• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/7 - 5/13, PS3 < 10k

test_account

XP-39C²
DarkMehm said:
Could someone post the Famitsu Top 30 of the last week? :)

Taken from the previous MC thread:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/05/16/103,1179308618,71799,0,0.html

1. Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War (PSP)
2. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS)
3. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
4. Wii Sports (Wii)
5. More Brain Training (DS)
6. Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan (DS)
7. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
8. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Wii)
9. More English Training (DS)
10. Brain Training (DS)

DarkMehm

test_account said:
Taken from the previous MC thread:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/05/16/103,1179308618,71799,0,0.html

1. Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War (PSP)
2. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS)
3. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
4. Wii Sports (Wii)
5. More Brain Training (DS)
6. Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan (DS)
7. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
8. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Wii)
9. More English Training (DS)
10. Brain Training (DS)

not these. I want the Top 30 with sales numbers.

ziran

Slow sales week all round.

Whatever happens to FFXIII is immaterial imo, a main FF game will be coming to Wii, unless Sony (or MS) buys the franchise.

Like DQ, the hardcore only makes up a small percentage of potential FF buyers, the game's main audience is the mass market and this audience is flocking to Wii. Also, many people seem to be saying on 360 and PS3 sales could reach the previous game, but this is ignoring the fact the budgets are continually rising. S-E's aim with the series is to sell as many as possible, so imo it's doubtful they're ideal is ~5 million in sales, they'll be aiming higher, and thought using PS3's power to produce CG movie quality visuals throughout the game would do the trick.

With the rate Wii is selling, and considering there's already a potentially huge DQ game heading to the system, a main FF game built from the ground up on Wii released 2008/9 could sell FFVII/VIII levels, and reinvigorate the entire franchise, which needs to happen at some stage. Also, the potential for crossover games with Nintendo franchises is like money in the bank.

In 12 months time I think S-E, along with every other Japanese 3rd Party, will be major supporters of Wii.

test_account

XP-39C²
People that make games proffesionaly want the games to sell as much copies as possible of coure. But is this the only factor? Right now the Wii is selling at the fastest rate when we talk about consoles, so making games for it would have a bigger chance to sell more copies of the games. But wouldnt developers also want to make games for consoles where they have more possibilities? I mean, PS3 and 360 got more powerful hardware than Wii. Like wasnt FF7 suppose to be a N64 title in the first place, but they changed it to PSX because they had more possibilities because of the CD-media?

So it´s really below 10k, wow.
I thought it would be a bit above, since Famitsu-charts are always a bit lower.

As for SE´ biggest franchise:

In Japan alone, DQ is right, but world wide, it´s FF.

test_account said:
People that make games proffesionaly want the games to sell as much copies as possible of coure. But is this the only factor? Right now the Wii is selling at the fastest rate when we talk about consoles, so making games for it would have a bigger chance to sell more copies of the games. But wouldnt developers also want to make games for consoles where they have more possibilities? I mean, PS3 and 360 got more powerful hardware than Wii. Like wasnt FF7 suppose to be a N64 title in the first place, but they changed it to PSX because they had more possibilities because of the CD-media?
It's only guesswork on my side but apart from having more space on the medium there was also the issue of having higher costs (cards were only manufactured by Nintendo) and thus lower margins.

But FF experts probably have better insight.

ziran

test_account said:
I think it was as much to do with lower media costs and licensing fees, like Phife Dawg said, but you're right about PS3 and 360 being able to do more, the problem is the only people who appreciate this at the level we're at now are the hardcore. The Japanese mainstream doesn't care about graphics, so as mass market gaming devices PS3 and 360 have only disadvantages when compared Wii, which is new, fun, and reasonably priced.

PS3 and 360 completely misjudged the Japanese market, to the extent price isn't PS3's biggest problem, the version of gaming it's bringing to the table is.

ziran said:
Whatever happens to FFXIII is immaterial imo, a main FF game will be coming to Wii, unless Sony (or MS) buys the franchise.

Like DQ, the hardcore only makes up a small percentage of potential FF buyers, the game's main audience is the mass market and this audience is flocking to Wii. Also, many people seem to be saying on 360 and PS3 sales could reach the previous game, but this is ignoring the fact the budgets are continually rising. S-E's aim with the series is to sell as many as possible, so imo it's doubtful they're ideal is ~5 million in sales, they'll be aiming higher, and thought using PS3's power to produce CG movie quality visuals throughout the game would do the trick.

