• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

milanbaros

Member?
How does my spelling a word wrong having anything to do with whether your attack was valid or not? Just because his second language isn't 100% perfect doesn't in any way imply he is stupid. Personal attacks like that will get you banned.

Shiggy

Darji said:
sure the sales are very weak no objection to that but it will change when the Ps3 is more affordable. And i dont know the exactly fire emblem salesfigures but i am pretty sure it did not do very well.

It's obvious, FE performed badly, right.

Why do you think that PS3 sales will rise as soon as the console is cheaper? It was neither the case when the GCN price was reduced nor when the Xbox saw a price cut.

Why do you people not realize that this is absolutly not good for coregamers?
No, it isn't, at least I don't see what 'is not good for coregames'.

Darji said:
easy: Its easier to get in to the game and this will also take the time for exploring and other things. I know it was a bad example but its dragon quest and its hurts me because i love the series.

...Length if the game has nothing to do with how easy it is to get into the game.

'This will also take the time for exploring'? What on earth does this have to do with the sales?

If you love the series, I see no reason complain about DQ:Swords either way. At best, it's DQ game that Yuji Horii worked on, at worst, it's a spinoff in a franchise known to have plenty of spinoffs, and one that sold better than any other spinoff in an equitable time frame.

Weisheit

milanbaros said:
How does my spelling a word wrong having anything to do with whether your attack was valid or not? Just because his second language isn't 100% perfect doesn't in any way imply he is stupid. Personal attacks like that will get you banned.
What?

Darji said:
no its not about one or two games.

Darji said:
Dewy a game bombed total and some minigamecrap like Mario Party 8 sells a shitload worldwide. You can now easily forcast the future lineup from Nintendo and otter developers.

Really...

So it's not about 1 or 2 games...unless they paint the picture you'd like to paint?

Are there any PS3 games on the horizon that could potentially sell well, but can't be easily written off for the same reasons that you wrote off the Wii's traditional games that have sold well? Or can we expect publishers to plunge ahead with golf games?

Darji said:
Anyway: I dont want to bash. And i loved the Nintendo days with the NES and SNES. And i would be happy if these timmes would come back but please not like this. Even Nintendo said at 3e that they will concentrate more on the casual gamer or people who never played games before. Why do you people not realize that this is absolutly not good for coregamers?

Nintendo never said they'd focus on the casual gamer more than the core gamer. Show me where they said that. Go make a list of all the core Wii games published by Nintendo and compare them to these so called casual games. It becomes immediately clear that you're paranoid.

Besides, as a core gamer myself, I am very satisfied with what Nintendo is bringing to the table. I'll be spending more money on Wii games this fall/winter than both the 360 and PS3 combined. When you factor the DS into that, you'll see that there is an abundance of core games from Nintendo and fellow third parties. If I could only own Nintendo systems, even only the Wii this coming winter, I'd be playing games well into next year.

Darji

Banned
Pureauthor said:
...Length if the game has nothing to do with how easy it is to get into the game.

'This will also take the time for exploring'? What on earth does this have to do with the sales?

If you love the series, I see no reason complain about DQ:Swords either way. At best, it's DQ game that Yuji Horii worked on, at worst, it's a spinoff in a franchise known to have plenty of spinoffs, and one that sold better than any other spinoff in an equitable time frame.

its not a matter about sales. The Wii will sell like hotecakes for atleast two more years but i am speaking as a gamer who loves coregames and especialy japanese coregames and who is worried about the future. I cant really play with sales figures.
Why do you think that PS3 sales will rise as soon as the console is cheaper? It was neither the case when the GCN price was reduced nor when the Xbox saw a price cut.
MGs4? FF? WKS

But i still think it will ever beat the Wii but it will beat the Wii related to coregames salesfigures. Not now but definitly by summer or end of next year.

Darji

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
Nintendo never said they'd focus on the casual gamer more than the core gamer. Show me where they said that. Go make a list of all the core Wii games published by Nintendo and compare them to these so called casual games. It becomes immediately clear that you're paranoid.

Besides, as a core gamer myself, I am very satisfied with what Nintendo is bringing to the table. I'll be spending more money on Wii games this fall/winter than both the 360 and PS3 combined. When you factor the DS into that, you'll see that there is an abundance of core games from Nintendo and fellow third parties. If I could only own Nintendo systems, even only the Wii this coming winter, I'd be playing games well into next year.
Watch the E3 PK

Oh and its not about the handheldmarket but about the home consolemarket^^

and for the list. mark out ports, non- and casual games and you will have not much left.

Darji said:
its not a matter about sales. The Wii will sell like hotecakes for atleast two more years but i am speaking as a gamer who loves coregames and especialy japanese coregames and who is worried about the future. I cant really play with sales figures.

