• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The Sphinx said:
One of those projects will be released in the summer, and the other we presume will follow in the fall. Will they just cease working on the Wii at that point? I have no complaints at all about what SE has done on Wii so far. I wouldn't present this as a complaint, more like surprise if they don't announce one or two titles for 2008. Square Enix Party would be the time to do it.

Idatki (spelling?) Street Wii, most likely.

DQ and Mario characters in a mini-board-game-esque Wii title?
It be a brilliant movie and sell a shitton.

And :lol at those who are knocking DQSwords and FFCCWii as "poor support." These titles were announced before the Wii was even called Wii. That's not high profile, advance planning, big budget to you? Can you even name another third party (ubisoft, perhaps) that has even shown that kind of support for the system?

Krowley

ethelred said:
Two really big projects (one of them by one of the company's top teams) announced before the system even launched? Yeah, it's really strong support. You guys are blinkered.

I just don't have high hopes for either game.. It's Token support IMO and that's all. I don't blame them, there is no way they predicted the wii would sell so well.

Things are different now though and I personaly expect something at the same level of expected quality as FF13. If I own the dominant japanese system I should get the kind of support that usually goes with that.. Something really major and serious and big. Something I can get excited about buying. FFCC is a poor replacement for a real FF game if the original is any indicator and DQ swords is on rails... I want a big time RPG.

I will leave an opening for either of the announced games to surprise me but i'm not expecting anything much.

laserbeam

Banned
John Harker said:
Do you have stake in Nintendo or something?

at least you don't deny you sound nuts, heh

I think 99% of the posters wish they had a stake in Nintendo right now even if they hate the company :p

John Harker said:
Do you have stake in Nintendo or something?

at least you don't deny you sound nuts, heh

What's nuts about finding something odd in SE's mysterious lack of serious Wii support? All the pieces of the puzzle are there, yet we see no big budget title on the system.

Anyone following market trends surely is curious as to SE's next moves.

ethelred

My Chemical Mouse said:
Wow, not even close to being a relevant comment. Madden never had selling power in Japan, SPM has, and the boost was due solely becuase of the holiday, while the past games didnt have such a period.

Pretty easy to understand.

Congratulations, you've stumbled upon a vast conspiracy that a cadre of cultists have worked secretly to keep hidden for thousands of years -- consumers buy more shit when they get cash from holidays.

Now that we're done rationalizing away the sales, let's again stress that it doesn't matter whether people bought the game because it was near a holiday -- they still bought it, those are still purchases made, it still adds to (not depletes) the game's success.

Krowley said:
I just don't have high hopes for either game.. It's Token support IMO and that's all. I don't blame them, there is no way they predicted the wii would sell so well.

It's not token support. You people just have shitty, unreasonable expectations.

Their level of early, committed support before the console even launched (before E3, before any of the success it attained) steamrolls over what pretty much every other company was offering.

Krowley said:
Things are different now though and I personaly expect something at the same level of expected quality as FF13. If i own the dominant japanese system i should get the kind of support that usually goes with that.. Something really major and serious and big. Something I can get excited about buying. FFCC is a poor replacement for a real FF game if the original is any indicator and DQ swords is on rails... I want a big time RPG.

Oh, boo hoo, it's on rails. Go cry me a river.

Tristam

John Harker said:
Idatki (spelling?) Street Wii, most likely.

DQ and Mario characters in a mini-board-game-esque Wii title?
It be a brilliant movie and sell a shitton.

And :lol at those who are knocking DQSwords and FFCCWii as "poor support." These titles were announced before the Wii was even called Wii. That's not high profile, advance planning, big budget to you? Can you even name another third party (ubisoft, perhaps) that has even shown that kind of support for the system?

You forget Sega, but otherwise you are correct. The only companies even close would be Konami (Elebits, Dewy's Adventure) or Capcom (RE:UC, Project Treasure Island Z).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
My Chemical Mouse said:
Wow, not even close to being a relevant comment. Madden never had selling power in Japan, SPM has, and the boost was due solely becuase of the holiday, while the past games didnt have such a period.

Pretty easy to understand.

