• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/7 - 5/13, PS3 < 10k

Log4Girlz

Smiles and Cries said:
I wonder if Sony is really worried? Let's face it they know better than us what their long term plans for the PS3 are. They want to support it for over 10 years. Second I still think things can change with a few prices cuts and some kickass games.

I would really like to know what Sony is thinking about all this right now

Sony worried? I'd say Kutaragi moving on is indication they are worried. Sure they can bounce back to a degree, but its going to take a lot of time...and by that time Wii's will be implanted on all new-borns.

papercut

Xavien said:
About 4 Media-Create Threads back, a big discussion arose about the future of FF13 (like every media-create thread), moku stated boldly that he was getting on the FF13 for Wii train, people followed, the "FF13 for Wii Train" meme got so popular in the thread that Dragona (i think) banned moku, his train, its passengers and the very mention of it.

Haha...how in the world did I miss this? *backtracks*

papercut said:
Umm...can someone please explain to me what this whole train thing is about? I feel like I'm missing out on some good jokes :(

it's a trap last time I asked this question after finding the answer, I supported the idea too much and was promptly banned

Smiles and Cries said:
I wonder if Sony is really worried? Let's face it they know better than us what their long term plans for the PS3 are. They want to support it for over 10 years. Second I still think things can change with a few prices cuts and some kickass games.

It's been said before, but Sony is at least two or three price cuts away from a mass market price. It'll take time to get that low (ignoring the harm any price cut would do to Sony's bottom line), and I don't see how they have that time - vicious cycles for consoles seen as failing and all that.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
YO JIMBO

kanyufealit%20copy.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
SE will keep FFXIII " in development" until PS3 has sold at least 5 million in Japan.

I think, considering holiday bumps, metal gear solid, Little big planet, et cetera, FFXIII has definitely turned into a chirstmas 2009 title.

Is Sony in financial trouble if this keeps up? I don't mean like, "boo hoo we lost a money"-trouble, like "oh god oh god we're dying"-trouble.

I follow market trends but I couldn't predict Sega going 3rd party.

RiskyChris said:
Is Sony in financial trouble if this keeps up? I don't mean like, "boo hoo we lost a money"-trouble, like "oh god oh god we're dying"-trouble.

Not while they have profitable areas outside of Playstation. Sony are huge, this isn't like Sega where they had nothing to fall back on in a rough patch.

laserbeam

Banned
RiskyChris said:

Its not gonna make Sony close their doors but it could make them reevaluate their presence in the Game console industry. If anything they wont go for the insanely priced next time around

sphinx

the piano man
Branduil said:
So forever?

they can't put the game on a system with 1 to 4 million install base. It's suicide.

FFXII was bought by 10% of the whole PS2 community.

10% of 5 million is 500k which would be a DISASTER for the franchise.

I said 5 million because maybe SE can then hope that most of those 5 million people together with those that will buy the console when the game launches will help them prevent that kind of disaster.

either way, If I was a Square Enix executive I'd make a phone call to sony DEMANDING a substancial price drop of the console right now. Failure to do so, would mean loss of the exclusivity.

Log4Girlz

laserbeam said:
Its not gonna make Sony close their doors but it could make them reevaluate their presence in the Game console industry. If anything they wont go for the insanely priced next time around

I think the re-evaluation will happen sooner than later. If this keeps up through-out the year, expect deep price cuts. I think they'll be satisfied with weak Japanese numbers but strong world-wide numbers...and if that fails, I wouldn't be surprised by a re-design to something smaller and slimmer within a year or year and a half.

Xavien

RiskyChris said:

Well, looking at Sony's Q4 results, they lost $2B on the gaming division (primarily on the PS3), it was enough for the entire company to post a $563 million loss for the quarter, so yes, if the PS3 doesn't improve it could spell trouble for the company in the long-term.

Sony is a big company sure, but they are not Microsoft big, they can't take such large losses year on year like Microsoft can, you can be sure there is gonna be some major shake-ups in the gaming division over the next Fiscal year.

Saitou

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Not while they have profitable areas outside of Playstation. Sony are huge, this isn't like Sega where they had nothing to fall back on in a rough patch.
Sony are a lot less huge than you think. If Nintendo keep growing at their current rate (re: very fast), they'll be worth more than ALL of Sony sometime next year.

Nintendo, a videogame hardware and software maker, worth more than ALL OF ****ING SONY. MOVIES, TEEVEES, LAUNDRY MACHINES, EVERYTHANG

Saitou said:
Sony are a lot less huge than you think. If Nintendo keep growing at their current rate (re: very fast), they'll be worth more than ALL of Sony sometime next year.

