• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/2 - 4/8

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I don't want to sound like a fanboy here, but I think the PS2 > PS3 transition is a worse failure than the SNES > N64 > NGC transitions ever were. The three Nintendo machines had a steady decline in sales (and as far as I'm aware the N64 didn't sell THAT badly, just that the Playstation sold a helluvalot more. Or am I wrong in thinking that? Probably am, but eh.) Software sales were good unless you were a third party and hey, Nintendo managed to make a bit on the side to tide them over during rainy days.

Sony on the other hand jumped from the most successful home console last generation to something selling even WORSE than the Gamecube has at the same moment in its lifetime. The best selling game on Wii has sold more than the entire PS3 library combined. It's losing exclusives to Microsoft of all people too. And we're all aware that Sony loses money on every machine sold too.

They really, really need their own Brain Training or Nintendogs. Or SOMETHING. Maybe a terrapin-pet simulator where you keep them in a bowl and you can tilt it around with the SIXAXIS. I dunno, not my job to tell them what to do.

Vagabundo

legend166 said:
I think we need to discuss EXACTLY how bad Sony have screwed up.
I mean, I wonder if in 10 years people will make "7 Biggest Sony Mistakes" articles and have the inclusion of Blu-Ray as number 1.

I think Bluray and Cell are maybe a (2?)year or so too early. Sony maybe jumped the gun.

I think they still believe that the Playstation brand is so strong it will survive the first year or two of meh sales and can be the come-back kid.

Only time will tell with that one.

xabre said:
You need to start including Dreamcast in your comparisons. I'm serious, that just how bad PS3 has gotten.

That would be interesting, although the data probably isn't available.

The dreamcast sold about 2.3 million in Japan in the end apparently. If the PS3 continues selling at the level it reached this week, then it will take about 100 weeks for it to meet the dreamcast. Throw in some holiday boosts and you could cut that down to like one and a half years or whatever - i.e. about 2 years from launch to catch the dreamcast (that is coming out of my ass).

I am being very unfair though. A lot of those dreamcasts were fished out of bargain bins, and the PS3 so far still has a crappy selection of games for the japanese market.

Pureauthor said:
:lol :lol :lol
Please tell you're not laughing at the idea that Dragon Quest is huge, and arguably the most popular RPG in Japan. If so you are clueless, so stop remarking on comments you have no clue about.

Zerostatic said:
Please tell you're not laughing at the idea that Dragon Quest is huge, and arguably the most popular RPG in Japan. If so you are clueless, so stop remarking on comments you have no clue about.

Let me show you something...

mclem

jimbo said:
Without a single next-gen game. Seriously, this crap is getting old.

You know something? The Saturn absolutely kicks arse at pushing sprites. It's *superb* at it, one of the finest consoles at moving sprites ever.
Unfortunately, Sony came along with the Playstation, and Sega were somewhat shocked to discover that next-gen was in fact *polygons*, not Just Fancier Sprites.
They threw in some polygon functionality into the Saturn, but it was a half-hearted effort, not as effective, and Sega paid the price. The rest is history.

You know something? The PS3 absolutely kicks arse at pushing polygons. It's *superb* at it, one of the finest consoles at moving polygons ever.
Unfortunately, Nintendo came along with the Wii, and Sony were somewhat shocked to discover that next-gen was in fact *waggle*, not Just Fancier Polygons.
They threw in some waggle functionality into the PS3, but it was a half-hearted effort, not as effective, and Sony appear to be paying the price. It's all just a little bit of history repeating.

Vagabundo

mclem said:
.... It's all just a little bit of history repeating.

The word is about, there's something evolving,
whatever may come, the world keeps revolving
They say the next big thing is here,
that the revolution's near,
but to me it seems quite clear
that it's all just a little bit of history repeating

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
mclem said:
You know something? The Saturn absolutely kicks arse at pushing sprites. It's *superb* at it, one of the finest consoles at moving sprites ever.
Unfortunately, Sony came along with the Playstation, and Sega were somewhat shocked to discover that next-gen was in fact *polygons*, not Just Fancier Sprites.
They threw in some polygon functionality into the Saturn, but it was a half-hearted effort, not as effective, and Sega paid the price. The rest is history.

