• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/14 - 5/20

Eteric Rice

Innotech said:
Some of my friends who are diehard Sony fans keep saying "the console war is not a sprint, its a marathon". these same people last gen talked about how Ps2 had an early lead and Gamecube wouldnt win because getting in front early was important.

I hope it's burning them both on the inside and on the outside... :lol

jimbo said:
Actually no it's not because, because despite your summary, the fact is currently the 360 user base World Wide is GREATER than the Wii's. The PS3 and PC only adds to that.

And you are right the Wii IS the fastest selling console. Key word IS.

You know only ONE year ago the PS3 was guaranteed to have the same type of success as its predecessors, the 360 was forever stuck in 2nd place and the Wii doomed for third.

In one year, everything changed. And there's no guarantee that in ONE year everything won't change again.
jimbo said:
Yeah, you're right. Let's ignore that little thing that the Wii has to first catch the 360 and THEN outsell it...before we can even talk about it being caught by anything.

Who cares about little semantics?

Why live in reality when we can live in some people's PREDICTED FUTURE.
Wii is outselling 360 even in the Americas, 360's biggest market by far. Now couple that with the fact that 360 is a non-factor in Japan and only doing OK in the UK, while being not so hot in the rest of the big markets in Europe and you have the current reality.

Now we can predict Wii will overtake 360 this year or that it could all change in one year. Which is more likely?

jimbo said:
Yeah, you're right. Let's ignore that little thing that the Wii has to first catch the 360 and THEN outsell it...before we can even talk about it being caught by anything.

Who cares about little semantics?

Why live in reality when we can live in some people's PREDICTED FUTURE.

I don't remember if I've replied to this yet

Wii catching the 360 is not unfounded speculation. The only point at which the 360 could possibly sell like gangbusters is September onward, and the Wii likely will pass it by then.

Link

The Autumn Wind
RiskyChris said:
Wii catching the 360 is not unfounded speculation. The only point at which the 360 could possibly sell like gangbusters is September onward, and the Wii likely will pass it by then.
That'll be a fun stretch.

Could people stop bringing ps3forums into these threads for now?

The majority of the new members there are gaffers who create joke accounts to act like a Sony tool, and then other gaffers quote the posts from these joke characters here to laugh at them. So it's gaffers laughing at gaffers.

Other new members are also gaffers, but with the mission to put some sense into the people on ps3forums, and get into arguements with other gaffers who have joke accounts there. So it's gaffers arguing with gaffers.

It's not funny anymore, you guys are forcing it way to much. Don't invade that forum with gaf members. Just leave the dilusional fanboys alone for a while, and then quote there posts here, that way we'll be sure their rants are genuine. ;)

nny

Congratulations Vinnk!
I suppose that for now on the already slim odds of getting some more "rebel in Japan" at 4cr are even slimmer, since you'll be busy being all happy and stuff. :) Best Wishes

Tf53

enishi said:
[X360] Forza 2 - >5k (20% of shipment)
I knew the 360 is dead in Japan, but I thought people might like Forza. Apparently the people who decide on the sizes of shipments know better, since I would've been astounded had I heard that the initial shipment was going to be a mere 25k. It's a good thing I didn't make the call.

toypop

enishi said:

You are wrong.

360「フォルツァ2」は先日発売された「テストドライブ」に比べて
2割程度低い数字で、初週販売数は1万本を超えるかどうかといったところ。

(first day sales of) Forza2 on 360 is like minus 20% sales from what TDU did few weeks ago.
looks like it will be around 10k or higher for first week.

enishi

toypop said:
You are wrong.

360「フォルツァ2」は先日発売された「テストドライブ」に比べて
2割程度低い数字で、初週販売数は1万本を超えるかどうかといったところ。

(first day sales of) Forza2 on 360 is like minus 20% sales from what TDU did few weeks ago.
looks like it will be around 10k or higher for first week.

Thank you for correction

Souldriver said:
It's an amazing achievement. I think this might be a turning point, I predict 360 dominance in the near future.
What's your stance on this, Jimbo?

You guys need to lay off jimbo. If he left you'd have no one to bait ;)

milanbaros

Member?
Had a look at Sony software shipments up to 31st March for PS3 - 1.8m. Considering that almost no software has been sold since then and hardware shipments are 50% higher than actual sales does that mean the top 2 Wii games have both outsold all PS3 software combined? I had no idea it was that bad.

