• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 9/24 - 9/30 2007: Halo on top!

Recoil

6cemxvm.gif
it never gets old. :lol

Jonnyram said:
Jesus fucking christ people. Maybe you are stretching the definition of "few" a little too much here...
Phantasy Star Online.
Final Fantasy XI.
Animal Crossing DS.
Mario Kart DS.
Tetris DS.

Phantasy Star Universe.
Monster Hunter Frontier.

HELLOOOO!?

The three games I've bolded can all be played single player with no troubles whatsoever. And given the great Monster Hunter sales on PSP, I'm not so sure about the Japanese buying Monster Hunter for online either.

C4Lukins

mj1108 said:
So what does that make the PS3 and 360 then?

Obviously they are the rulers of Japan and will impregnate their females and future success is guaranteed for the next billion years.

Jonnyram

Pureauthor said:
The three games I've bolded can all be played single player with no troubles whatsoever. And given the great Monster Hunter sales on PSP, I'm not so sure about the Japanese buying Monster Hunter for online either.
OK, so what is the point in this argument then? Every single online 360 also has a substantial single player component. Should we assume noone is playing the online part?
Have a look at leaderboards in games like RR6, Lost Planet (and RR7, Hot Shots Golf on the PS3). Japanese players have a very strong presence indeed.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Nuclear Muffin said:
Wow! Isn't this the first time a western developed game has ever topped the Japanese charts? :D

Wii is totally fucked in Japan, it needs a miracle now to bring it back up to greatness!

I guess you could refer to Super Mario Galaxy and Brawl as miracles. They are that good after all.

santouras

Pureauthor said:
two of those three games are also permanent fixtures in the top10 DS games played online every.single.week. I'm pretty sure Animal Crossing is bigger in japan then it is in the west as well, and that is consistently no2.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Defuser said:
I never expected good sales from IDEA FACTORY to start with.....
You'd expect a bit better than the usual because of the crowd they're targeting and the other talent involved (Red Entertainment), but I guess not. An IF game is still an IF game!

Grimmy

Banned
Jonnyram said:
OK, so what is the point in this argument then? Every single online 360 also has a substantial single player component. Should we assume noone is playing the online part?
Have a look at leaderboards in games like RR6, Lost Planet (and RR7, Hot Shots Golf on the PS3). Japanese players have a very strong presence indeed.

The argument is that you think somehow VF5 for 360 is gonna be a big seller. If it barely sold on the PS3, why in the world do you think people care if it has online or not? Any VF5 fan would have bought the PS3 game long ago, and really they won't rebuy it just for online.

And your examples are bad- half were DS games (they don't count) and the other half were MMORPGS (which are a totally different beast altogther since they are, ugh, only online?)

You need real examples of 360 software that will be considered a relative "hit" - ie. more than 100,000 in first week. Most likely none of the 360 games you listed (yes, including LOST ODYSSEY) will sell that much. But GT5 prologue WILL.

Jonnyram

Grimmy said:
The argument is that you think somehow VF5 for 360 is gonna be a big seller.
Whoa now, hold on a minute. I never said a single one of those games would be a big seller on its own. But as a combined mass, they make the 360 a very attractive console. If I was a Japanese gamer who didn't have a 360 yet, I'd look at that list and think "hey, this machine has a decent amount of support", regardless of whether I wanted one or many.

You need real examples of 360 software that will be considered a relative "hit" - ie. more than 100,000 in first week. Most likely none of the 360 games you listed (yes, including LOST ODYSSEY) will sell that much. But GT5 prologue WILL.
100,000 is considered a relative hit just because GT5 will sell more presumably? Where do you draw the line? Wherever you want, by the looks of it. The point is that 360 has very little to lose in its current position. Everyone thinks it's dead, and good sales will surprise everyone. But GT5 is the only major title coming out for PS3 this year in Japan. If it doesn't sell big, it says a lot about the PS3's future.

Grimmy

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Whoa now, hold on a minute. I never said a single one of those games would be a big seller on its own. But as a combined mass, they make the 360 a very attractive console. If I was a Japanese gamer who didn't have a 360 yet, I'd look at that list and think "hey, this machine has a decent amount of support", regardless of whether I wanted one or many.

