• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/9 - 7/15

ethelred said:
But... your prediction has already been proven wrong. You cannot seriously expect it to have an LTD of under 400,000 when it sold 300,000 in one week. You can't. No one can make a prediction that inane.

Oh my god.

I don't know man, it's like a burning in my head that hinders me haha. Maybe t's because my first week-month-year prediction was off and it's just stubborn pride?

Cygnus X-1 said:
I hust hope it passes the million and I'll happy. At least this game has confirmed that the Zelda's series will not die. I was seriously worried after Twilight Princess.

Why would Twilight Princess spell the death of the series? It only did poor in Japan. It sold several million in total.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
LanceStern said:
I steadfastly stick to my prediction, although it has broken a landmark.

For some reason however, I cannot call it a success. I don't know the reason for it, because if this were a 3rd party DS game I'd be very happy... but something about Dragon Quest Swords selling 305,000 units in so little of time (the highest ever for a Wii title, first or third party) beating most games LTD...

I can't say I call it a success despite it beating my 300k benchmark, which I must remind you that gamefront or gamesradar has confirmed me that it was correct at 300k. A landmark and great sales yes. But my head has the funny feeling that won't let me say "awesome job".

I think I'll have to wait for more 3rd party Wii titles to do at least over 200,000 to start a happy dance.

Go figure >_>

I can indeed call Zelda PH a phenomenal success, absolutely awesome.

Do you read what you're saying before your post, firstly, how can you hang on to your "prediction" when it was shown to be stupidly, massively off base? also, as your other post says, 300k means that SE has broke even, in a WEEK, anything now is all profit, how can that be anything other than so awesome?

There just really is no pleasing you.

LanceStern said:
I think you're just mad because their sales pattern are remarkably similar.

I won't go into detail at what the similarity is.
? I'm one for saying they're similar due to various circumstances, but considering all we have are first-day-ish Famitsu sales and first-week media Create sales, you're ready to compare patterns?
(Made stranger when the numbers were modified later.)
titiklabingapat said:
It would be cool if they finally get those Wiis out in the wild but this is just a momentary blip because of DQS.

But I want DS like domination, goddamit.
Even DS didn't reach DS-like domination that fast. In its first July, its biggest week was 45K. It did have a 103K week in August with Jump Super Stars, though.
ComputerNerd said:
It only did poor in Japan.
And not even that, really. Compare it to launch games on various systems, and few are bigger. There are those with enormous legs like Wii Sports, Wii Play, Super Mario 64 DS, and Wario Ware Touched!, though.

donny2112

Ragnarok10 said:
It's seems they've been pretty accurate to NPD (within +- 2%) the last few months.

I believe you may be talking about ioi's revised numbers that he puts out after NPD's release. The numbers he has before NPD's release have been drastically different than NPD and nowhere near +/- 2% off.

LanceStern said:
which I must remind you that gamefront or gamesradar has confirmed me that it was correct at 300k.

No. They probably took a guessed development cost for a Wii game and worked out the break even point from that. They were not saying that 300K is the benchmark for success on the Wii. Games do not all cost the same, and, as has been stated numerous times to you, one game could hit profit at 50K while another needs 600K.

With the drastically varying costs from game to game, using a single sell-through mark for a game to declare "success" is not wise.

cvxfreak

schuelma said:
I agree with you that many of us do that, but I was under the impression that cvxfreak wasn't any kind of Nintendo/Wii backer..just a RE nut.

Don't worry, I can confirm that ethelred isn't talking about me. :p

LanceStern said:

For some reason however, I cannot call it a success. I don't know the reason for it, because if this were a 3rd party DS game I'd be very happy... but something about Dragon Quest Swords selling 305,000 units in so little of time (the highest ever for a Wii title, first or third party) beating most games LTD...

