• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/18 - 6/24

Linkup

Deku said:
NSMB's commercial success hides the fact that artistically it was mediocre at best. I really didn't enjoy the game as much as I wanted to.

We've got another amir0x on our hands.

cvxfreak

I really enjoyed NSMB's graphics and gameplay. The music wasn't memorable, but I could forgive that in exchange for the solid gameplay. I like Super Mario 64, Super Mario USA and Super Mario World better than NSMB, but it's leagues beyond SMB3 for me.

sphinx

the piano man
NSMB is a game designed specifically for those who stopped playing video games after the NES mario games.

I can fully understand the disappointment of people who have been playing many walkthoughs of each and every single Mario game that has appeared. For those guys, NSMB isn't precisely something to be thrilled about.

However,think about all those who are 8 to 12 years old who will play a Mario game for the first time or the lapsed gamer who thinks " I used to like it, I might like it now as well ". For those consumers, NSMB is the BEST game they could have ever bought for their newly aquired DS.

To finish, I think no single piece of software will be as attractive in the whole generation as NSMB, including all the libraries from PSP,PS3,WII,360.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
sphinx said:
However,think about all those who are 8 to 12 years old who will play a Mario game for the first time or the lapsed gamer who thinks " I used to like it, I might like it now as well ". For those consumers, NSMB is the BEST game they could have ever bought for their newly aquired DS.

DSWii60

NomarTyme said:
I didn't really enjoy NSMB. I don't why, but I didn't have fun playing it at all.

When did you start gaming? If you started in the Playstation-Era that might explain it i.e. you have no affection for 2D gaming.

New Super Mario Bros. has much more in common with Mario 3 from a level design point of view, only without the power ups. I don't understand how anybody could be "oh shit, this stuff is too simplified for me". I mean...seriously, all that was lacking was a flying item. EVERYTHING from a design point of view was not majorly different from the other games.

lancubap

NSMB was great: amusing and immediate. It had all the spirit that made the NES a big success. It resumes quite well all the essence of 2D Mario games.

Matchew

DSWii60 said:
When did you start gaming? If you started in the Playstation-Era that might explain it i.e. you have no affection for 2D gaming.

Wrong....

I agree with NomarTyme NSMB was for me pretty horrible. It had dull levels and music.

When I look back at Mario bros 3 I remember the giant world being freaking awesome. I can't remember a single world in NSMB

I think the guy talking about how NSMB was perfect for the lapsed gamers has it DEAD ON. Casual gamers or gamers getting back into gaming or new gamers should all find something to love in New Super Mario Bros. (which I think is why it's counted a touch generation title).

I loved NSMB myself. I think the levels needed more vertical aspects and memorable music, but other than that the graphics, gameplay and just the feel of the game was great.

NSMB2 should be awesome. Oddly enough, I didn't care much for SMB3

Evlar

Banned
SFGamer said:
Wrong....

I agree with NomarTyme NSMB was for me pretty horrible. It had dull levels and music.

When I look back at Mario bros 3 I remember the giant world being freaking awesome. I can't remember a single world in NSMB
So it's nostalgia in your case.

SFGamer said:
Wrong....

There was the water world. And ice world. And fire world. And basically every other ****ing world from Mario 3.

New Super Mario Bros. succeeded brilliantly at being what it was supposed to be: a new Super Mario game (duh) aimed to succeed through nostalgia for the 2D games. I thought it was great--I would've loved to see it do more than it did (ie. continue to evolve the way SMB1-3-SMW did and have a bigger, more complex world), but I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't more simplistic, along the lines of SMB1. That's the one that carries the real nostalgic value, not 3. I really thought that to hit the demographic they wanted to, they'd dumb it down to be nearly just another SMB2/Lost Levels-type game. Instead they put out a very worthy entry into the whole series...it just isn't SMB4.

If you know what I mean...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
SFGamer said:
Wrong....

"Not awesome" is not "pretty horrible".

Instead of DS sequels like New SMB2 or MP Hunters 2, I want to see some franchise revivals.

Excitebike, Balloon Fight, maybe a Touch! Sports game (not exactly an old franchise, but kinda), Ice Climbers, Clu Clu Land, etc.

Imagine Ice Climbers - it would focus on platform elements more with a mode for scrolling, climbing levels (with the dual screen acting as one tall screen!). Give it touch controls, create-a-level, and multiplayer co-op/counter-op (for instance, in co-op, players could be connected by the tether, so it would require that both succeed).

Excitebike is self-explanatory - create-a-track, cel-shaded 3D (but play like the original), online play/leaderboards, etc. It'd be AWESOME.

Balloon Fight is self-explanatory! Customizable characters, create-a-level, online play/leaderboards, and more fleshed out than Balloon Fight was (maybe give it boss battles). Also, incorporate the side-scrolling gameplay of Balloon Kid - make it half Balloon Fight, half Balloon Kid.

Clu Clu Land would rock - creating your own levels and maybe using the touch screen to control.

And of course, Touch! Sports. Sell it for $30.00, release DS Lite bundles with it. Put golf, tennis, boxing, baseball, bowling, and a few other sports games (to set it apart from Wii Sports). Wouldn't be as interesting as Wii Sports, but I'd buy it if they made it great.

justchris

TheGreatDave said:
They're my two complaints too. I don't really care too much about power ups (the most well loved one from Mario 3 is basically a gimmick). But the music...I don't know who was in charge of it (was it the chick that did Yoshi T&G?) but I really don't like the direction they took, other than having the enemies react to it slightly.

How do you figure Kuribo's Shoe is a gimmick? Kuribo's Shoe is awesome. I am replacing my car with a giant Kuribo's Shoe replica.

