• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Miniboss1232 said:
soon.jpg

I just wanted that to be posted again. :D

I'm sorry, maybe I am missing something, what is so funny about that pic?

I mean, I see the ugly cat, but otherwise?

Uncooked

Banned
Vieo said:
What are the chances of FFXIII bombing and Squarenix bringing the main FF games back to Nintendo consoles?

As in the game sucking or as in there not being enough PS3 owners out there to make Square a good profit?

capslock said:
I'm sorry, maybe I am missing something, what is so funny about that pic?

I mean, I see the ugly cat, but otherwise?

The cat, in all his evil ways, is biding his time in the shadows until he can wreak vengeance upon that which has invaded his territory.

Neomoto

Michan said:
Eddz is banned, but I'll update the Mario chart this evening, although I'll probably need reminding.
moku said:
marioupdate.jpg

There ya go.
Awesome! (not that Eddz is banned but the update ;))

Maybe this picture can be aplied again?

soon.jpg

? :lol I doubt it though, but it could get close.

Saitou

Banned
Goddamnit, stop hotlinking my image before I turn it into hot midget pronz.

I have a stack of those pics juuuuuust ready for the double combo of tomorrow.

When all is said and done, I wouldn't be surprised at all if NSMB ended up passing the original. It's already 2/3 of the way there and the DS has a lot of life left in it. A few holidays and a price drop should make it possible.

Remember, the game came out barely more than a year ago. That's incredible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Michan said:
Ewwwww.

Eddz's ones were much nicer.

mario_230606.png

(Old chart)

Eddz's are nicer but they're old and have less information. I'm just going to do a PSD file in Eddz style with Moku's information and then that way when someone wants an update we won't have any trouble font matching.

Neomoto

Stumpokapow said:
Eddz's are nicer but they're old and have less information. I'm just going to do a PSD file in Eddz style with Moku's information and then that way when someone wants an update we won't have any trouble font matching.
Not to mention that the chart actually uses... ioi's numbers. :O

Neomoto said:
Not to mention that the chart actually uses... ioi's numbers. :O

But he doesn't make a secret of that - and he's apologized many times for it. At least we have some kind of comparison to make, whether it's accurate or not. These charts are more fun than anything and shouldn't be taken with as much scrutiny as typical sales threads.

I'm sure if we had better numbers to compare to that Moku would use them. I actually prefer his chart.

I think the Wii is probably going to get DQX and maybe Kingdom Hearts 3, that much is becoming more clear ... but I also think FF: CC will become its own franchise more and more like the main "FF" games anyway.

It already sounds like it, with FF:CC on the Wii apparently being more story/single player driven. And a lot of the FF9 is supposedly working on FF: CC.

Saitou

Banned
soundwave05 said:
I think the Wii is probably going to get DQX, that much is becoming more clear ... but I also think FF: CC will become its own franchise more and more like the main "FF" games anyway.

It already sounds like it, with FF:CC on the Wii apparently being more story/single player driven. And a lot of the FF9 is supposedly working on FF: CC.
I'd love if SE dropped FF from the title and it subsequently became its own franchise. Sort of how the Mana games started out.

Xavien

Kenka said:
Actually quite high. If you consider the exceptionnal sales trend we live now, it's just a matter of time. It's pretty safe to say that FF XIV will be on Wii. Maybe some people are happy with and some aren't. Bt let's face it. It's very likely.

Begin the Train! :lol :lol

i kid...

The chances of FF14 being on Wii is almost certain at this point, FF13 on the PS3 will probably cause a gundabump on a larger scale at this point, chances are high that it'll be the worse selling main series FF game ever.

Like the gamecube before it, 2 games will not save a system, especially when it costs $600.

At this point, its not if, but when the main FF series comes to the Wii.

Xavien said:
Begin the Train! :lol :lol

i kid...

The chances of FF14 being on Wii is almost certain at this point, FF13 on the PS3 will probably cause a gundabump on a larger scale at this point, chances are high that it'll be the worse selling main series FF game ever.