Nintendo, a videogame hardware and software maker, worth more than ALL OF ****ING SONY. MOVIES, TEEVEES, LAUNDRY MACHINES, EVERYTHANG

That'll be crazy!

Xavien

Saitou said:

Indeed, Sony's Market Cap stands at 56Billion Dollars... Nintendo is nearing 50 Billion (and surely this Fiscal Year will push their market cap up significantly with their excellent sales), Nintendo is close to becoming bigger then Sony.

Crazy World eh?

laserbeam said:

Makes sense. I don't at all mean to insinuate that Sony the megacorp would go down in flames, just that Sony would reconsider what value they place on being in the video game market.

Xavien said:
Indeed, Sony's Market Cap stands at 56Billion Dollars... Nintendo is nearing 50 Billion (and surely this Fiscal Year will push their market cap up significantly with their excellent sales), Nintendo is close to becoming bigger then Sony.

Crazy World eh?

Holy crap, I had no idea... Nintendo really has their shit on lockdown. Iwata's doing good things.

justchris

Branduil said:
I'm not convinced that FFXIII is going to end up on the Wii at this point, but I'm having a hard time seeing how they won't at the very least make a 360 version. Keeping FFXIII on the PS3 exclusively would probably be SquareEnix's biggest financial blunder since that terrible movie. A 360 version would certainly sell well in the West.

I guess the biggest question in my mind is how desperate SE is to keep people in Japan buying the series. Maybe they'll split the franchise, so to speak, with a more traditional, turn-based FF on the Wii for Japan, and the big cinematic FFXIII on PS3/360 for the west.

I think the thing S-E should be most worried about is the fact that Nintendo recently bought a controlling share in Monolithsoft. Nintendo now essentially has their own accomplished RPG studio.

You know both Nintendo & S-E have got to be thinking that an epic, Xenosaga or Baiten Kaitos styled RPG, with that respected Nintendo polish and (more importantly) a Nintendo advertising budget, released around the same time could make FFXIII irrelavent, or at least steal a lot of it's thunder.

It's sort of an unstated threat, along the lines of, "The Crystal Bearers better be hot shit, S-E, or we will end you."

KINGMOKU

RiskyChris said:
Makes sense. I don't at all mean to insinuate that Sony the megacorp would go down in flames, just that Sony would reconsider what value they place on being in the video game market.
That actually applies to Microsoft more then to Sony.

They havnt made a dime off the game biz. People within that company have to be wondering why the hell they ever got into it in the first place.

Log4Girlz

RiskyChris said:

Holy crap, I had no idea... Nintendo really has their shit on lockdown. Iwata's doing good things.

Nintendo road through quite a few disappointments, I believe Sony will as well. They still remember what its like to be on top.

Xavien said:

Crazy World eh?

I never knew this... I thought it was still David and Goliath kind of comparison?
Are we talking just the games division of Sony or the whole pie?

Branduil

Log4Girlz said:
Nintendo road through quite a few disappointments, I believe Sony will as well. They still remember what its like to be on top.

Nintendo always made a profit, and in the worst of times they still had a system that sold over 70m million worldwide.

Ceebs

moku said:
That actually applies to Microsoft more then to Sony.

They havnt made a dime off the game biz. People within that company have to be wondering why the hell they ever got into it in the first place.

I was under the impression that Microsoft were in the industry for the sole purpose of keeping Sony from achieving their goal of crating a living room "multimedia hub" unopposed.

USC-fan

Banned
Xavien said:

Crazy World eh?
wow really??

nintendo market cap was just $23 billion in june of last year. :lol :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Smiles and Cries said:

I could imagine Howard Stringer is pretty pissed.

Especially since the game section was traditionally the consistent profitable division.

laserbeam

Banned
Kbsmoker said:
wow really??

Yeah its on an insane rise. think it was last month the cap Grew 8 Billion in a week. Its stock is trading at 42.85 now when last year around this time it was about 23 dollars.

Xavien

Kbsmoker said:
wow really??

Indeed, Take a look at this:

Nintendo (NTDOY)
http://new.quote.com/stocks/overview.action?s=NTDOY

Sony (SNE), Whole Company:
http://new.quote.com/stocks/overview.action?sym=SNE

Check Market Cap on both Companies, not that far apart...

