• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

The Sphinx said:
Well, even at the very peak of Sony domination Nintendo still had their unassailable fortress in the handheld market, where they mustered their strength and plotted revenge...

Ah, that he said 'one platform' instead of 'one corporation.'

ownt

Epigamic

schuelma said:
... 5.25 U.S NPD and a guess of 500K Canadian.

Not that it makes a large difference to the final estimation, but I think your estimate of Canadian sales is a bit off. My memory of Canadian NPD numbers is a bit fuzzy, but I recall the general rule is that Canadian sales = 7-8% of US sales. However, for at least post-holiday sales, while the Wii was around 7%, the 360 and PS3 were tracking well below. Canadian shoppers appear to be more price sensitive than their US counterparts.

stewacide

Epigamic said:
Not that it makes a large difference to the final estimation, but I think your estimate of Canadian sales is a bit off. My memory of Canadian NPD numbers is a bit fuzzy, but I recall the general rule is that Canadian sales = 7-8% of US sales. However, for at least post-holiday sales, while the Wii was around 7%, the 360 and PS3 were tracking well below. Canadian shoppers appear to be more price sensitive than their US counterparts.

I haven't seen where they've been released since early this year, but NPD Canada numbers showed, as you said, a much larger share for the Wii in Canada (signifigantly more than PS3 and 360 combined, with the PS3 in particular a total non-player).

Of course Canadians can only buy what Nintendo will ship (still totally sold out).

GaimeGuy said:
French is your first language, isn't it? :D

Well, to put my two cents in, "manoeuvred" is not a recent word, but I'm pretty sure that it is largely accepted in the English language. However, a little look at his etymology shows that it indeed comes from the french.
In fact, I think that it would have been totally french of him to write "manœuvred" :D .

cvxfreak

Roders5 said:
I'm late as hell but....

wii-rox.jpg

:lol

KINGMOKU

I got a heads up from a abuddy on Sony's new spin tactic. No more revenue, no more metric ton, its gone purly to size in an attempt to spin;

DSL 285,123
Wii 101,320
PSP 35,172
PS2 14,815
PS3
sizematters2.jpg

Xbox360 3,205
GC 394
GBM 340
GBASP 302
DS 69
GBA 11

Holy shit, who saw this coming?

Look at those numbers! Obviously, the PS3 is selling the best in Japan. Its numbers dwarf everything else!

Wii was a fad, as predicted.

Sharp

Hey, fellow Nintendo fans, you don't have to hump the sales thread anymore, Wii got some games today.

I'm as shocked as you are, believe me.

KINGMOKU

Sharp said:
Hey, fellow Nintendo fans, you don't have to hump the sales thread anymore, Wii got some games today.

Screw that.

I'm humping these ****ing threads dry.

Deku

Banned
Sharp said:

The humping appears to be all over the place. And I'm not surprised you're on a high horse.

Sharp

What sins did you commit in your past life?

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
DS-2007 is still tracking about 650k above DS-2006.

Still on course to beat 2006's record hardware sales.

Sharp

Deku said:
The humping appears to be all over the place. And I'm not surprised you're on a high horse.

Sharp

What sins did you commit in your past life?
Sorry about that, I got the tag for signing up. In 150 posts my opinion won't be any more or less valid, though. Just put through trial by fire.

Everyone was sad yesterday because of crappy Square exclusives, which was why I thought the sales thread had such high activity (well, that and Golden Week). But why bother when there are actual games announced? It just doesn't make sense. Sales joy is a poor imitation of the real thing.

Sharp said:
Sorry about that, I got the tag for signing up. In 150 posts my opinion won't be any more or less valid, though. Just put through trial by fire.

Everyone was sad yesterday because of crappy Square exclusives, which was why I thought the sales thread had such high activity (well, that and Golden Week). But why bother when there are actual games announced? It just doesn't make sense. Sales joy is a poor imitation of the real thing.

Don't excuse yourself. When you are Junior it is obvious to be torturated by others members.

maxmars

Sharp said:
But why bother when there are actual games announced? It just doesn't make sense. Sales joy is a poor imitation of the real thing.

In this forum there are people who like to feast on sales data, you'll have to cope with it or just stay out. I guess it's the geek equivalent of discussing football results in bars/pubs. :lol

Personally I'm more excited about the games, but the madness ensuing from these threads can be enjoyable (NPD threads are a real treat).

Branduil

Neomoto said:
:lol @ Top 20 and 42/50. And holy shit at 285k DS and 100k Wii's again (and STILL it's a matter of pure lack of supply lol), at "The Wii has sold as much as the 360 and the PS3 put together. Twice." and "The Wii now has a 1.5 million unit lead". Not even Golden Week could do jack shit for ps3, it's over in Japan.

Seriously, I don't know how they do it but they just CAN'T stop being even more impressive than before.

It boggles the mind just how much one single company can change the course of a whole ****ing industry for more than 20 years and counting in more ways than one can remember. It's funny really, since they officially arn't competing with the others but instead they just take the whole ****ing market :lol And they are actually doing it singlehandidly with 1st party titles and such.