...The entire discussion starting with people proving that the Wii is a good venue for 'coregamers' because 'coregames' like DQ:Swords are selling. It has never been about anything but sales.

Not to mention, if you're not interested in sales figures, why are you in a Sales-Age thread?

Darji said:

MGs4? FF? WKS

But i still think it will ever beat the Wii but it will beat the Wii related to coregames salesfigures. Not now but definitly by summer or end of next year.

That's what I don't get though. You expect PS3 sales to rise when games like FF hit, but you completely discount sales on the Wii of traditional games that belong to big franchises. I mean why doesnt Final Fantasy get the same sort of "FF game no need to say anything more"?

tanod

when is my burrito
test_account said:
MnG5 was released 26th July, tommorow its been out for 1 week. So these numbers shows sales for 5-6 days.

I know. It was sarcasm. You know how we have 5 week months in NPD, except there are no 8-day weeks. :p That's what I was doing. Just trying to fit in with the doom and gloom crowd.

Shiggy

Darji said:

Well you can, just look at the DS. Since the DS sells large numbers more and more core games like DQ9 are announced, this will also be the case for Wii. The current problem was that publishers weren't to content on the success of the Wii until March/April, as the GCN had a great start in the US too. You can expect more core games to be announced from now on.

MGs4? FF? WKS
MGS4, I don't think that will be a big seller, especially not in Japan, where none of the games hit the one million mark despite the PS2 sales.
FF, that might be compared with Super Mario 64 or other N64 hits, which gave a small bump.
WKS...just look at the sales of the other Sony-published Level5 games...

What?

test_account

XP-39C²
tanod said:
I know. It was sarcasm. You know how we have 5 week months in NPD. That's what I was doing. Just trying to fit in with the doom and gloom crowd.

Ok hehe :) Not always easy to pick up sarcasm when its written.

jimbo

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:

You don't have to look at what Nintendo says to come out with that conclusion. Exit this thread and take a look at the topics on this forum, and then read some of them. The majority of next-gen console gamers are discussing GAMES, and not just how they sell, but the idea of playing them. Nearly every hot game topic is either a PC, PS3 or 360 game.

While nearly every Wii-related thread is about sales. Not even games like Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime are being discussed. It's Halo 3 and Killzone vs Wii June NPD or the latest MC sales thread. I mean seriously. Exit this thread. And count the topics. See how many are games topics and on which platforms. It's actually pretty funny.

It's like with Wii Fit. Not a damn person in this forum is actually talking about really wanting to play this thing, or how much fun it will be, but rather.....it will sell gazillions.

Avrum

Um, Jimbo, just because some GAFers are discussing game sales doesn't justify your point about Nintendo focusing on casual gamers more than the core.

Dig deeper, it can't be that dry down there can it?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jimbo said:
You don't have to look at what Nintendo says to come out with that conclusion. Exit this thread and take a look at the topics on this forum, and then read some of them. The majority of next-gen console gamers are discussing GAMES, and not just how they sell, but the idea of playing them. Nearly every hot game topic is either a PC, PS3 or 360 game.

While nearly every Wii-related thread is about sales. Not even games like Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime are being discussed. It's Halo 3 and Killzone vs Wii June NPD or the latest MC sales thread. I mean seriously. Exit this thread. And count the topics. See how many are games topics and on which platforms. It's actually pretty funny.

It's like with Wii Fit. Not a damn person in this forum is actually talking about really wanting to play this thing, or how much fun it will be, but rather.....it will sell gazillions.

I think you're off base there. One, Nintendo just doesn't release a ton of info on their games like Bungie does with Halo.

Two, have you SEEN the Smash Brothers thread? Over 10,000 posts already with 150-200 posts added each day? How did that slip through your discerning eye?

Three- there was actually a whole topic and a website proposed to track weight loss while playing Wii Fit when it is released.

Darji said:
Watch the E3 PK

Oh and its not about the handheldmarket but about the home consolemarket^^

and for the list. mark out ports, non- and casual games and you will have not much left.

I saw it live and I'm sure no one said that casuals will get a heavier focus than core gamers.

Why isn't it about the handheld market as well? Your statement is a blanket one that judges Nintendo's entire market philosophy. I'm challenging the notion that Nintendo is no longer a company that can be relied on for a core experience which is what you are saying. Besides, even if I was a Wii only owner, I'd be spending more money on the system than the 360/PS3 combined and I'd be able to play the Wii well into 2008 just on the holiday line up alone.