I can't say I call it a success despite it beating my 300k benchmark, which I must remind you that gamefront or gamesradar has confirmed me that it was correct at 300k. A landmark and great sales yes. But my head has the funny feeling that won't let me say "awesome job".

I think I'll have to wait for more 3rd party Wii titles to do at least over 200,000 to start a happy dance.

Go figure >_>

Do you read what you post? You acknowledge the fact that DQS selling 300k in such little time and beating most games LTD in a week, yet you don't call it a success. Zelda did the exact same numbers first week and you call that phenomenal, yet you dismiss DQS. Why do you still stick by your predictions, do you realise how stupid and stubborn that is? Are u a closet Nintendo hater by any chance?

ZealousD said:
In one week, Dragon Quest Swords managed to outsell the LTD totals for Blue Dragon and Trusty Bell combined.

In some circles, this is known as an "oh snap".

and it out sold Folksoul and any other PS3 rpg..the Wii is a beast.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
ethelred said:
But... your prediction has already been proven wrong. You cannot seriously expect it to have an LTD of under 400,000 when it sold 300,000 in one week. You can't. No one can make a prediction that inane.

Oh my god.

Quick, post your list of other dragon quest spin-offs and how well they sold compared to DQ:S's first week.

sonic4ever said:
and it out sold Folksoul and any other PS3 game..the Wii is a beast.

That's a little more accurate.

BishopLamont said:
Do you read what you post? You acknowledge the fact that DQS selling 300k in such little time and beating most games LTD in a week, yet you don't call it a success. Zelda did the exact same numbers first week and you call that phenomenal, yet you dismiss DQS. Why do you still stick by your predictions, do you realise how stupid and stubborn that is? Are u a closet Nintendo hater by any chance?

He's an idiot it's ok.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
LanceStern said:

Go figure >_>

(neutral) LanceStern
Self-Hating Nintendo fan.
Really ****ing creepy too. Christ.

(Today, 12:45 PM)
Reply | Quote

I see now.

The Xbox 360 in Japan has the oddest titles that pop in and out of the charts (Titles that you wouldn't expect to be popular with Japanese).

I wonder how much of those tens of thousands of Xbox 360 sales that pop up here and there are from foreigners. It'd be interesting to know exactly how many foreign teachers are brought over there by companies like JET.

AniHawk said:
3rd party games don't sell on the Wii. If this was a PS3 game, it would've sold at least 800k day one.

Blame Wii-Fit
and how much it sucks

Beaten? Cant be bothered to check.

Good legs Zelda, now Nintendo give us a LA remake >_<

donny2112

WickedAngel said:
The Xbox 360 in Japan has the oddest titles that pop in and out of the charts (Titles that you wouldn't expect to be popular with Japanese).

From Vinnk's anecdotal evidence, the 360 is very popular with the hardcore crowd in Japan. It's just that the hardcore crowd isn't very large. I don't know the makeup of the hardcore in Japan, but I would suspect that most would be Japanese and not gaijin.

LanceStern said:

Go figure >_>

You're trying too hard to fit into the mold in which NeoGAF recognizes you.

jarrod

Banned
sonic4ever said:
Actually, did it outsell all the HD RPGs combined already? What's the ltd for Blue Dragon, Trusty Bell, Folksoul, Enchant Arm and all that Idea Factory shovelware?

test_account

XP-39C²
sonic4ever said:

Isnt Dragon Quest the most popular RPG serie in Japan? Folksoul is a brand new and "unknown" IP. Wii got 2 million more consoles out there (in Japan) so its not really any suprise that a DQ game for Wii sold more than a "unknown" game for PS3.

JavyOO7

I wish DQ: Swords would come out in America this year but I doubt it will.

Selling 300k on its first week is terrific. Hopefully it trudges on to better sales.

JavyOO7

Stealth Editor said:
You'll be lucky if it gets released at all (unless I missed an announcement?)

DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Platform: Wii
ESRB Rating: Not Yet Rated
Release Date: TBA
Developed from the ground up to take advantage of the Nintendo Wii and
its motion sensing technology, the worldwide phenomenon that has captivated
more than 41 million players across the world slashes its way onto
Nintendo's next- generation platform in 2008 in the form of DRAGON QUEST
SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors. This exclusive title
utilizes the Wii's motion sensing controls as players use the Wii remote to
slash, parry and slice their way through a land filled with trademark
DRAGON QUEST foes. Developed with both longtime fans and casual audiences
in mind, DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors is
poised to take video gaming to an entirely new level of fun and
interaction.

2008 according to their PR. It should be here sooner though. Oh well, as long as it comes out during the drought months next year...

donny2112

jarrod said:
Actually, did it outsell all the HD RPGs combined already? What's the ltd for Blue Dragon, Trusty Bell, Folksoul, Enchant Arm and all that Idea Factory shovelware?

Blue Dragon is a touch under 200K. Combined with the others, DQ:S may be higher now. It definitely will be higher in a couple of weeks, though.

laserbeam

Banned
JavyOO7 said:
2008 according to their PR. It should be here sooner though. Oh well, as long as it comes out during the drought months next year...

Reggie at E3 said early next year so it could be a Q1 or Q2 title

taconinja

LanceStern said:

Go figure >_>

Good Lord, man.

Anybody have that flashing subway train gif? I forgot to save that one.

6gb9n5v.png

Haunted

I know it's DQ, but I did not expect a spin-off on Wii to sell that well. I understand that DQ sales are always very frontloaded and this is a traditional game (not one of the titles who show ~Training or Wii___ - type legs), so I'm interested in where the journey goes from this excellent start.

And I love how everyone is quoting LanceStern's ridiculous post, rendering my ignore list completely ****ing useless.
emot-argh.gif

thaivo

LanceStern said:
I don't know man, it's like a burning in my head that hinders me haha. Maybe t's because my first week-month-year prediction was off and it's just stubborn pride?

Maybe you are thinking about things in a PS3 game frame of mind (i.e., no legs whatsoever), but this is a DS game. The same rules definitely do not apply.

Cygnus X-1

LanceStern said:

Go figure >_>

Your brain pretend a little bit too much from a Spin-off. Maybe if it will show some legs yours synapsis will transmit a good sensation. :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
thaivo said:
Maybe you are thinking about things in a PS3 game frame of mind (i.e., no legs whatsoever), but this is a DS game. The same rules definitely do not apply.

It would be unprecedented for any game to have >75% first week sales.

Let's do a scan of the current five platforms and check for >75% first week sales:
Dragon Ball Z Shin Budokai 2 for the PSP had 76% first week sales
Call of Duty 3 for the XBox 360 had 83% first week sales
Super Robot Taisen XO for the XBox 360 had 80% first week sales

So, through 41 Wii games, 25 PS3 games, 71 XBox 360 games, 123 PSP games, and 244 DS games (that's 504 games total), 3 games have >75% first week sales. The only games I excluded were games currently on the charts and around 10 games listed at 100% first week sales because we haven't had a Famitsu half-year report since they came out.

No matter what console precedent you're using, <400k is impossible. LanceStern is wrong, as usual.

I think success might have been too strong of a word.

+ It sold 300k, which based off gamesradar analysis, it has ALREADY broken even in profit.
+ It is the highest selling 3rd party Wii game to date, and doing what most DS games (with a userbase 6 times that of Wii) did not do, which break 300k. It did this in the first week of sales. Quickly and already-ally becoming the best 3rd party seller over GCN's Naruto...

Yea, success definitely was too harsh a word. It is a success simply by selling so much in one week.

I don't know what the word is I'm looking for. I'll have to wait for second week numbers, to deem it.... (Whatever word I'm looking for).