:lol yeah no games at all indeed, oh wait. Just in the last couple of days:

Namco Bandai has 37 titles in the works for next fiscal year (6 of them we know about) against 24 x360's and 23 ps3 games)
THQ has 11 titles in the works
Alone in the Dark (EDEN Games)
Spielberg's EA game (exclusive for Wii) (EA)
The Sims 2: Castaway Stories (EA)
The Simpsons (officially confirmed) (EA)
NBA Live 08 (EA)
Konami's Pawafuru Baseball (Konami)
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (Majesco)
New Koei game title tba
Soul Calibur Legends (Bandai Namco)
Project Witches (next-gen third person tactical combat game for PS3, 360, PC, and Wii)
Call of Heroes (PC RPG)
Ghost Squad (Sega, arcade real lightgun game)
Chocobo’s Mysterious Dungeon (Square Enix)

Not a week goes by without Wii getting new games lately. Seriously, I am not kidding (obviously not all high profile games but still). Again, the above list is just from the last couple of days!

BTW, how many exclusives did the ps3 get this week? Or since last month? Hell, since LAUNCH???

When was NBA Live announced?

Sharp

Cheesemeister said:
The Media Create OPs are powered by C#.
I suppose even C# can be twisted to the service of good.

maxmars said:
In this forum there are people who like to feast on sales data, you'll have to cope with it or just stay out. I guess it's the geek equivalent of discussing football results in bars/pubs. :lol

Personally I'm more excited about the games, but the madness ensuing from these threads can be enjoyable (NPD threads are a real treat).
I enjoy it as well, but it just seems forced at this point. Nobody's updating bar Nintendo fans imagining how Sony fans might react, if only they were posting. Which is, again, a poor imitation of the real thing.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Being a junior member in GAF is like being a free player in Hellgate: London according to Penny Arcade.
Nah, just joking... it's ten times worse.

maxmars said:

Yeah, I agree. The GAF is a place that could be very amusing, but it is necessary to "understand" some fondamental rules. The experience will teach you that anyway. In my opinion, be neutral versus all consoles and be patient is the best thing to behave and not only here....

Eteric Rice

Deku said:
wii-rox.jpg

The box in the back say woot? I'm guessing this is a Photoshop job.

It's not. It's from woot.com I think. They were selling PS3s in order to buy Wiis for their employees.

I shit you not, you'd have to dig around for the story, though.

haircut

Sharp said:
Well, there's no megaton right now so a thread of the first kind is out of the question... and it's hard to get excited about a game I know I'm not going to play.

Was Project Rygar supposed to be a PS3 exclusive? Do a lot of people really love the series (is it a killer app) and it just happens that I've never heard about it until now? That might be kind of fun.

Eteric Rice

haircut said:
Well, there's no megaton right now so a thread of the first kind is out of the question... and it's hard to get excited about a game I know I'm not going to play.

Was Project Rygar supposed to be a PS3 exclusive? Do a lot of people really love the series (is it a killer app) and it just happens that I've never heard about it until now? That might be kind of fun.

No, not really. It seems to be one of those games with a cult following, sort of like NiGHTS.

It sounds sort of like God of War. But it came out before God of War, so maybe it inspired God of War or something?

Sharp

Eteric Rice said:
No, not really. It seems to be one of those games with a cult following, sort of like NiGHTS.

It sounds sort of like God of War. But it came out before God of War, so maybe it inspired God of War or something?
All I knew about until today was the NES version. Great game.

Anyway, my point was that there is more to GAF than megatons and sales threads, even for the blind Nintendo follower. There are also games (however much GAF tries to ignore them) and it can be nice to get excited before the "first pics" thread, when I desperately scroll down past the actual images to judge based on dark10x's comments whether the graphics are good or not (they're not BTW), and then further to bask in the relieved laughter of non-Wii users and the "downgrade totals" and GCN comparison pics.

Yeah.

Innotech

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
It's not. It's from woot.com I think. They were selling PS3s in order to buy Wiis for their employees.

I remember it too.

Woot sold all these Ps3s at launch and used the proceeds to buy wiis for its employees.

Sharp said:

I would've been in these threads regardless of the "leader". It's a great time-waster at work, and it's nice to see and discuss market trends, and try to predict the future.

I'm sure there are some Nintendo fans here that want to gloat, but I'm guessing a great many of them don't care one way or the other. I'll always be a bit of a Nintendo fanboy, but this gen I'm more interested in what the 360 has, really. And I feel that the PS2 is arguably the greatest console of all time (it's hard to beat the SNES though).

So I think it's just your perceived impression of a bunch of Nintendo fans, simply because Nintendo happens to be the market leader in Japan at the moment. I'm betting it wasn't like this a year ago.

haircut

Sharp said:

Anyway, my point was that there is more to GAF than megatons and sales threads, even for the blind Nintendo follower. There are also games (however much GAF tries to ignore them) and it can be nice to get excited before the "first pics" thread, when I desperately scroll down past the actual images to judge based on dark10x's comments whether the graphics are good or not (they're not BTW), and then further to bask in the relieved laughter of non-Wii users and the "downgrade totals" and GCN comparison pics.

