• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/23 - 4/29

DarkMehm

Flakster99 said:
Credit to sinobi, his software numbers have been very close to final week software numbers. Hardware numbers can be way out there, it is a toss up.

Those are not his numbers, he gets them from Famitsu...

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
syfodyas said:
Architect.gif

Perfect.

fanduck said:
All those same points could be said for a 3d Mario game in America too, yet they sold much much better in America. They sold well in Japan, just not nearly as well. I just wonder if maybe Japan doesn't like the 3d games as much as Americans.

Looks to me like SMG has at least 2 things that can help with that:

1) The black empty blackground simplifies what you see in the screen and it makes it less confusing and easier to navigate.

2) The little small planet-levels also helps in that way. It is less confusing and your objective is clearer on every level, making it easier.

Therer are 2 other things i beleive they can do to make it more accesible.

1) Cooperative multiplayer. Iwata said they wanted nongamers and gamers playing together. In this case the gamer can control mario with the nunchaku, and the nongamer can help with just one wiimote. This is what is hinted at some videos.

2)They can follow NSPM design, one easy path to the end for the nongamers, and another path for the hardcore gamers, inlcuding coin or star hunting.

JudgeN

Every dynasty falls and its just time for the Playstation dynasty to crumble. As much as I enjoy my PS3 and respect Sony for bringing new IP. I gotta give it to Nintendo, Wii has that special appeal and with it being the lowest price out of all its other competition, it is an unbeatable combination. Can't say anything but good job, even if i hate the waggle :lol

thaivo

Eteric Rice said:
I just think Big Brain Academy was more of a handheld game. It'll do fine, but I just don't think it's going to sell a million. Maybe half a million?

I think Wii Health, and Wii Music will be the ones that sell.

I do wish Nintendo would release a compilation of traditional board games (Chess, Checkers, etc) with online for the Wii. I bet that would do pretty well.

I think that BBA will have legs, not WiiSports legs, but the fact that it sold more its second week is a very good sign. The traditional board games are a really good idea! I'd also love it if they used the WiiShop channel to release small online games, like online Tetris or something.

Jirotrom

JudgeN said:
Every dynasty falls and its just time for the Playstation dynasty to crumble. As much as I enjoy my PS3 and respect Sony for bringing new IP. I gotta give it to Nintendo, Wii has that special appeal and with it being the lowest price out of all its other competition, it is an unbeatable combination. Can't say anything but good job, even if i hate the waggle :lol
Holy shit another sane Sony fan. I haven't yet invested into a PS3 and Im waiting for one more psp price drop. the PS2 is my baby though.

I think what's most shocking was how unprepared Sony was in terms of Software. None of Sony's first party titles are anywhere near ready. What we're experiencing right now is a full blown software droubt the likes of which we haven't seen in this generation. Even the Wii has had a steady drip of mediocre titles, with a couple good ones (WarioWare, SPM) mixed in.

Sony's strategy as articulated last year was to court third parties less aggressively and instead focus on the first party. Well where is it? Their justification for losing GTA was that first party would make up for it. Well show it to us.

It's ironic that Sony is making so many mistakes which doomed Nintendo over the past two gens.

ziran

SPM has had another great week! ~315K by Famitsu's numbers, which is excellent. It should manage over 500K, easily the highest selling PM game. Good legs for BBA, could become another big hit, though I doubt it's going to be as popular as the DS game.

Another wow @ 200K for DS and the rebouding of so many titles!

...and thanks for the charts and numbers creamsugar, enishi and Jonnyram.

M3d10n said:
Going by the trolls' logic, the non-games and Wii Sports don't appeal to "true" gamers, thus they shouldn't eat the mat00r games sales. If that's so, the "real" games would be selling as much as they are today.
Yeah, this is such dense logic, especially now.