For comparision (just to show how much bigger Microsoft is, compared to the other two):

Microsoft (MSFT), whole company:
http://new.quote.com/stocks/overview.action?sym=MSFT

Eteric Rice

Holy shit, I didn't know they were worth 50 billion. Didn't MS try to buy them for like 9 billion a while back? If so, holy shit they grew FAST.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This Week Sales:

mc-sales-070507.jpg

Since 11/27/07:
24 Total Weeks of Next Gen sales.
18 Total Weeks of post-holiday sales.

360 - Established Trend: 2-4k. Next Gen Avg = 7,764. Post Holiday Avg = 4,301.
Wii - Back to cycle: 55-78k. Next Gen Avg = 101,015. Post Holiday Avg = 72,744.
PS3 - Falling Trend: 8-13k. Next Gen Avg = 36,811. Post Holiday Avg = 19,775.

mc-weekly-24.jpg

mc-LTDs-24.jpg

Results, Analysis, & Expectations
&#9679; The 360's sales are insignificant. They will not hit 1 million units before its successor is announced. 2k-5k per week for the foreseeable future.

&#9679; The PS3's sales are insignificant. Almost irrelevant. 8-13k for the foreseeable future.

&#9679; The Wii definitely returned to earth this week, and is definitely on a down-swing week of its established cycle. Sales should hover between 55k-78k for the summer.

Expectations for 05/14-05/20
360 - 2.8k*
Wii - 66k <-- Overestimated by 27k last week
PS3 - 10k*

* = within 3k estimation success the previous week!

This Week's Market Share:

mc-marketshare-070507.jpg

LTD Market Share Week-to-Week

Code:
Date____               360             Wii             PS3
11/27-12/03:            25%             49%             26%
12/04-12/10:            24%             49%             27%
12/11-12/17:            21%             50%             29%
12/18-12/24:            17%             57%             26%
12/25-12/31:            16%             56%             28%
01/01-01/07:            15%             58%             27%
01/08-01/14:            14%             59%             27%
01/15-01/21:            14%             60%             26%
01/22-01/28:            13%             60%             26%
01/29-02/04:            13%             61%             26%
02/05-02/11:            13%             61%             26%
02/12-02/18:            13%             62%             26%
02/19-02/25:            12%             62%             25%
03/26-03/04:            12%             62%             26%
03/05-03/11:            12%             62%             26%
03/12-03/18:            11%             62%             26%
03/19-03/25:            11%             63%             26%
03/26-04/01:            11%             63%             26%
04/02-04/08:            11%             63%             26%
04/09-04/15:            11%             64%             26%
04/16-04/22:            10%             64%             25%
04/23-04/29:            10%             65%             25%
04/30-05/06:            10%             66%             24%
05/07-05/13:            10%             66%             24%

Significant Notes:
&#9679; Wii has a 1.5k lead on the PS3 after 24 weeks. That's 62k more per week.
&#9679; The 360 hit 360k units this week!
&#9679; Only 63.5k home consoles sold this week. 83% were Wii units.

Thoughts
The Wii is definitely in a shipment cycle. Notice how it keeps going up and down at fairly predictable intervals. Up week next week is my estimation. Really shocking at how quickly Nintendo has seized the generation.

For those of you thinking a price cut would be appropriate for the PS3, think again. It's too late for that, as cuts tend to work for great selling products in the next stage of their life cycle. At this point, I think a redesign is in order, and it might actually be met with success. Quietly push the PS3 into it's oversized craftmatic bed of retirement, and introduce the new, slim, beautiful, and more-cheaply made PSThwii. Include rumble, too. Launch at Christmas 2008 with FFXIII (major moneyhats to maintain SE's last faith) and MGS4. $329. Any higher and kiss your home-console-making-ass goodbye.

Pretend this whole other debacle never happened.

laserbeam

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Holy shit, I didn't know they were worth 50 billion. Didn't MS try to buy them for like 9 billion a while back? If so, holy shit they grew FAST.

There was some rumbling Gates may have offered as high as 25 billion for them. unconfirmed as gates isnt gonna say it but he has offered 50 billion for yahoo so its believable.

What the hell?!

Nintendo worth more than Sony? Holy shit, I had no idea. Rise to heaven indeed, Yamauchi. I'm.... Wow, geez. Thus far, this has all been a game to me. Video games sales, you know? But if Nintendo manages to grow beyond Sony Corp., well, shit.

Hats off to your business acumen, Nintendo. I hope to work with you.

Ceebs said:
I was under the impression that Microsoft were in the industry for the sole purpose of keeping Sony from achieving their goal of crating a living room "multimedia hub" unopposed.

