• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

jimbo

Banned
chibcicylist said:
I want to see them beg to develop FF for the Wii as well.

They're already developing an FF for the Wii, but if you are talking about the MAIN game, that's not going to happen as long as MS is begging THEM for it, and has a nice fat money hat to go along with that.

Seriously, some of you need to realize the 360 is just as viable if not the MOST viable platform for a game such as FF. It's next gen, AND it sells. Not to mention it's currently got the strongest rpg line-up at the moment. That will in turn draw in even more rpg fans.

Sure Japanese sales suck, but the bottom line for Square will be a total of FF WORLD WIDE sales, not just FF Japanese sales. And if a game like BD can sell 200k on the 360 in Japan on a user base of 300k, FF will do decent numbers over there. While that's no match for what it could do on the Wii, it will do astronomical numbers in the US and Europe on the 360 not because of just a nice size user base, but because on top of that, 360 owners buy the hell out of some software.

I'm actually willing to bet, especialy considering the recent exclusivity rumors, that the 360 will get a main series FF, probably a port of FFXIII, before the Wii will get its own main FF game.

No. More. Begging.

It wouldn't be in Nintendo's best interest to get cocky like that again towards SE, when 1) there are other viable competitors, and 2) they potentially screw things up again somehow.

However, the 360 has been selling at a merely respectable rate so far. Main reason it's looking good right now is because its HD next-gen competition, the PS3, is struggling.

Eteric Rice

jimbo said:
They're already developing an FF for the Wii, but if you are talking about the MAIN game, that's not going to happen as long as MS is begging THEM for it, and has a nice fat money hat to go along with that.

Seriously, some of you need to realize the 360 is just as viable if not the MOST viable platform for a game such as FF. It's next gen, AND it sells. Not to mention it's currently got the strongest rpg line-up at the moment. That will in turn draw in even more rpg fans.

Sure Japanese sales suck, but the bottom line for Square will be a total of FF WORLD WIDE sales, not just FF Japanese sales. And if a game like BD can sell 200k on the 360 in Japan on a user base of 300k, FF will do decent numbers over there. While that's no match for what it could do on the Wii, it will do astronomical numbers in the US and Europe on the 360 not because of just a nice size user base, but because on top of that, 360 owners buy the hell out of some software.

I'm actually willing to bet, especialy considering the recent exclusivity rumors, that the 360 will get a main series FF, probably a port of FFXIII, before the Wii will get its own main FF game.

The problem is, they risk severely pissing off their home land audience. Otherwise, I'd agree.

felipeko

cartman414 said:
SE didn't seem to mind a dominant Sony too much.

The Final Fantasy series selling most during its PS1 and 2 installments attributes largely to the fact that the series exploded with 7 for the PS1.

Sales in japan:
Code:
Final Fantasy IV				Square		1.43
Final Fantasy V					Square		2.45
Final Fantasy VI				Square		2.55
Final Fantasy VII				Square		4.00
Final Fantasy VIII				Square		3.64
Final Fantasy IX				Square		2.80
Final Fantasy X					Square		3.07
Final Fantasy X-2				Square-Enix	2.41
Final Fantasy XII				Square-Enix	2.33
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154108

Looks like popularity of FF were rising before Sony came in, but FFVII was the peak.. And now its just declining.

Jammy

Banned
jimbo said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Somebody ban this joke character.

Final Fantasy has never done "astronomical" numbers in the U.S. and Europe. Final Fantasy's home is Japan where it can easily sell over two million. If it were on the 360 it might not even reach that number on a worldwide scale. Why not put it on Wii where it could sell its two million plus in Japan and then one million 1.5 million elsewhere in the world?

360 software is ONLY selling in the U.S. 360 software sells PROPORTIONALLY well in Japan, but nobody gives a shit about a measly 300,000 for such a big game like that. And you act like the U.S. is some huge territory where a 360 FF would outsell a Wii FF by an easy million or so. PLEASE!

Eteric Rice said:
The problem is, they risk severely pissing off their home land audience. Otherwise, I'd agree.
I wouldn't. The Wii will pass the 360 worldwide in 3 or 4 months. It's far more likely that the Wii will end up with the Core FFXIV, and the PS3 and 360, will get, if anything, quick and dirty ports. Higher resolution and framerate and all that jazz.

I'll be honest at this stage, I think a well done Nintendo-Square-Enix RPG heaped with nostalgic cameos/references would outsell a main FF series in every territory (yes, Japan included).