You know something? The PS3 absolutely kicks arse at pushing polygons. It's *superb* at it, one of the finest consoles at moving polygons ever.
Unfortunately, Nintendo came along with the Wii, and Sony were somewhat shocked to discover that next-gen was in fact *waggle*, not Just Fancier Polygons.
They threw in some waggle functionality into the PS3, but it was a half-hearted effort, not as effective, and Sony appear to be paying the price. It's all just a little bit of history repeating.

Damn, that was pretty good. I like that post of yours

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
AniHawk said:
I'm afraid that it'll be on the DS. I want VA, DQ8 level graphics or better, better online, and all that jazz, but it'd cost more for Wii than DS.
as a big DQ fan, played all of them (havent finished 7 yet but Im in the last dungeon so...). portability is the best thing that has happened to the series imo, yes even better than DQ8 zomg graphics, I just dont have time to sit infront of the tv to play a game for 80 hours anymore (took me over 5-6 months to finish DQ8 I think it's been 3-4 months since I started DQ7 and I still havent finish it)... with the DS I can fire up that baby anywhere, anytime.

that said bring on DQ9 Horii, I cant ****ing wait for it :)

ylvis_

Banned
This week should be even bigger for the Wii though, since Nintendo said they've bumped up shipment for this week.

xabre

Banned
Pope Benedict XVI said:
That would be interesting, although the data probably isn't available.

As of last week -

hardline.php

donny2112

Famitsu March 26-April 1

1. PS2 Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ 182162 / NEW
2. PS2 Musou Orochi 115239 / 492746
3. NDS Digimon Story Sunburst/Moonlight 72308 / NEW
4. NDS More English Training 50103 / NEW
5. NDS Word Puzzle Mojipittan DS 43170 / 182462
6. NDS Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village 42958 / 394156
7. PS2 Pro Baseball Spirits 4 39444 / NEW
8. NDS Tamagotchi no Appare! Niji-Venture 37929 / NEW
9. NDS Yoshi's Island DS 37722 / 493113
10. PS2 Fist of the North Star: Shinban no Futazousei - Kengou Retsuden 29658 / NEW
11. WII Wii Sports 27831 / 1251843
12. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 26987 / 1122186
13. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 26913 / 4304011
14. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 24641 / 4974502
15. NDS Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Goku Legend 22336 / 84546
16. WII Wii Play 19090 / 1037396
17. PS3 Pro Baseball Spirits 4 18584 / NEW
18. NDS Brain Training 2 18152 / 4191676
19. NDS D.Gray-Man: Kami no Shitotachi 18054 / NEW
20. NDS Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS 17604 / NEW
21. NDS Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 17329 / 1305643
22. WII Aim!! Fishing Master 16408 / NEW
23. NDS Crayon Shin-chan DS: Arashi wo Sakebunutte Crayon Daisakusen! 15708 / 46356
24. NDS Mario Kart DS 15590 / 2041423
25. NDS General Knowledge Training 14839 / 1316430
26. NDS TOEIC Test Training DS 14518 / NEW
27. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 14427 / 3994213
28. NDS Sim City DS 10824 / 95868
29. NDS Mega Man Star Force Pegasus/Leo/Dragon 10350 / 449172
30. PS2 Winning Post 7: Maximum 2007 9111 / NEW

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
SovanJedi said:
I don't want to sound like a fanboy here, but I think the PS2 > PS3 transition is a worse failure than the SNES > N64 > NGC transitions ever were. The three Nintendo machines had a steady decline in sales (and as far as I'm aware the N64 didn't sell THAT badly, just that the Playstation sold a helluvalot more. Or am I wrong in thinking that? Probably am, but eh.)
Nah that's pretty much it, the SNES sold around 50 million WW versus a bit more than 30 million for the N64 (which were dwarfed because of the 100 million PS1s). It was a huge drop in market share (from 60 or 70% down to 20% or so) but not that big in absolute numbers.
Vagabundo said:
I think Bluray and Cell are maybe a (2?)year or so too early. Sony maybe jumped the gun.
I think we can add HD to this list, and say that they were a full generation too early.

