• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

Vagabundo

DeaconKnowledge said:
We need to get a Wii vs. PS2 comparison chart going here.

I've seen them posted a few times in the MC threads, but my searching skills are crap.

EDIT: Short answer, Wii tracks the PS2's climb to heaven

Haunted

Vagabundo said:
EDIT: Short answer, Wii tracks the PS2's climb to heaven
Roi said:
nintendosalesfliyingg.gif

Neomoto said:
:p

The company stated that that's the number of titles in the works starting this fiscal year. What I think about how many will make it has nothing to do with it what so ever. And how can you be so sure they are counting region SKU's? It literally states:

I don't see mention of sku's, nor have I ever heard it like that from what I've seen, because I always hear the number of games in development that they'll release. Just like in the case of EA (on Wii titles which was correct we saw later), Ubisoft, Sega, Activision or Nintendo to name the ones on top of my head. Hell, even with THQ yesterday. Seems a little strange to say they are developing/releasing 11 titles ("SKU's"), which by your logic would mean 3-4 games while we already know about 6 of them.
it wouldn't change that the wii is getting more than the 360 or the ps3 either... so it seems a bit of a dead end argument.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DeaconKnowledge said:
We need to get a Wii vs. PS2 comparison chart going here.

I got this using JJS's graph maker:
ps2_wii.png

This does appear to have some sort of error though, since the PS2 has 20million units sold and the graph appears to just track until around 10million.

ziran

Roders5 said:
I'm late as hell but....

wii-rox.jpg
:lol

Neomoto said:
:lol @ Top 20 and 42/50. And holy shit at 285k DS and 100k Wii's again (and STILL it's a matter of pure lack of supply lol), at "The Wii has sold as much as the 360 and the PS3 put together. Twice." and "The Wii now has a 1.5 million unit lead". Not even Golden Week could do jack shit for ps3, it's over in Japan.

Seriously, I don't know how they do it but they just CAN'T stop being even more impressive than before.

It boggles the mind just how much one single company can change the course of a whole ****ing industry for more than 20 years and counting in more ways than one can remember. It's funny really, since they officially arn't competing with the others but instead they just take the whole ****ing market :lol And they are actually doing it singlehandidly with 1st party titles and such.
I agree. Not diminishing what Sony did, which was very significant, but, Nintendo's return to the top is far more impressive.

It took virtually every 3rd Party in Japan developing exclusively for Sony to break Nintendo's hold on the home market, but Nintendo is dominating with Wii on the strength of their 1st Party alone, which they also did with the DS in the beginning, which is just incredible!!

Over the last 10 years, Nintendo figured out a way to grow the industry again, restructured themselves internally, worked on new concepts in hw and sw, all the while remaining profitable, then came to market with a curve ball the competition didn't expect and had no defence to. Sony, and MS, have been completely out manoeuvred.

Not a week goes by without Wii getting new games lately. Seriously, I am not kidding (obviously not all high profile games but still).
I don't think there's going to be a problem for games selling Wii. Nintendo is adopting the same strategy they did with DS, relying heavily on its internal teams to create system sellers for the first couple of years while trying to convince as many 3rd Parties as possible. By the time Nintendo's releases have slowed, major 3rd Party games being greenlit now, will be being released (late 2008/early 2009).

Vinnk

Tiktaalik said:
I don't want to be branded as a PS3 defence force fanboy or anything, but how do we know that Ol' Reliable really is the same system since the beginning? Couldn't they just be putting a new system in the same spot every time they sell one? Or is there some discernible mark on the box that lets you know its the same system?

Hiro is a friend of mine and he tells me it is the same one. True, he could be pulling one over on me, but the sad look in his eyes as he says it makes me belive it's true.

On the positive PS3 front. My girlfriend and stayed at a "love hotel" in Fukuoka and they had one in our room. The interesting part was that the only game they had was Resistance. I don't know about you, but nothing puts me in the mood for luvin' quite like a good First Person Shooter.

Thraktor

Mingesium said:

Thanks, I've managed to complete the graph with all data available from the Sales Archive, and I've split it up by year so you can see the difference on a like-for-like basis.

MC_top10entry_yearly.png

It's fairly safe to say that in 2006 it was pretty much always more difficult to get into the top ten than in the equivalent week in 2005. 2007 doesn't seem to be the same jump over 2006 yet, but it's perhaps stayed more consistent than 2006 over the first few months.

The most interesting comparison is perhaps three weeks ago (ending 22/4), when the cut-off to get into the top 10 was 30,815. The equivalent week in 2005 needed only 5,000 sales to crack the chart, less than one sixth as much.