Maybe someone at Nintendo or Square-Enix is smart enough to clue in on that (screw Kingdom Hearts).

My personal feeling is there will be no FF14 this gen. What I think will happen from here on out is there will be one FF per generation, but they will just keep making sequels/spin-offs set in that one world to save on rising production costs.

Sharp

My personal feeling is that I want Mistwalker to make me a game. You shouldn't all be obsessing over Final Fantasy like you are. The 360 has more of the real Square than any other platform at this point.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
soundwave05 said:
There's a little more to that story. From what's sort of been made public.

- Squaresoft went to Yamauchi and told him they'd have to put FF7 on the Playstation because of Nintendo's cart-only choice. Yamauchi was OK with that.

- Squaresoft then lobbied behind the scenes on Sony's behalf to take Dragon Quest VII away from Nintendo and apparently made some public comments about Nintendo. This burned bridges and Yamauchi then made his rant about Japanese players only playing games in dark rooms by themselves (lol).

- The FF movie flopped, Sony needed a GBA license bad, but Yamauchi told them to go shove it.

- Squaresoft fires their president, replaces him with a more Nintendo-friendly guy. He got the GBA license deal done along with the FF:CC deal.

Things have gotten progressively better between the two companies since.
soundwave05 said:
Lets be honest though -- Square never wanted to be on the Wonderswan, they were forced into it because they stepped on Yamauchi's cape instead of gracefully bowing out.

They thought in 1996/97 when they mouthed off Nintendo that it was curtains for Nintendo ... they underestimated Pokemon, which reignited the GB market and were kicking themselves likely for years before that. In '96 when a lot of this stuff was happening, a lot of people thought the Game Boy brand was done for, and with Square riding Sony's dick, they probably figured they didn't need Nintendo period.
I love your style, post moar please.
jimbo said:
And I think you should lay down the crack pipe, a numbered FF on the Xbox360 would lead to mobs torching SE's japanese headquarters. Oh, and Iwata would go ballistic, Yamauchi style, if that happened.

The next numbered FF will be on the Wii, if only so that SE can keep printing money from the DS moneyprinting machine.

True. But FFVII defined the series in the eyes of many. The fact that the series had been on a steady rise beforehand up to that point kind of helps prove the point in general that the fanbase will follow the series wherever it goes. However, it's because of FF7 on, due to system loyalists and arguably Kitase, that the FF main series "won't return to a Nintendo system", and that includes the material related to the Kitase oeuvre.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
jimbo said:

:lol :lol

ksamedi

tanasten said:
Nintendo is not more powerful, they¡re just driving the current industry of gaming. Others can only play catch up. Square Enix knows, that's why they're making DS style, and that's why they're making money on the system meanwhile other developers not.

Actually.... no, they had never trouble. They just hadn't had the sales they wanted, but they only has been losing money during six months, those which implied the Wii R&D cost. So they have not suffered much as they were the company which was winning more money in the industry :)

Well i wasnt particularly talking about profits, since Nintendo also had a solid handheld to back fall back too, but you have to admit that they were at an all time low with the Gamecube. There profits kept falling back and they lost support from every major Publisher except Capcom. Even some retailers stopped supporting them. Im pretty sure that was a bad time to be a Nintendo boss.

I actually think MS could end up getting a port of FF13 because of Nintendo.

With the Japanese market falling out from under the PS3 due to Nintendo, S-E probably is looking in every direction to recoup their costs on the title, and a quickie port to the 360 could probably bring in some decent sales. Though Sony will most definitely get an exclusivity window on it.

But still, like I said in terms of sales, if Square-Enix and Nintendo can come together on a joint RPG like Kingdom Hearts >>>> any main FF. The main FF series is declining in sales.

jimbo

Banned
Jammy said:

Final Fantasy has never done "astronomical" numbers in the U.S. and Europe. Final Fantasy's home is Japan where it can easily sell over two million. If it were on the 360 it might not even reach that number on a worldwide scale. Why not put it on Wii where it could sell its two million plus in Japan and then one million 1.5 million elsewhere in the world?

360 software is ONLY selling in the U.S. 360 software sells PROPORTIONALLY well in Japan, but nobody gives a shit about a measly 300,000 for such a big game like that. And you act like the U.S. is some huge territory where a 360 FF would outsell a Wii FF by an easy million or so. PLEASE!

First, I'm pretty sure FF has sold more outside of Japan combined than it did IN Japan. While it may have sold better in Japan compared to any ONE territory, that's not the case when you combine ALL territories outside Japan.