Really? From Nintendo (which is what we're discussing), I can pin WiiFit, BBA, and MP8 as Nintendo non-games. Maybe some have escaped me but I don't think I missed more than one. On the core side, we have Super Paper Mario, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Smash Brothers Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem, and Battalion Wars 2 all out by Christmas in America. This isn't counting third party partners which augment the list noticeably.

jimbo said:

There's a Mario Galaxy impressions topic. There is a MP3 review thread. The Smash Brawl topic is superbly huge. Besides, unfortunately Nintendo doesn't have a demo download system which is a horrible shame.

And like the previous poster said, this has nothing to do with whether or not Nintendo is focusing more on the core than the casual.

jimbo

Banned
Avrum said:
Um, Jimbo, just because some GAFers are discussing game sales doesn't justify your point about Nintendo focusing on casual gamers more than the core.

Dig deeper, it can't be that dry down there can it?

Some GAFers? Dude what about all the media that we just had coming out of E3. ALL media, gaming or mass, pretty much picked Wii Fit as THE E3 Wii game of the show. That was because of what Nintendo chose to focus on.

Jokeropia

Darji said:
Which PS3 game will beat Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros Brawl in sales?
jimbo said:

I'm guessing you missed the 10,000 post Smash Bros thread on the first page...?

And what the hell are you insinuating btw? That Mario Galaxy & Metroid will bomb because Wii owners aren't interested in core games?

Jammy

Banned
Mario Party 8's sales are HUGE. This game has already passed a million worldwide easily and is now heading towards two in just a couple more months!

Minno no Golf 5's sales aren't that great, but they did push some PS3s. I'm really surprised Nintendo didn't get another >100,000 week out for Wii with all of the game shipments.

Darji

Banned
FitzOfRage said:
That's what I don't get though. You expect PS3 sales to rise when games like FF hit, but you completely discount sales on the Wii of traditional games that belong to big franchises. I mean why doesnt Final Fantasy get the same sort of "FF game no need to say anything more"?
i never discount wii sales of tradtional games. Oh and finaly fantasy gets spin offs too. And some of them are minigames and crap too. like chocobo racing. But they doesnt sell very well. Except for the mario party clone (forgot his name^^)

It just feels like new "real" game IPs doesnt stand a chance on the wii.

Darji

Banned
Jokeropia said:

And what the hell are you insinuating btw? That Mario Galaxy & Metroid will bomb because Wii owners aren't interested in core games?
Which PS3 game will beat Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros Brawl in sales?hmm hard to say but i would say GT5 definetly. other than that. Dont know but not much in the next 2 years^^

jimbo said:
Some GAFers? Dude what about all the media that we just had coming out of E3. ALL media, gaming or mass, pretty much picked Wii Fit as THE E3 Wii game of the show. That was because of what Nintendo chose to focus on.

I'm not sure what their focus on at a PR EVENT has to do with their focus on internal development.

They focused on Wii Fit because it's going to sell bucketloads. Big surprise.

They could have put up a single slide that goes 'Mario Kart January 2008', and they'd get approximately the same amount of sales had they made it the focus of the event. In fact, that's largely what they did.

It just feels like new "real" game IPs doesnt stand a chance on the wii.

Much as I am loathe to say positive things about this game:

Red Steel has apparently sold almost a million copies since launch.

jimbo

Banned
Jokeropia said:

No, not at all. What I am insinuating is what you just said.
:lol

There's too much sales talk and not enough game talk out of Nintendo and the Nintendo camp in general.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
jimbo said:
Well I'm sure you'd have preferred the limelight to be another iteration of Pacman Vs.?

donny2112

test_account said:
Ah ok, so the MnG5 numbers are only for 4 days?

Correct.

jimbo said:
Not even games like Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime are being discussed.

I'm trying to do a partial blackout for those two games, so I can experience most of it fresh. I know about the
Bee and Boo suits
in Galaxy, for example, but I've tried to avoid learning every little detail before its release. I also see that you left out the ginormous Brawl thread. :p

jimbo said:

You missed the Wii Prove Wii Fit thread, then. Wii Fit's problem is that this board is full of gamers, so a perceived non-game doesn't get as much attention. I'd love to have another thread on that game, though. :)
It's sales will also be quite good. ;)

Edit:
JoshuaJSlone said:
They were available?

I think it's just normal fluctuations that occur throughout the year. The DS sales shouldn't be totally dependent on shipments until DQIX hits.

I took your advice jimbo. As of right now, there is one sales thread in the front page (this thread) and it doesn't even concern Nintendo specifically.

Avrum

jimbo said:

Yes, Nintendo is ignoring the core gamer because the likes of the mainstream press gave the nod to WiiFit.