Without MS in gaming Sony would be doing so much better right now. MS should have went into Software parts of gaming and not Hardware.

If I was a Sony fan I would hate MS right now

apujanata

Saitou said:

What is the market cap for Nintendo and Sony (all) for the last 5 years ? Just wanted to get some feeling about movement to get to 50 Billion and 56 Billion in 2007.

Eteric Rice

FlightOfHeaven said:
What the hell?!

Nintendo worth more than Sony? Holy shit, I had no idea. Rise to heaven indeed, Yamauchi. I'm.... Wow, geez. Thus far, this has all been a game to me. Video games sales, you know? But if Nintendo manages to grow beyond Sony Corp., well, shit.

Hats off to your business acumen, Nintendo. I hope to work with you.

I know. And all they sell is video games, playing cards, and maybe some toys here and there. Sony has divisions all over the place in all kinds of markets. For Nintendo to match them like that is madness!

Man, I feel like I did back when I was 12, watching DBZ with the whole, "MY POWER LEVEL IS NOW 1,000,000!!1" I'm all shocked and stuff. :O

What's even scarier? There's no sign of them slowing down.

It probably won't affect the company as a whole(i.e. it won't shut Sony down) but they could still potentially affect the gaming division quite severely. If it gets really bad, they could go third party. It probably won't happen this gen, but if the decline continues unto next gen, maybe. Sony doesn't have Mario and Pokemon.

Deku

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
I know. And all they sell is video games, playing cards, and maybe some toys here and there. Sony has divisions all over the place in all kinds of markets. For Nintendo to match them like that is madness!

Market cap only. It's what the market thinks a company is worth. It indirectly incorporates the worth of LPP (land, property, equipment) IPs and the like. this doesn't measure actual worth in accounting terms though the market would obviously have to take accounting valuations into consideration when they are purchasing stock, which should in turn be reflected on a company's market cap. Markets though sometimes see intangible things accountants can't see and companies can be undervalued/overvalued in this way. Nintendo was clearly undervalued for a long time and they still are.

Saitou has the right idea. The real impressive thing here is how Nintendo, with a narrow focus in business has managed to turn its line of business and the flow of all future profits to be the size of a Sony. It was unthinkable even in Nintendo's old heyday in the 80s and early 90s.

Xavien

Eteric Rice said:

Man, I feel like I did back when I was 12, watching DBZ with the whole, "MY POWER LEVEL IS NOW 1,000,000!!1" I'm all shocked and stuff. :O

What's even scarier? There's no sign of them slowing down.

To be fair Sony is restricted in Market Cap 'because' they are in so many markets, they have a lot of competition, competition that is more focused in those markets then they are (Like Nintendo). Back in 2003-2004 Sony was in worse shape, Playstation was their only money-maker and their competition was attacking them from all sides, they were unable to cope. Stringer however, came in and changed all that, Sony's Market Cap went from $41Billion in early 2006 to $56Billion now, he is doing good things for the company, just not as amazing as Iwata. :)

Nintendo is focused in one market, luckily that market is growing and could make them a very big company in the end.

titiklabingapat said:
It probably won't affect the company as a whole(i.e. it won't shut Sony down) but they could still potentially affect the gaming division quite severely. If it gets really bad, they could go third party. It probably won't happen this gen, but if the decline continues unto next gen, maybe. Sony doesn't have Mario and Pokemon.
Actually, because their gaming section is so badly screwed for the foreseeable future, I think it depends on how their other divisions do. Right now +/- a couple of years, their movie and TV divisions are doing awesome. With movies, success comes and goes, so there's little ability to predict how the next few years will treat them. But with the rapidly falling prices of HDTVs and the gaining of popularity by competitors, I think Sony will get hurt in the display panel department. It's interesting times, indeed.

One factor to consider, though, is that no matter how badly they screw up, their brand name will earn them massive trust, loans, and even amnesty from other corporations and organizations.

apujanata

Xavien said:
To be fair Sony is restricted in Market Cap 'because' they are in so many markets, they have a lot of competition, competition that is more focused in those markets then they are (Like Nintendo). Back in 2003-2004 Sony was in worse shape, Playstation was their only money-maker and their competition was attacking them from all sides, they were unable to cope. Stringer however, came in and changed all that, Sony's Market Cap went from $41Billion in early 2006 to $56Billion now, he is doing good things for the company, just not as amazing as Iwata. :)

Nintendo is focused in one market, luckily that market is growing and could make them a very big company in the end.

I don't believe luck play a major part in Nintendo's success with DS (and Wii).

Top Bottom