• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Darji said:
sure its not the first mario party but you must see it in realation with the other titles i just niamed.

Hmm lets see, Excite Truck and Donkey Kong Jet Race are brand new racing games which are exclusive to Nintendo. What is the exclusive PS3 racing game? Motorstorm. You see, both consoles have exclusive racing games. What the hell are you naming those two games for.

Fire Emblem? Why is that on the list, again It's and exclusive Nintendo game that is relatively new (outside of Japan).

Why is Zelda and Mario on your list? It's a franchise that's very old and still continuing, just like umm... Final Fantasy?

Why is Big Brain Academy and WarioWare on your list? Mini-Games is now accepted as a GENRE. It's like me listing a whole bucnh of xbox games coz they are FPS. If you don't like to accept mini-games as a genre, you can also call them party games or puzzle games to an extent. But accept that it is a genre.

Your list makes no sense.

ziran

jimbo said:
I'm talking about games outside the obvious. It's either the old Nintendo treatment or the new Nintendo treatment, both of which are perfect examples of how to go AROUND the core gamer.

You know how I know they're not catering to the core gamer....because it's been forever since I even entered a Wii game thread, last one being the Mario Galaxy one. I know exactly what to expect. Now I don't own a Wii, a PS3 or a PC capable of running anything decent...but damn if I won't drool as some of the stuff coming out on those platforms. But Wii? Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Every time there's an interesting Wii thread arund, it's about sales. But games that actually attract me? Little to none.

And I am a CORE gamer. Heck I used to be jealous of games coming out on consoles I didn't own. But the only thing to really be jealous of with the Wii, is sales.
So? :lol

I'm a core gamer, and have been playing videogames since the late 70s, and have owned just about every gaming system there's been, yet there's **** all on 360 I'd bother to even look at, never mind play, it's completely irrelevant to me, and nothing in its future is the slightest bit interesting, so does it follow 360 isn't catering to core gamers?

No, of course not.

Just because the system has nothing worth playing only means it's irrelevant to me. In the same way, just because Wii doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean it's not appealing to core gamers, it just means it isn't appealing to you.

This thread is amazing. PS3 gets a boost in sales, and 360 sales move from unnoticeable to shite, and crazy alternate realities are revealed! :lol

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu numbers

PS3 38,000
PS2 14,000
Wii 70,000
360 3,800

1. [Wii] Mario Party 8 - 280,000
2. [PS3] Minna no Golf 5 - 176,000
3. [NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS - 90,000
4. [NDS] Its a Wonderful World - 81,000
5. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 14 - 53,000(~200,000)
6. [360] Oblivion - 45,000
7. [Wii] Gundam MS 0079 - 44,000
8. [PSP] GTA LCS - 39,000
9. [Wii] Dragon Quest Swords - 32,000(~400,000)
10. [NDS] Zelda Phantom Hourglass - 32,000 (~680,000)

13. PS2 パチパラ14 - 24,000
14. --- MGS BOX - 24,000
18. PS2 KOF Maximum Impact A - 18,000
20. PS3 Wangan Midnight - 18,000
25. PS2 Shake II - 16,000
30. PSP Piposaru Daisakusen - 13,000
... NDS Simple DS Vol 18 Gunground - 2,600
... ??? Major League - 1,600
... Wii Dewy's Adventure - 1,200
... Wii Guilty Gear - 900
... ??? むこうぶち - 650

I'll continue translating...

So IAWW did actually have some good sales considering it apparently had no hype going for it. Zelda continues to hang around in the top 10 too.

jimbo said:
Now I don't particularly care for Metroid and SSB. Zelda and Mario are more my style, but I am not saying Metroid and SSB are NOT core games. They are. I am saying.....looking forward.....what's there? Outside of those what's there?

Where's Nintendo's next big new IP for the core? Where are the next big third party core games?

So you're saying, outside of the many announced core games, there aren't any? Listen to yourself. It sounds like the sales arguments you hear in these threads: "If you don't count everything that sells well, nothing sells well on Nintendo platforms".

So now we get the same argument on the game side? "If you don't count all the core games, the Wii has no core games". Silly.