Sony really is trying to skip a whole generation, and it seems to be a complete mistake.

gkryhewy

mclem said:

That's one of the better 'reasons for the PS3's doomedness' analogies I've read. Kudos.

legend166 said:
I mean, I wonder if in 10 years people will make "7 Biggest Sony Mistakes" articles and have the inclusion of Blu-Ray as number 1.
I think 599 US DOLLARS is pretty much the #1 on that list.

D.Lo

mclem said:
Total myth. Sega were the market leaders in 3D games in the arcade at the time, they knew 3D was the future. The Saturn was rushed, but 3D was not an afterthought, and wasn't 'thrown in'.

I think EGM made this story up based on the crappy Daytona and VF1 ports, and they never corrected themselves, even though a short while later Sega Rally and VF2 crushed the PS1 equivalents at the time graphically.

And while your idea was ok, your point was also a bit off base. 3D had been a proven technology for years, 'waggle', at least in the form of the Wii Remote is entirely new and a much bigger gamble.

joetachi

Mr. Pointy said:
I think 599 US DOLLARS is pretty much the #1 on that list.
That is the moment that will go down in history as the moment sony lost next gen. I remember watching it and feeling tha console shift, it was incredible.

Don't forget that Shenmue demo.

I recently read an article discussing the real deal with Saturn's 3D. I don't know where it is, but you're right.

mclem

D.Lo said:
Total myth. Sega were the market leaders in 3D games in the arcade at the time, they knew 3D was the future. The Saturn was rushed, but 3D was not an afterthought, and wasn't 'thrown in'.

I think EGM made this story up based on the crappy Daytona and VF1 ports, and they never corrected themselves, even though a short while later Sega Rally and VF2 crushed the PS1 equivalents at the time graphically.

And while your idea was ok, your point was also a bit off base. 3D had been a proven technology for years, 'waggle', at least in the form of the Wii Remote is entirely new and a much bigger gamble.
My point was more "don't fall into the trap of assuming that 'next gen' is 'what the previous gen did, but a bit better'"; look at the comment I was replying to.

Nevertheless, while I'm shaky on the facts, wasn't it the case that the libraries for coding 3D on the Saturn *were* half-heartedly put together? The problem is that that doesn't make a nice parallel with the PS3, since I suspect coding for the PS3's motion control is fairly easy.

Call it artistic license?

jesusraz

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Gyakuten Saiban 4 - 160.000
Mario vs DK 2 - 25.000

Truly fantastic for GS4 - very pleasing to see it'll likely hit 300,000+ for the whole week. Let's hope Capcom gets the next batch of stock out ASAP to help this on its way to a million and secure the series as a Nintendo-exclusive for a long time...

As for M vs. DK 2, depending on how much was shipped, it could well make at least 80,000 by the end of the week. Not too shabby!

joetachi said:
That is the moment that will go down in history as the moment sony lost next gen. I remember watching it and feeling tha console shift, it was incredible.

Yep. Reminds me of another moment where you could feel the shift. At the first E3, some hungry young company had to follow a press conference by one of the major movers of the previous generation, where a surprise launch at $399 was announced.

The prez of this hungry young company took the podium and said into the mic, "$299".

Sony could really take a lesson from that company.

jesusraz said:
Truly fantastic for GS4 - very pleasing to see it'll likely hit 300,000+ for the whole week. Let's hope Capcom gets the next batch of stock out ASAP to help this on its way to a million and secure the series as a Nintendo-exclusive for a long time...
I bet Capcom will port the GBA versions of GS1-3 onto the PSP, maybe with voice-acting for shits and giggles.

It'd be almost free money.