Vinnk said:
On the positive PS3 front. My girlfriend and stayed at a "love hotel" in Fukuoka and they had one in our room. The interesting part was that the only game they had was Resistance. I don't know about you, but nothing puts me in the mood for luvin' quite like a good First Person Shooter.

Vinnk's Village officially renamed Vinnk's Sexy Village.

birdchili

PantherLotus said:
5. Hype for DQS, FFCC, Opoona, and Dewey all growing. All 3rd party.

i'm more curious to see the original third-party wii stuff than i am to see a lot of the hyped first party titles... project o as well sounds great.

it's at the point where one can buy a wii for reasons *other* than nintendo games.

Vinnk said:
nothing puts me in the mood for luvin' quite like a good First Person Shooter.

hot.

(and hilarious)

Mardak

Here's the same top 10 software data for 2007.. by publisher. Suggestions for which others to show?

20070430.pub.png

Compared to by system..

20070430.png

mclem

Vinnk said:
On the positive PS3 front. My girlfriend and stayed at a "love hotel" in Fukuoka and they had one in our room.
You should suggest this to Hiro. He could branch out. It'd put "Ol' Reliable" into a whole new light.

Thraktor said:
Thanks, I've managed to complete the graph with all data available from the Sales Archive, and I've split it up by year so you can see the difference on a like-for-like basis.

MC_top10entry_yearly.png

It's fairly safe to say that in 2006 it was pretty much always more difficult to get into the top ten than in the equivalent week in 2005. 2007 doesn't seem to be the same jump over 2006 yet, but it's perhaps stayed more consistent than 2006 over the first few months.

The most interesting comparison is perhaps three weeks ago (ending 22/4), when the cut-off to get into the top 10 was 30,815. The equivalent week in 2005 needed only 5,000 sales to crack the chart, less than one sixth as much.

I've been dying to know this, thanks Thraktor.

You've done the media Create threads a great service.

test_account

XP-39C²
Vinnk said:

A better choice would be the Wii. The controller is long, hard and got vibration ;)

Parl

Mardak said:
Here's the same top 10 software data for 2007.. by publisher. Suggestions for which others to show?

Graph-Age specimen

Nintendo's first party software dominates the 11-50 more so than the top 10 normally, it seems. In this case, it's quantity as well as quality in order to do this. And Nintendo have loads of non-games with long legs, so they'd be more impressive if we had the top 50 software (which we did, didn't we?)

Saitou

Banned
test_account said:
A better choice would be the Wii. The controller is long, hard and got vibration ;)
REZ PS2 `trance controller is all anyone needs.

And it would work well in love hotels too.

So Wii will probably be passing PS2's Famitsu number soon (though again, that seems to be missing a few hundred thousand Sony sold online). At week 23 for PS2, sales have dropped from their launch high and will continue to get even lower, I presume due to stockpiling for the NA/EU launches later in the year. Anyway, the next week PS2 has that's over 70K (or 60K for that matter) is week 45: the week of 2001-01-01.
cvxfreak said:
Joshua, how long would it take the Wii to surpass PS2?
Now that's stretching the useful realities of estimation. :) They've started off pretty much the same, so I'm tempted to just say "As many weeks as PS2 has been out." Doing the math based on this week, though... (20.48M-2.37M) / (101.3K-14.8K) = about 209 weeks.
apujanata said:
I also didn't revise my total using yearly totals. I want to find out where I made a mistake. Can you please tell me where I made mistake, JoshuaJSlone ?

this is a yearly breakdown of my data.
2004 period: Matches
2005 period: Looks like it's 970 lower than what I have.
2006 period: Both DS and DSL match
2007 period: I think you've got your "Total DS" and "DSL" figures switched there.

The numbers you give seem close to right... so I'm not sure how you ended up with a number a full 100K too high earlier; adding error somewhere?
Clever Pun said:
I think the error is because he doesn't have media create data going back that far
Correct, the MC data online only goes back to the beginning of 2003, though offline I've got much of 2002 as well. I could try to make something up for the missing earlier weeks using the yearly totals and such, but I prefer to stick with what we really know. The most number wrangling I do is taking Famitsu's occasional two-week numbers and splitting them perfectly in half for the two weeks covered.

Thraktor

DeaconKnowledge said:
I've been dying to know this, thanks Thraktor.

You've done the media Create threads a great service.

No problem, I figure that since we don't get data for anything past the top 10, and the first few can vary hugely depending on what's released, it's probably the easiest way to determine if general software sales are on the up from year to year, to which the answer is a quite clear yes.

D.Lo

ziran said:
:lolI agree. Not diminishing what Sony did, which was very significant, but, Nintendo's return to the top is far more impressive.

