• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/30 - 8/5

Whenever new hardware launches, I can't help but thinking some of the demand is created through forced shortages.
Ha. Early PSP and PS3 shortages were pretty big blows to those systems while the new Nintendo competitors were much more plentiful and able to build a lead.

Haunted

Threi said:
wait so i can PM for a name change?

Because i really really REALLY want to change my name.
You better keep that avatar for a couple years so I can memorise your new name.

Oldschool said:
PSP Slim shortages in Japan? :lol

2007-08-12-507.jpg

Hardware launches mean one thing: Hardware shortages. This September's PSP Slim launch looks to be no different. Amazon Japan pre-orders for the PSP Slim (PSP-2000CW) have already closed, and the Sofmap in Akihabara is posting signs mentioning that because of shortages, customers can reserve only one PSP Slim. It also seems like they're not letting customers pick which color they want. Also! Sofmap is allowing one 1seg PSP tuner per person. Whenever new hardware launches, I can't help but thinking some of the demand is created through forced shortages. Call me jaded.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/one-per-person/upcoming-psp-slim-shortages-in-japan-288635.php

WOW if true.
hmm. wasn't there a 1seg device for the DS shown at some point? I wonder if it will ever come out. they could have the TV on the top screen and the TVguide on the bottom so you could browse what's on/what's coming up and not have to change channels.

KINGMOKU

Threi said:
Damn it. I remember alot of people by thier name, and how to respond to them.

Well, at least I caught it here.

Can you imagine of Amirox changed names on the stealth? I would be banned within a half hour.

Dragona Akehi said:
Nah, don't scare the poor guy. It's legit.

You're fine, don't worry. :p
Yay!

Ok, things not to do on GAF again. Don't ask for a name change, and don't insult FFVIII.

Someone also told me to stop sending lewd and lascivious photo's to the mods and admins. Should I follow through with that?

Anyway. I'm glad to be back.:D

Segata Sanshiro said:
Durr, it's Quackerjack.
Why does no one use Megavolt? Or Bushroot?

QuackerJack is freaking lame. It's like someone liking Launchpad McQuack. Why like him when GizmoDuck is so much cooler? Fenton Crackshell.

*walks off in shame*

justchris

Thunder Monkey said:
Why does no one use Megavolt? Or Bushroot?

QuackerJack is freaking lame. It's like someone liking Launchpad McQuack. Why like him when GizmoDuck is so much cooler? Fenton Crackshell.

*walks off in shame*

Actually, I have a friend who's a great fan of Launchpad McQuack. Personally, I'm for Negaduck all the way.

....oh, and uh...sales...awesome...and stuff....

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
titiklabingapat said:
That's the point. Wii Sports isn't just any other sports(arcade or otherwise) game and it doesn't even try.

so what about the "striving to underachieve" part is supposed to not disappoint me again?

i dont care what the point of the game is. its just disappointing to see.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
davepoobond said:
so what about striving to underachieve is supposed to not disappoint me again?

Trying to suck =/= not trying to "beat" simulations

I know you're probably just trying to be cute, but it's these kind of intentionally mis-representative posts that make this place so 'faqish. Knock it off.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Oldschool said:
PSP Slim shortages in Japan? :lol

2007-08-12-507.jpg

Hardware launches mean one thing: Hardware shortages. This September's PSP Slim launch looks to be no different. Amazon Japan pre-orders for the PSP Slim (PSP-2000CW) have already closed, and the Sofmap in Akihabara is posting signs mentioning that because of shortages, customers can reserve only one PSP Slim. It also seems like they're not letting customers pick which color they want. Also! Sofmap is allowing one 1seg PSP tuner per person. Whenever new hardware launches, I can't help but thinking some of the demand is created through forced shortages. Call me jaded.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/one-per-person/upcoming-psp-slim-shortages-in-japan-288635.php

WOW if true.

They better buy some damn games because I am sick of seeing the PSP sell very well on the hardware side, but not on the software side.

Defuser

Hcoregamer00 said:
They better buy some damn games because I am sick of seeing the PSP sell very well on the hardware side, but not on the software side.
Maybe there's a few japanese who hates handheld gaming but now they can play it on their TV...

ethelred

Defuser said:
Maybe there's a few japanese who hates handheld gaming...

