• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/30 - 8/5

rakka

SovanJedi said:
That really shocks me. Out of all the people who I'd imagine being banned Cheesemeister seemed one of the least likely, even for a temporary amount of time.

saito and tnw also :p

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
AniHawk said:
Well there are actually goals and interesting characters, so yes.

Somebody should do a spoof RPG featuring the cast of Wii Sports, with endearing characters as the Hitler-Mii-everybody-has-at-least-tried-making-once, taking on the forces of evil as the Pro players, including that absolute bastard boxer.

If I had 3D Studio MAX again I'd do it myself, but I smell a Youtube in the making here...

apujanata

Stapler Gonzales said:
I have 2200 in Tennis, the line goes above the graph. 1500 in Bowling, 1000 in Golf, 1000 in Boxing, and 700 in Baseball.

Any evidence of your claim, or should I just believe you ?
I have both FFXII and Wii Sports, and I believe FFXII is good (only I haven't finished it yet, since I am still at Level 56).
I only play Tennis, Golf and Baseball in Wii Sports, but I don't think of Wii Sports as tech demo. It might NOT have as much development effort as FFXII, but I still enjoy it more than FFXII. I am only 1500 in Tennis and 1500 in Bowling.

So I earlier asked about the sales of Torneko games. While I don't know about all of them, I see the PS2 one is on Japan-GameCharts.

Dragon Quest Characters: Toruneko no Daibouken 3 - Fushigi no Dungeon
First week: 303,058
Lifetime: 513,796

Seems pretty close to what Dragon Quest Swords is doing.

apujanata said:
Any evidence of your claim, or should I just believe you ?
I have both FFXII and Wii Sports, and I believe FFXII is good (only I haven't finished it yet, since I am still at Level 56).
I only play Tennis, Golf and Baseball in Wii Sports, but I don't think of Wii Sports as tech demo. It might have as much development effort as FFXII, but I still enjoy it more than FFXII. I am only 1500 in Tennis and 1500 in Bowling.
I guess I can take a picture tomorrow if I find my camera. It's not as if Wii Sports has leaderboards.

Stapler Gonzales said:
On the contrary, without being too much of a troll, I can hardly stand a tech demo outselling a complete and superbly crafted game.
I finally broke down and tried this thing they call a Final Fantasy and tried my very first with XII. I had more fun playing a 20 second spurt with one of the training minigames on Wii Sports than than the 6 hours I spent with FFXII. What a chore.

If I wanted a b-movie fantasy film, I'd tune in to the Scifi Channel.

Bo130

AniHawk said:
Newest update from The Store, since Madden comes out tomorrow night, and it's been a month since SMG and SSBB were added. I grabbed the ones I thought most people would be interested in.

Guitar Hero III: 166 (47 Wii, 20 PS3, 50 PS2, 49 360)

A mistake? Last time PS3 was on 31, IIRC. What happened?

Fredescu

davepoobond said:
i like this better

because its true
ethelred said:
Very true.
Wii Sports was disappointing? What an odd choice of words. It really didn't deliver what you were expecting? Don't get me wrong, 95% of the Wii library to date is "disappointing", but with Wii Sports I got exactly what I thought I'd get.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
I think I need a list of games davepoobond and ethelred find disappointing, to find gems I might have otherwise overlooked.

I have high expectations for Yasumi Matsuno games, and Final Fantasy XII simply didn't live up to that. It had a lot more flaws than it should have and slipped up a few too many times. I still love the game, but I felt it could have been better and feel that, overall, it's one of his weaker games in the greater scheme of things.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I felt that way about Twilight Princess. I didn't expect anything from Wii sports, so wasn't disappointed. FFXII wasn't disappointing, but it wasn't the brilliant reimagining of the series that some made it out to be. B+/B- grades for all three.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
JoshuaJSlone said:
I think I need a list of games davepoobond and ethelred find disappointing, to find gems I might have otherwise overlooked.

disappointing and abhorringly distate hold very vast differences in my dictionary.

Unlimited Saga is my most disappointing game purchase of all time.

and i expected way more from FFXII than what i got. other than FF5, its the worst FF imo. And this is coming from someone who'll bend over for any mainline FF game.

AniHawk

Bo130 said:
A mistake? Last time PS3 was on 31, IIRC. What happened?

I fucked up. I read the PS2 Game Only SKU as the PS3 bundle SKU. They're close to each other. It's correct now though.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Fredescu said:
Wii Sports was disappointing? What an odd choice of words. It really didn't deliver what you were expecting? Don't get me wrong, 95% of the Wii library to date is "disappointing", but with Wii Sports I got exactly what I thought I'd get.

