• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/9 - 4/15

Terrell

titiklabingapat said:
It just means they want more money by releasing remakes on the DS/Wii using physical based media. Milking, remakes, sequels et al.
Except the majority of the price you pay goes into packaging & materials, shipping, retailer cut, marketing and development cost (because putting it on a new peice of hardware does require some recoding). They're not making any additional money when all is said and done, the average amount the developer and publisher actually earn is about $2-10 maximum, with the game only staying on retail shelves for a maximum of 6 months.

With VC, they clean up their NES/SNES/N64 code and plop it online to be accessible for as long as the servers can be accessed.

Which sounds like a more lucrative option?

cvxfreak

I never expected Square Enix to put their FF or DQ games on the VC. They seem more like the snobs that would rather earn more money through actual media releases. See: FFI and FFII PSP, despite the existense of the PSone downloads on the VC.

ethelred

cvxfreak said:
I never expected Square Enix to put their FF or DQ games on the VC. They seem more like the snobs that would rather earn more money through actual media releases. See: FFI and FFII PSP, despite the existense of the PSone downloads on the VC.

Yep. I never expected FF or DQ games on there, either -- nor do I care to get them. Give me stuff like Quintet's Heaven & Earth titles (one down...), Ogre Battle, Mana/Evermore, and I'm more than satisfied.

Kobun Heat said:
As I said on the ol' blog today:

- at least they've given up the hilariously untenable position that they can't put games on VC because they can't find the floppy disks with the source code

Yeah, but they replaced that with Hiromichi Tanaka's adorable little claim that they don't actually have the rights to games like Chrono Trigger.

As I said on the ol' blog today:

- at least they've given up the hilariously untenable position that they can't put games on VC because they can't find the floppy disks with the source code

- would Nintendo do it if it wasn't financially the best option?

Also, why am I getting the feeling that Square Enix has a Lucas-like desire to make the original versions of their old games disappear?

Terrell

It's obvious why Square Enix doesn't want digital distribution: they can't do these stupid "special editions" or get you to buy "Final Mix" after already buying the original game, only to make you buy it AGAIN for the stuff in "Final Mix+" or "International Edition" or whatever. Microtransaction rape's got NOTHING on Square Enix. But why they wouldn't put VC games out when they cost practically NOTHING to do just baffles me. Even SEGA was smart enough to do it.

Kobun Heat said:
Also, why am I getting the feeling that Square Enix has a Lucas-like desire to make the original versions of their old games disappear?

It's probably the part where they got Enya to come in and record a new ending theme for Final Fantasy 6.

Axord

Kobun Heat said:
- would Nintendo do it if it wasn't financially the best option?
Well, just because it's optimum for the 1st party doesn't mean it's optimum for a 3rd party. Especially one that can so consistently rake in significant dough via re-releases.

Sony might have even secured Squeenix's exclusive support in this area by promising to hand over the full price instead of taking a cut. You know that Nintendo is always gonna want a cut.

Deku

Banned
Terrell said:
It's obvious why Square Enix doesn't want digital distribution: they can't do these stupid "special editions" or get you to buy "Final Mix" after already buying the original game, only to make you buy it AGAIN for the stuff in "Final Mix+" or "International Edition" or whatever. Microtransaction rape's got NOTHING on Square Enix. But why they wouldn't put VC games out when they cost practically NOTHING to do just baffles me. Even SEGA was smart enough to do it.

They have a lot of 2nd tier titles that they can release on VC. I don't really want to see DQ/FF games on VC, the value simply isn't there given the amount of remakes they release, some of them are actually worth buying for fans. Simply purchasing bits and bytes of the original code for the VC doesn't seem as enticing.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Link1110 said:
His role in 4 is a bit more than a cameo. :D
Giving how the Japanese gamers are bitching about that he might just be a cameo next time.

*wonders if Takumi did it on purpose to end all ties with Phoenix*

D.Lo

Deku said:
They have a lot of 2nd tier titles that they can release on VC. I don't really want to see DQ/FF games on VC, the value simply isn't there given the amount of remakes they release, some of them are actually worth buying for fans. Simply purchasing bits and bytes of the original code for the VC doesn't seem as enticing.
Dunno, I'd buy FF3(6) SNES version instantly. TV console + no disc media = win for old games.

Terrell

Deku said:
Except they never mentioned that it wasn't a sound business model for FF or DQ, they said that Japan still wants discs. PERIOD. So no, looks like we're not even getting the 2nd-tier games. We're getting NONE.

Parl

Lapsed shouldn't have quoted fellow GAF members to show them how wrong they were. Most were wrong because most weren't clued up about disruptive strategies, etc. Anybody thinking about iPod who also got off of their elitist gaming horse should have noticed that if Nintendo played their cards right, they'd kick some.. you know what.

Either way, he should have referred to professional analysts.

Some guy said:
"We are projecting the Xbox 360 and PS3 console installed bases to exceed 10 million units and 7 million units in the US [by the end of 2007], respectively, while the Revolution installed base should surpass 3 million units."

