• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 9/24 - 9/30 2007: Halo on top!

I'm not surprised or disappointed with Mysims performance. Although I've only played it for an hour or two, it just feels like a weak attempt to attract the animal crossing audience. It definitely deserved its sales IMO. Glad i only borrowed it from a friend.

apujanata

Jonnyram said:
They're already #3 because some bank (either SMBC or MUFJ) rose back up to #2.

I think it is MUFJ (Mitsubishi Bank ??), since Koam mentioned that Mitsubishi's stock was suspended when Nintendo was #2.

Personally, I think Nintendo's share price is too high. It can come down a lot if there is any decrease in DS or Wii sales (which has happened in Japan, but was countered by increase in US and Europe at the same time).

If the Famitsu H/W you gave us also apply to M-create, then the hope for crossed stream between X360 and PS3 might not happen, ever. The only remaining question is the crossing stream between Wii and PS3 (which IMO is of lower probability than X360 crossing stream with PS3).

Odysseus

Banned
how many times in history has an xbox/xbox 360 game topped the japanese charts for a week? anyone know?

i can only think of a handful of possible games, namely the team ninja games, but i don't know what they were up against.

Lightning

Banned
Busaiku said:
There may be one more chance for 360 and PS3 to cross with Lost Odyssey.
In the holiday season when the PS3 are launching GT5 Prologue the very next week? Good luck with that one.

Besides, if Sony are clever Japan will get a price drop along with EU and US. The EU/US drops are pretty much confirmed but nothing on Japan is quite depressing.

Orlics

Lightning said:
In the holiday season when the PS3 are launching GT5 Prologue the very next week? Good luck with that one.

Uh, have there ever been hardware bumps for games coming out the next week? I honestly don't know.

C4Lukins said:
Jay Leno still tells Monica Lewinsky jokes. Do not be Jay Leno.
Dave is far from "fresh" but at least his humor has some relevance today. Jay Leno hasn't been relevant since his stint as a Spider-Man sidekick in a one shot drawn by Todd McFarlane in the early '90s.

Jon Stewart and Colbert are the futures of latenight though.

Thunder Monkey said:
Dave is far from "fresh" but at least his humor has some relevance today. Jay Leno hasn't been relevant since his stint as a Spider-Man sidekick in a one shot drawn by Todd McFarlane in the early '90s.

Actually it's Conan who is replacing Leno in 2009

Jonnyram

Lightning said:
Well, the 360 has by far the most promising holiday lineup for Japanese consumers. Katamari, Ace Combat, Gundam Musou, Dynasty Warriors 6, VF5 Online, PES2008, Lost Odyssey, PGR4, Smash Court Tennis 3... it's not like it's just Lost Odyssey vs GT5 Prologue. Besides, if the PS3 doesn't see a price drop in Japan, MS has one major advantage in that area.

Like I said in the other thread, for a FPS on 360 those Halo 3 numbers are pretty impressive. It just goes to show that there is a niche market for western style games in Japan. Watch it drop like a rock in the next weeks, should be able to topple 100.000 easily though. Beating BD? I don't think so. It may beat Resistance's LTD (116.657 according to Moor-Angol's site).

reilo said:
Well, if you asked a certain group of people? "Supply shortages."
Halo 3 is short on supply?

Ether_Snake said:
Err it's pretty likely. 360 sold 40,000 when Blue Dragon came out.
Famitsu numbers say no. In Japan anyone who wanted Halo 3 already got a 360.

_Alkaline_ said:
Wow at MySims - I thought the new style would help it sell in Japan. Ouch.
That was the plan, wasn't it? I kind of remember a dev interview about it. Didn't work out apparantly. Is Sims a strong franchise in Japan though? I kind of doubt that being on PC and everything. I guess if you don't have strong advertising people who could be interested in the title just don't know about it.

Or Japan simply doesn't care for western games in a japanese/chibby style.

Makes you wonder if LBP will be a system seller in Japan :lol . Not that anyone agrees with Pachter in the first place.

Xeke

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

Colbert is my hero. Especially when I am ripped.

tehbear

Lightning said:

Besides, if Sony are clever Japan will get a price drop along with EU and US. The EU/US drops are pretty much confirmed but nothing on Japan is quite depressing.