I wanted Baseball to have the full amount of innings. I don't know how many innings are in Baseball but a full amount would have been good. Also, the ability to play a full season. Don't know how many games that is but a full one would have been suburb. Also in Boxing if they had it so you could get ranked and win championships and belts and such. Also to go for the full amount of rounds there are in boxing. 12? Is that it? Maybe 15? I remember watching a Butterbean fight and it was only 4. Also in Bowling if they had Bowling teams. That would have been sweet. I am not sure how Bowling teams work but I would like to learn sometime. Golf has a full 18 holes, doesn't it and it uses the same NES courses too right? Well, I guess thats ok but I wish they had some Putt Putt stuff in there with Nintendo themed obstacles. I think that might be done for the 2nd WiiSports.

davepoobond

AlternativeUlster said:
I wanted Baseball to have the full amount of innings. I don't know how many innings are in Baseball but a full amount would have been good. Also, the ability to play a full season. Don't know how many games that is but a full one would have been suburb. Also in Boxing if they had it so you could get ranked and win championships and belts and such. Also to go for the full amount of rounds there are in boxing. 12? Is that it? Maybe 15? I remember watching a Butterbean fight and it was only 4. Also in Bowling if they had Bowling teams. That would have been sweet. I am not sure how Bowling teams work but I would like to learn sometime. Golf has a full 18 holes, doesn't it and it uses the same NES courses too right? Well, I guess thats ok but I wish they had some Putt Putt stuff in there with Nintendo themed obstacles. I think that might be done for the 2nd WiiSports.

any self-respecting sports game should have those features.

PhoenixDark said:
Cheese is banned wtf?

Seems like a dozen people got b& in the FF8 hate train thread. Maybe they'll learn.

Maybe....

Maybe one day FF8 we'll get a forum-wide love-in thread like WW where everyone finally appreciates the game. ^_^

Triple Triad > *

Mar

Cheesemeister said:
pricecollapse.jpg

That is the best thing I have ever seen in my life. My hat and or cheese is off to you sir.

Tristam

davepoobond said:
disappointing and abhorringly distate hold very vast differences in my dictionary.

Unlimited Saga is my most disappointing game purchase of all time.

and i expected way more from FFXII than what i got. other than FF5, its the worst FF imo. And this is coming from someone who'll bend over for any mainline FF game.

In terms of awfulness, Final Fantasy II is the grand champion. It's still the only Final Fantasy game (I've played all save XI) where I've actually thought "now this is a bad game" -- not even relative to its brethren, just bad on an absolute scale. I wouldn't blame it on system limitations either, because I like Final Fantasy and adore Final Fantasy III. But I agree that both Final Fantasy V and XII were disappointing.

EDIT: And cheese got banned for hating on Final Fantasy VIII? A lot of games get a lot of (unreasonable) hate from the mods themselves. That said, I don't hate VIII. I actually really liked the junction system, Squall didn't bother me as much as he did other people, and the plot holes didn't particularly offend me.

davepoobond

Tristam said:
In terms of awfulness, Final Fantasy II is the grand champion. It's still the only Final Fantasy game (I've played all save XI) where I've actually thought "now this is a bad game" -- not even relative to its brethren, just bad on an absolute scale. I wouldn't blame it on system limitations either, because I like Final Fantasy and adore Final Fantasy III. But I agree that both Final Fantasy V and XII were disappointing.

EDIT: And cheese got banned for hating on Final Fantasy VIII? A lot of games get a lot of (unreasonable) hate from the mods themselves. That said, I don't hate VIII. I actually really liked the junction system, Squall didn't bother me as much as he did other people, and the plot holes didn't particularly offend me.

honestly, i dont take FF1 and FF2 (and 3, not the DS version) as games that you can really rank up against the others since they're just so basic and archaic it'd just be unfair to do so.

IV-XII is what i really favor when talking about FF games. I never played XI since it is/was an MMO, and i dont do MMOs.

Fredescu

AlternativeUlster said:
The lack of golf holes I agree with, and that the swing controls power but slice and hook are random (or draw and <something> according to my golfer friends). The rest I don't care so much about since the controls are just so well done, plus the cool training bits like lining up 400+ pins in bowling. For me there is longevity in the game even without career modes and whatnot. Just about every other Wii game is disappointing compared to Wii sports.
davepoobond said:
any self-respecting sports game should have those features.
That's just silly. Not every sports game needs to be a sim. Every racing game should allow you to tune the suspension?

Deku

Banned
Granted views about games can be subjective, and people can differ on their views about the installments, XII is just so poorly written and paced the part I liked about it the most was the CG intro. It plays like a cross between FF XI offline and a bad caricature of the Sony era 'cinematic' Final Fantasy titles.