And by sticking to my prediction, I mean LTD guys. Of course my first week/month/year is off the numebrs don't lie

P.S. Don't ban me Dragona please.
P.P.S. Yes I am trying noiw to think before I post and make sure my emotions aren't posting for me. A 5 minute wait always helps too.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
thaivo said:

Hang about.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LanceStern said:
And by sticking to my prediction, I mean LTD guys. Of course my first week/month/year is off the numebrs don't lie

You did not make an LTD prediction. You made an full 2007 prediction and a one year prediction. Your full 2007 prediction is already wrong and your one year prediction will be wrong by next week.

These are the predictions you made:
First week: 108 - 120k
Second Week: 45-60k
First Month: 185 - 200k
LTD 2007: 280 - 300k
One Year: 350k < DQS LTD < 400k

Even being needlessly stingy and assuming there's no legs on this game and that the game sells 67% of it's full sales in week one, you're still looking at a total of 450k.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
test_account said:
Isnt Dragon Quest the most popular RPG serie in Japan? Folksoul is a brand new and "unknown" IP. Wii got 2 million more consoles out there (in Japan) so its not really any suprise that a DQ game for Wii sold more than a "unknown" game for PS3.

Sigh

Someone post the DQ spinoff chart again

Normally I don't mind the "third parties don't sell on Nintendo systems", but in this thread the urge of some posters to make it seem like DQ is a failure seems rather big. :lol

Innotech

Banned
norinrad21 said:
Someone needs to dig up the thread from a year ago when i predicted Japan was in the bag after the first showing of the waggle wand. I know whiteman was pissing his pants laughing at me.

Whose laughing now whiteman?
Actually, I said the same thing (wasnt a member of Gaf back then but I told my friends it would explode in Japan) Japan seems to love this quirky stuff. Everything about the system screams unprecedented Japanese sales potential.

Stumpokapow said:
You did not make an LTD prediction. You made an full 2007 prediction and a one year prediction. Your full 2007 prediction is already wrong and your one year prediction will be wrong by next week.

These are the predictions you made:

Even being needlessly stingy and assuming there's no legs on this game and that the game sells 67% of it's full sales in week one, you're still looking at a total of 450k.

I'm taking the needlessly stingy rout with that one year prediction of mine. Full frontal sales 1st month.... then they go back to buying wii play/sports and forget about it, that's what the prediction tyou quoted means anyways...

Josh, I knew naruto sold 400k, but the way these guys are tallking to me, and based off their predictions, they are telling me that it will be over 400k in the next week or two./ Quickly, and perhaps even already by some standards, DQS is at 400k.

I'm going to have to be more thorough in my messages

jarrod

Banned
donny2112 said:
Blue Dragon is a touch under 200K. Combined with the others, DQ:S may be higher now. It definitely will be higher in a couple of weeks, though.
Happen to have the data? I wouldn't mind seeing how all the new gen RPGs are doing comparably... throw in Super Paper Mario and Fire Emblem too.

Linkup

test_account said:
Isnt Dragon Quest the most popular RPG series in Japan? Folksoul is a brand new and "unknown" IP. Wii got 2 million more consoles out there (in Japan) so its not really any surprise that a DQ game for Wii sold more than a "unknown" game for PS3.

Isn't Wiisports on its way to a LTD of 2M? oh wait that isn't an RPG so it doesn't count or it isn't a third party game(in comparison to DQ) or it isn't a second party RPG so it doesn't count. That doesn't even matter that much, we all like to crush peoples dreams(especially of the fanboy type) and rub it in(of the reality type). People knew the installed base of the system at the time. HSG is one of the first titles since launch(RR6?7?) that has a lot of casual appeal, but I still don't expect much for various reasons. I can bet people will start mocking the guys who were wrong if HSG does good numbers.