You know, I'm still seeing so many hardcore gamers and supposed industry professionals saying Wii Sports is a tech demo, unfinished and limited, which is fair enough if you think that way, but then coming to the retarded conclusion, the target audience is disappointed with it, or they will tire of it quickly and Nintendo has nothing to follow it up! :lol

They don't realise Wii Sports to casual gamers is the equivalent of something like Halo to the hardcore. It's a fully fledged game and they don't care about it having any more, in other words they love it and are satisfied.

While it's amusing to see these people flail about with their predictions of games they don't understand, after a good 6 months of this bullshit I wish they'd just let it go and admit defeat. I really don't see any shame in it because it's just not their field of expertise.

super funk said:
Hot damn! Everything got a huge boost. NSMB almost doubling its sales after being out for a year. SPM and BBA both have great legs and should finish with strong sales. Good to hear that Layton passed the inevitable 500k, and GS should do the same in a few weeks.

I know this may sound crazy, but nothing is out of the question when it comes to software sales anymore. Can NSMB pass the original Super Mario in sales? Isnt it only like 2 million away?
:lol

The absurdity of this statement a couple of years ago is just incredible, and yet here I am today agreeing with you. It's possible NSMB could reach SMB's sales!

Using the words 'only' and '2 million' when it comes to Nintendo in Japan has become part of the norm, which is just staggering!

thaivo

Gekkonidae said:
I think what's most shocking was how unprepared Sony was in terms of Software. None of Sony's first party titles are anywhere near ready. What we're experiencing right now is a full blown software droubt the likes of which we haven't seen in this generation. Even the Wii has had a steady drip of mediocre titles, with a couple good ones (WarioWare, SPM) mixed in.

What puzzles me is that their internal teams must have been developing games for quite awhile, especially considering the fact that PS3 was delayed 6 months just because of BRD, and nothing about the other innards of the PS3... why the delay in the software?

thaivo

ziran said:
SPM has had another great week! ~315K by Famitsu's numbers, which is excellent. It should manage over 500K, easily the highest selling PM game. Good legs for BBA, could become another big hit, though I doubt it's going to be as popular as the DS game.

See I think this is where some people may be mistaken. Although BBA didn't do as well as Brain Age on the DS, it doesn't have the same competition on the Wii... Also, the mechanic is different, it is built for competition, and I could see this game becoming very popular for all ages.

thaivo said:
What puzzles me is that their internal teams must have been developing games for quite awhile, especially considering the fact that PS3 was delayed 6 months just because of BRD, and nothing about the other innards of the PS3... why the delay in the software?

The fact of the matter is that Sony did not account for the fact that a large increase in power has led to an exponential increase in the complexity of devlopment. Add to this the fact that the PS3 is reportedly very difficult to develop for and we see that Sony's internal studios got caught with their pants down. They likely thought that they could develop these games with last-gen timeframes and weren't ready in time.

Or maybe they actually believed they could sell the first five million without any games.

thaivo

Gekkonidae said:
The fact of the matter is that Sony did not account for the fact that a large increase in power has led to an exponential increase in the complexity of devlopment. Add to this the fact that the PS3 is reportedly very difficult to develop for and we see that Sony's internal studios got caught with their pants down. They likely thought that they could develop these games with last-gen timeframes and weren't ready in time.

Or maybe they actually believed they could sell the first five million without any games.

I think you are right. It was a perfect storm of (1) exponential increase in complexity and cost for assets (2) the success of PS2 drawing resources from PS3 (3) pure arrogance.. :lol

Kafel

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Is it me or has there been a lot more companies jumping on the Wii bandwagon this week?

All this month you'll observe a shift : companies end their fiscal year and announce what to expect.

Tobor

Gekkonidae said:

Sony should have delayed God of War and ported it up, Zelda TP style. That was a huge wasted opportunity for them to build hype.

Tobor said:
Sony should have delayed God of War and ported it up, Zelda TP style. That was a huge wasted opportunity for them to build hype.

