• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 9/3 - 9/9 2007

botticus

Grecco said:
The increased number of Wiis sold last month (and probably this month) had to come out of somewhere.
But that's not the cause of the lower sales in Japan.

I do find it odd that the Wii is still increasing in sales/selling out in the US while it's starting to slow in Japan. Obviously Metroid will be the reason for higher sales this month, but I don't see how Strikers could be pointed to as the cause of the Wii outselling the DS last month. Unless Wii owners just love Mario sports games and it gives a bump to hardware in Japan as well.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Grecco said:
The increased number of Wiis sold last month (and probably this month) had to come out of somewhere.

Well even if Nintendo is sending some wiis from Japan to the US, that's not why the sales are low. Heck, let's say they're sending an assload of Wiis from japan. I think that would make it even more telling that you can walk into stores and easily find them with the said assload taken out of circulation.

I think if they are diverting circulation (I don't know if there's proof either way available to us right now), it's more likely cause and effect are switched. The wiis are being diverted because the sales are low.

The Sphinx said:
PSP fell just as much as the others. If you're saying it's going to go up NEXT week I'd say you're probably right AND that it's a discussion we should be having next week.

I'm saying it's going up NOW. The sales figures will be shown next week.

gn.jpg

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Grecco said:

They probably did divert some supply from Japan, but that isn't causing the drop- its clear the Wii is widely available.

schuelma

botticus said:
But that's not the cause of the lower sales in Japan.

I do find it odd that the Wii is still increasing in sales/selling out in the US while it's starting to slow in Japan.
Obviously Metroid will be the reason for higher sales this month, but I don't see how Strikers could be pointed to as the cause of the Wii outselling the DS last month. Unless Wii owners just love Mario sports games and it gives a bump to hardware in Japan as well.

Honestly, I think the U.S is more captivated by Wii Sports than the Japanese are. We're a bunch of sports crazed neanderthals.

birdchili

schuelma said:
its clear the Wii is widely available.

this is the first time since launch when you could actually read something about the actual demand for wii in japan (other than the somewhat not-useful demand>supply).

interesting that for all the talk of the changing game market in japan and how the wii/ds are targetting the new demographic, that it's still north america where the supply hasn't caught up.

schuelma said:
Honestly, I think the U.S is more captivated by Wii Sports than the Japanese are. We're a bunch of sports crazed neanderthals.

Nintendo also has to serve a larger population in the US. It really was a bright move on their part if they did divert supplies to other markets, but an even better move would've been to make sure the system got consistent support to begin with.

Their first party stuff is going to put them back into supply-constrained territory for awhile past new years, but they absolutely must procure more than just niche software and side projects from third party developers. For the moment, the machine is nothing but an underutilized, pretty emulation box.

Fire Emblem, please rescue me.

botticus said:
I do find it odd that the Wii is still increasing in sales/selling out in the US while it's starting to slow in Japan.
This is only happening in the last few weeks. If we only had Japanese numbers to as recently as we have US numbers, we would still be seeing 60+K each week.

Also, just talking about increases/decreases between Japan/America is a bit like saying PS3 is up while Wii is down; it doesn't take into account where they were relatively to begin with. 40K/week in Japan is about the same per capita as 400K/month (4 week month) in the US.

Brak

BigGreenMat said:
Nintendo needs some damn GAMES!!!
Not really. Nintendo may actually be able to stock shelves for the holiday season now that sales are only pretty high and not ridiculously high.

And any talk of price cut is just asinine.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Dragona Akehi said:
Nintendo is backed to being doomed again I see.

Oh well, it was a nice run right?

Doomed until the release of Super Mario Galaxy at least. :lol

CTLance

Izzy said:
Interesting first day sales info for Crisis Core, Fate and Pokemon here - http://ameblo.jp/get6-2
God I love Babelfish, it's making about as much sense as sporsk did when BangaiOh DS was revealed. :lol

babelfish said:
Also the half million has been visible at first week depending upon the additional shipment & the extension of weekend. As a movement of sale first day because it enters into the type of explosion after a long time, you have expected to the movement of weekend rather.

First week sales possibly up to 500k? The admittedly shoddy machine translation makes this look rather like a prediction (sales might be high, because ...) - doesn't sound like there are definite numbers anywhere...

birdchili

Dragona Akehi said:
Nintendo is backed to being doomed again I see.

Oh well, it was a nice run right?
if only they would have had some games. or some hd graphics. or a controller you could use in front of other people without... moving so much.

"a nice run" is being pretty charitable, really. hopefully they make something that people actually *want* next time... assuming there even is a next time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GreenGlowingGoo said:
Fourth is that the DS is actually feeling the summer slump. It's like when a kid finds out her parents are ordinary people. (Though this is somewhat different cause the DS's big drop is probably going to be to 80k...)

It's closer to people figuring out that Superman is allergic to kryptonite.

d+pad

birdchili said:
if only they would have had some games. or some hd graphics. or a controller you could use in front of other people without... moving so much.