And the FFXII v Wii Sports aside is rather ridiculous.

apujanata

AlternativeUlster said:

Well, since I am not really in sports games (I only played Winning Eleven, and only sporadically), those limitation does not really bother me. It is better for me to have one Disc with all 5 games, compared to 5 disc, for each separate game.

If Wii Sports 2 can have a more fleshed (complete) sports component, it will be wonderfull. I would rather have tennis, baseball and bowling in Disc 1, and boxing & golf as Disc 2 (since I don't play boxing & golf much, but played a lot of tennis & bowling, and some baseball).

legend166

AlternativeUlster said:

So basically you wanted 5 full featured sports games packed in with your Wii for free?

AlternativeUlster said:

These requests miss the point of Wii sports entirely.

BishopLamont said:
I saw something about FF8 hate but no link :/
You can usually click on a banned user's name and read their recent post history. The most inflammatory/controversial post in the last 10 is usually the reason why they got struck by the hammer.

apujanata said:
Well, since I am not really in sports games (I only played Winning Eleven, and only sporadically), those limitation does not really bother me. It is better for me to have one Disc with all 5 games, compared to 5 disc, for each separate game.

If Wii Sports 2 can have a more fleshed (complete) sports component, it will be wonderfull. I would rather have tennis, baseball and bowling in Disc 1, and boxing & golf as Disc 2 (since I don't play boxing & golf much, but played a lot of tennis & bowling, and some baseball).
Ha. I doubt a more fully featured set of Wii Sports games would make a CD break a sweat, let alone a GOD or DVD.

davepoobond

Fredescu said:
That's just silly. Not every sports game needs to be a sim. Every racing game should allow you to tune the suspension?

you're right.

but they should at least have some sort of semblance of representation of the game they're trying to recreate in terms of game modes, don't you think?

I can't think of an arcade game that doesn't have some sort of a season mode. NFL Blitz was an arcade game and it even had a playmaker.

kizmah

Is there a nice person here who could give me the latest worldwide numbers for 360, Wii, PS3, DS ans PSP? It would be much appreciated.

davepoobond said:
you're right.

but they should at least have some sort of semblance of representation of the game they're trying to recreate in terms of game modes, don't you think?

I can't think of an arcade game that doesn't have some sort of a season mode. NFL Blitz was an arcade game and it even had a playmaker.
That's the point. Wii Sports isn't just any other sports(arcade or otherwise) game and it doesn't even try.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
davepoobond said:
you're right.

I thought the whole thing about Wii Sports, alongside the control scheme and universal appeal of sports yadda yadda yadda, is that players didn't have to wade through screen upon screen of setup match statistic layout screens and play modes - it was just a couple of clicks and you're already playing a tennis game. You don't even have to press the D-Pad, you just point at what you want and away you go.

Wii Sports was never ever meant to be Nintendo's answer to Madden, or whatever. Hell it's not even supposed to be on the same level of longevity as Mario Kart. It's pretty much a functional, playable and score-based tech demo showcasing what the Wii itself is all about, and that was making games so easily and compulsively accessible to people who would normally turn their nose up at regular console gaming that they forget that normally this is the kind of thing that isn't really supposed to be "for them". Yet. And if it spurs the imagination of other devs (or somebody just flat out steals the control methods for a more fleshed out sports game) then all for it.

Oldschool

PSP Slim shortages in Japan? :lol

2007-08-12-507.jpg

Hardware launches mean one thing: Hardware shortages. This September's PSP Slim launch looks to be no different. Amazon Japan pre-orders for the PSP Slim (PSP-2000CW) have already closed, and the Sofmap in Akihabara is posting signs mentioning that because of shortages, customers can reserve only one PSP Slim. It also seems like they're not letting customers pick which color they want. Also! Sofmap is allowing one 1seg PSP tuner per person. Whenever new hardware launches, I can't help but thinking some of the demand is created through forced shortages. Call me jaded.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/one-per-person/upcoming-psp-slim-shortages-in-japan-288635.php

WOW if true.

bmf said:
You're posts after you got banned were just creepy. No banned tag. Just an almost blank avatar and an unclickable name. I get the feeling that your account got nuked from the database and therefore the database didn't have your email address listed in it as banned anymore. That's probably why you were able to re-register under it.

Nah, don't scare the poor guy. It's legit.

Thunder Monkey said:
Hmmm, so is that because of asking for a name change?

If so... I'll keep the name Thunder Monkey.

Uhhh, so was I banned banned? Or just name change banned?

I'm... scared. :(

You are a strange strange man...

Cuddle?

You're fine, don't worry. :p

Top Bottom