I agree, although you have to remember that the PS2-PS3 port would have been infinitely more difficult than the Wii-GC port. And they didn't want a game that ended up looking inferior to what's out on the 360.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow at BBA legs. I am bullish on this title, to steal a phrase. Obviously its a fundamentally different game on the Wii, but I think it shares some similarities with their other two "Wii" branded games to do very very well- using the Mii's, fast multiplayer action, simply play...

Also wow at SPM- looks like it also has some nice legs.

And regarding the Wii 80K number- remember, the last 3 weeks the initial number has been low for the Wii. I think last week the early number was 75K and it did 100K in the MC chart. I look for another 100K plus week, especially given how high Wii Sports is.

OK guys, I've got another fun comparison tool. Weekly you see my comparisons that say things like the Wii at 17 weeks is where GCN was at 90 weeks or whatever. I built that by taking the same sort of input as the regular line comparisons and treating it differently, but until now I hadn't bothered to make a page specifically for creating these "in terms of..." pages, which turned out to be as simple as cutting out some of the options and telling it to use a different PHP file. Here it is.

As a few examples of interesting things that can be done...

We know this is DS's best year yet, but how does it compare to past performance? Take a look. I've set up DS's 2007 numbers as the base system, and compare it to DS's 2006 numbers, and DS's numbers from its initial 2004 launch. Thus we can see that DS 2007 at 17 weeks is where DS 2006 was at 20.4 weeks (May 23, 2006), and where launch DS was at 31.9 weeks (July 9, 2005).

Or maybe we want to compare Wii's first new year to how DS did in its (2005) and PS2 in its (2001). Or compare X360's 2007 with Xbox's 2003.

Evlar

Banned
Given this comment from sinobi:
Jonnyram said:
Brain Age 2, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc all coming up the charts.
Pokemon, Tamagotchi, Digimon, and other kid's games all selling well.
Combined with the pre-Golden Week chart... If those titles move up it's possible we could see an all-Nintendo top 20.

D.Lo

JoshuaJSlone said:
Wii comparisons: At 22 weeks, Wii is where GameCube was at 96.3 weeks (July 15, 2003), where DS was at 22.5 weeks (May 4, 2005), where PS2 was at 20.2 weeks (July 17, 2000), and where PSP was at 52.5 weeks (December 7, 2005).
Wii is beating DS. Holy crap.

Whenever production finally ramps up they are going to crush everything in their path.

Seriously, this generation has the potential to be the most one-sided in history. It would be like last gen if the GCN and Xbox only sold as much as the Dreamcast. Or the 16-bit generation if it was just SNES vs PC Engine vs Neo Geo.

apotema

The Sphinx said:
Given this comment from sinobi:

Combined with the pre-Golden Week chart... If those titles move up it's possible we could see an all-Nintendo top 20.

We will see a Nintendo Top 20.... It all depends on how much MHP2 sells

D.Lo said:
Wii is beating DS. Holy crap.

Whenever production finally ramps up they are going to crush everything in their path.

Seriously, this generation has the potential to be the most one-sided in history. It would be like last gen if the GCN and Xbox only sold as much as the Dreamcast. Or the 16-bit generation if it was just SNES vs PC Engine vs Neo Geo.

I don't think anything will ever be as one-sided as the NES vs...um...what was the NES's competition again?

Satter

Banned
Gekkonidae said:

After coming off two VERY successful generations, that's precisely what they believed, IMO. They (mainly Kutaragi) became too over confidant. They came out with a format that the majority of mainstream consumers didn't need or want at the moment, and they thought they could get away with charging a high price for it.

The thing you have to remember is that at this moment in the PS2's life there were no games either. However, besides coming off of the success of the PS1, DVD was really taking off. The PS2 didn't have that many "great" games during the first 6 to 8 months. But for the cost of having the next generation Playstation and a DVD player, they were right on the money.

Tf53

I just realized this, but holy shit, the Wii and the PS3 are actually equal in sales!

If we take a close look at the sales figures, 102k and 12k, we see that the only difference is the zero. AND ZERO IS NOTHING! NOTHING SEPARATES WII & PS3 IN JAPAN!!! OMG!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If the software numbers are about equal for MC, then Wii Sports sold over 60K..which means Wii hardware is going to probably break 110K...which means Wii might gain a 100K over PS3 THIS WEEK ALONE.