Like the gamecube before it, 2 games will not save a system, especially when it costs $600.

At this point, its not if, but when the main FF series comes to the Wii.

14 on Wii? :lol Fat chance if Kitase will have anything to do with it.

I dunno even know if the future there will be one "main" FF series anymore. It sounds like they're going to set several games in the FF13 world, and then you have FF: CC, which quite frankly sounds like it could also be a numbered FF too if Square-Enix wanted it to be.

It's not like Nintendo really even needs the main FF games at this point. They do more than just fine in Japan without it. FF7 Remake on the Wii would probably be big, but I guess that's more significant from a symbolic P.O.V. since that was "the one that got away" from Nintendo.

I'm not sure if FF14 will even happen this gen, it may be moved into the next-next-gen and they just make games set in the FF13 universe and FF:CC/remakes for this gen.

Kenka

Saitou said:
It'll be the first game ever to span six DVDs.

You must be joking, right ? RIGHT ? :lol

SPM should reach 500 k easily and (it is obviously mad) could reach the million mark. There's no word for such performance. It is beyond my understanding.

When is an FFXXIII game coming to the Wii. I know it's coming but SE is such a tight ass bitch regarding new media and announcements, especially at that SE party.

Neomoto

Forgotten Ancient said:
But he doesn't make a secret of that - and he's apologized many times for it. At least we have some kind of comparison to make, whether it's accurate or not. These charts are more fun than anything and shouldn't be taken with as much scrutiny as typical sales threads.

I'm sure if we had better numbers to compare to that Moku would use them. I actually prefer his chart.
Heh I was just kidding. Media Create or Famitsu would have been better but the general idea is the same nonetheless like you said :) I'd loved to see more charts like these in general btw. Would be fun to compare Dragon Quest main titles to DQ IX or something like this (or FF, or Mario Kart, or Zelda, or...).

shaft said:
so when are the numbers? it's 23:40 here in netherlands.
Are you living in a different Netherlands than me? o_O :)P 23:14 when you made that post)

soundwave05 said:
[...]It's not like Nintendo really even needs the main FF games at this point. They do more than just fine in Japan without it.[...]
I think most mean that Square-Enix is the one that needs FF to be on Nintendo platforms, or there biggest series will take quite a beating in the near future.

Terrell

Saitou said:
I'd love if SE dropped FF from the title and it subsequently became its own franchise. Sort of how the Mana games started out.
Well, if it sells in higher numbers than the one on GameCube, I wouldn't doubt it, they know at that point that the game is appreciated in its own right and the more action-oriented direction seperates it enough from FF to make dropping the name valid.

Besides, subtitles on subtitles is a bit much. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers? Doesn't quite roll of the tongue, does it?

Sharp

I have to wonder whether everyone talking about how the Wii's going to get mainline FF's etc. has completely forgotten about the recent SE party thread. Square, at least, has shown that it is perfectly willing to create new games for "dead" systems (a la PSP in Japan) even though they can provably make more money on systems like the DS. Don't get your hopes up, though to be honest I'd prefer Mistwalker support to Square (and we know that's not going to happen).

Terrell

Sharp said:
I have to wonder whether everyone talking about how the Wii's going to get mainline FF's etc. has completely forgotten about the recent SE party thread. Square, at least, has shown that it is perfectly willing to create new games for "dead" systems (a la PSP in Japan) even though they can provably make more money on systems like the DS. Don't get your hopes up, though to be honest I'd prefer Mistwalker support to Square (and we know that's not going to happen).
Yes, because remakes and spinoffs on PSP is entirely parallel to the fate of the main numbered franchise. EXACTLY parallel.

Going back to the Mario charts. I think it's incredible that SMB is still, after all these years, the best selling game of all time. Over 40 million according to Wikipedia: Linkie. (And Wikipedia had those numbers long before ioi stole them so don't accuse me of using bad numbers.) And in over twenty years, no other game has even come close to matching its numbers. And honestly, I don't think any game ever will.