And yet Revenant Wings dropped a ton..what does that tell you?

Tristam

Krowley said:

Things are different now though and I personaly expect something at the same level of expected quality as FF13. If I own the dominant japanese system I should get the kind of support that usually goes with that.. Something really major and serious and big. Something I can get excited about buying. FFCC is a poor replacement for a real FF game if the original is any indicator and DQ swords is on rails... I want a big time RPG.

I will leave an opening for either of the announced games to surprise me but i'm not expecting anything much.

Your problem is that you're basing it off of *expected* quality. I expected Final Fantasy XII to be good.

schuelma

ethelred said:

Their level of early, committed support before the console even launched (before E3, before any of the success it attained) steamrolls over what pretty much every other company was offering.

Let me kind of clarify- I have no problem with the 2 games announced so far. My only point is, its been a year and I would expect more games to be coming, especially give the Wii's success.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I remember it took awhile for the DS to get decent 3rd party support at first. same thing will probably happen with Wii... or maybe not ;o

John Harker

Tristam said:
You forget Sega, but otherwise you are correct. The only companies even close would be Konami (Elebits, Dewy's Adventure) or Capcom (RE:UC, Project Treasure Island Z).

I don't disagree with the companies you've listed, I only mentioned Ubi because they were onboard with Redsteel and Rayman before the system came out. Most of the titles you mentioned from other dev's were "catch-up titles." Elebits and Sonic were also in development prior to the system launch, yea, but Sega and Konami weren't on board from day 1 either.

Square and Nintendo love eachother now, no worries.
The only thing that SUCKS... is it seems Ninty wont give in to whatever Square is wanting, because they keep taking ONLINE OUT OF THEIR GAMES! bugger

laughingkittonwy.gif

I think your avatar needs an update. Top 21 and all.

Krowley

ethelred said:
Congratulations, you've stumbled upon a vast conspiracy that a cadre of cultists have worked secretly to keep hidden for thousands of years -- consumers buy more shit when they get cash from holidays.

Now that we're done rationalizing away the sales, let's again stress that it doesn't matter whether people bought the game because it was near a holiday -- they still bought it, those are still purchases made, it still adds to (not depletes) the game's success.

That's then... I'm not bitching about what they've already announced..

I'm bitching pre-emptivly about the possibility that they won't announce anything new for wii at the party. I'm not even really bitching, i'm just hoping that they will.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more now that the wii is selling so well. What they've announced so far is reasonable based on their likley expectations going into this gen, but not based on the current reality.

And an on rails DQ game will probably be worth a river of tears.

BrodiemanTTR said:
You gotta be thinking Star Ocean IV is a lock for the Wii right now. It makes a ton of sense.

Perfect example.. A star ocean game would satisfy me just fine and it would be a show of good faith from square.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
Not trying to spin this, but fwiw, RW's drop is way smaller than FFIII's. Again, fwiw.

Just saying that its not unprecedented for games to drop even when its Golden Week.

Maybe that isn't the best example of course since it was only its second week...

ksamedi

schuelma said:
Let me kind of clarify- I have no problem with the 2 games announced so far. My only point is, its been a year and I would expect more games to be coming, especially give the Wii's success.

Well it takes time to make software, especially big budget projects. Wii is just 6 months old and the trend is now clear. I think SE just started on development based on these numbers. 2008 will be the year for Wii and SE.

fresquito

Now, if only S-E can release games on Nintendo hardware with serious stories... I won't complain about the quality of their support, since it's been great, but I want me some more diversity in the age they are aiming at.

Tristam

John Harker said:
I don't disagree with the companies you've listed, I only mentioned Ubi because they were onboard with Redsteel and Rayman before the system came out. Most of the titles you mentioned from other dev's were "catch-up titles." Elebits and Sonic were also in development prior to the system launch, yea, but Sega and Konami weren't on board from day 1 either.

Square and Nintendo love eachother now, no worries.
The only thing that SUCKS... is it seems Ninty wont give in to whatever Square is wanting, because they keep taking ONLINE OUT OF THEIR GAMES! bugger

I seem to remember Square Enix wanting to port Final Fantasy XI to the Wii, but obviously there are issues with the Wii's online setup and MMO games.