Still don't think price is that big of an issue for Sony in Japan. A drop will increase sales, but not nearly the level that would matter to all these third parties complaining cause at the end of the day, it's still long sales drought followed by long sales drought. Though all my predictions are null if Japan actually buys lair.

Lightning

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Well, the 360 has by far the most promising holiday lineup for Japanese consumers. Katamari, Ace Combat, Gundam Musou, Dynasty Warriors 6, VF5 Online, PES2008, Lost Odyssey, PGR4, Smash Court Tennis 3... it's not like it's just Lost Odyssey vs GT5 Prologue. Besides, if the PS3 doesn't see a price drop in Japan, MS has one major advantage in that area.
PES08 is multiplat, most people will buy the PS3/PS2 versions. PGR is not big in Japan to my knowledge, VF5 might do something, I doubt it. Most of those games are not going to have much impact, LO is the best chance but I still think that GT5 Prologue will sell more and be the bigger game for Japan.

I guess we'll see though, the 360 might, I just hope that Japan do see the price drop that the rest of the world is getting because otherwise the worries go beyond losing to the 360 LO week.

tehbear said:
Still don't think price is that big of an issue for Sony in Japan. A drop will increase sales, but not nearly the level that would matter to all these third parties complaining cause at the end of the day, it's still long sales drought followed by long sales drought. Though all my predictions are null if Japan actually buys lair.
Famitsu rated Lair quite highly, but Lair will be bomb city. I am hoping that Heavenly Sword and Ratchet do well though, but I feel I am being overly optimistic.

perfectchaos007 said:
Actually it's Conan who is replacing Leno in 2009
Regardless of where Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert end up they already point in the direction that my generation is going. Completely and utterly disillusioned with the way politics are played today, and ready for a good heaping helping of humbling stew.

Conan is funny, and he'd be a better Jay Leno then Jay Leno, but he's not what my generation will look at when they think of latenight. We've already been pegged as one of the more oddball and self involved generations to come out of America.

Anyway... none of my posts so far have been ontopic so I'll start by saying "Wow" to Halo. Good for it, Bungie needs as much money as they can get when they start mass producing WiiFitalikes for Nintendo.

Xeke said:
Colbert is my hero. Especially when I am ripped.
He lets me watch Bill O'Reilly without actually having to watch Bill O'Reilly!

Colbert is one of the greatest things to happen to Comedy Central since they discovered people would watch a show about puppets which cost $9.50 to make a week. Which they still couldn't be profitable with.

Lobster said:
Animal Crossing...non-game???
By Iwata's definition, yes. He used AC directly as an example for a non-game, since it has no goal and is a play-along-title. GAF's use for non-game is different though.

What makes me wonder about BA2 is with the addition of the Dr. Mario game can we now consider this a game?

Lightning said:

Well it is the cheapest out of the three major regions already, remember they had a "price-drop" on the 20 Gig shortly before launch.

edit:
Jonnyram said:
Actually, don't rule this out. It sold 70% of stock on the first day.
Hey, not bad. Thanks for the info.

Jasoncheng said:
TOP30
NDS:13
Wii:6

PSP:5
PS2:3
XBOX360:2
PS3:1

Why is everyone dancing?

tinfoil_hat_cat.jpg

Jonnyram

Lightning said:
Most of those games are not going to have much impact
You are discounting three major Namco franchises as not having much impact? Perhaps MS is going after the wrong exclusives. Maybe they should have gone after... oh wait, the only respectable third party exclusive on PS3 this holiday is Time Crisis 4.

Lightning

Banned
Jonnyram said:
You are discounting three major Namco franchises as not having much impact? Perhaps MS is going after the wrong exclusives. Maybe they should have gone after... oh wait, the only respectable third party exclusive on PS3 this holiday is Time Crisis 4.
If VF5 didn't have much impact for the PS3 and Japan don't like online gaming what makes you think VF5 online is going to move consoles? Katamari doesn't exactly strike me as a huge console seller, call me pessimistic and Ace Combat 6 may do ok, but I wouldn't bet on it.

ethelred

Jonnyram said:
You are discounting three major Namco franchises as not having much impact?