Your second point is complete fud. And considering not only the user base difference in the US between the 360 and the Wii, but also the simple fact that the 360 has an incredible software tie-in ration, yes an on the 360 FF COULD outsell an FF on the Wii by a million copies in the US. GOW crushed Zelda in the US and it's a new IP vs flagship Nintendo franchise?

Oh and to answer your question....why not put it on the Wii? Because frankly the Wii can't handle FFXIII, and it makes NO SENSE to completely re-do a game for the Wii that they can easily port to the 360.

The idea some Nbots have that Square would even CONSIDER re-tooling FFXIII for the Wii before a quick 360 port that ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE....was so freaking stupid 5 months ago when it started popping up and it still is today.

laserbeam

Banned
jimbo said:
Jammy said:

360 software is ONLY selling in the U.S. 360 software sells PROPORTIONALLY well in Japan, but nobody gives a shit about a measly 300,000 for such a big game like that. And you act like the U.S. is some huge territory where a 360 FF would outsell a Wii FF by an easy million or so. PLEASE![/QUOTE]

First, I'm pretty sure FF has sold more outside of Japan combined than it did IN Japan. While it may have sold better in Japan compared to any ONE territory, that's not the case when you combine ALL territories outside Japan.

Your second point is complete fud. And considering not only the user base difference in the US between the 360 and the Wii, but also the simple fact that the 360 has an incredible software tie-in ration, yes an on the 360 FF COULD outsell an FF on the Wii by a million copies in the US. GOW crushed Zelda in the US and it's a new IP vs flagship Nintendo franchise?

Lets drop the GOW vs Zelda stuff because its pointless fluff. Install bases alone at the time dictate sales. New console in limited supply versus store shelves flooded console. Zelda TP is very nicely catching up in sales as its console base grows.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
jimbo said:

Oh and to answer your question....why not put it on the Wii? Because frankly the Wii can't handle FFXIII, and it makes NO SENSE to completely re-do a game for the Wii that they can easily port to the 360.

The idea some Nbots have that Square would even CONSIDER re-tooling FFXIII for the Wii before a quick 360 port that ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE....was so freaking stupid 5 months ago when it started popping up and it still is today.

Now you're just making shit up. No one knows how Final Fantasy would sell on 360 vs. Wii and we'll never find out.

jimbo

Banned
laserbeam said:
jimbo said:
Lets drop the GOW vs Zelda stuff because its pointless fluff. Install bases alone at the time dictate sales. New console in limited supply versus store shelves flooded dud.

Well, the install base difference will still be there in the US, so it's a viable point.

laserbeam said:
Lets drop the GOW vs Zelda stuff because its pointless fluff. Install bases alone at the time dictate sales. New console in limited supply versus store shelves flooded dud.
Tie ratio at the end of december (total consoles in market vs title sales) would probably be best for this.

Edit: EVERYONE PLEASE FIX YOUR QUOTES

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
All I care about is the fact that Dragon Quest will be on Nintendo machines. I stopped anticipating Final Fantasy like a mad man after FFIX, even though I still somewhat enjoy playing them.. there's no frothing demand for it like it was before.

laserbeam

Banned
jimbo said:
laserbeam said:
Well, the install base difference will still be there in the US, so it's a viable point.

Install Bases are becoming closer to 1 to 1 and then will skew to the Wiis favor as sales continue. Zelda has sold close to 5 million worldwide. Pretty sure thats close to par on GOW sales.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Soundwave is back, we're at 1700+ post in an MC thread, a new Mario Chart, new software numbers tonight, and NPD + MC hardware tomorrow night. We also have a return from Jimbo, the guy that thought the 360 could sustain its holiday "success." Fun!

One of the better MC threads that I recall.

Sharp

jimbo said:

360 software is ONLY selling in the U.S. 360 software sells PROPORTIONALLY well in Japan, but nobody gives a shit about a measly 300,000 for such a big game like that. And you act like the U.S. is some huge territory where a 360 FF would outsell a Wii FF by an easy million or so. PLEASE![/QUOTE]

Did GOW "crush" Zelda? As far as I can tell it's done about 3 million copies in the US, whlie the various versions of Zelda have done around 2.5 million in the US. GoW is also exactly the sort of game that appeals to the 360 demographic (and yes, of course I know that not all its games are shooters, but they sure sell well don't they?), received a huge advertising blitz, was a major 360 exclusive, and had the advantage of being the first truly "next-gen" looking game. Final Fantasy XIII would not have most of these advantages.

Masklinn

jimbo said:
Dragon Quest IX.