Dragona Akehi said:
Incorrect. In the heat of their NA/EU launch shortage pains in late 2000, Famitsu has this for PS2's extreme lows:

2000-11-20: 8,136
2000-11-27: 3,306

Very different circumstances, of course.

For what it's worth, I think that second week is the only time PS1 (6,820) outsold PS2.

Sharp said:

Eh, PSP got ports of a not so powerful franchise and a questionable brawler and the DS still got all the good stuff, including new IPs and a mainline FF sequel.

milanbaros

Member?
Gekkonidae said:
Going back to the Mario charts. I think it's incredible that SMB is still, after all these years, the best selling game of all time. Over 40 million according to Wikipedia: Linkie. (And Wikipedia had those numbers long before ioi stole them so don't accuse me of using bad numbers.) And in over twenty years, no other game has even come close to matching its numbers. And honestly, I don't think any game ever will.

Depending on how long the wii comes packed with wii sports... Its a long shot but I imagine it will be something like that if the record is ever broken.

Whats wii sports at WW now? 5m?

Kenka

Terrell said:
Yes, because remakes and spinoffs on PSP is entirely parallel to the fate of the main numbered franchise. EXACTLY parallel.

Porting Star Ocean to PSP is not exactly just producing another random suck-off. It's clearly a way to keep the system alive (and sell on it). SE will support the PSP also in the future. The PS3....not sure.

Gekkonidae said:
Wii Sports might.

Kenka

Gekkonidae said:
And in over twenty years, no other game has even come close to matching its numbers. And honestly, I don't think any game ever will.

We say the same thing about Just Fontaine's record but let's be a bit more careful about our predictions OK ? SMB successor is probably charting just in front of your eyes. It's called
Wii Sports
:D

EDIT : Chicyclist was faster than me :(

MasterMFauli said:
yeah, when kitase says "hey, let´s sell 500k copies of FF14 on PS3 instead of 3 million" then SE will do so.

Um, no.

Um, yes. That's basically been the case with all his games. It doesn't matter if it's common ****ing logic that it'll sell way better on Wii/DS, Kitase doesn't want ANYTHING touching Nintendo systems. A FFVII remake, Agito, and Dissidia would unarguably sell so much better on the DS, maybe even millions... yet Dissidia is on the PSP, Agito is on CELL PHONES, and instead of moving on with a FFVII remake for the DS (which would not only make sense, but would sell crazy too), SE decides to remake IV, which can already be played on the system. :|

So... in short, no, even if it would clearly sell better, whatever Kitase says goes, and I can sure as hell tell you now he won't have any of his property gracing a Ninty system.

Saitou

Banned
Sharp said:
SE's business model in the past used to be make gangbusting monies on high profile, high budget games and use that monies to fuel low profile, low budget, extremely awesome games (I'm thinking about profiles, allright).

I fully expect them to invert that model from now on, making money on new sightseeing games (did I just call them games? O Lord, I am far gone) to fuel their high profile, high budget, money sinkhole games.

CATS AND DOGS, LIVING TOGETHER

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
JoshuaJSlone said:
Incorrect. In the heat of their NA/EU launch shortage pains in late 2000, Famitsu has this for PS2's extreme lows:

2000-11-20: 8,136
2000-11-27: 3,306

Very different circumstances, of course.

For what it's worth, I think that second week is the only time PS1 (6,820) outsold PS2.

Very nice, thanks for looking that up :)

Sharp

chibcicylist said:
Eh, PSP got ports of a not so powerful franchise and a questionable brawler and the DS still got all the good stuff, including new IPs and a mainline FF sequel.
Mainline FF sequel? You mean FFXII:RW? Not quite, chibi. The PSP is getting Crisis Core, which is arguably closer to one. And sure, the PSP is getting a lot of ports, but the DS is mostly getting ports as well.

Enix properties are a different matter, mind. Between Star Ocean and Dragon Quest they seem to be going entirely for sales. But I see no evidence that Square is going to shift all their FF stuff over to Wii and DS. Hell, at this point there's more of an argument for cell phones' getting it all.

Top Bottom