PerkeyMan

How well did Prime and Echoes do in the US? And are there any games at all that can compete with Halo 3 in september, for the Wii that is?

Aeris130

milanbaros said:
Had a look at Sony software shipments up to 31st March for PS3 - 1.8m. Considering that almost no software has been sold since then and hardware shipments are 50% higher than actual sales does that mean the top 2 Wii games have both outsold all PS3 software combined? I had no idea it was that bad.
Yep. Separately, even.

M3d10n

Odysseus said:
for real

i don't know exactly, but i've always heard that platform royalties are around $10. could be higher or lower than actuality. retailers might pay $42 per $50 game. assuming there are no other distribution costs involved (yeah right), the publisher is already down to $32 of direct revenue on the game.

Not even close. The store keeps... surprise, surprise: almost HALF of the games' retail value. The $10 royalties is the Sony/Ms/Nintendo royalty.

It's not uncommon for a (3rd party) developer to make only $2 to $5 per copy, depending on their royalties shares.

D.Lo

milanbaros said:
Yes, that was confirmed some time ago, and is probabaly even worse now, ie Wii Sports has possibly outsold every PS3 game put together 1.5 times over.

PerkeyMan said:
How well did Prime and Echoes do in the US? And are there any games at all that can compete with Halo 3 in september, for the Wii that is?
Wii Sports.

Leonsito

I don't understand how Forza sells so poor (compared to GT) and GT sells millions and millions, and not only in Japan, people don't like damage or what?

PS: And I have GT, GT2 and GT4, and never had a Xbox, but come on, Forza is as good as GT imo.

Tf53

M3d10n said:
Not even close. The store keeps... surprise, surprise: almost HALF of the games' retail value. The $10 royalties is the Sony/Ms/Nintendo royalty.

It's not uncommon for a (3rd party) developer to make only $2 to $5 per copy, depending on their royalties shares.
I don't know what your source is, but at least at the store I work in (small business, owner + 2 employees), our premiums are under 10 euros. So basically wholesale prices are around 45-55 euros (yeah, it's expensive to be a gamer in Finland). If you take out the wholesale premium plus the platform royalty, you're left at 25-35 euros per game.

Luckyman

Banned
enishi said:
Forza 2 - >5k

Bomba :(

:lol :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Tf53 said:
I don't know what your source is, but at least at the store I work in (small business, owner + 2 employees), our premiums are under 10 euros. So basically wholesale prices are around 45-55 euros (yeah, it's expensive to be a games in Finland). If you take out the wholesale premium plus the platform royalty, you're left at 25-35 euros per game.
Subtract manufacturing, packaging, shipping and advertising and... how much is left?
Not that much.

Tf53

Jocchan said:
Subtract manufacturing, packaging, shipping and advertising and... how much is left?
Not that much.
True. But my main issue was his implication of the retailers taking 20-30 dollars/euros per game, which, unfortunately, isn't the case. It'd be nice if I could buy new games for 20-30 euros.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Tf53 said:
True. But my main issue was his implication of the retailers taking 20-30 dollars/euros per game, which, unfortunately, isn't the case. It'd be nice if I could buy new games for 20-30 euros.
Yup!

Rock_Man

donny2112 said:
Famitsu May 7-13

1. PSP Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War 169768 / NEW
2. NDS FFXII: Revenant Wings 35574 / 439916
3. WII Super Paper Mario 28102 / 357490
4. WII Wii Sports 27926 / 1484949
5. NDS Brain Training 2 27529 / 4333674
6. NDS Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan 26325 / 158128
7. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 23536 / 4468941
8. WII Gentle Brain Training Wii 22598 / 123318
9. NDS More English Training 20782 / 215817
10. NDS Brain Training 19540 / 3289184
11. NDS Yoshi's Island DS 18483 / 708752
12. NDS Panel de Pon DS 17604 / 82364
13. WII Wii Play 17501 / 1190125
14. NDS Mario Kart DS 16756 / 2142190
15. NDS Ace Attorney 4 16318 / 391351
16. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 15533 / 4085571
17. NDS Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis 14555 / 218978
18. NDS English Training 13700 / 1775316
19. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 13069 / 5109839
20. NDS General Knowledge Training 12788 / 1395216
21. NDS Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village 11897 / 517779
22. PS2 Wrestling Kingdom 2: Pro Wrestling World War 9515 / NEW
23. NDS Word Puzzle Mojipittan DS 9246 / 269960
24. NDS Kanji Brain 8714 / 418914
25. NDS Nodame Cantabile 7049 / 64050
26. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 6848 / 1188947
27. NDS Kanji Quiz DS 6769 / 534290
28. PS2 Pro Baseball Spirits 4 6588 / 162236
29. PS2 Musou Orochi 6562 / 609716
30. NDS 1000 Healthy DS Recipes 6523 / 366672
[/b]

Thanks.