With the rate Wii is selling, and considering there's already a potentially huge DQ game heading to the system, a main FF game built from the ground up on Wii released 2008/9 could sell FFVII/VIII levels, and reinvigorate the entire franchise, which needs to happen at some stage. Also, the potential for crossover games with Nintendo franchises is like money in the bank.

In 12 months time I think S-E, along with every other Japanese 3rd Party, will be major supporters of Wii.

I think it's still a bit too early to make this kind of prediction/conclusion. A LOT of things can happen in the next 12 months which may change the scenario.

There is no doubt that PS3 is in big trouble right now, but I don't think Sony will just sit there waiting for it to die. I can foresee something big being done by Sony in the next 12 months. A (big?) price cut is almost inevitable, along with major title releases, "HOME", as well as other surprises.

Wii may look like the winner right now, but there are actually still some "hidden" problems. If you look at the Japanese market, the best-selling Wii titles were Wii Sports/Play at launch, and now, they still are. The sales of many other titles (especially third-party ones) are less than impressing, especially when you consider how well the hardware sales is doing right now. It seems quite a lot of people consider Wii somewhat just a dedicated machine for Wii Sports/Play right now. In NDS age, there were titles like Nintendog and Brain Training in similar time frames which actually paved the road of success for NDS, but for Wii, I don't foresee titles of such importantce in the near future.

And don't completely ignore XBOX360. It may be somewhat doomed in Japan, but the US market is still strong, and nowadays many titles are "international" instead of local.

AnimeTheme said:
I think it's still a bit too early to make this kind of "one-sided" prediction/conclusion. A LOT of things can happen in the next 12 months which may change the scenario.

There is no doubt that PS3 is in big trouble right now, but I don't think Sony will just sit there waiting for it to die. I can foresee something big being done by Sony in the next 12 months. A (big?) price cut is almost inevitable, along with major title releases, "HOME", as well as other surprises.

Wii may look like the winner right now, but there are actually still some "hidden" problems. If you look at the Japanese market, the best-selling Wii titles were Wii Sports/Play at launch, and now, they still are. The sales of many other titles (especially third-party ones) are less than impressing, especially when you consider how well the hardware sales is doing right now. It seems quite a lot of people consider Wii somewhat just a dedicated machine for Wii Sports/Play right now. In NDS age, there were titles like Nintendog and Brain Training in similar time frames which actually paved the road of success for NDS, but for Wii, I don't foresee titles of such importantce in the near future.

And don't completely ignore XBOX360. It may be somewhat doomed in Japan, but the US market is still strong, and nowadays many titles are "international" instead of local.

No, really, both the 360 and the Ps3 are dead in Japan.

GDGF

Soothsayer
AnimeTheme said:
I think it's still a bit too early to make this kind of prediction/conclusion. A LOT of things can happen in the next 12 months which may change the scenario.

There is absolutely nothing Microsoft or Sony can do to improve their rating of '****ed' in Japan this generation.

Terrell

AnimeTheme said:

Why not? They've left it for dead for the past 5 and a half months. Hell, they compounded the problem by opening their PR trash-holes at every opportunity. Why try making it better now, when they've done such a good job of making the problem worse?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
AnimeTheme said:

1) The third party statement needs to be put on hold until 3rd parties put in best efforts. At launch most Wii games were 4th string efforts. (though I think Elebits was robbed.)

2) There are several Wii Sports/Wii play type games on the horizon. I think Wii music is going to sell bucketloads.

3) I'm curious about the price cut. Can sony afford to lose that much? If things get worse, you have to ask is it more cost effective to a) quietly slow production, sell what's made at regular price and recoop as much loss as possible without digging deeper, or b)gamble by dropping the price and bleeding even more money with each console sold? Option 'b' means they will have to credit back retailers who have already purchased PS3s.

People throw out the word price cut like it's that simple, i really don't think it is.

AnimeTheme said:

Well this is the japanese sales thread. Honestly I don't think either MS or Sony can turn it around in Japan. MS doesn't really need to be discussed and after Gamer's day I can't see anything in the near future that could really turn heads. I mean it was a US-centered show but from the titles seen there I can only see Eye of Judgement spark some interest in Japan. Home is a non-factor and I don't think uncharted, HS, Warhawk etc. are going to cut it in Japan either. Sony has dropped the ball in Japan, if Hotshots Golf isn't sparking some kind of new life into the PS3 I can see it dropping to even lower levels.

iammeiam

AnimeTheme said:
It seems quite a lot of people consider Wii somewhat just a dedicated machine for Wii Sports/Play right now. In NDS age, there were titles like Nintendog and Brain Training in similar time frames which actually paved the road of success for NDS, but for Wii, I don't foresee titles of such importantce in the near future.

