release/ 1st day data for the coming week
-gloating about Nintendomination
-surprise at first day sales of some titles
-accusation made about non-games destroying the industry and the poor taste of the Japanese public
-CoolTrick still complaining, alludes to banned sales site
5) Hardware numbers released
-Pictures of giant blimps crashing and exploding posted next PS3 sales
-Monorojo wannabes return for a parting shot
-Speedpop wonders about the size of the MC threads
6) The Lull
-Next week's preview numbers discussed
-Random chatter

Deku

Banned
PS3 14,520
831029~Hindenburg-Exploding-into-Flames-1937-Posters.jpg

jimbo

Banned
"Nintendo just won next-gen. Seriously. Reread this statement and go melt down your N64 and your GC for the failures that they really were."

Without a single next-gen game. Seriously, this crap is getting old.

donny2112

Juwanna Peezadis said:
EDIT: The lack of charts thusfar (save for Panther's) is disappointing and shocking.

I don't know if you're talking about me or not, but I wasn't planning on posting charts this week since PantherLotus already had his posted by Cheesemeister. However, seeing as how you asked for more charts ...

JPNConsoles-6.png

JPNHandhelds-4.png

PS3 with Gundam Musou and PSP with Monster Hunter Portable 2 both had big boosts but have seen nothing but decline since then. This is typical of the losing system in a console war. Contrast that with the DS's weekly increase after Brain Training 1 compared to before Brain Training 1.

Deku said:

The MC thread lifecycle

3) The Monorojo effect
6) The Lull
-Random chatter

I love you.

Deku said:

The MC thread lifecycle

Spot on.
But now the question is, now that we are fully aware that the media-create threads are generally insane, why do we keep coming back ? Personally, I think that the hilarity of some reactions, the particularly interesting analysis and reports from GAFfers, and the glorious spectacle of the complete upheaval of the Japanese game industry are what make up for the confusion. Good times indeed.

AniHawk

Segata Sanshiro said:
Japan is over. O-V-E-R.

Things could still change elsewhere...maybe...possibly. But Japan has been decided.

And whoever wins Japan, wins the presidency.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's Ohio.

donny2112 said:
PS3 with Gundam Musou and PSP with Monster Hunter Portable 2 both had big boosts but have seen nothing but decline since then. This is typical of the losing system in a console war. Contrast that with the DS's weekly increase after Brain Training 1 compared to before Brain Training 1.
Sony need to start moneyhatting some devs for big games.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Japan is over. O-V-E-R.

Things could still change elsewhere...maybe...possibly. But Japan has been decided.

I am still waiting for Sonic Rush 2, who ever has sonic rush 2 wins the handheld race.

apotema

Deku said:

The MC thread lifecycle

3) The Monorojo effect
6) The Lull
-Random chatter

Some random components of the lifecycle

-Someone asking Cheesemeister to add a feature to the original post
-People joking/speculating wih false HW numbers
-People (like me) missing Mono and Tabris
-Wait for XXXXXX (PS3)
-Graphics and analysis from Donny, Cheese and Joshua
-"X out of 10... Well that about wraps it up for Nintendo"
-itprintsmoney.gif
-People asking for HW hours before time, same applies for first day sales and SW for next week

The big question now is how low can ps3 go and how high wii can go, assuming Nintendo is able to supply ample wii's for the next several weeks. This, all leading into Golden Week, is going to get extremely interesting. With no good ps3 software for the foreseeable future, I can easily see wii outselling ps3 by a 5:1, 6:1, and possibly even higher ratios in the upcoming weeks. It's going to get really ugly for ps3.

mugwhump

Vinnk said:
7. I will leave for the United States later this week and I will be there for about 3 weeks. Of course this means I will not be able to do the “Vinnk’s Village” post until I return. My next report will be on May 10th. But if requested I could email Famicom Dojo and get their numbers during the time I am gone.
You should do an American availability report! Or someone else should. There's no kind of organized anecdotal features on NA availability.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
mugwhump said:
You should do an American availability report! Or someone else should. There's no kind of organized anecdotal features on NA availability.

LOL, that would be kind of great.

:D

(please visit California)

mugwhump said:

For some absurd reason, writing a Google Maps app that queries whatever available retailer databases for game/system availability sounds really fun... Though I'm sure it's been done already, no?