D.Lo

Leondexter said:
I don't think anything will ever be as one-sided as the NES vs...um...what was the NES's competition again?
NES never caught on in Europe, and it's competition included a bunch of proprietary PCs like the Spectrum and C64. Between them, the Master System, 7800, and early PC Engine in Japan, the NES 'only' had about 70% market share worldwide.

fanduck said:
Do the japanese like 3d mario games? It's always seemed like those games have done relatively poorly in Japan compared to America.

Isn't SM64DS among the console's million sellers?

fanduck said:
All those same points could be said for a 3d Mario game in America too, yet they sold much much better in America. They sold well in Japan, just not nearly as well. I just wonder if maybe Japan doesn't like the 3d games as much as Americans.

N64/GCN had triple the install base in the US compared to Japan.

fanduck said:
I was simply pointing out that those weren't good excuses for the game not selling as well in Japan as they did in America since they were released in the exact same circumstances.

N64 sold close to 20 million in the US, compared to 5 million in Japan.

GameCube sold 12 million in the US, compared to 4 million in Japan.

These are the exact same circumstances?

Gekkonidae said:

Sony's strategy as articulated last year was to court third parties less aggressively and instead focus on the first party. Well where is it? Their justification for losing GTA was that first party would make up for it. Well show it to us.

It's ironic that Sony is making so many mistakes which doomed Nintendo over the past two gens.

In other words, PS3 is Sony's N64: difficult to develop for. I have always said that one conseguence of the PS3's composition would have been a lot of delays. It was inevitable, because of the costs and the intricate architecture.

WARCOCK

Banned
Tf53 said:
I just realized this, but holy shit, the Wii and the PS3 are actually equal in sales!

If we take a close look at the sales figures, 102k and 12k, we see that the only difference is the zero. AND ZERO IS NOTHING! NOTHING SEPARATES WII & PS3 IN JAPAN!!! OMG!

w0rd. Euler in the making.

Uncooked

Banned
Satter said:
After coming off two VERY successful generations, that's precisely what they believed, IMO. They (mainly Kutaragi) became too over confidant. They came out with a format that the majority of mainstream consumers didn't need or want at the moment, and they thought they could get away with charging a high price for it.

The thing you have to remember is that at this moment in the PS2's life there were no games either. However, besides coming off of the success of the PS1, DVD was really taking off. The PS2 didn't have that many "great" games during the first 6 to 8 months. But for the cost of having the next generation Playstation and a DVD player, they were right on the money.

That "we could sell 5 million without games" quote is insulting in my opinion. They basically said we the consumers are all a bunch of idiots who would spend $600 on something that had no real function (In terms of video gaming), simlpy because it was Sony made. I hope they realize what that arrogance has done for them.

fanduck

AdmiralViscen said:
Isn't SM64DS among the console's million sellers?
That's a good point too. I hadn't really thought about SM64DS, maybe the japanese just loved the hell out of those minigames :) Sadly, that's truly why I bought SM64 DS!

AdmiralViscen said:
N64/GCN had triple the install base in the US compared to Japan.

N64 sold close to 20 million in the US, compared to 5 million in Japan.

GameCube sold 12 million in the US, compared to 4 million in Japan.

These are the exact same circumstances?

Yeah, We had already gone over that, I didn't realize there was such a difference between US and Japan's Nintendo console sales, but that makes sense.

Curious though, most consoles tend to sell better in America than in Japan, but DS and Wii seem to be the exception (Wii is about equal).

D.Lo

fanduck said:
Curious though, most consoles tend to sell better in America than in Japan, but DS and Wii seem to be the exception (Wii is about equal).
THat's what makes the Wii so lethal. Even when they failed in Japan and Europe, Nintendo still put on a pretty good show in the US. The N64 was about even with the PS1 in the US (or even ahead in software sales) until the end of 1999.