Sorry, but no. Half of the games on your list is on PS3 too, the rest they don't care about. And what I mean by "care" is by selling at least 100,000 1st week (which is not even much at all and hardly considered a number that will make any console a "hit"). Support doesn't mean anything when there's no game people want to play - and that goes for PS3 as well. But it's definitely false to say that "Well, the 360 has by far the most promising holiday lineup for Japanese consumers. " It is not promising. at. all.

Jonnyram said:
100,000 is considered a relative hit just because GT5 will sell more presumably? Where do you draw the line? Wherever you want, by the looks of it. The point is that 360 has very little to lose in its current position. Everyone thinks it's dead, and good sales will surprise everyone. But GT5 is the only major title coming out for PS3 this year in Japan. If it doesn't sell big, it says a lot about the PS3's future.

We are in the sales thread - of course we're talking about sales! And games move hardware. And we are not talking about whether the 360 has anything to "lose". We're not talking about the PS3's future. We're talking about you saying that the 360 has "by far the most promising holiday lineup". You are wrong.

Jonnyram said:

Yes but the same can be said about the PS3, we don't see an increase in hardware numbers except only during major game releases. None of those 360 games are major game releases. Even if they do increase 360 numbers it'll be minimal - not enough to beat the PS3. Little noise turning into a minor beep isn't exactly comforting. SMG and SSBB alone shits on everything the 360 and PS3 has for this holiday. So no the 360 does not have the best lineup.

Jonnyram

Grimmy said:
We're talking about you saying that the 360 has "by far the most promising holiday lineup". You are wrong.
:lol Don't make me go all Jarrod on you.

edit: BishopLamont, Wii isn't even in this conversation. You're stating the obvious.

Jonnyram said:
But GT5 is the only major title coming out for PS3 this year in Japan. If it doesn't sell big, it says a lot about the PS3's future.
WE2008? Musou 5? GT5P not selling big won't say anything new, it'll just say the same as Minna no Golf 5, Boku no Natsuyasumi 3, VF5, RR7, AC4...etc,etc.

Btw...

Famitsu
5. MGS Portable Ops+ 41,000 (130,000)
26.MPO+DX 9300(24000)

MC
10./02. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops+ - 25,000 / 119,000

154k vs 119k :/ :?

909er

Interesting on Halo 3. I'm not 100% sure, but didn't both Halo 1 and 2 do about half that number their launch week? Between this and Oblivion, I wonder if this means that the 360 in Japan has a viable western niche.

The 360 really intrigues me in Japan since the model is significantly different than the original Xbox. I don't recall the Xbox having as many software pop up in the charts as often as it's been happening for the 360 in it's year 2, and I'm pretty sure hardware sales were in 3 digit range. Even compared to last year, the 360 is doing noticebly better. Whereas the Xbox saw a big launch and then a quick slide into obscurity, it's successor had a small launch and increasingly larger sales. It'll be interesting to see where it will be in the next year, will it be doing better compared to this year?

Note that I'm not saying the 360 is doing good or anything, just that it's interesting to see it do better than it did last year, whereas the Xbox just kept sliding from bad to worse. While the software situation is by no means perfect, I feel that it is a considerable improvement to it's predecessor with a good number of possible 50,000+ titles still left from now to next year, and with the traditional type of games suffering from lack of PS3 releases and the Wii's new direction, is it possible for the 360 to grab a relatively sizable chunk of Japan (1 million ish)?

Grimmy

Banned
Jonnyram said:
:lol Don't make me go all Jarrod on you.

edit: BishopLamont, Wii isn't even in this conversation. You're stating the obvious.

Why me? Look at the responses above - no one is agreeing with you. Sorry!

icecream

Public Health Threat
The 360 does have a promising lineup. Just because it may not sell 100K per title does not diminish that.

The same holds for the PS3, on a lesser scale.

Jonnyram

Grimmy said:
Why me? Look at the responses above - no one is agreeing with you. Sorry!
OK LIST WARS RAWR!