Vinnk

mugwhump said:

I could document my hunt to get an American Wii. I always thought it would be easy. That there would be plenty by April. I was planning to just walk into a store and buy one. Hell, I still havn't played Zelda: TP because I wanted to play the English version rather than have to crack open my dictionary every few minutes to play the Japanese one. I hope in the 18 days I am in the states I can track one down. Hopefully right away. I really want to play Super Paper Mario.

donny2112 said:
I don't know if you're talking about me or not, but I wasn't planning on posting charts this week since PantherLotus already had his posted by Cheesemeister. However, seeing as how you asked for more charts ...

<3 Thanks. I was also talking about JoshuaJ and his many comparison charts. Unless I overlooked his post somewhere. . .

The_Dude

Alkaliine said:
There's very little chance FFXIII will come to Wii. That game was designed to be a highly cinematic experience and something wii couldn't effectively manage.
So there were no highly cinematic experiences until PS3 and 360 came along?

Mr. Pointy said:
****. The PS3 just 3DOed/NeoGeoed/Gamecubed itself.
You're comparing the GameCube to the 3DO and Neo Geo? :lol

Evlar

Banned
Alkaliine said:
There's very little chance FFXIII will come to Wii. That game was designed to be a highly cinematic experience and something wii couldn't effectively manage.
The last Square property that was designed to be a highly cinematic experience was called Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and it almost sunk the company. I'm sure there are elements among S-E's management and talent that want to make no compromises, take no prisoners, push it out on the most powerful system come hell or high water... And then there's the faction that learned something from the last time the company sunk a fortune into such a risky venture. I can't predict which side will win... but I can say that keeping the bulk of FFXIII properties exclusive to PS3 looks like a Spirits Within caliber miscalculation TO ME.

I'm not endorsing the Moku Theory at the moment. I'm behind the relabelling strategy... keep working on the PS3 projects but announce a new Wii game and position it as a central storyline, maybe THE central storyline. But I gotta say if the PS3 continues to break new barriers in the sub-15k region the logic that justifies S-E's largest game ever being released exclusively on the system becomes harder to find.

God, I so prefer Media Create and their use of the complex technology known as TEXT.
h-121_70016_070427hard.jpg.jpg

I'm having trouble being sure whether Famitsu has Wii at 40,793 or 40,798. For that matter, DS could be 632 or 682. I'll have to remember to double check when another one of the sources that tracks these things gets them from the magazine.

Juwanna Peezadis said:
<3 Thanks. I was also talking about JoshuaJ and his many comparison charts. Unless I overlooked his post somewhere. . .
There's no need to fear! JoshuaJ and his many comparison charts are here!

Wii comparisons: At 19 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 68.7 weeks (January 3, 2003), where DS was at 17.8 weeks (April 1, 2005), where PS2 was at 17.1 weeks (June 25, 2000), and where PSP was at 48.6 weeks (November 10, 2005).

PS3 comparisons: At 22 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 2.6 weeks (March 16, 2000), where PSP was at 9.6 weeks (February 10, 2005), where GCN was at 15.2 weeks (December 24, 2001), and where Wii was at 4.0 weeks (December 24, 2006).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly PS3/Wii shares are 21.6/78.4 this week, bringing lifetime shares to 29.1/70.9. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this rate, it would catch up in 81.8 weeks (October 31, 2008). If the flip occurred, PS3 and Wii would meet in 31.2 weeks (November 12, 2007).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, they meet up February 19, 2008 at 21.1 million units apiece.

Earlier in the year DS was doing way better than its 2006 numbers, but it's really falling behind weekly. 8 weeks straight below 150K is a new record for DS+DSL. Still, it remains something like 600K ahead of last year, so it could be behind last year's weekly numbers by 10K every week and still set a new record.

I rarely pull these out since few comment on them, but here again is Wii vs GCNSum. GCNSum being all of GCN's years summed together*, so we can see that even when Wii has seemed to have slower weeks, it's doing better than GCN did in the same week in 2002/2003/2004/2005/2006/2007 combined. If it catches up before week 52, that means it outsold GCN's total within year 1.

*To make a full one year picture for GCN, I just assumed a few hundred per week throughout 2007. Also note Famitsu numbers are used, so GCN's end total is a couple hundred K below Media Create's lifetime number.

castle007 said:
It is still possible for it to cross the 20 million mark this year, right???
To reach only 20 million would mean quarters 2, 3, and 4 would have to be much lower than quarter 1. 23 million by the end of the year, at least.