And supposedly Miyamoto is going to announce a new IP soon. Let's see what that is, shall we? I'm surprised they'd do any, actually; they have fans clamoring for sequels to so many franchises already, even long-dead ones like Kid Icarus.

jimbo said:
I don't get it. I don't think Wii fans like me :(

i am going to sound rather blunt here for a junior. but may i make a bold, educated guess?

maybe it is because you sound like a broken record. it is not as if wii fans didnt have to put up with this kind of argument before.

WildArms

Darji said:
yeah but Sony is publishing and getting many new games. Its not only about sequels you know?

And I assume these games are going to outsell GTA and Final Fantasy yes? Oh and also Nintendo are not creating any new games, because like Pikmin, Nintendogs, Brain Training are not new at all. They were out on the NES but were only played by people from Mars.

Oh and if you don't like Brain Training and Nintendogs, that is YOUR opinion. There are people out there who do like them, and people out there who LOVE the Nintendo sequals coming out 100 times mroe than anything the PlayStation has to offer. It's called different tastes.

jimbo

Banned
WildArms said:
Nintendo is same old same old? What are we getting on PS3? GTA 4, Final Fantasy god knows what, MGS 4, Tekken 6, Soul Calibur 4. Oh. Oh. Oh.

Nintendo isn't the first console out there to have sequals you know, jeez.

And don't forget, it's Nintendo who came up with a totally new controller. So even if they are sequals, they have the chance to be played differently. Whata bout the Playstation sequals. Oh even better graphics, lawl.

Wait just a second there buddy......I love Mario sequels and Zelda sequels(well most of them anyway)....this isn't about sequels. And when you look at the PS3 and the 360...yeah there's sequels but there's also Mass Effect, Assasin's Creed, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, and many, many more.

What I am asking is where are the Wii equivalents of those core games? First or third party? It's like Nintendo counts these on their hand. Ok..we took care of 2007 with Dragon Quest Swords.....what do we have for 2008?

WildArms

Now I don't particularly care for Metroid and SSB.

I don't particularly, or at all care for Resistance, Motorsotrm, GTA, MGS and FF. Uh oh. Now what. Is the universe going to explode?

jimbo said:
I'm sorry, but none of us can represent all the opinions of the masses right? What I am saying is there aren't that many core games that would appeal to core gamers, like myself, outside what we have been getting for the past 3 decades. And those games won't attract any core gamers that they haven't succesfully attracted by now by those games.

Now I don't particularly care for Metroid and SSB. Zelda and Mario are more my style, but I am not saying Metroid and SSB are NOT core games. They are. I am saying.....looking forward.....what's there? Outside of those what's there?

Where's Nintendo's next big new IP for the core? Where are the next big third party core games?

Nintendo's strategy is simple, but effective. For the core gamers, you have the same old same old. The Nintendo fan favorites. But looking forward, they are more interested in creating IP's that are mass-market ready, like Wii Fit.

I can't really say what the next big third party games are but I have my fingers crossed. Like I said, if sales continue like this and if there's substance to those rumours of shifting developer support, the Wii will get some big franchises. Further, Nintendo's strategy is anything but standard and run of the mill. If the DS phenomenon trickles down to the Wii in any percentage, the Wii will have a respectable core library that everyone can agree on.

Even if your take on Nintendo's strategy is correct, what is the problem when a sizeable contingent is content with it?

Darji

Banned
Why is the handheld market excluded from this? You said that Nintendo, as a company is now powerless in having systems that provide core experiences. Their handheld divisions prove otherwise and I think the Wii has a superb core line up for the coming months.

For me, Nintendo's holiday line up is the best of the three systems. Like I said earlier, this is all a matter of personal choices and preference. You can't just prance around and say a line up is better or worse.
sure it is a matter personel choices which lienup is the best. But that donesnt change the fact that the wii is getting less coregames than the other two systems.

but this is getting real tiresome lets just wait how it will develop in the near future but i have not much hope^^

XiaNaphryz said:
The meltdowns have started early this week, before the new Media Create thread is even up!

you know what is really silly about these meltdowns and "core-game defenders"

mina-no-golf is hardly a ****ing core game, at least not the type the others are trying so hard to defend anyway.

it really comes down to wanting your console of choice to succeed. they are just marching with a glorified slogan thats all.