More Wii LTD:
Zelda - 477,075
Wario - 416,419
Pokemon - 258,439
Fire Emblem - 141,279
Dragon Ball Z - 134,482
Ennichi no Tatsujin - 97,134

Pimpwerx

Too bad no one took me up on my bet from a few months back. I bet the Wii would outsell the 360 WW by Summer. Well, I guess that's gonna happen. The Wii is the new PS2. The PS3 is the new Cube. The 360 is...the new Xbox. Nintendo high, Sony cry, MS...better luck next try. ****ing Nintendo. ;) :p PEACE.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Pimpwerx said:
Too bad no one took me up on my bet from a few months back. I bet the Wii would outsell the 360 WW by Summer. Well, I guess that's gonna happen. The Wii is the new PS2. The PS3 is the new Cube. The 360 is...the new Xbox. Nintendo high, Sony cry, MS...better luck next try. ****ing Nintendo. ;) :p PEACE.

(neutral) Pimpwerx
Will be disappearing soon
(Today, 05:02 PM)
Reply | Quote

donny2112

PerkeyMan said:
How well did Prime and Echoes do in the US?

Echoes did about half of Prime's numbers (
deservedly so, in my opinion
). I'm incredibly stoked for Prime 3's control scheme, though, so I hope it delivers and blows Prime's numbers away. :D

Pimpwerx said:
The PS3 is the new Cube. The 360 is...the new Xbox.

Then Microsoft is Mission Accomplished. The Xbox division should be profitable in FY08, they prevented Sony from taking over the Living Room, and they've established themselves with a consistent seller in the video game world. While Microsoft certainly wouldn't mind being #1 this generation, I don't think that was a requirement for them to be "successful." :)

pgtl_10 said:
How are Wii sales in Europe?

360 sales are typically about 1/2 of the U.S., which happens to fit in with our guesstimates for the LTD in PAL. ~2.7 million.

The Wii shipped 1.54 million to "Other" (IIRC) by the end of March. It's safe to assume it all sold. Japan and the U.S. both sold ~360K in April, so it's not too much of a stretch to assume the same amount for Europe. That would put it at 1.9 million at the end of April.

It's not quite unanimous, but by now most of us here would agree that the release of the Wii ended Sony's Japanese console domination. For purposes of demarcation, though, when do we say it began? Unlike PS2 or Wii, PS1 didn't shoot off right from launch; for its first few years it was going against a similarly-successful Sega Saturn and a still-relevant Super Famicom. Perhaps the release of Final Fantasy VII marks the starting point? Possibly some time shortly before, when it was clear which way the wind was blowing? Without a source of direct data from the time it makes the issue a bit more difficult.

pgtl_10

donny2112 said:
Echoes did about half of Prime's numbers (
deservedly so, in my opinion
). I'm incredibly stoked for Prime 3's control scheme, though, so I hope it delivers and blows Prime's numbers away. :D

Then Microsoft is Mission Accomplished. The Xbox division should be profitable in FY08, they prevented Sony from taking over the Living Room, and they've established themselves with a consistent seller in the video game world. While Microsoft certainly wouldn't mind being #1 this generation, I don't think that was a requirement for them to be "successful." :)

360 sales are typically about 1/2 of the U.S., which happens to fit in with our guesstimates for the LTD in PAL. ~2.7 million.

The Wii shipped 1.54 million to "Other" (IIRC) by the end of March. It's safe to assume it all sold. Japan and the U.S. both sold ~360K in April, so it's not too much of a stretch to assume the same amount for Europe. That would put it at 1.9 million at the end of April.

Thanks

What is the estimated worlwide sales for Wii?

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
For purposes of demarcation, though, when do we say it began?

As soon as it's obvious that the previous generation winner isn't going to win. Maybe at June 2001, after the N64 launch? From that sense, Sony was right in saying "Next-Gen doesn't start until we say it does."

pgtl_10 said:
What is the estimated worlwide sales for Wii?

D.Lo said:
Japan + USA totals

Wii - 4,946,522
360 - 5,763,383

360 - ~8.5 million
WII - ~6.8 million

Top Bottom