Yeeeaaahh... considering that the DS is poised to become the best selling game console in Japanese history, I'm guessing that's not really such a factor.

Defuser said:
... but now they can play it on their TV...

That must explain the shocking increase of GameCube sales following the release of the Game Boy Player.

lupin23rd

Famitsu news and numbers on Tuesday.
Media Create software on Wednesday.
Media Create hardware on Thursday.
Obon in Japan - we get shit all this week :(

Its ok, I think cvxfreak made the same mistake too.

So does anyone know what happened to Famitsu tonite?
were there no new releases and sinobi first day #'s?

justchris said:
Actually, I have a friend who's a great fan of Launchpad McQuack. Personally, I'm for Negaduck all the way.

....oh, and uh...sales...awesome...and stuff....
Psssh, Negaduck was just a Wolverineified evil Darkwing.

I have no respect for you sir.

So many graphs in Sales-Age threads... so little time.

Its not like PSP Slim is going to sell millions but its going to be quite difficult for Sony to spread a good amount of units in the 3 markets at the same time.

I wonder if they will delay the european one again...

Who knows, maybe SCEJ learned something (HIGHLY DOUBTFUL THOUGHT) and they took some time to prepare the launch. They better do at least in Japan, the most important 3rd party title performance could very well depend on that.

Izzy

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Who knows, maybe SCEJ learned something (HIGHLY DOUBTFUL THOUGHT) and they took some time to prepare the launch. They better do at least in Japan, the most important 3rd party title performance could very well depend on that.

Are you referring to R-type Tactics or MGS Mobile Ops GH +?

Izzy

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Crisis Core 2nd week...

Ah, I know, I was just joking.

Crisis Core, IMO, will not be a big killer app. Both Dirge of Cerberus and Advent Children performed below expectations, and another FF main series spin-off, Revenant Wings, sold 500k copies LTD, although it was on a much more popular handheld.

Is it reasonable to expect Crisis Core on PSP to outsell Revenant Wings?

justjohn

Izzy said:
I predict 3ook first week and 500k LTD sales. Perhaps just a tiny bit lower.
dude crisis core will be huge. and will be launching at around the same time as the psp slim, those two will go hand in hand in good sales

C.T.

Izzy said:
I predict 3ook first week and 500k LTD sales. Perhapsy just a tiny bit lower.

Revenant Wing is a above average RTS based on a less popular FF spinoff. Crisis core is a prequel to the best selling FF. It isn't a spinoff but the prelude to FF VII and is starring Zack and Cloud. It basically expands the universe of FF VII and is way more ambitious than anything FF related on DS. Sure, the PSP hasn't a big userbase in japan, but core gamer will buy the psp (if they haven't already) just do play the game. perhaps they sell the psp afterwards, but that doesn't matter for game sales.

ethelred

C.T. said:
Revenant Wing is a above average RTS based on a less popular FF spinoff.

Well, it's an RTS RPG. Dropping the fact that it's an RPG, you might as well drop that Crisis Core is an action RPG and just call it an action game.

C.T. said:
Crisis core is a prequel to the best selling FF. It isn't a spinoff but the prelude to FF VII and is starring Zack and Cloud.

It is a spinoff, actually -- it's not like FFX-2 where the core gameplay mechanics were left intact. Crisis Core is a spinoff, just like Before Crisis and Dirge of Cerberus were spinoffs. Revenant Wings had a story that picked up right after FFXII and starred almost the whole cast of the original FFXII, but it was still a spinoff also.

C.T. said:
It basically expands the universe of FF VII and is way more ambitious than anything FF related on DS.

Really? Why do you say that? Sure it has better graphics (it is on a system with stronger graphical capabilities), but I don't see it as more ambitious than everything FF related on the DS. The FFIII and FFIV remakes are pretty ambitious. So is Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates. So was Revenant Wings.

Crisis Core is a really pretty game made by the same team that did the Before Crisis mobile phone game. It's got the same director as Before Crisis, the same composer as It's a Wonderful World... It's not like Yoshinori Kitase was so awed by the ambition and scope of the project that he sat himself back down in the director chair and had Toriyama and Nomura slaving over it night and day alongside himself.