Quick, somebody claim they don't care yet argue the issue anyway.

test_account

XP-39C²
Linkup said:
Isn't Wiisports on its way to a LTD of 2M? oh wait that isn't an RPG so it doesn't count or it isn't a third party game(in comparison to DQ) or it isn't a second party RPG so it doesn't count. That doesn't even matter that much, we all like to crush peoples dreams(especially of the fanboy type) and rub it in(of the reality type). People knew the installed base of the system at the time. HSG is one of the first titles since launch(RR6?7?) that has a lot of casual appeal, but I still don't expect much for various reasons. I can bet people will start mocking the guys who were wrong if HSG does good numbers.

Its the game itself you must look at, it doesnt matter if its 3rd party 2nd party or 1st part made as long as its fun. I dont think people go into the store and say "hey, this is a 3rd party game, i cant buyit because all 3rd party games automaticly sux!". Point is that DQ is mega popular. Are anyone suprised that a DQ game sold more than Folksoul?

Sure, you can rub the salenumbers in fanboys face (or whoever that care enough about it) for fun and crushing dreams (altho i doubt someone's dream will be crushed :p ) but i dont quite see the point doing it with a DQ game that you can in advance say will sell pretty good no matter what. Like i can now say that DQIX will sell damn good, thats a given, but i cant say for sure that i.e White Knight Story (or whats it called) for PS3 will sell damn good. So if you wanna rub something in, its better to do it with a "unknown" game, not a game you know will sell well ;)

EDIT: I guess i knew what you ment with "crushed dreams" so i removed that question :)

test_account said:
I made that coment becuase another peroson said this:

ZealousD said:
In one week, Dragon Quest Swords managed to outsell the LTD totals for Blue Dragon and Trusty Bell combined.

In some circles, this is known as an "oh snap".

The Wii is beating everything in Japan. If people use the excuse that Folksoul is a new IP , then so are Blue Dragon and Trusty Bell.

Linkup

test_account said:
Crush dreams? I dont quite follow you there. What do you mean?

Its the game itself you must look at, it doesnt matter if its 3rd party 2nd party or 1st part made as long as its fun. I dont think people go into the store and say "hey, this is a 3rd party game, i cant buyit because all 3rd party games automaticly sux!". Point is that DQ is mega popular.Are anyone suprised that a DQ game sold more than Folksoul?

Sure, you can rub the salenumbers in fanboys face (or whoever that care enough about it) for fun :p but i dont quite see the point doing it with a DQ game that you can in advance say will sell pretty good no matter what. Like i can now say that DQIX will sell damn good, thats a given, but i cant say for sure that i.e White Knight Story (or whats it called) for PS3 will sell damn good.

Your right.

noonche

Folksoul was even more of a bomb than usual. I would've expected it to do Ninja Gaiden Sigma / Trusty Bell levels of sales, but it couldn't even muster that. It's too bad as the demo really was a lot of fun.

More on topic, does media create or enterbrain publish information on their methods apart from "we poll retailers"? I'm curious what kind of coverage these Japanese tracking firms have.

test_account

XP-39C²
sonic4ever said:
The Wii is beating everything in Japan. If people use the excuse that Folksoul is a new IP , then so are Blue Dragon and Trusty Bell.

True that Wii is on a roll, no doubt about that, but when you said "it outsold Folksoul" it sounded like it was a big accomplishment or suprise. Thats why i commented that DQ is so popular that its no suprise that it outsold Folksoul. Dunno if that was what you ment tho.

Blue Dragon and Trusty Bell are indeed new IPs, but the developers of these 2 games have much better history in creating RPGs and these 2 games where much more anticipated and wanted. So its not just because of a new IP of course, its other factors too, like whos making the game etc.

By the way, Folksoul isnt exactly a "true" RPG like Blue Dragon and Trusty bell? I havnt played any of them, but i'm under the impression that Folksoul is more of an action RPG, while Blue Dragon and Trusty bell are more traditional RPGs where you walk around and talk to people etc. Correct me if i'm wrong. Does PS3 have any traditional RPGs yet?

Top Bottom