Big hype first-person/third-person shooters are huge these days though. No real comparison between that and Zelda right now, which also had to contend with both a dual console release and a budding-due-to-diminished supply install base.

There's no question that a 360 version of FF13 would outsell a Wii version right now. The fact remains though that FF13 still won't be out until next year at the very least, and the Wii will no doubt expand its install base even more.

mj1108

PantherLotus said:
Soundwave is back, we're at 1700+ post in an MC thread, a new Mario Chart, new software numbers tonight, and NPD + MC hardware tomorrow night. We also have a return from Jimbo, the guy that thought the 360 could sustain its holiday "success." Fun!

One of the better MC threads that I recall.

With all of this, I predict tomorrow's NPD thread and this weeks MC thread to be of epic proportions.

jimbo said:

Ok.us

jimbo

Banned
duderon said:
Now you're just making shit up. No one knows how Final Fantasy would sell on 360 vs. Wii and we'll never find out.

I didn't say I knew that. I just said it could. Multiplatform games sell better on the 360 in the US than they do on the Wii. Period. If FF was multiplatform, it would most likely ALSO sell better on the 360 than it would on the Wii.

Deku

Banned
Oblivion said:
What book is that?
518V1XW6JVL._AA240_.jpg

laserbeam said:
jimbo said:
Install Bases are becoming closer to 1 to 1 and then will skew to the Wiis favor as sales continue. Zelda has sold close to 5 million worldwide. Pretty sure thats close to par on GOW sales.

Is it really nearing 5 million? That would put it above GOW I believe.

Edit: I don't think it's hit 4 million yet.

Jokeropia

jimbo said:
GOW crushed Zelda in the US and it's a new IP vs flagship Nintendo franchise?
Actually, Zelda has been gaining on Gears since January and they're virtually even in the US as of March NPD. (Wii + GC.) In a few months, Zelda is pretty much guaranteed to be ahead. Worldwide it's ahead already.

If you were referring to the Wii version alone, you obviously have to realize that the GC version cannibalized it's sales.

jimbo

Banned
cartman414 said:
Big hype first-person/third-person shooters are huge these days though. No real comparison between that and Zelda right now, which also had to contend with both a dual console release and a budding-due-to-diminished supply install base.

There's no question that a 360 version of FF13 would outsell a Wii version right now. The fact remains though that FF13 still won't be out until next year at the very least, and the Wii will no doubt expand its install base even more.

But so will the 360. Not to mention that any hardcore JRPG fan that's dying to play a JRPG has to be taking a really hard look at the 360 right about now with Eternal Sonata, BD and LO coming out before the end of the year.

PantherLotus said:
YO JIMBO

Why would SE spend money porting FFXIII to a system with 358k sales in Japan?

YO PANTHER,

You do realize Square sells games OUTSIDE OF JAPAN RIGHT?

So if we are talking about sales, why would Square NOT port a game to the WORLD-WIDE market leader?

jimbo said:
Which is a brand NEW game NOT in developmetnt for the PS3.

Great example.
How do you know it wasn't in development for the PS2 or the PS3? You don't. I would think that they would have started work on DQIX around 11/04, right as VIII was being released. At that point in the Japan, Nintendo was a distant 2nd place, and was destined to stay there as far as anyone knew. At some point, Horii and Wada had to make a platform change. Don't think it can't happen again.

StevieP

Banned
jimbo said:
But so will the 360. Not to mention that any hardcore JRPG fan that's dying to play a JRPG has to be taking a really hard look at the 360 right about now with Eternal Sonata, BD and LO coming out before the end of the year.

Bebpo, is that you?

Threi

notag
jimbo said:

oh THATS why sales have spiked.

gotcha.

Masklinn

jimbo said:
You mean brand NEW game NOT years in development for the PS3?

Great example.
Yep, because if SE decided to switch the platform for FFXIII (which I don't really completely believe) they sure as hell wouldn't port the PS3 version.

They'd create a new FFXIII, and brand the PS3 version as a spinoff.

And in any case, they definitely wouldn't bother porting it to a platform for which they've developed exactly 0 game so far (and no, the 360 port of a 3 years old PC port of a 4 years old PS2 game doesn't count)

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
jimbo said:
I didn't say I knew that. I just said it could. Multiplatform games sell better on the 360 in the US than they do on the Wii. Period. If FF was multiplatform, it would most likely ALSO sell better on the 360 than it would on the Wii.

Right and it COULD sell 100 million copies on Wii in Japan. See what i did there jimbo?

Top Bottom