There doesn't need to be a Nintendogs on the horizon for the Wii--it launched with it. Wii Sports is the barrier-breaking frothing-demand-fueling ridiculously-long-lasting-suppy-constraint-creating Nintendogs for the Wii. Nintendo's planning follow-ups in a similar vein, but they won't have the impact Nintendogs had largely because the Wii is in a much better position than the DS was in its lifecycle.

nli10

moku said:
That actually applies to Microsoft more then to Sony.

They havnt made a dime off the game biz. People within that company have to be wondering why the hell they ever got into it in the first place.

Due to the Xbox I now hate Microsoft slightly less. Positive M$ spin from the 16-24 Males was one of the main reasons they stated for entering the console space. It's basically one big PR campaign.

Vagabundo

nli10 said:
Due to the Xbox I now hate Microsoft slightly less. Positive M$ spin from the 16-24 Males was one of the main reasons they stated for entering the console space. It's basically one big PR campaign.

The way they ended support for the XBOX 1 lost them a lot of that positive buzz.

Wiitard

Banned
nli10 said:

I doubt there ever have been a company stupid enough to try to achieve a target in such an indirect and costly way.

World pop of 16-24 males = 300 million or so.

Losses on Xbox > 6 billions.

MS could have given every single 16-24 male in the world $20 for the price of Xbox venture.

I think MS entering the gaming market mainly to prime spot in their customers' living room.

Sony clearly try to put Playstation as the connected media center and I think MS try to protect its interest in Home Multimedia market.

With XBOX 360 and Windows Vista, I think MS did pretty well in this area.

thefro

Wii's only a couple months away from passing 360 in US + Japan sales. Worldwide (and US-only) sales will take a bit longer.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I just wish FFXIII would either be announced as exclusive to PS3 or get the port-job - that way MC threads wouldn't turn into pointless arguments about the state of a game series that is far beyond its use by date.

Deku

Banned
It's PS3 exclusive and surely you would buy a PS3 for XIII. I'm sure it would have dropped in price by over $1000 dollars by then.

Deku said:
It's PS3 exclusive and surely you would buy a PS3 for XIII. I'm sure it would have dropped in price by over $1000 dollars by then.

I wouldn't. The only FF game I'd buy a system for would be FFIX.

(Well, maybe a compilation of classic FFs on a single cart/disc. But then it's not really a single FF game anymore.)

test_account

XP-39C²
Phife Dawg said:
It's only guesswork on my side but apart from having more space on the medium there was also the issue of having higher costs (cards were only manufactured by Nintendo) and thus lower margins.

But FF experts probably have better insight.

ziran said:
I think it was as much to do with lower media costs and licensing fees, like Phife Dawg said, but you're right about PS3 and 360 being able to do more, the problem is the only people who appreciate this at the level we're at now are the hardcore. The Japanese mainstream doesn't care about graphics, so as mass market gaming devices PS3 and 360 have only disadvantages when compared Wii, which is new, fun, and reasonably priced.

PS3 and 360 completely misjudged the Japanese market, to the extent price isn't PS3's biggest problem, the version of gaming it's bringing to the table is.

Ah yes, thats right. I didnt think about that now, its much cheaper to produce CDs than cartridges. I'm sure that was one big factor, but not the only one. Didnt PSX only sell like 1 million consoles the first year before FF7 came out? I think N64 sold much more than that within the same time period.

Deku

Banned
Pureauthor said:
I wouldn't. The only FF game I'd buy a system for would be FFIX.

(Well, maybe a compilation of classic FFs on a single cart/disc. But then it's not really a single FF game anymore.)

Only the power of Blu Ray can deliver such classics as FFX-2 on the same disc as Mystic Quest.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Deku said:
I'd buy a PS3 for MGS4, but let's not get into that fiasco.

test_account said:

Square made a big, big mess-up moving FFXIII from PS2 to PS3. It would have sold an absolute shit-ton on PS2, and given Square's mastery of the system I bet it still would've looked fantastic.

What they've done on PS3 is very impressive, but it was such a waste to ditch development on the PS2 version. They should've waited for the next FF (or the FFVII remake, whatever) before commiting to the PS3. Management letting the team switch consoles like that was almost as stupid as Sony management letting Kutaragi loose on development of the PS3 itself...