Same guy said:
"The next-generation handheld installed base should also start to represent sizable numbers in 2007, as we expect the PSP and DS installed bases to reach 15 million units and 10 million units that year, respectively."

Analysts hadn't received the memo by then, of course. It's 2008 when the Wii and DS Fad dies and when casuals and non-gamers go crazy for some HD and some DMC4 and Gears Of War 2. Blue Ocean!

apotema said:
Which game will prevail this week... Super Paper Mario or Fate Night?
My bet for SPM

i think Wii sales for both hw and sw will be huge this week, not only SPM is still in the top positions on amazon.jp, but also One Piece and BBA are everyday in top 25. And also yesterday Wii was available for a long time, usually it's sold out few seconds after stocks are available, i think Nintendo really shipped a good amount of units this week.

Moor-Angol said:
My bet for SPM

i think Wii sales for both hw and sw will be huge this week, not only SPM is still in the top positions on amazon.jp, but also One Piece and BBA are everyday in top 25. And also yesterday Wii was available for a long time, usually it's sold out few seconds after stocks are available, i think Nintendo really shipped a good amount of units this week.
Or maybe the fad is dying.

D.Lo

Parl said:
Either way, he should have referred to professional analysts.
Do you have any links for those quotes?

EDIT: Don't worry, I just googled them. Stunning that even in 2006 someone thought that the PSP would 'pull ahead', despite the dramatic counter-example waved in front of their faces in Japan.

Parl

titiklabingapat said:
Or maybe the fad is dying.

The fad was over a week ago. Retailers have small sales spikes some mornings for less than a hour, and that's it. Wii barely sells at any other time.

D.Lo said:
Do you have any links for those quotes?

EDIT: Don't worry, I just googled them. Stunning that even in 2006 someone thought that the PSP would 'pull ahead', despite the dramatic counter-example waved in front of their faces in Japan.

Well, as the guy was an analyst, it's hardly surprising. I've seen a few predict Wii kicking ass, but only recently, and even then, they've already been proven to underestimate Wii and overestimate its competition.

I thought the Wii was gonna do really well and beat Sony the first time I saw the controller back in September(i didnt really follow console gaming til then). I didnt predict this unprecedented demand though, and I thought the launch was very underwhelming.

Anywho, seems like the Wii is at number 28 on the Japanese Amazon site and the add to cart button is bright yellow orange, indicating it's in stock, but there is some sort of note under it. Can anyone translate the notation for me? [URL="http://amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_vg_nav/302-1379957-2585651?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=0TSB9M15620VTE305PJT&pf_rd_t=2101&pf_rd_p=108886591&pf_rd_i=home]Link[/URL]

Zelda DS is also number one for a few days now. What's going to happen to Gaf if the DS Zelda ends up outseling TP? :lol

milanbaros

Member?
Nintendo releases its year end financial report in 2 days. It will show us all the shipped data for hardware and software in Japan and worldwide.

nli10

titiklabingapat said:
Zelda DS is also number one for a few days now. What's going to happen to Gaf when the DS Zelda ends up outseling TP? :lol

Fixed due to the overwhealming certainty of it all. :D

Love the Analyst quotes - any analyst who actually buys games with half a brain could see that tide of DS games that included Brain Training & Nintendogs a mile off. I completely underestimated it too, but I knew that the Nintendo Handheld in automatic 2nd place was a silly idea.

And as a lovely side note - the iPod is much closer to the PS3 model of sales actually.

The first gen iPod (PS3 launch) was a high tech high price 'failure' which got loads of brand recognition and few non Apple fan sales. These too gathered dust on shelves.

The 2nd Gen (like this October when GTA releases) was aimed squarely at the people who wanted it from launch but couldn't justify it at that price/functionality.

The 3rd Gen (Home/LBP/Price slash) was when the casual mainstream decided they wanted one, but by this point the apple owners and Pc owners were snapping them up so it was harder to get them.

4th Generation was at the right price at the right time and was always in stock so became the must have item. When the BluRay revolution hits the PS3 will be perfectly poised to dominate, but by that point Nintendo will already be eyeing up the next generation of waggle.

The Wii is far more similar to the iPod mini/nano - it's overpriced for what it does, but it just fits some peoples lives perfectly.

ziran

titiklabingapat said:
I thought the Wii was gonna do really well and beat Sony the first time I saw the controller back in September(i didnt really follow console gaming til then). I didnt predict this unprecedented demand though, and I thought the launch was very underwhelming.

Anywho, seems like the Wii is at number 28 on the Japanese Amazon site and the add to cart button is bright yellow orange, indicating it's in stock, but there is some sort of note under it. Can anyone translate the page for me? [URL="http://amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_vg_nav/302-1379957-2585651?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=0TSB9M15620VTE305PJT&pf_rd_t=2101&pf_rd_p=108886591&pf_rd_i=home]Link[/URL]

Zelda DS is also number one for a few days now. What's going to happen to Gaf if the DS Zelda ends up outseling TP? :lol
The Wii's currently on sale at Amazon are ¥33,800 and from another seller, not Amazon themselves. It has been like this for several days from what I've seen, they were ¥34,800 on Sunday, so it's really an ebay type situation. Wii's official retail in Japan is ¥25,000, so these are going for around a ¥10,000 ($85) premium.

lo zaffo

titiklabingapat said:
I would rather Zelda's popularity increase release after release.

nli10 said:
The Wii is far more similar to the iPod mini/nano - it's overpriced for what it does, but it just fits some peoples lives perfectly.