It took virtually every 3rd Party in Japan developing exclusively for Sony to break Nintendo's hold on the home market, but Nintendo is dominating with Wii on the strength of their 1st Party alone, which they also did with the DS in the beginning, which is just incredible!!

Over the last 10 years, Nintendo figured out a way to grow the industry again, restructured themselves internally, worked on new concepts in hw and sw, all the while remaining profitable, then came to market with a curve ball the competition didn't expect and had no defence to. Sony, and MS, have been completely out manoeuvred.
This is the key sentence. The 3rd parties are lucky Nintendo doesn't seem to be vindictive, or some of them could be wiped off the face of the earth.

Eteric Rice

D.Lo said:
This is the key sentence. The 3rd parties are lucky Nintendo doesn't seem to be vindictive, or some of them could be wiped off the face of the earth.

Iwata is a loving and forgiving CEO...

Just make him an offer of earth and water, and all shall be forgiven.

[Nintex]

Eteric Rice said:
Iwata is a loving and forgiving CEO...

Just make him an offer of earth and water, and all shall be forgiven.
Iwata just knows what sells. He made one of the best selling GameCube games, that should be a indication. Many people thought he was going the "Yamauchi" route, he didn't he just made Nintendo's path profitable again. Lately alot of people have been ranting on Miyamoto after the interview, that he's given to much credit, I think the numbers that Mario, WiiSports are doing speak for themselves. Even if he isn't involved in development he still came up with the ideas for most if not all of those games.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
PS3 is ****ed - 12k during Golden Week.

Nintendo hardware sales accounted for 85.4% of all sales!

Can someone PM me last week's MC data (including DS/GBA breakdown). Thanks

Any of our stats gurus feel like taking the Wii worldwide numbers from Nintendo's fiscal report and adding April and Golden Week sales (and maybe an NPD estimate) to give us a rough idea of Wii worldwide at this point?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
BrodiemanTTR said:
Any of our stats gurus feel like taking the Wii worldwide numbers from Nintendo's fiscal report and adding April and Golden Week sales (and maybe an NPD estimate) to give us a rough idea of Wii worldwide at this point?

I'll try..I keep a spreadsheet going.

N.A- After March, 2.37M (My figure then verified by Nintendo)

Europe- After March 1.39M (Nintendo)
Australia- 80K after Marchish (official Australia numbers posted a bit ago)

Japan- After this week- 2.37M (Media Create)

So without any guesses, its at 6.212M

Now, let's project April

N.A- I think its reasonable to expect 400K based on so much anecdotal evidence of huge supplies

Europe- Again, a lot of evidence of big supply. I'm going with 300K, but it could be more.
Australia- maybe another 10K?

Soo..6.922M after April

For comparison's sake, PS3 is probably at a bit over 3M, and 360 would probably be at 9.4M.

So yeah...utter domination (and I might be conservative with my Wii estimates)

schuelma said:
I'll try..I keep a spreadsheet going.

N.A- After March, 2.37M (My figure then verified by Nintendo)

Europe- After March 1.39M (Nintendo)
Australia- 80K after Marchish (official Australia numbers posted a bit ago)

Japan- After this week- 2.37M (Media Create)

So without any guesses, its at 6.212M

Now, let's project April

N.A- I think its reasonable to expect 400K based on so much anecdotal evidence of huge supplies

Europe- Again, a lot of evidence of big supply. I'm going with 300K, but it could be more.
Australia- maybe another 10K?

Soo..6.922M after April

For comparison's sake, PS3 is probably at a bit over 3M, and 360 would probably be at 9.4M.

So yeah...utter domination (and I might be conservative with my Wii estimates)

I didn't think 360 sell through was quite that high yet. Granted I don't have any hard stats to back it up, but maybe someone out there does?

Kafel

Banned
Can someone please tell me what PS3 games sold more than 500 000 copies ?

( off-topic : and same question in the USA if possible )

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Clever Pun said:
I didn't think 360 sell through was quite that high yet. Granted I don't have any hard stats to back it up, but maybe someone out there does?

Well, we have good stats from N.A and Japan- I have the 360 at 5.79 in N.A after March ( with 5.25 U.S NPD and a guess of 500K Canadian. Then throw in another 250K for April and you're a bit over 6M.

Then Japan is 358K.

The hard part is of course Europe- I'm saying about 2.8M, which may seem high but I'm trying to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt.

Finally, 168K in Australia.

Neomoto

In Japan there where 410.097 Wii's sold since the end of N's fiscal year (5 weeks). Oh, and during the same time there where 958.101 DS's sold in Japan (by Media Create tracking). So I'd guess Wii's ltd should be very close to 7 million (if it hasn't already crossed that).