But now that Japan and Europe are Nintendoland (Japan's in the bag, and Europe's as good as if the DS shows us anything) there's nothing stopping them.

Xeke

Banned
So how long before Nintendogs shows up for Wii? Wouldn't surprise me if Europe got it first after the DS versions success there.

Gekkonidae said:
How come 2004 is missing?
It's not; since years rarely begin on the same day as the beginning of a week of sales tracking, the begin date for the year will vary a bit one way or the other. The 2004 line is the one starting 2003-12-29.

2002 is missing, though, so I suppose the first few weeks of Xbox would do better than X360's counterpart weeks this year.

Avrum

All this talk just makes me wonder where Nintendo could be at if supply constraints weren't an issue. I mean, where are they at right now? Back when Nintendo's quarterly was released someone stated that with Media Create sales during that period the system was at around 6.5 million and that was what, two weeks are so ago? Would they be that close to 7 million already?

And there is still so much damn 2007 left to go. Insane.

Jirotrom

Avrum said:
All this talk just makes me wonder where Nintendo could be at if supply constraints weren't an issue. I mean, where are they at right now? Back when Nintendo's quarterly was released someone stated that with Media Create sales during that period the system was at around 6.5 million and that was what, two weeks are so ago? Would they be that close to 7 million already?

And there is still so much damn 2007 left to go. Insane.
I dont care what anyone says...Nintendo is causing the supply issues themselves, on purpose. The supply issue creates demand for them...if an Item constantly sells out people want it more, if there was a little interest before the sell out there is even more after the sell out...look at the DS which has been supply constrained for nearly 2 years in Japan. The sales have gotten even higher....Nintendo has finally figured out how to sell a product and how to really work the market.

Jirotrom said:
I dont care what anyone says...Nintendo is causing the supply issues themselves, on purpose.
There are more Wiis available than any near-launch console ever. DS is being produced at a higher rate than any Nintendo system ever.

birdchili

JoshuaJSlone said:
Sure, but financially it would be easier for Wii to reach $100 than for PS3 to reach $300.

the price difference would have been so much less important if the systems had launched like this though. it's the "little luxuries" phenomenon methinks - people are willing to 'splurge' on extravagences that are actually within their budget, but at a certain point the bargain is more important. that leading six was only one of sony's problems though.

at this point so many other factors are in play (software momemtum, general buzz) it's going to be very tricky. sony will have a bunch of big name (third party) sequels that started development when it was the heir apparent to the console crown, but it's going to have to compete with the 360 (getting many of these same games now) which will surely be marketing in full force.

Gekkonidae said:
I think what's most shocking was how unprepared Sony was in terms of Software. None of Sony's first party titles are anywhere near ready. .

i'm hardly a ninja programmer, but the thought of programming for the cell makes my neurons hurt.

i assume sony is holding back news at this point for a (fall?) marketing blitz of epic proportions, but japan seems massively out of reach now.

nli10

Tobor said:

All they had to do was make disk 2 BluRay and fill it with HD content - Instant bragging rights disk. Imagine everyone who bought GOWII owning a disk they longed to play but couldn't without investing in Sony - major missed oportunity in my book.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Jonnyram said:
According to sinobi...

DS sold more than 200k again (lol)
FF12RW 100k
Yoshi 50k
NSMB 45k
Brain Age 2, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc all coming up the charts.
Pokemon, Tamagotchi, Digimon, and other kid's games all selling well.

Momotaro Dentetsu 60k
Mario vs DK2 40k (200k total)
GS4 35k
PdP DS 30k
English Training 2 200k total
Layton 500k total

Wii 80k
Super Paper Mario 90k
BBA Wii 60k (100k total)

PSP 40k
PS2/PS3 not budging much

That brings Gyakuten Saiban 4 to 370,000 Sold.

Pretty good for being the highest selling game ever in the series.