?

72,129 Ridge Racer 6 (Namco) (12/10/05)
61,267 Trusty Bell: Chopin no Yume(Namco) (6/14/07)
46,339 The Idol Master (Namco) (1/25/07)

Lightning said:
If VF5 didn't have much impact for the PS3 and Japan don't like online gaming what makes you think VF5 online is going to move consoles? Katamari doesn't exactly strike me as a huge console seller, call me pessimistic and Ace Combat 6 may do ok, but I wouldn't bet on it.

No, you're right. Ace Combat isn't that huge a seller:

Code:
Ace Combat 4	PS2 	357,742
Ace Combat 5	PS2 	294,365
Belkan War	PS2 	202,041
Ace Combat X	PSP 	104,017

Neither is Katamari:

Code:
Katamari 1		PS2  	155,869
Katamari 1 (Best)	PS2	74,519
Katamari 2		PS2 	116,130
Katamari 2 (Best)	PS2 	28,804
Katamari Portable	PSP 	82,406

Grimmy

Banned
Jonnyram said:

Yes, I'm also going to discount this supposed "impact". Kamatari is not a major franchise - not even close. Not even a 2nd-tier. I'd be surprised it if sold similar to Time Crisis 4 (in fact, I think it will sell way less). Few care about on-line play in Japan so VF5 won't make a dent. Smash Court also not a huge (ie 100,000 1st week) seller. PES2008 and Dynasty Warriors 6, more people will buy in the PS3 than on the 360. PGR4 is not poular in Japan.

Which leaves, what, Ace Combat and Lost Odyssey.

Jonnyram

Lightning said:
So, basically, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is the only game coming out this holiday that can shift hardware - is that what you're saying? Oh wait... Originally Posted by Lightning. Sorry, forgive me for wasting your time.

Lobster

Banned
zallaaa said:
HALO on top AND 4 DS titles only??? OMG the fad is vanishing, THEY were right!!!!!!!!!

Wow, the fad sold almost 20 million in Japan before it started vanishing. Thats good news for Wii.

Lightning

Banned
Jonnyram said:
So, basically, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is the only game coming out this holiday that can shift hardware - is that what you're saying? Oh wait... Originally Posted by Lightning. Sorry, forgive me for wasting your time.
I am not sorry for wasting your time, you are the one who replied to my opinion by stating an opposing opinion. Not my fault you feel it's wasted.

I also never stated that GT5 Prologue will be the only game moving hardware, I am not even sure how much hardware it will move, all that I am saying is that 360 lineup you posted is not as impressive as you are trying to make it out to be.

If PES08 does anything, it will be for the Sony systems, not the 360.

Jonnyram

Lightning said:
Japan don't like online gaming
Grimmy said:
Few care about on-line play in Japan
Jesus fucking christ people. Maybe you are stretching the definition of "few" a little too much here...
Phantasy Star Online.
Final Fantasy XI.
Animal Crossing DS.
Mario Kart DS.
Tetris DS.
Phantasy Star Universe.
Monster Hunter Frontier.

HELLOOOO!?

Jonnyram said:

The consensus on japanese msg board chatter is that katamari and AC6 will appear on the PS3 within 6 months of the 360's release. In any case, those games aren't anywhere near to being system movers in japan and most diehards of those titles will hold out for the rumored ps3 releases instead of making the switch to a 360.

C4Lukins

Takuhi said:
According to the Tsutaya report, Halo 3 remains widely sold out in Japan. So there's a chance it will get a good second week of sales after all.

http://mainichi.jp/enta/mantan/game/matsuo/news/20071003mog00m200004000c.html

人気マンガ原作の格闘アクション「ドラゴンボールZ スパーキングメテオ」(PS2、Wii、バンダイナムコゲームス)のPS2版がトップでしょう。原作の人気に加えて最終的に150体以上のキャラが使えるようになるという豊富なやり込み要素もユーザーの心をつかむと思います。2位には「実況パワフルメジャーリーグ2」と予想します。06年5月に発売された前作は、野球W杯で日本代表が優勝した直後だったこと、人気を集めるナンバーリングの続編の前に発売されたことなどの好条件が重なってヒットしましたが、今回もそれに近い売れ行きを期待したいですね。FFの坂口博信さんの「アルカイックシールドヒート」(DS、任天堂)、「ガンダムバトルクロニクル」(PSP、バンダイナムコゲームス)、Wii版「スパーキングメテオ」が続くと予想。PS3、Wiiと新型ハード発売を控え、売るものがなかった昨年と比べると今年は良い新作タイトルがそろっているので、しっかり提案していきたいですね。