WildArms

Mass Effect, Assasin's Creed, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword

Nope. I don't want any of those games. They mean nothing to me. You see, not everyone enjoys the same thing as you do. But I don't go around saying negative things about what Sony is doing. I prefer Mario Party 8 to those. Kill me if you must, I don't care. But it is proof that Nintendo isn't just catering to a big fat nobody, and the sales figures show this, and will continue to show this for as long as the next consoles come out.

Elios83

It's amazing how a few Nintendo fans feel insecure even when Nintendo is leading the market with sales :lol
PS3 had a really nice bump this week which proves that with a continous flow of good titles (not just one every three months) and a price cut sales can really get to an other level.
Oh and Xbox360 sales getting bumped up to 4k units thanks to OBLIVION!! Sakaguchi what? :D ;)

Jokeropia

jimbo said:
I'm sorry, but none of us can represent all the opinions of the masses right? What I am saying is there aren't that many core games that would appeal to core gamers, like myself, outside what we have been getting for the past 3 decades. And those games won't attract any core gamers that they haven't succesfully attracted by now by those games.
New IPs from Nintendo for core gamers? Excite Truck, Disaster: Day of Crisis (Monolith are part of Nintendo), Forever Blue (published by Nintendo) and Wii Sports also appeal to core gamers actually.

Next third party core games? Nights, No More Heroes, Project 0, Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk, Table Tennis, Bully: Scholarship edition etc. I'm not really that good at list wars so I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing too.

WildArms said:
Nope. I don't want any of those games. They mean nothing to me. You see, not everyone enjoys the same thing as you do. But I don't go around saying negative things about what Sony is doing. I prefer Mario Party 8 to those. Kill me if you must, I don't care. But it is proof that Nintendo isn't just catering to a big fat nobody, and the sales figures show this, and will continue to show this for as long as the next consoles come out.

notice how LAIR is suddenly gone from the listing war all of sudden these days :lol

i expect heavenly sword to quickly follow

jimbo

Banned
WildArms said:
And I assume these games are going to outsell GTA and Final Fantasy yes? Oh and also Nintendo are not creating any new games, because like Pikmin, Nintendogs, Brain Training are not new at all. They were out on the NES but were only played by people from Mars.

Oh and if you don't like Brain Training and Nintendogs, that is YOUR opinion. There are people out there who do like them, and people out there who LOVE the Nintendo sequals coming out 100 times mroe than anything the PlayStation has to offer. It's called different tastes.

There's that sales argument again. See I'm not hallucinating. Nintendo should start putting sales predictions on game covers: "Attention: this game will sell at least 500,000 copies." And It will:lol

Red Steel over 1 million? AAA game confirmed!

jimbo said:
There's that sales argument again. See I'm not hallucinating. Nintendo should start putting sales predictions on game covers: "Attention: this game will sell at least 500,000 copies." And It will:lol

it is no more or less stupid than the whole new IP = creativity mentality.

I wouldnt exactly call sony's me-too franchise like gataway/genji the height of creativity, but zomg first party sony software ftw!

Darji said:
sure it is a matter personel choices which lienup is the best. But that donesnt change the fact that the wii is getting less coregames than the other two systems.

but this is getting real tiresome lets just wait how it will develop in the near future but i have not much hope^^

But it's not a matter of the quantity that's being put out but rather the quantity that is going to be purchased. For me, Nintendo wins by a landslide. If it's just a personal issue, then we shouldn't arguing this point at all.

Now that's one thing I can agree on. Let's wait and see.

WildArms

jimbo said:

Okay so let's just ignore the sales figures then. We can do so, but I don't think the big companies will when deciding who to create their games for.

Elios83 said:
It's amazing how a few Nintendo fans feel insecure even when Nintendo is leading the market with sales :lol
PS3 had a really nice bump this week which proves that with a continous flow of good titles (not just one every three months) and a price cut sales can really get to an other level.
Oh and Xbox360 sales getting bumped up to 4k units thanks to OBLIVION!! Sakaguchi what? :D ;)

Aye. This isn't insecurity. Why do you have to insult us all when we're having a rational discussion filled with evidence? It's only insecurity when everyone is spewing nonsense exclusively but that isn't the case here.

jimbo said:
There's too much sales talk and not enough game talk out of Nintendo and the Nintendo camp in general.
Too much general conversations here degrades into lame system wars. Too many game-specific Wii threads here degrade into people trying to find a PS1 or DS shot they can compare it to. I like to get away from that and deal with some solid numbers. I like Wii, apparently my fellow gamers worldwide do too, deal with it.