Epiphyte

Stumpokapow said:
"Not awesome" is not "pretty horrible".
Nintendo games can only be earth shatteringly awesome or complete shit.

Sunshine: Shit
Double Dash: Shit
Echoes: Shit

GAF brooks no middle ground. Considering a game flawed but still good is a sign of weakness.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Excellent debut for Zelda. It sold more than The Minish Cap LTD sales in a matter of days.

VerTiGo

Banned
Speaking of NSMBs.... I think it's crap. I very much prefer all home console 2D Mario games before it and by a large margin. This isn't nostalgia either. As far as I'm concerned though, I much prefer the 3D Mario games anyway.

justchris said:
How do you figure Kuribo's Shoe is a gimmick? Kuribo's Shoe is awesome. I am replacing my car with a giant Kuribo's Shoe replica.

I meant Tanooki Suit. I thought the kids all loved the strange statue changing shit?

The shoe was cool though. For the one level it was useful...

TJ Spyke

Epiphyte said:

GAF brooks no middle ground. Considering a game flawed but still good is a sign of weakness.

Wow, are you a gamer? All 3 of those are really good games.

Nevermind, I just got the sarcasm.

Kuribo's Shoe is overated. It was only in 1 level, and wasn't even that good of an item.

Leondexter said:
New Super Mario Bros...it just isn't SMB4.

If you know what I mean...

I do know what you mean.

smb4.jpg

KevinRo

Epiphyte said:

Go die.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
TheGreatDave said:
I meant Tanooki Suit. I thought the kids all loved the strange statue changing shit?

The shoe was cool though. For the one level it was useful...

I thought you were referring to the hammer suit for some reason. Forgot about those other ones, heh.

NSMB was great. Would have liked it better if there were some other powerups, sprite graphics, and better music. But the game was so brilliantly designed, the flaws didn't matter too much in the end.

28./27. [NDS] Kekkaishi: Tale of the Raven Forest (Bandai-Namco)
29./00. [NDS] Cooking Navi: All-Empire Hotel (Koei)
30./20. [NDS] Common Knowledge Training (Nintendo)
31./31. [WII] Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Capcom)
32./12. [PS2] Hisshou Pachinko/Pachislo Capture Series, Vol. 10: CR Neon Geneses Evangelion (D3 Publisher)
33./25. [WII] Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Nintendo)
34./34. [NDS] Pokémon Pearl (Pokemon)
35./02. [360] Trusty Bell ~Chopin's Dream~ (Bandai-Namco)
36./26. [NDS] Phoenix Wright 4 (Capcom)
37./00. [PSP] Smash Court Tennis 3 (Bandai-Namco)
38./32. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
39./29. [NDS] Kurikin: Nano Island Story (Nintendo)
40./22. [PSP] Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road (Bandai-Namco)
41./33. [NDS] Kanji Test (Rocket Co.)
42./24. [PSP] Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War (Square-Enix)
43./36. [NDS] Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (Nintendo)
44./42. [NDS] Word Puzzle Mojipittan DS (Bandai-Namco)
45./28. [WII] Harvest Moon: Tree of Peace (Marvelous Interactive)
46./23. [PSP] Final Fantasy II (Square-Enix)
47./35. [NDS] Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (Square-Enix)
48./39. [NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters Joker (Square-Enix)
49./14. [PS3] Call of Duty 3 (Spike)
50./38. [NDS] Big Brain Academy (Nintendo)

NDS - 30
WII - 7
PSP - 5
PS2 - 3
PS3 - 3
360 - 2

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   163,918 |   118,684 | 3,814,038 | 17,819,717
2. WII   -    65,582 |    65,521 | 1,880,933 |  2,800,576
3. PSP   -    32,984 |    33,359 | 1,044,842 |  5,576,971
4. PS2   -    11,962 |    11,974 |   404,057 | 20,558,916
5. PS3   -     9,581 |     9,481 |   481,017 |    938,575
6. 360   -     3,369 |     7,583 |   115,429 |    380,131
7. GBA   -       414 |       867 |    40,232 | 15,338,311
8. NGC   -        82 |       223 |     8,308 |  4,177,776
GBA = 0 GBA + 130 SP + 284 Micro
NDS = 30 DS + 163,888 Lite

s_20070618.png

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, Wii sales/shipments are now remarkably consistent

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
TheGreatDave said:
I liked the polygon use. It gave the game a flow when it came to animation. Wall jumping as a sprite wouldn't have been as cool.

Not really against the polygons, just that pixely look annoyed me. I wouldn't mind at all if they tried something like that on Wii.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
By my unofficial no-solid-Europe sales estimates, Wii is over 8M.

Avrum said:
Wii to hit 3 million before PS3 hits 1 million confirmed?

Weeks 'til Wii hits 3m at this rate: 3.0408343752859016193467719801165
Weeks 'til PS3 hits 1m at this rate: 6.4111261872455902306648575305292

Yes.

Avrum said:
Wii to hit 3 million before PS3 hits 1 million confirmed?

3-4 weeks for the Wii.
In 4 weeks, PS3 will probably still be 20k away from 1 mio.
So, yeah, near to confirmed.

Also, i wonder what could change that picture. Wii is constantly sold-out. When the big games are being released, there´re probably riots to get a Wii.
On the other hand, PS3 is very little games that can be considered top sellers. That golf game should be one, and then there´s FF13.
2 games to change the tide?

sphinx

the piano man
I actually expected more from DS.

there were lines for a pink DS and also for a Black DS with shitty winning eleven. Why couldn't a nice silver model with Zelda reach the same level of expectation??

:(

Top Bottom