Alkaliine said:
So you're saying that there never has been a highly cinematic experience in a Final Fantasy game before this one? I mean because the Wii is considerably more powerful then a PS1 or a PS2 so matching and exceeding the Cinematic Qualities of Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12 are well within the Wii's technical abilities.

JoshuaJSlone said:
PS3 comparisons: At 22 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 2.6 weeks (March 16, 2000), where PSP was at 9.6 weeks (February 10, 2005), where GCN was at 15.2 weeks (December 24, 2001), and where Wii was at 4.0 weeks (December 24, 2006).

Wow, so ps3 is trailing gc by a pretty significant margin. Not good at all.

JoshuaJSlone said:
God, I so prefer Media Create and their use of the complex technology known as TEXT.
h-121_70016_070427hard.jpg.jpg

I'm having trouble being sure whether Famitsu has Wii at 40,793 or 40,798. For that matter, DS could be 632 or 682. I'll have to remember to double check when another one of the sources that tracks these things gets them from the magazine.

There's no need to fear! JoshuaJ and his many comparison charts are here!

Wii comparisons: At 19 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 68.7 weeks (January 3, 2003), where DS was at 17.8 weeks (April 1, 2005), where PS2 was at 17.1 weeks (June 25, 2000), and where PSP was at 48.6 weeks (November 10, 2005).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly PS3/Wii shares are 21.6/78.4 this week, bringing lifetime shares to 29.1/70.9. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this rate, it would catch up in 81.8 weeks (October 31, 2008). If the flip occurred, PS3 and Wii would meet in 31.2 weeks (November 12, 2007).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, they meet up February 19, 2008 at 21.1 million units apiece.

Earlier in the year DS was doing way better than its 2006 numbers, but it's really falling behind weekly. 8 weeks straight below 150K is a new record for DS+DSL. Still, it remains something like 600K ahead of last year, so it could be behind last year's weekly numbers by 10K every week and still set a new record.

I rarely pull these out since few comment on them, but here again is Wii vs GCNSum. GCNSum being all of GCN's years summed together*, so we can see that even when Wii has seemed to have slower weeks, it's doing better than GCN did in the same week in 2002/2003/2004/2005/2006/2007 combined. If it catches up before week 52, that means it outsold GCN's total within year 1.

*To make a full one year picture for GCN, I just assumed a few hundred per week throughout 2007. Also note Famitsu numbers are used, so GCN's end total is a couple hundred K below Media Create's lifetime number.

To reach only 20 million would mean quarters 2, 3, and 4 would have to be much lower than quarter 1. 23 million by the end of the year, at least.

<3

Your comparisons are my favorite part of these threads. Keep up the good work, man.

apotema said:
Some random components of the lifecycle

-Someone asking Cheesemeister to add a feature to the original post
-People joking/speculating wih false HW numbers
-People (like me) missing Mono and Tabris
-Wait for XXXXXX (PS3)
-Graphics and analysis from Donny, Cheese and Joshua
-"X out of 10... Well that about wraps it up for Nintendo"
-itprintsmoney.gif
-People asking for HW hours before time, same applies for first day sales and SW for next week

T_T

StevieP

Banned
jimbo said:
Without a single next-gen game. Seriously, this crap is getting old.

Were bitter fanboy tears and the misnomer logic about what constitutes the 7th generation of videogame consoles a part of the cycle? :lol

Axord

schuelma said:
What I don't understand about Sony is how they managed to have a bunch of Western sports games coming out during the Easter period while Nintendo is sending in some pretty heavy hitters. Was it arrogance? Stupidity? It just amazes me that they are sending MADDEN to do battle with Mario and BBA.
Game development is more art than science, with all the unanticipated delays and quality variation that implies. Don't think for a moment that Sony wants it this way.

Mar

JoshuaJSlone said:

Holy ****ing shit.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mar_ said:
Holy ****ing shit.

Showing all of these trends is why I :lol @ all of these people saying wait for ___________ game. I honestly believe this is a done deal. Remember that they shipped 1 million to Japan at the beginning of January and they are nowhere near close to selling that amount.

StevieP

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Showing all of these trends is why I :lol @ all of these people saying wait for ___________ game. I honestly believe this is a done deal. Remember that they shipped 1 million to Japan at the beginning of January and they are nowhere near close to selling that amount.

Wait for Virtua Fighter 5!

Top Bottom