Shiggy

sebthelobster said:
mina-no-golf is hardly a ****ing core game, at least not the type the others are trying so hard to defend anyway.

It's a minigame by Darji-standards, doesn't it have even less courses the Wii Sports: Golf?

I'd guess Darji dies of laughter right now, he might just be kidding, he really can't be serious, otherwise he needs commong sense training...

ziran

Elios83 said:
Interestingly, it was about the same as GC had with Mario Sunshine.

You know, just saying... :lol

Tf53

jimbo said:
Nintendo wanted the press to run with the new image of Nintendo and what the MASS MARKET side of Nintendo (as opposed to the CORE GAMER side) is all about: Wii Fit.
Fixed for truthiness.

ziran said:
Interestingly, it was about the same as GC had with Mario Sunshine.

You know, just sayin... :lol

come on... dont be cruel. going from sub-GC level of sales back to GC sales is quite a achievement.

dont scare the kids away now, otherwise there will be no one to fiddle around with when it comes laughter time

edit: that sounded so so ****ing wrong

WildArms

It's pointless discussing gaming with someone who clearly does not know the importance of sales figures.

Even if you are 12 years old you would be old enough to know about GameCube vs. PlayStation 2, and how that turned out thanks to sales.

I'm off to solve some Picross, then do my Daily Brain Training, and then play some Melee with my family. Anyone wanna join? :D

Wow at Oblivion having the 4th best 360 game at release numbers. Sleeper Hit just as I thought it would be. Lets see the legs. Golf bump is little, but maybe will have legs.

jimbo

Banned
WildArms said:
Okay so let's just ignore the sales figures then. We can do so, but I don't think the big companies will when deciding who to create their games for.

You know if I respond to this thread with the proper reply, I already know what the response to my response will be: "it's only because they got caught with their pants down, backing the wrong horse, a matter of time" or any variation of those 3.

And it goes round and round and round.

So it's just a waste of time. Might as well say it myself and save you the trouble:D

kisakiproject said:
Wow at Oblivion having the 4th best 360 launch numbers. Sleeper Hit just as I thought it would be. Lets see the legs. Golf bump is little, but maybe will have legs.

i think it will, gundam musou is still kicking all sorts of ass and achieving namco's sales expectation.

jimbo said:
You know if I respond to this thread with the proper reply, I already know what the response to my response will be: "it's only because they got caught with their pants down, backing the wrong horse, a matter of time" or any variation of those 3.

So it's just a waste of time. Might as well say it myself and save you the trouble:D

exactly, you are a broken record that wasnt even that good of a record to begin with.

jimbo said:

Can you disprove those statements? I mean when I ask for the answer to a simple math problem, I expect only one answer because it's, you know, the right answer.

Evlar

Banned
jimbo said:

So... you're done here, right?

Darji

Banned
Shiggy said:
It's a minigame by Darji-standards, doesn't it have even less courses the Wii Sports: Golf?

I'd guess Darji dies of laughter right now, he might just be kidding, he really can't be serious, otherwise he needs commong sense training...
Mina no golf is a sports game for casuals and anime lovers^^

jimbo

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
Can you disprove those statements? I mean when I ask for the answer to a simple math problem, I expect only one answer because it's, you know, the right answer.

So now I have to disprove that something that doesn't exist isn't going to exist?

Edit: Wait you said math. Like 2 + 2 = 4? Ok so then it's kind of like RE + sequel = PS3/360?

I really want to be a fly on the wall in the Konami offices when the executives try to make sense of the absymal sales of Dewy's Adventure. Who will get the blame?

jimbo said:
So now I have to disprove that something that doesn't exist isn't going to exist?

Those are predictions based on sales trends which do exist. The IGDA announced openly that Japan will begin to shift resources from HD consoles to the Wii. Several publishers have said they backed the "wrong horse" and that they made mistakes in ignoring the Wii. It's common knowledge that Nintendo never had the best relations with third parties and that no one expected the Wii to become such a runaway global success. Those things all exist and it's easy and obvious to draw the conclusions that you profess to be tired of.