I'm just curious how we're measuring ambition here.

C.T. said:
Sure, the PSP hasn't a big userbase in japan, but core gamer will buy the psp (if they haven't already) just do play the game. perhaps they sell the psp afterwards, but that doesn't matter for game sales.

True. People will buy this game. It will be very successful.

Izzy said:
Ah, I know, I was just joking.

Crisis Core, IMO, will not be a big killer app. Both Dirge of Cerberus and Advent Children performed below expectations, and another FF main series spin-off, Revenant Wings, sold 500k copies LTD, although it was on a much more popular handheld.

Is it reasonable to expect Crisis Core on PSP to outsell Revenant Wings?
Yeah, it should outsell RW. I'd say it should do like FFX-2 if it was on a domestic (and leader) console, but since it is on a 2nd-position portable I'd lower my expectations to 750k-1m.

Although there are many factors that could break its performance like if the game's quality is subpar like Dirge of Cerberus (which barely sold anything after first week) or if PSP slim is delayed (basically it'd kill any buzz the game could gain with new/old users buying a game plus the slim model) or SE missing demand.

Good timing for this crappy mobile pic I saw in gamefront:
http://sylphys.ddo.jp/upld2nd/game2/src/1187181668603.jpg

Izzy

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Yeah, it should outsell RW. I'd say it should do like FFX-2 if it was on a domestic (and leader) console, but since it is on a 2nd-position portable I'd lower my expectations to 750k-1m.

Although there are many factors that could break its performance like if the game's quality is subpar like Dirge of Cerberus (which barely sold anything after first week) or if PSP slim is delayed (basically it'd kill any buzz the game could gain with new/old users buying a game plus the slim model) or SE missing demand.

Good timing for this crappy mobile pic I saw in gamefront:
http://sylphys.ddo.jp/upld2nd/game2/src/1187181668603.jpg

That pic must be from the latest Jump magazine.

Unlike Crisis Core, FFX-2 was a true sequel, not a mere spin-off. Thus far we haven't seen much of a Square Enix marketing push behind the game although it launches in less than a month. 500k is a great number for a FF spin-off in Japan anyway.

Also, I wouldn't put much faith in PSP 2000 launch rekindling CC sales. It will sell or flop on its own merrits.

But I do expect PSP Slim to be very successful in Japan.

test_account

XP-39C²
C.T said:
Sure, the PSP hasn't a big userbase in japan, but core gamer will buy the psp (if they haven't already) just do play the game. perhaps they sell the psp afterwards, but that doesn't matter for game sales.

~5.8 million isnt considered big?

C.T.

ethelred said:
Well, it's an RTS RPG. Dropping the fact that it's an RPG, you might as well drop that Crisis Core is an action RPG and just call it an action game.

Sure, I just wanted to point out it isn't that popular of a genre in japan with few exceptions.

It is a spinoff, actually -- it's not like FFX-2 where the core gameplay mechanics were left intact. Crisis Core is a spinoff, just like Before Crisis and Dirge of Cerberus were spinoffs. Revenant Wings had a story that picked up right after FFXII and starred almost the whole cast of the original FFXII, but it was still a spinoff also.

The materia system is still intact. And changed or tweaked gameplay mechanics doesn't change the fact that the story is a direct prequel to FF VII with Zack in lead and Cloud possibly playable as a side character. It isn't a sidestory.

Really? Why do you say that? Sure it has better graphics (it is on a system with stronger graphical capabilities), but I don't see it as more ambitious than everything FF related on the DS. The FFIII and FFIV remakes are pretty ambitious. So is Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates. So was Revenant Wings.

Its in development since the announcement of PSP and got a huge team. FF DS games on the other hand were outsourced, ports and therefore not that "ambitious". I would call CC: Ring of fates ambitious, still it isn't such a popular IP.

Crisis Core is a really pretty game made by the same team that did the Before Crisis mobile phone game. It's got the same director as Before Crisis, the same composer as It's a Wonderful World... It's not like Yoshinori Kitase was so awed by the ambition and scope of the project that he sat himself back down in the director chair and had Toriyama and Nomura slaving over it night and day alongside himself.