Yeah.
There are games, but if somebody isn't interested in them and isn't going to play them what's the point of trying to discuss them? Unless there's a leak (which only seems to happen with really high-profile games) you don't learn anything that wasn't in the original PR. And in a big environment like this people tend to come in, make an uninformed comment, and leave the thread... that just makes for boring reading.

For example the Katamari thread is basically a never ending onslaught of people complaining about the graphics... both boring and very counterintuitive. Threads about RPG's always devolve into discussions about how the fully automated playstyle of FF12 is the wave of the future and player input is obsolete... I guess if I agreed that would have been fun for a while.

But sales are different. They're always new. They attract stupid arguments. You can see irrational fanboys at their best (sometimes). Talking about games, on the other hand, will always be boring until FF13 loses exclusivity or changes platforms (for obvious reasons), or finally comes out on the PS3 (giving Sony fans a chance to gloat).

haircut said:
There are games, but if somebody isn't interested in them and isn't going to play them what's the point of trying to discuss them? Unless there's a leak (which only seems to happen with really high-profile games) you don't learn anything that wasn't in the original PR. And in a big environment like this people tend to come in, make an uninformed comment, and leave the thread... that just makes for boring reading.

For example the Katamari thread is basically a never ending onslaught of people complaining about the graphics... both boring and very counterintuitive. Threads about RPG's always devolve into discussions about how the fully automated playstyle of FF12 is the wave of the future and player input is obsolete... I guess if I agreed that would have been fun for a while.

But sales are different. They're always new. They attract stupid arguments. You can see irrational fanboys at their best (sometimes). Talking about games, on the other hand, will always be boring until FF13 loses exclusivity or changes platforms (for obvious reasons), or finally comes out on the PS3 (giving Sony fans a chance to gloat).

You've got a point. As much as I'm sure we all love playing the actual games, there's only so much you can talk about them when: a) You haven't played them; or b) You have played them. You're either going to talk about things that you don't know, or things that everybody knows. Whereas in sales discussions, speculation is always the name of the game, based on statistical data, trends, fanboy reasoning, and pretty graphs.

And who doesn't love pretty graphs?

At the graphs changing at 60 fps with 63 bit color at 720p?

If not, I'd say it's a sub-par experience.

The numbers/lists hold at a rock steady 60 fps, which is awesome, but they are monochrome. Oh well.

Sharp said:

I await more wonderful posts such as these from the poster named Sharp.

Sharp said:

Yeah.

I think it was pureauthor, but he argued in past MC thread that GAF is actually nothing compared to those at gamefaqs. Or something like that.

So yeah, GAF is all about sales age and megatons, primarilly. And news. Really great sources here.

iammeiam

Eteric Rice said:

I remember this because they'd put it up right before Christmas, with overnight shipping, so it wasn't too hard to find.

Blog post here, click on the PS3 pic for the Wii Rox pic.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but in retrospect it's kind of odd that Woot was one of the few select places to get a large number of 20GB units after launch.

AdmiralViscen said:
Ah, that he said 'one platform' instead of 'one corporation.'

ownt

glad you caught that =]

yep. PS2 has never owned the top 15-20 or so slots of the software charts, and Sony never had a significant portable or other such system that dominated concurrently with the PS2. This DS-Wii stranglehold is nearly unprecedented.

legend166

Xisiqomelir said:
Slightly OT, Japanese-developed software sells more than other software worldwide, right? Anyone have a source I could use for that?

I'd say, thanks to Nintendo, that's probably correct.

Edit: This is off topic, but does anyone keep a website which keeps track of NPD figures? I'm having an argument with an idiot on IGN as to why ioi's numbers are garbage.

Xisiqomelir

legend166 said:
Edit: This is off topic, but does anyone keep a website which keeps track of NPD figures? I'm having an argument with an idiot on IGN as to why ioi's numbers are garbage.

Got it covered.
No it's not THAT videogame charts

StevieP

Banned
ioi's numbers can be used as a rough guide, but not as an exact argument. They're certainly better than Next-Gen-Warz :lol

But there should be an NPD archive on here somewhere...

apujanata

JoshuaJSlone said:
2004 period: Matches
2005 period: Looks like it's 970 lower than what I have.
2006 period: Both DS and DSL match
2007 period: I think you've got your "Total DS" and "DSL" figures switched there.

I just found out the source of my inaccuracy. My 2004 and 2003 sales figures for DS are not using the actual result from weekly data, but is hard coded (using wrong data). I have adjusted my excel file accordingly, so there will be not big mistake in the future. Thanks for the confirmation, Joshua.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
StevieP said:
ioi's numbers can be used as a rough guide, but not as an exact argument. They're certainly better than Next-Gen-Warz :lol

But there should be an NPD archive on here somewhere...

next-gen-warz is horrible.

Top Bottom