◆先週の結果

予想通り「クライシス・コア(CC)~ファイナルファンタジー7」(PSP、スクウェア・エニックス)がV3を達成しました。新作では、人気マンガの格闘ゲーム「ブリーチ ブレイドバトラーズ2nd」(PS2、SCE)が予想以上に売れて2位に入りました。原作のマンガが盛り上がっていることやアニメに登場したばかりの新キャラクターがすでに収録されている対応の早さがファンの心をつかんだのでしょう。Xbox360の人気アクション「ヘイロー3」(マイクロソフト)も予想をはるかに上回る売れ行きで、ほとんどのお店で売り切れていると思います。

I read the entire article, and while the 360 seems to have a lot of squares, the Wii still seems to be defeating it by a significant margin.

Lobster

Banned
C4Lukins said:
人気マンガ原作の格闘アクション「ドラゴンボールZ スパーキングメテオ」(PS2、Wii、バンダイナムコゲームス)のPS2版がトップでしょう。原作の人気に加えて最終的に150体以上のキャラが使えるようになるという豊富なやり込み要素もユーザーの心をつかむと思います。2位には「実況パワフルメジャーリーグ2」と予想します。06年5月に発売された前作は、野球W杯で日本代表が優勝した直後だったこと、人気を集めるナンバーリングの続編の前に発売されたことなどの好条件が重なってヒットしましたが、今回もそれに近い売れ行きを期待したいですね。FFの坂口博信さんの「アルカイックシールドヒート」(DS、任天堂)、「ガンダムバトルクロニクル」(PSP、バンダイナムコゲームス)、Wii版「スパーキングメテオ」が続くと予想。PS3、Wiiと新型ハード発売を控え、売るものがなかった昨年と比べると今年は良い新作タイトルがそろっているので、しっかり提案していきたいですね。

◆先週の結果

予想通り「クライシス・コア(CC)~ファイナルファンタジー7」(PSP、スクウェア・エニックス)がV3を達成しました。新作では、人気マンガの格闘ゲーム「ブリーチ ブレイドバトラーズ2nd」(PS2、SCE)が予想以上に売れて2位に入りました。原作のマンガが盛り上がっていることやアニメに登場したばかりの新キャラクターがすでに収録されている対応の早さがファンの心をつかんだのでしょう。Xbox360の人気アクション「ヘイロー3」(マイクロソフト)も予想をはるかに上回る売れ行きで、ほとんどのお店で売り切れていると思います。

I read the entire article, and while the 360 seems to have a lot of squares, the Wii still seems to be defeating it by a significant margin.

Wow at
PS3、

Sony am doomed, even the 360 got more then that.

C4Lukins

Lobster said:
Wow at

Sony am doomed, even the 360 got more then that.

Like this many more
の人気アクション「ヘイロー3」(マイクロソフト)も予 想をはるかに上回る売れ行きで、ほとんどのお店で売り切れていると思います。
minus 1. But I assume that the 3 in the middle is some sort of cubed on top of it all so it is not even close.

Wow! Isn't this the first time a western developed game has ever topped the Japanese charts? :D

Wii is totally fucked in Japan, it needs a miracle now to bring it back up to greatness!

Xeke

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Jesus fucking christ people. Maybe you are stretching the definition of "few" a little too much here...
Phantasy Star Online.
Final Fantasy XI.
Animal Crossing DS.
Mario Kart DS.
Tetris DS.
Phantasy Star Universe.
Monster Hunter Frontier.

HELLOOOO!?

Well half of those obviously don't count.

rakka

Nuclear Muffin said:
Wow! Isn't this the first time a western developed game has ever topped the Japanese charts? :D

don't think so.

a couple of the ps2 gta games did the same, didn't they?

Top Bottom