I'm just curious how we're measuring ambition here.

Well perhaps I don't know as much about their internal teams as you but IMO a lot of Square DS games weren't pushing the system, FFCC: ring of fates is an exception. Sure, choosing 2D in favor of 3D is a viable design choice for DS games, but Square wasn't going for a chinematic experience which is so typical for FF games nowadays. Thats why I think previous DS games weren't as ambitious.

Edit:

Answer to trolling_account

We were comparing DS FF sales to possibly Crisis Core sales, therefore in relation it isn't as big. Absolutely speaking youre right, but that wasn't the context.

I think 5.8 million would be more... average? PSP, hardware-wise, is pretty much the definition of 'solid, if not spectacular'.

Anyway, I think FF7:CC should break 850K without too much trouble. Million seller a definite possibility.

Its in development since the announcement of PSP and got a huge team.

How long a game takes to make isn't especially indicative of the 'ambition' behind it. If anything, a game taking a stupidly long time without one seeing any justification for why it's taking so long is pretty indicative that something's not right behind the scenes.

Dude, what

ethelred

C.T. said:
The materia system is still intact. And changed or tweaked gameplay mechanics doesn't change the fact that the story is a direct prequel to FF VII with Zack in lead and Cloud possibly playable as a side character. It isn't a sidestory.

It's starring Zack, but Cloud isn't the star of the game. It is a side story -- the story of Zack in the years before the main story of FFVII. Simply starring a side character from the original game isn't enough to make a game not a spinoff (if so, then RW certainly wouldn't quality as a spinoff, since it stars Vaan, Penelo, Balthier, Fran, Basch, and Ashe). And Dirge of Cerberus wouldn't be either, since its main character was actually a playable character in FFVII.

Crisis Core is a spinoff because it's not a continuation of the main story and because it uses totally different gameplay (it's an action RPG instead of a traditional RPG).

C.T. said:
Its in development since the announcement of PSP and got a huge team.

It hasn't been in development that long. It was announced with the announcement of the PSP, but they haven't been working on it the whole time. There was a long period where they weren't doing anything on the game because they were still doing other projects (like Before Crisis).

C.T. said:
FF DS games on the other hand were outsourced, ports and therefore not that "ambitious". I would call CC: Ring of fates ambitious, still it isn't such a popular IP.

Outsourced: I'm not sure which is more ambitious, actually -- giving the C-tier mobile phone team and its C-tier director a game themselves, or giving higher quality directors (like Tanaka, Tokita, and Toriyama) the director's chair but having the coding work done by outside teams.

Ports: Surely you're not suggesting that FFIII and FFIV are ports, right?

C.T. said:
Well perhaps I don't know as much about their internal teams as you but IMO a lot of Square DS games weren't pushing the system, FFCC: ring of fates is an exception. Sure, choosing 2D in favor of 3D is a viable design choice for DS games...

None of Square's Final Fantasy DS games have been 2D with the exception of FFT A2. FFIIIr and FFIVr are both full 3D, where RW uses sprites along with 3D backgrounds. The two remakes are certainly pushing the system, and so is Revenant Wings which looks comparable to some of the best stuff on the PSX.

C.T. said:
... but Square wasn't going for a chinematic experience which is so typical for FF games nowadays. Thats why I think previous DS games weren't as ambitious.

But RW is loaded with CG cutscenes -- surely that's a cinematic experience? The direction of FFIVr seems pretty cinematic and ambitious, too.

test_account

XP-39C²
C.T. said:

We were comparing DS FF sales to possibly Crisis Core sales, therefore in relation it isn't as big. Absolutely speaking youre right, but that wasn't the context.

So asking a normal question goes as trolling? Damn.. i better be careful if i'm asking you a question next time then hehe.

I know you compared those 2 games, but you said that PSP hasnt a big userbase in Japan, you didnt say compared to DS userbase, you said it wasnt big. Thats why i asked if 5.8 million is considered small, i thought maybe you didnt know PSP had sold that much. The DS userbase is indeed like 3 times bigger so the PSP userbase is smaller compared to this, but i wouldnt say that 5.8 million units sold goes as "not a big userbase" even if you compare it to DS or not.

Top Bottom