Kafel said:
Can someone please tell me what PS3 games sold more than 500 000 copies ?)
No ps3 game is even close to 500k in Japan.

Link

The Autumn Wind
JoshuaJSlone said:
So Wii will probably be passing PS2's Famitsu number soon (though again, that seems to be missing a few hundred thousand Sony sold online). At week 23 for PS2, sales have dropped from their launch high and will continue to get even lower, I presume due to stockpiling for the NA/EU launches later in the year. Anyway, the next week PS2 has that's over 70K (or 60K for that matter) is week 45: the week of 2001-01-01.
Once this holiday season rolls around, I wonder how far ahead of the PS2 the Wii will be. Shortages and having to launch in other territories really stunted the PS2's sales in Japan during holiday 2001.

schuelma said:
Well, we have good stats from N.A and Japan- I have the 360 at 5.79 in N.A after March ( with 5.25 U.S NPD and a guess of 500K Canadian. Then throw in another 250K for April and you're a bit over 6M.

Then Japan is 358K.

The hard part is of course Europe- I'm saying about 2.8M, which may seem high but I'm trying to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt.

Finally, 168K in Australia.

thanks - 9.4M seems a lot more reasonable now.

Xavien

Clever Pun said:
thanks - 9.4M seems a lot more reasonable now.
Even so, at the rate the Wii is selling and being 2.4M or less behind the 360, is there anyway to estimate how long it would take for the Wii to overtake the 360 worldwide? 2 months? maybe 3?

Xavien said:
Even so, at the rate the Wii is selling and being 2.4M or less behind the 360, is there anyway to estimate how long it would take for the Wii to overtake the 360 worldwide? 2 months? maybe 3?

2.4 months.

;) That was entirely unscientific. But if you think about it, we can almost guarantee that the Wii is selling at least a million units per month. With production either already increased or ramping up, we should be seeing increased output already or within the next month or so. So it literally could be in just 2 or 3 months.

I would probably say closer to 3 though. The 360 will get some sales as well, but not much to offset the incredible rate of Wii sales.

Xisiqomelir

Slightly OT, Japanese-developed software sells more than other software worldwide, right? Anyone have a source I could use for that?

Kafel

Banned
Neomoto said:
No ps3 game is even close to 500k in Japan.

Thx. Well I remembered that speech from Bandai-Namco's boss and now I see why Gundam Musou is being ported to X360 in USA.

laserbeam

Banned
Kafel said:
Thx. Well I remembered that speech from Bandai-Namco's boss and now I see why Gundam Musou is being ported to X360 in USA.

At the moment the PS3 in japan is if lucky pushing 50,000 Units of Software a Month and thats not per title thats all titles combined.

Kafel said:

Yeah, Gundam Musou is just barely over 300,000 in Japan. Which is why they now have a crapton of games in development for the Wii.

test_account

XP-39C²
MrSardonic said:
PS3 is ****ed - 12k during Golden Week.

Nintendo hardware sales accounted for 85.4% of all sales!

Can someone PM me last week's MC data (including DS/GBA breakdown). Thanks

But PS3 sales went up in the last chart and Wii sales went down compared to last week. Is Nintendo doomed? :(

"One Company strong, and the rest weak."- Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is getting ridiculous. This type of one-corporation dominance hasn't been seen since the 8-bit days.

Xavien

Miniboss1232 said:
2.4 months.

;) That was entirely unscientific. But if you think about it, we can almost guarantee that the Wii is selling at least a million units per month. With production either already increased or ramping up, we should be seeing increased output already or within the next month or so. So it literally could be in just 2 or 3 months.

I would probably say closer to 3 though. The 360 will get some sales as well, but not much to offset the incredible rate of Wii sales.
ok, thanks for that :)

it definitely seems as if the wii will overtake the 360, but so soon makes me go wow

Kafel said:
Can someone please tell me what PS3 games sold more than 500 000 copies ?

( off-topic : and same question in the USA if possible )

I hope none, as i´ve made a bet with someone from another board, that NO PS3-game of 2007 will sell more than 500.000 ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AdmiralViscen said:
Or since PS2.

Wii is tracking in line with PS2, PS3 is tracking behind GameCube, and Xbox 360 is tracking behind XBOX. So, actually, the Wii is dominating Japan even more than the PS2 did. :lol

Evlar

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Or since PS2.
Well, even at the very peak of Sony domination Nintendo still had their unassailable fortress in the handheld market, where they mustered their strength and plotted revenge...

Top Bottom