Multi:
10/8 Bladestorm (PS3 version out previously)
11/8 NBA Live 08
11/8 GRAW 2 (360 version out previously)
11/22 Harry Potter
11/22 Winning Eleven 2008
11/22 Ratatouille
11/22 Medal of Honor Airborne (PS3 version 12/20)
11/29 Assassin's Creed (PS3 version in 2008)
11/29 Tony Hawk Project 8
11/?? Dynasty Warriors 6
12/6 Conan
12/6 Pirates of the Carribean
12/6 Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3 version out previously)
12/20 FIFA 08

PS3 exclusive:
10/11 The Godfather
*10/11 Lair
10/17 Spiderman 3
10/25 Imabikisou
*10/25 Eye of Judgment
11/1 Railfan
11/1 G-1 Jockey 4 2007
*11/11 Ratchet & Clank
*11/15 Heavenly Sword
*12/13 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
12/20 Time Crisis 4

360 exclusive:
10/11 Operation Darkness
*10/11 PGR4
10/18 Zoids Alternative
10/18 Beautiful Katamari Damacy
11/1 Ace Combat 6
11/8 Just Cause
11/8 Major League Baseball 2K7
11/22 Final Fantasy XI: Altana
11/29 Guilty Gear II Overture
11/29 Apocalypse Desire Next
*12/6 Lost Odyssey
12/6 Momotaro Dentetsu 16
12/6 Viva Pinata Let's Party
12/13 Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
12/13 Shikigami no Shiro III
12/13 Stuntman Ignition
12/13 Smash Court Tennis 3
12/13 Flat Out Ultimate Carnage

* for first party titles

909er

Jonnyram said:
OK LIST WARS RAWR!

Multi:
10/8 Bladestorm (PS3 version out previously)
11/8 NBA Live 08
11/8 GRAW 2 (360 version out previously)
11/22 Harry Potter
11/22 Winning Eleven 2008
11/22 Ratatouille
11/22 Medal of Honor Airborne (PS3 version 12/20)
11/29 Assassin's Creed (PS3 version in 2008)
11/29 Tony Hawk Project 8
11/?? Dynasty Warriors 6
12/6 Conan
12/6 Pirates of the Carribean
12/6 Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3 version out previously)
12/20 FIFA 08

PS3 exclusive:
10/11 The Godfather
*10/11 Lair
10/17 Spiderman 3
10/25 Imabikisou
*10/25 Eye of Judgment
11/1 Railfan
11/1 G-1 Jockey 4 2007
*11/11 Ratchet & Clank
*11/15 Heavenly Sword
*12/13 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
12/20 Time Crisis 4

360 exclusive:
10/11 Operation Darkness
*10/11 PGR4
10/18 Zoids Alternative
10/18 Beautiful Katamari Damacy
11/1 Ace Combat 6
11/8 Just Cause
11/8 Major League Baseball 2K7
11/22 Final Fantasy XI: Altana
11/29 Guilty Gear II Overture
11/29 Apocalypse Desire Next
*12/6 Lost Odyssey
12/6 Momotaro Dentetsu 16
12/6 Viva Pinata Let's Party
12/13 Shikigami no Shiro III
12/13 Stuntman Ignition
12/13 Smash Court Tennis 3
12/13 Flat Out Ultimate Carnage

* for first party titles

Wow, that exclusive list for the PS3 isn't looking too hot. Even from a sales standpoint, it doesn't seem like it could hold off against Lost Odyssey save GT5 Prologue.

Are most Japanese release still targeting the PS2, or has it moved to the Wii, or are they just in a lull right now or something?

Grimmy

Banned
Sigh.

It's not the list of exclusives that make a console sell hardware. It's a list of games that SELL that sell hardware.

Neither platforms have that, except for the multi-platforms, of which the PS3 versions will most likely sell more (unless it comes out after).

But both consoles will sell abysmally.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Jonnyram said:
OK LIST WARS RAWR!
12/13 Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom

Not to mention the Platinum Collection titles on 11/1 as well.
Grimmy said:
Sigh.

It's not the list of exclusives that make a console sell hardware. It's a list of games that SELL that sell hardware.
There are games on both sides that will sell some hardware. I think Jonnyram's point is the 360 has more of them for the holiday lineup.

Jonnyram

Grimmy said:
Sigh.

Neither platforms have that, except for the multi-platforms, of which the PS3 versions will most likely sell more (unless it comes out after).