Edit: Wait you said math. Like 2 + 2 = 4? Ok so then it's kind of like RE + sequel = PS3/360?

Yep. Like DQ+sequel = Sony home console.

Bo130

Does MC usually track Wii Sports higher than Famitsu? I would actually be sad to see Wii Sports get off the charts for the first time since release, even though I know it'll be back again next week. It seems to be #11, could still make it.

PS3 38,000

Amazing

1. [Wii] Mario Party 8 - 280,000
2. [PS3] Minna no Golf 5 - 176,000

Higher leap than expected.

3. [NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS - 90,000
4. [NDS] Its a Wonderful World - 81,000

VERY good news ^_^ Thought they had bombed harder :D

6. [360] Oblivion - 45,000

Nice.

7. [Wii] Gundam MS 0079 - 44,000
8. [PSP] GTA LCS - 39,000

I'd expected more :(

9. [Wii] Dragon Quest Swords - 32,000(~400,000)
10. [NDS] Zelda Phantom Hourglass - 32,000 (~680,000)

Oh, that's not good. Is DQS still supply restrained? Phantom Hourglass should really pass a million, I hope it does, but if MC has around 32k as well I could see it not happening.

... Wii Dewy's Adventure - 1,200
... Wii Guilty Gear - 900

:'( I think I'm going to cry...

Darji

Banned
sebthelobster said:
and wii sports isnt a sports game for casuals?:lol

oh lair got a 9 from edge darji, right, right?
Wii sports is more like a demo to show what the wiimote is capable of then a real game. Mina no golf is like Tiger woods only in anime style.

Oh and again i never said lair got a 9 I only posted this rumor.

donny2112

Darji said:
i played it a bit at a friends house but wasnt much impressed. Its ok and a great partygame but nothing more.

Like I said.

donny2112 said:
Ah, so you haven't spent much time with Wii Sports. That explains that.

Elios83 said:

The heck!? Were you even reading this thread? :lol

Zerodoppler said:
I really want to be a fly on the wall in the Konami offices when the executives try to make sense of the absymal sales of Dewy's Adventure. Who will get the blame?

The same people who got the blame when Elebits flopped in Japan before having pretty good sales in the U.S.?

Edit:
Darji said:
Wii sports is more like a demo to show what the wiimote is capable of then a real game.

donny2112 said:
Ah, so you haven't spent much time with Wii Sports. That explains that.

You should really stop trying to talk intelligently about Wii Sports until you've played it in single player a lot more.

jimbo

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
Those are predictions based on sales trends which do exist. The IGDA announced openly that Japan will begin to shift resources from HD consoles to the Wii. Several publishers have said they backed the "wrong horse" and that they made mistakes in ignoring the Wii. It's common knowledge that Nintendo never had the best relations with third parties and that no one expected the Wii to become such a runaway global success. Those things all exist and it's easy obvious to draw the conclusions that you profess to be tired of.

Yes, yes I know.....RE6, GTA5, FFXIV, VF6....all on the Wii. I believe you. I swear.

jimbo said:
Yes, yes I know.....RE6, GTA5, FFXIV, VF6....all on the Wii. I believe you. I swear.

I haven't once said that ever since I began posting here. Why are you being facetious? I think DQX stands a good chance at going Wii-side though.

Darji said:
Wii sports is more like a demo to show what the wiimote is capable of then a real game. Mina no golf is like Tiger woods only in anime style.

Oh and again i never said lair got a 9 I only posted this rumor.

how is wii sports a tech demo? it has courses, scores, 3 different modes and multiplayer, the only feature it is missing from the rest of modern day sports game is online multiplayer, then again not every game has it.

wii play is a demo to show what the wiimote is capable of, it is even called "your introduction to wii" in Japan( and against logic, it is even packed with a remote! gasp) , wii sport is however a fully fledged, fun, albeit rather barebone, sports game.

I've got a suggestion for Darji: don't talk shit when it comes to sales. Mainly because he can't spin numbers all that well.

PS: DQS sold better in one week than DQYangus LTD.

Evlar

Banned
jimbo said:
If you have no intention of discussing anything related to this thread, or even replying to anything addressed to you (without substituting their words with strawman arguments), then you're just wasting everyone's valuable screen space.

Top Bottom