All despite the fact there was plenty of hands on time with the likes of Metroid and much going around regarding Super Mario Galaxy. External sources having their piece on the event compared to what Nintendo had there overall let alone what they have lined up for Wii now and into the future to begin with doesn't exactly measure up to your point.

Darji

Banned
Pureauthor said:
I'm not sure what their focus on at a PR EVENT has to do with their focus on internal development.

They focused on Wii Fit because it's going to sell bucketloads. Big surprise.

They could have put up a single slide that goes 'Mario Kart January 2008', and they'd get approximately the same amount of sales had they made it the focus of the event. In fact, that's largely what they did.

Much as I am loathe to say positive things about this game:

Red Steel has apparently sold almost a million copies since launch.
because it was a launchgame? But i am waiting for the next real game thats a great seller and not called something with MArio, Zelda or Metroid^^

sphinx

the piano man
Hcoregamer00 said:
They will likely see it as a sign not to develop for the Wii anymore.

I am not sure how would it affect me. If all they can offer is the extremely cutesy kiddie stuff, then they can GTFO, as far as I am concerned.

if they don't sell on wii, it is their fault and ONLY theirs. The excuses they've being throwing for the last 10 years about why not develop on nintendo consoles have been all proven to be bullshit by the wii.

.- 1st place, market leader, WORLDWIDE.
.- Ever expanding userbase with new or lapsed gamers buying the console.
.- Load and loads of documented data that the Wii is being bought by people of all ages, not just 6 years old.
.- Dragon Quest Swords PROVING that a 3rd party game can sell above 400k (japan only, for that matter).

Konami is stuck in the N64 era with their way of thinking and they shall pay for misreading the market.

jimbo

Banned
Avrum said:
Yes, Nintendo is ignoring the core gamer because the likes of the mainstream press gave the nod to WiiFit.

All despite the fact there was plenty of hands on time with the likes of Metroid and much going around regarding Super Mario Galaxy. External sources having their piece on the event compared to what Nintendo had there overall let alone what they have lined up for Wii now and into the future to begin with doesn't exactly measure up to your point.

Ahem....look back at the conference. Time spent on Wii Fit vs time spent on any other core game.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
jimbo said:
No, not at all. What I am insinuating is what you just said.
:lol

There's too much sales talk and not enough game talk out of Nintendo and the Nintendo camp in general.

You kind of have to expect that a group of fans supporting a company that's been doing the best sales it's done in a decade to have some gloating over that matter, but you suggested that that's ALL they were talking about which simply isn't true.

The Smash Bros. Brawl topic has broken 10,000 posts today, and there must be about 5 of those posts that actually discuss the sales of the game.

Darji said:
because it was a launchgame? But i am waiting for the next real game thats a great seller and not called something with MArio, Zelda or Metroid^^

Super Smash Bros. Brawl :p

Ahem....look back at the conference. Time spent on Wii Fit vs time spent on any other core game.

Again: Focus on a press event =/= the focus of internal development

donny2112

Darji said:
But i am waiting for the next real game thats a great seller and not called something with MArio, Zelda or Metroid^^

Resident Evil 4? Dragon Quest Swords? Wii Sports
(if you think it qualifies as a mini-game fest, you haven't played it)
?

It might help to be consistent between your posts. ;)

Avrum

jimbo said:

The rest of E3 says "hi" where, you know, WiiFit wasn't the only game getting some attention.

jimbo said:

Does that matter? Nintendo has far more core games lined up than non-games. It's the product that matters, not the time spent emphasizing a product at PR event. I'm still confused how a brilliant sales maneuver = Nintendo's abandonment of the core.

ethelred

jimbo said:

Wii Fit didn't get much more demo/discussion time than Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, actually. Metroid got a bit less than either of those two. And then there were the trailer clips of Ninja Gaiden and Mario Kart.

It wasn't Wii Fit that made the conference suck, it was the barrage of news montages and Youtube clips.

Shiggy

jimbo said:

Do you know why? It was to be presented in mass market magazines. So what would've been better to present it there in order to achieve a media buzz for it?

And it's not as if it wasn't for the core gamer, Brain Training is great for everyone, you should try it. ;)

Darji

Banned
ethelred said:
Wii Fit didn't get much more demo/discussion time than Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, actually. Metroid got a bit less than either of those two. And then there were the trailer clips of Ninja Gaiden and Mario Kart.

It wasn't Wii Fit that made the conference suck, it was the barrage of news montages and Youtube clips.
Huh Wii fit got almost 20 minutes^^

Resident Evil 4? Dragon Quest Swords? Wii Sports (if you think it qualifies as a mini-game fest, you haven't played it)?

It might help to be consistent between your posts. ;)
Huh i thought we were talking about new Ips and not about ports or a minigame.

Top Bottom