Sorry, I believe we were talking about "most promising holiday lineup". Are you just changing the topic of conversation now, by any chance?

Xeke

Banned
Grimmy said:
Sigh.

Selling units has nothing to do with a promising holiday lineup.

Grimmy

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Sorry, I believe we were talking about "most promising holiday lineup". Are you just changing the topic of conversation now, by any chance?

This is a sales thread. What were you talking about? Lineup or sales?

Grimmy

Banned
Xeke said:
Selling units has nothing to do with a promising holiday lineup.

Then this is the wrong thread since this thread is about selling units. At least that what I thought since it says Sales in the title?

Jonnyram

Grimmy said:
This is a sales thread. What were you talking about? Lineup or sales?
Well since we don't know about the sales of games that aren't released yet, I'll let you take a guess. Note use of the word "promising".
And if you want me to talk sales specifically, I bet the total sales of those 360 games is more than the total sales of those PS3 games.

Grimmy

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Well since we don't know about the sales of games that aren't released yet, I'll let you take a guess. Note use of the word "promising".

I did that - a guess - and I already told you - none of that "library" will drive sales beyond the PS3's. The rest you can read up.

Grimmy

Banned
Aaron said:
I wonder who said this?

Ahem, look at the thread name. it says SALES. If Johnnyram didn't want to mention "promising lineup" as to how it alludes to sales, then why bother mentioning it?

Xeke

Banned
Grimmy said:
I did that a guess - and I already told you - none of that "library" will drive sales beyond the PS3's. The rest you can read up.

The 360 has the all around better, more rounded library and at this point is the much better choice for a Japanese gamer.

Grimmy

Banned
Xeke said:
The 360 has the all around better, more rounded library and at this point is the much better choice for a Japanese gamer.

It probably is a better choice, but that doesn't mean they will make a 'right" choice.

Prine

Banned
MS can do some amazing PR with this data. 'Halo 3 tops Japan' etc :lol

When i play multi i see quite a few lights on Halo3 gamers map around japan.

Frillen

Pokeylongo said:
Whoa! Talk about a bomb!

Yeah, it's very surprising. Western games usually sell really well in Japan.

/end of Sarcasm/

Also, I miss Cheesemeister. The so-called fillers can't even translate the whole top 30.

Ikael

Jesus fucking christ people. Maybe you are stretching the definition of "few" a little too much here...
Final Fantasy XI. - It is a final fantasy. They always sell well.
Animal Crossing DS. - Nintendo first party game on their console. They always sell.
Mario Kart DS. - The same.
Tetris DS. - It is a puzzle non game on the DS. They always and forever sell, period, not to mention that it was published by Nintendo.
Phantasy Star Online. - It has "star" on the title. Japanese will buy anything with such a name.
Phantasy Star Universe. - See above
Monster Hunter Frontier. -Er... it is like pokemon. But matoor. So it is bound to sell, regardless.

HELLOOOO!?

I applied here all my knowdegle about how third party games will never, ever sell on any Nintendo system, which is also useful to justify why online games never, ever sell within the Japanese. Spywolf would be proud.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
bcn-ron said:
You're assuming the machines are all still working.

We also assume that 20 million PS2s and 20 million DSs mean 20 million owners of each, when in reality I have 3 DSs and 2 PS2s.

Parl

This is as good a time as any to restate that 360's remaining lineup will give it a decent Nov/Dec and up the system's mindshare, year-on-year, so that 2008 could well be a noteable increase on 2007 and will help 360 reach 1 million units by the end of 2008.

Take note that 360's performance this year is much better than in 2006, which is unusual for a failing console as they generally lose support. The difference with 360 is that it's successful in other regions (US, UK) and is currently receiving the best support for western-oriented games. Some people, albeit a small niche, in Japan are more compelled by western-oriented titles than Japanese titles, and others are into videogames from all over the globe. 360 is now in a position where it receives better increases in sales alongside more Japanese-oriented releases, ie, Blue Dragon and Lost Oddyssy.

Wow, I thought for sure MySims would find an audience over there. Guess we know the Japanese really want high-def FPSs and western-style RPGs now.

Top Bottom