"a nice run" is being pretty charitable, really. hopefully they make something that people actually *want* next time... assuming there even is a next time.

Good one! :lol

birdchili said:

Problem is those pesky Nintendo fanboys: after they hogged all the Wiis, it's clear that it's simply appealing to them. 20m WW is it folks.

Jiggy

BigGreenMat said:
Nintendo needs some damn GAMES!!!
See, the crazy thing is that this is true--but it's also true they've had only sporadic games for the past nine or more months too, so it can't explain the sales slump. Guess I'll run with others' "school is back in" theory.

Parl

Dragona Akehi said:
Problem is those pesky Nintendo fanboys: after they hogged all the Wiis, it's clear that it's simply appealing to them. 20m WW is it folks.

How can it be anything else? DS Lite only has a few million more to pass GBA, too. (All DS Tanks are in closets).

And how long is it until PS3 sells to all Saturn gamers?

Parl

Moor-Angol said:
Actually the best Saturn game (VF2) sold as much as the top10 PS3 games...

Well, that because not all Saturn gamers have upgraded to a PS3 yet. And it's because VF2 rocks... it rocks much harder than VF5, which is why Saturn gamers shook their head at VF5 and held their ground. Buuuuut, several weeks ago, more VF6 media was shown, and they were impressed, so PS3 sales boosted up out of the sub-10k mark.

31./33. [NDS] Face Training DS (Nintendo)
32./30. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond (Pokémon)
33./43. [NDS] Common Knowledge Training (Nintendo)
34./36. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
35./28. [PSP] Dragoneer's Aria (Nippon Ichi Software)
36./32. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 14 (Konami)
37./37. [NDS] Pokémon Pearl (Pokémon)
38./00. [PS2] God of War (Capcom)
39./03. [PS2] Gintama: Together with Gin-san! My Kabuki-cho Diary (Bandai-Namco)
40./42. [PSP] Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (Capcom)
41./34. [PS2] Final Fantasy XII: International Edition (Square-Enix)
42./35. [WII] Endless Ocean (Nintendo)
43./40. [NDS] It's a Wonderful World (Square-Enix)
44./00. [PSP] Rezel Cross (Sony)
45./46. [NDS] TOEIC Test Training DS (IE Institute)
46./38. [WII] Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square-Enix)
47./39. [NDS] Naruto Shippuuden: Strongest Ninjas Unite 5: Decisive Battle at Dawn (Takara-Tomy)
48./00. [NDS] Detailed Japanese History B Total Training (Bandai-Namco)
49./00. [PS2] Sengoku Musou 2 (Koei)
50./00. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5)

NDS - 28
PS2 - 11
WII - 5
PSP - 4
PS3 - 2

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -    77,488 |    94,339 | 5,267,004 | 19,272,683
2. WII   -    29,088 |    39,371 | 2,619,238 |  3,538,881
3. PSP   -    15,564 |    22,196 | 1,385,230 |  5,917,359
4. PS2   -    13,360 |    14,280 |   559,434 | 20,714,293
5. PS3   -    13,248 |    18,068 |   675,170 |  1,132,728
6. 360   -     1,286 |     1,635 |   142,644 |    407,346
7. GBA   -       550 |       474 |    46,320 | 15,344,399
8. NGC   -        82 |        73 |     9,547 |  4,179,015
GBA = 0 GBA + 122 SP + 428 Micro
NDS = 0 DS + 77,488 Lite

s_20070903.png

schuelma

Holy crap at Wii. When will it level off?

Edit- substantial drop for PS3 as well.

Culex

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
This is definitely a new low for the wii.

Should the warning lights start sounding?

Going by the trend, next week's sales will be as follows:

Wii - 19k
PS3 - 6.5k

Omnicent

Wow!

Everything dropped in sells. I kind of rushed my math, but it looks like the PS3 and Wii dropped about 26% from last week, 360 by about 22% and DSL about 18% (don't see what the doom and gloom is all about. Everything dropped rather closely)

schuelma

On a different note, when was the last time DS was this low?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Omnicent said:
Wow! Everything dropped in sells (I'd write it all out, but ps3 and wii dropped about 26% and 360 by about 22%.... don't see what the doom and gloom is all about. Everything dropped rather closely.)

Yeah, that is why everyone should sell their consoles, there is no more HOPE!!!!

OMG!!!

RevoDS

Holy fucking shit, this must be the slowest week in ages...I mean, PSP at PS2/3 levels, Wii under 30k, DS under 75...

When was the last time overall sales went this low?

Link1110

Omnicent said:
Wow!

Everything dropped in sells. I kind of rushed my math, but it looks like the PS3 and Wii dropped about 26% from last week, 360 by about 22% and DSL about 18% (don't see what the doom and gloom is all about. Everything dropped rather closely)
Slow time of the year. CC releasing now is a work of marketing genius. PSP will probably outsell DS next week (Not evcn MH2 managed that,) and that will look really good sales-wise.

After CC, what are the next major releases on ds/psp?

Top Bottom