Jirotrom said:
I dont care what anyone says...Nintendo is causing the supply issues themselves, on purpose. The supply issue creates demand for them...if an Item constantly sells out people want it more, if there was a little interest before the sell out there is even more after the sell out...look at the DS which has been supply constrained for nearly 2 years in Japan. The sales have gotten even higher....Nintendo has finally figured out how to sell a product and how to really work the market.

Would people stop throwing this theory around please? It doesn't make sense economically or technologically.

Believe it or not, even "five year old tech" can only be produced as quickly as your production lines are capable of making it. And building new production facilities takes time and resources. If you had asked anyone a year and a half ago when these resources were first being allocated if 200k-300k a week would be enough to meet worldwide demand for the Wii, they would have said yes, which is why that is the amount Nintendo allocated, not because they presciently knew that it would be more, and wanted to "create demand." They're still producing much more than their competitors.

From an economics perspective, the idea that you can create demand by limiting supply is so daft that I don't even know how to debunk it. Think about it this way: How many people do you know bought the Wii because it was sold out? Nintendo benefits from a larger install base to sell games to, if they could produce more systems they would sell more games. If you can't understand these ideas, look up a basic text on Macroeconomics. I hate to sound condescending, but I just can't stand misinformation being perpetuated in the face of data that suggests to the contrary.

What i want. What i really really want, more than a cure for aids and the wiping of third world debt is an animated gif of the japan console sales pacman since the wii's release, so i can see his giant nintendo face chomping down on everything. With maybe a little thought bubble saying something like 'wow they all taste like chicken'. Then i think, my life would be complete and i could ascend to heaven upon a lakitu cloud.

Jirotrom

Gekkonidae said:
Would people stop throwing this theory around please? It doesn't make sense economically or technologically.

Believe it or not, even "five year old tech" can only be produced as quickly as your production lines are capable of making it. And building new production facilities takes time and resources. If you had asked anyone a year and a half ago when these resources were first being allocated if 200k-300k a week would be enough to meet worldwide demand for the Wii, they would have said yes, which is why that is the amount Nintendo allocated, not because they presciently knew that it would be more, and wanted to "create demand." They're still producing much more than their competitors.

From an economics perspective, the idea that you can create demand by limiting supply is so daft that I don't even know how to debunk it. Think about it this way: How many people do you know bought the Wii because it was sold out? Nintendo benefits from a larger install base to sell games to, if they could produce more systems they would sell more games. If you can't understand these ideas, look up a basic text on Macroeconomics. I hate to sound condescending, but I just can't stand misinformation being perpetuated in the face of data that suggests to the contrary.

Not many because its sold out but I know people who bought a Wii because they saw one. When you here about a hot item enough and you may have some interest in that area it can cause you to purchase especially when compared to the other system prices. this wont work for everything but because the system has unique software it helps. I have friends who never buy launch systems and even people coming into our store to purchase them calling there friends to hurry up and come to the story and purchase one before they are gone. there is no denying that those people would be a little more lax if the supply was there.

Im sure Nintendo has there share of production problems but you cant tell me there isn't an orchestration to their supply shipments...they are selling a shit load but at a high rate. In march our store didn't receive a wii for the last 2 weeks yet a few other stores had special Wii Sundays. Releasing batches in groupings rather than a constant flow everyday or every 3 days is the way to go sales wise. I just don't believe a store full of a hot item on the shelf sells as fast as a store with maybe 5 of those hot items on the shelf. Also this helps Nintendo save on production because they don't over produce, they maximize money expenditure and profit gain.

As you said they had a set number of production facilities and it cost money to make more. The have the resources to make many more production facilities but they wont do so in some big blast because it reduces their overall profits. They increase shipments every month but ever so slightly to make sure nothing is waisted. Its a good business model....so maybe I was a little blunt before but that is my general idea of what I see going on. People laughed at the analyst who thinks demand for wii will keep up until 2009, even I did, but the more I look at the sales data for DS and how Nintendo is now selling there products the more I think of it as being a possibility. To make matters even better for them word of mouth is with them now more than ever.

Top Bottom