Thraktor

The PS3 has just had five successive week-on-week declines. This isn't just a post-Gundabump return to norm, though, as the console has just seen its two lowest sales weeks since launch. The drop in sales appears to be following an inverse-exponential decrease, so I threw some data into Excel, did some equations, and I managed to come up with this as the best fit to the current trend:

ps3_post_gunda.png

Golden Week will probably cause a slight deviation from the trend, but with Madden the only new game, I can't see it being a big one. The decrease levels off just above 11,700 units a week, which, to be fair, is at least above the Gamecube at it's worst. What is worth noting, though, is that XBox360 has actually sold more than this on a few occasions, and without any big PS3 titles to pick up sales for at least a few months, it begs the question: are there any releases in the coming months that could push XBox360 sales above the PS3?

gkryhewy

D.Lo said:

You make a good point about their arcade experience, but Saturn's 3D capabilities were very much an afterthought (IIRC, the second processor was added late in the R&D cycle to make the system more 3D capable).

BuzzJive

AniHawk said:
They just need a little MGS4. It's still good! It's still good!

You can't make friends with salad.

I just wanted to let you know that I always appreciate the Simpsons and Futurama references in your posts.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Gyakuten Saiban 4 - 160.000
Mario vs DK 2 - 25.000
Grim Grimoire - 10.000

This confirms it, but the end of the week GS4 will have been the highest selling Gyakuten Saiban game....ever.

If they surpass Capcom's expectations (which it will, we just don't know what degree it will), it will make Gyakuten Saiban a Nintendo Exclusive franchise FOREVER. Bring on GS5 next year, and please make it 5 cases.

nli10

Vagabundo said:
The word is about, there's something evolving,
whatever may come, the world keeps revolving
They say the next big thing is here,
that the revolution's near,
but to me it seems quite clear
that it's all just a little bit of history repeating

Thats going to be in my head for hours now. Propellorheads FTW

Must just add the only thing funnier than all the 'Wii will fail' crow eating will be the resurection of these threads when the PS3 is the best selling home console in 18 months time (Xmas 2008) to see who must consume the crow this time. :D

I've always seen the Wii & DS as massive short term (3 year) lifespan consoles - and as they are always proffit making and have the best games for me at the moment that is fantastic.

PS3 I see as a 5 year proposition, Sony are making more than enough money off the PS2 and are just brand positioning the PS3 for the long haul. They need to be seen as the pioneers of the cutting edge stuff otherwise Sony Inc. will look underpowered. They want you to buy the Sony TV and Sony Memory and the whole PS3 lifestyle not just the big black box. I'm not surprised that Sony have no real big releases for a while, the hardcore Sony fans will buy it anyway and promote it anyway and the games can benefit from the extra 6 months in development.

Satter

Banned
mclem said:

Great post. But I still believe it's because of the price.

Zerostatic said:

I'm laughing at the clueless people who think Dragon Quest is the biggest RPG in Japan, yes.

Edit: Gogogo, GS4!

Eteric Rice

nli10 said:
Thats going to be in my head for hours now. Propellorheads FTW

Must just add the only thing funnier than all the 'Wii will fail' crow eating will be the resurection of these threads when the PS3 is the best selling home console in 18 months time (Xmas 2008) to see who must consume the crow this time. :D

I've always seen the Wii & DS as massive short term (3 year) lifespan consoles - and as they are always proffit making and have the best games for me at the moment that is fantastic.

PS3 I see as a 5 year proposition, Sony are making more than enough money off the PS2 and are just brand positioning the PS3 for the long haul. They need to be seen as the pioneers of the cutting edge stuff otherwise Sony Inc. will look underpowered. They want you to buy the Sony TV and Sony Memory and the whole PS3 lifestyle not just the big black box. I'm not surprised that Sony have no real big releases for a while, the hardcore Sony fans will buy it anyway and promote it anyway and the games can benefit from the extra 6 months in development.

I'm not so sure about that. Nintendo is known for pushing things far beyond when they're supposed to die. It's really hard to say, though. We can't say what will happen in the future, we can only look at what's happening now.

I see the Wii lasting about 4 years, which is the minimum of consoles I think. Then, we'll see a Wii2 with HD, some revolutionary game, and some new thing to catch the interest of the general public. Then the cycle will start all over again.

felipeko

nli10 said:
So do you really think this is the last year of DS?
Yeah, right.

Top Bottom