As a fan, as well, I'm pretty pissed that I'm not playing FFXIII on the PS2 right now - that, as things stand, it is merely acting as a PS3 tech demo.

Anyway, FFXIII won't end up on the Wii. It will sell less than most recent instalments, and Square will be expecting this. But worldwide, it should still do well enough to turn a profit.

test_account

XP-39C²
tebiro boy said:
Square made a big, big mess-up moving FFXIII from PS2 to PS3. It would have sold an absolute shit-ton on PS2, and given Square's mastery of the system I bet it still would've looked fantastic.

What they've done on PS3 is very impressive, but it was such a waste to ditch development on the PS2 version. They should've waited for the next FF (or the FFVII remake, whatever) before commiting to the PS3. Management letting the team switch consoles like that was almost as stupid as Sony management letting Kutaragi loose on development of the PS3 itself...

As a fan, as well, I'm pretty pissed that I'm not playing FFXIII on the PS2 right now - that, as things stand, it is merely acting as a PS3 tech demo.

Anyway, FFXIII won't end up on the Wii. It will sell less than most recent instalments, and Square will be expecting this. But worldwide, it should still do well enough to turn a profit.

Who knows, it might have sold alot more on PS2 than PS3, but the opposite can happend too. We'll just have to wait and see. My point (which i had a joke spin on it) was that so many people say "move games to Wii, its selling like crazy". Shall every developers only make games for the console that sell the most? If so, why not make all games for PS2 for consoles and all games for DS for handhelds? ;)

I change my previous quote to this:

Vinnk said:
Square Exec #1: Err.. our biggest franchise is Final Fantasy.

Square Exec #2: Well.. where did we put that?

Square Exec #1: On PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii, Mobile and 360 (possibly).

:)

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Didnt PSX only sell like 1 million consoles the first year before FF7 came out? I think N64 sold much more than that within the same time period.
First of all, FFVII was released January 31 1997 which was slightly over two years after the release of the PS1. Secondly, the N64 had by then only been out for 7 months as was hopelessly behind.

Aeris130

Sub 10k at last. Hopefully 360 will see a spike just for the sheer fun of it, but I don't think anyone (outside Gaf) cares any longer. With no word from Sony, I'm getting curious as to what they plan to do about this. But whatever happens, won't happen until Wii health/music arrives.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
First of all, FFVII was released January 31 1997 which was slightly over two years after the release of the PS1. Secondly, the N64 had by then only been out for 7 months as was hopelessly behind.

Can i get the sale numbers for PSX and N64 at that time?

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
tebiro boy said:

Oh well... asking FFXIII for the PS3 was a bit out of place I guess. I know you're right saying that It would sell tons more on the PS2, but seeing how Square Projected the whole FFXIII with three games on the PS3 and various spinoff for others platforms... they're going to make gold from the project.

They making and engine, and asset of art... and they're making three games. This is like dividing production cost into 3. Also, this is a project of future. No one can't blame Square Enix for trusting before hand on to the PS3. It was common sense I guess. A year ago everyone said that PS3 was the biggest thing in the universe, so putting their efforts into developing a hell of good engine was the right choice for them.

They are going to milk that engine with tons of games during the coming years on to the PS3, so I'm sure they're not worry.

Instead of that, I'm sure that they're happy with the project and now what they need is putting effort on other platforms to make more money. That's why they licensed UN3 and they're making Last Remmant, and that's why they're putting games on the DS, PSP and the Wii.

They know that their big thing is the project FFXIII and that when it's finished, it's going to be a gold mine.

Mar

BrodiemanTTR said:
ovetskinsmallmu8.gif

Is that guy pulling off his forehead or something?

I have to say. I really, really, REALLY, hate this avatar. I have to simply scroll past it every time. There's just something about it that sickens me.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
By the end of 96, PS1 lead N64 by roughly 4.5 to 1.5 million sold. (I.e a 3 million unit lead.)

Ok thanks, but can i get a source? :) Also remember that FF7 development wasnt started at the end of 96. It probly took like 2-3 years to make that game, meaning it was started around 1995 and how well was PSX selling then?

creamsugar said:
Ouendan 2 (DS) - 35k

Not too bad at all. Would first week sales of 50k+ be out of the question? Even if it only manages 35k first week, that's a huge improvement on the original - wasn't that something like 10-11k for first week?

Top Bottom