Yeah, aren't those their bestselling models since their respective releases.

I think the iPhone is following the fullsize iPod-->ipod nano strategy too for being so expensive and bloated but I don't think it will take them 4 generations to hit the sweet spot.

edit: thanks Ziran.

donny2112

Is this the week that we don't get Media-Create sales (due to Golden Week) or is that next week?

If you use all of the functions of the Wii (Wi-Fi, Mii/Photo/News/Forecast/Voting/Music/Health Channels, Virtual Console), I don't think it's overpriced. "But I don't use all of that crap!" The same sentiment can be applied to the PS3. If you use all of the functions of the PS3 (Wi-Fi, Home, Photos, Blu-Ray, PS1 titles), it may not be overpriced to you, either.

nli10 said:
And as a lovely side note - the iPod is much closer to the PS3 model of sales actually.

Yes! This metaphor would work perfectly for the PS3... if the iPod played only special iPod music that made up a specific subset of new music released since the hardware came out.

But actually, the iPod "software" was all the readily available music that already existed, which means the iPod was sold at a profit and its inherent value was in its hardware. The value of owning an iPod didn't decline in any way due to its slow uptake, while the value for PS3 measurably decreases with every moment it isn't adopted (due to loss of software development.)

In other words, they're totally ****ing different.

The Wii is more like Frosted Flakes. Corn Flakes were great, they catered to a certain market. But slap some frosting on that bitch and what you've got is a sensation.

donny2112 said:
Is this the week that we don't get Media-Create sales (due to Golden Week) or is that next week?

Golden Week is next week. Who knows when the numbers will be posted, but I'll be running the parser nightly until they do.

joetachi

AdmiralViscen said:
The Wii is more like Frosted Flakes. Corn Flakes were great, they catered to a certain market. But slap some frosting on that bitch and what you've got is a sensation.
Best analogy ever.:D

nli10

charlequin said:
Yes! This metaphor would work perfectly for the PS3... if the iPod played only special iPod music that made up a specific subset of new music released since the hardware came out.

But actually, the iPod "software" was all the readily available music that already existed, which means the iPod was sold at a profit and its inherent value was in its hardware. The value of owning an iPod didn't decline in any way due to its slow uptake, while the value for PS3 measurably decreases with every moment it isn't adopted (due to loss of software development.)

In other words, they're totally ****ing different.

Different products, similar business models.

And to clarify - I think the Wii was worth every penny, but as a raw power games machine or a home entertainment centre it lacks value features (PS2/Xbox play games & DVDs - to casual market they are similar). Like the Nano you just buy it because it does one thing (shit hot games with motion control) and it does it better than anything you can put under your TV for that price.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
polg said:
So brain training wii is being released tomorrow... will this sell big?

Hmmm Well first, it's Big Brain Academy, which only sold about 2 million, instead of the 3+ million of Brain Training.

Second, I'm not sure if the brain games will be nearly as popular on the Wii. The best part of them for the DS is that you can whip out your DS anywhere and do a quick test or minigame.

Tadaima

GreenGlowingGoo said:
The best part of them for the DS is that you can whip out your DS anywhere and do a quick test or minigame.

Indeed. Whipping your Wii out in the public like that could land you in a lot of trouble.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Eddz said:
Indeed. Whipping your Wii out in the public like that could land you in a lot of trouble.

Yes, they're so in demand right now, people just might try to rip it off.

apujanata

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Hmmm Well first, it's Big Brain Academy, which only sold about 2 million, instead of the 3+ million of Brain Training.

Second, I'm not sure if the brain games will be nearly as popular on the Wii. The best part of them for the DS is that you can whip out your DS anywhere and do a quick test or minigame.

Actually, BBA sales so far, in Japan, is 1,33 Million, as of Dec 31, 2006. Allowing for 3K sales / week for Jan to April 15 (15 weeks), we still get only 1,34 Million, which is quite far from 2 Million you quote.

nli10 said:
Different products, similar business models.

No, completely different business models.

The iPod is sold to be individually profitable. Each hardware unit has a large profit margin built in because Apple doesn't control the software. Sure, the iPod has a synergy with the iTunes Music Store, but the iPod product has to stand alone, make a profit, and be desirable as a hardware unit. That's simply not relevant for game consoles in the same way because all of the software is proprietary and locked-in, which means the differentiation between software almost completely overwhelms hardware differences.

Which leads to the real key point here: Apple had a huge freedom to sell badly for a period of time that Sony does not. Because the software for an iPod is just "any music," including the already prevalent mp3 and CD formats, the iPod could take off at any point. A game console with proprietary software doesn't have the same luxury because any period of poor sales directly reduces its potential software library.

Top Bottom