Anyways, I assume that The Crystal Bearers will feature online co-op of the non-MMO variety, which friend codes are more than suited for.

John Harker

fresquito said:
Now, if only S-E can release games on Nintendo hardware with serious stories... I won't complain about the quality of their support, since it's been great, but I want me some more diversity in the age they are aiming at.

Now this I can agree with.
But again, that's just a personal taste thing.

ethelred

BrodiemanTTR said:
You gotta be thinking Star Ocean IV is a lock for the 360 right now. It makes a ton of sense.

Yeah.

And an on rails DQ game will probably be worth a river of tears.

Dragon Quest Swords will be awesome. If you can't accept that a game might deviate slightly from what you would personally prefer and still be a very quality offering, that's your loss.

It's pretty clear now that Wii is no longer the "kiddy console" -- it's demographic is much, much wider. So while games like Dewey are appreciated and anticipated, longtime fans want to see thrid-parties shake off that old stereotype and provide some support from established "mature" franchises.

I wonder how many people's desires are merely based off of message board banter and the quest for one-upsmanship, though.

AntMurda

Wii Announced Third Party Support

Namco Bandai
* Soul Calibur Legends
* Swords of Legendia

Square-Enix
* Dragon Quest Swords
* Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

Marvelous
* No More Heroes
* Harvest Moon

Electronic Arts
* Boogie
* My Sims
* EA Playground
* Spielberg Game

Capcom
* Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
* Treasure Island Z

Konami
* Dewey's Adventure
* DDR: Hottest Party

Tecmo
* Stylish Action Game

SEGA
* Nights: Journy Into Dreams
* Mario & Sonic At The Olympics

Koei
* Opoona
* Samurai Warriors

UBI Soft
* Red Steel 2

Atari
* Godzilla Unleashed

Am I missing any big premiere or exclusive games? I think the Namco-Bandai and Square-Enix support is pretty big. In general, I think the Wii is going to start much earlier than the DS.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Nintendo have the market in lock. Sony is ****ed, especially because of that unsellable dead meat called PS3

Krowley

ethelred said:
Yeah.

Dragon Quest Swords will be awesome. If you can't accept that a game might deviate slightly from what you would personally prefer and still be a very quality offering, that's your loss.

I'm not completly closed minded about it, If it's good and it gets good reviews, i'll buy it.

It just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

John Harker

AntMurda said:
Wii Announced Third Party Support

Namco Bandai
* Soul Calibur Legends
* Swords of Legendia

Square-Enix
* Dragon Quest Swords
* Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

Marvelous
* No More Heroes
* Harvest Moon

Electronic Arts
* Boogie
* My Sims
* Spielberg Game

Capcom
* Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
* Treasure Island Z

Konami
* Dewey's Adventure
* DDR: Hottest Party

Tecmo
* Stylish Action Game

SEGA
* Nights: Journy Into Dreams
* Mario & Sonic At The Olympics

Koei
* Opoona
* Samurai Warriors

UBI Soft
* Red Steel 2

Am I missing any big premiere or exclusive games? I think the Namco-Bandai and Square-Enix support is pretty big. In general, I think the Wii is going to start much earlier than the DS.

crash of the titans, spyro legends 2 (multi, but i believe wii is lead platform)
EA Playground. tony hawk downhill jam 2. anway its late, and i cant think

but yea, see? nice list. now, lets not talk about it anymore

AntMurda

The only reason i am turned off by Dragon Quest Swords is that dreadded 4:3 only rumor of the game. HTF can i explain to my HDTV that i just spent 50 bucks on game that doesn't support 16:9. It's gonna be pissed :(

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Tomorrow with hardware numbers, especially if Nintendo had enough, is going to bring forth a stark reminder that the race in japan is indeed over. Every week from here on out is one of coronation.

Juice

i took my sweet time reading this thread. I just came to a few minutes ago.

Wow, any part of me that ever secretly wished for Nintendo to stage a comeback is suddenly finding itself wishing for a new car as well.

Miracles do happen

Top Bottom