• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 24-30, 2009

apujanata

donny2112 said:
08./00. [NDS] You'll Incur Losses if You Remain Ignorant: How Money and Things Work DS (Nintendo) - 21,000 / NEW

Anyone think that this game will break 500K, or even 1 Million ?
I believe that the chance are quite good for it to reach 500K, and slim (not zero) for it to reach 1 Million. For those who said IMPOSSIBLE, I would remind you of the king of legs : Brain Age.
Brain Age First week : 44,166
Brain Age LTD : 3.5 Million +

I am going to buy this game if it is released in US, for my sons. Financial lesson game are very important.

AniHawk said:
Is that the longest title for a game or what?
I looked for really long titles on Garaph using dozens of single-character wildcards as a minimum length. Weeding out ones with dual language titles listed in parentheses or multiple editions listed together, here are the longest I've got. Still pretty full of machine translated Engrish, though.

SIMPLE2000 Series Vol. 1 THE table games ~ Mahjong Go chess card flower cards reversi five eyes to you all
Simple 2000 Series Ultimate Vol. 13: mania sprint! King motorcycle to Doo beauty! separation separation to legend
Kanshuu Nippon Joushikiryoku Kentei Kyoukai: Imasara Hito ni wa Kikenai Otona no Joushikiryoku Training DS
Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Koushiki Soft: 200 Mannin no KanKen: Tokoton Kanji Nou
Victory pachinko Pachislot Conquer Series Vol. 10 CR Neon Genesis Evangelion to the miracle of value
DS Nishimura Kyotarou Suspense Detective Series 2: Kanazawa, Hakodate - Extreme Cold, Shadow of Vengeance
sphinx said:
The way I see it, particularly on the software front, the Wii is just an "o.k." thing. It not a PS360 fiasco but it's no PS2 or DS, so why they decided to put it on Wii is anyone'e guess.
Well, it's probably not hitting until 2011 or 2012. They probably didn't want to risk releasing a DS game at a time when it might be like releasing Dragon Quest IX on PS2 this year.

But yeah, the only chance it has to not be a step down from DQ IX saleswise is if we both bring in international markets and conjecture that a new console DQ will do significantly better than a new portable DQ will there.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:
I looked for really long titles on Garaph using dozens of single-character wildcards as a minimum length.

NO! NO! BAD SQL!

Don't force it to use regexes and do heavy lifting, take advantage of the fact that the row ALREADY stores the length of the title field:

SELECT game_id_field,title,LENGTH(title) AS lenVar FROM mah_gaem_list ORDER BY lenVar DESC LIMIT 0,20;

!!!!! Don't let it happen again!

Here's a link to that query ran on your database.

:lol Well and good, but I wasn't bothering with SQL. Using the Game Search looking for titles like __________________________________________________________________________________________% is good fun!

apujanata

Stumpokapow said:
NO! NO! BAD SQL!

Don't force it to use regexes and do heavy lifting, take advantage of the fact that the row ALREADY stores the length of the title field:

SELECT game_id_field,title,LENGTH(title) AS lenVar FROM mah_gaem_list ORDER BY lenVar DESC LIMIT 0,20;

!!!!! Don't let it happen again!

Here's a link to that query ran on your database.

Are you a database administrator or programmer IRL ? It has been ages since I last saw a select statement. :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DSi 59,881
PSP 26,081
Wii 25,038
DS Lite 7,304
Xbox 360 7,254
PS2 3,179
PS3 1,040

test_account

XP-39C²
Thanks for posting the Media Create hardware numbers :)

schuelma said:
PS3 1,040
That is almost exactly the same number that the Xbox 360 sold about 1 year ago before the Xbox 360 got a price drop, then the Xbox 360 sold 1,044 units (Media Create numbers).

I find it a bit interesting the difference between the Famitsu and the PS3 hardware numbers this week. Famitsu has the PS3 at 2100 units sold, and that is about twice as much than the Media Create numbers. The numbers are pretty low on both trackers though, so i dont think that it really matter that much, but i find the difference a bit interesting at least because it makes me wonder which tracker that reported the most accurate PS3 numbers this week now that the numbers are so low.

I also think that it is a bit "cool" (or what i shall say) that the PS3 numbers are so low this week, because that means that the percentage increase next week will be higher :) If Media Create reports like 80k PS3 sold next week, then that is an increase of about 8,000% (unless my mathematic skills are really bad). Is that the highest percentage increase ever regarding hardware sales in Japan?

Fio

08./00. [NDS] You'll Incur Losses if You Remain Ignorant: How Money and Things Work DS (Nintendo)

I laughed. A lot.

AniHawk said:
Is that PS3 number the lowest any of the three systems has done in a week so far this gen?

I'm sure the 360 has done worse at some point. I think it was under 1000 consistently for a month.

Jonnyram

AniHawk said:
I'd really love a remake of FFVII on the DS.
I'd love it too, though I'd hope they add something to it to give it longevity like DQIX. I mean, I pretty much 100%'d it in 150 hrs.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Jonnyram said:
Hmm, seems they are gonna put some new DQIX TV ads on air.
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1227262_1124.html

Looks like 5 million is now a given, and we might even be looking at 6 million LTD.
I was and remain very optimistic about DQ IX sales, but 6 million?

31. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.)
32. [PSP] Armored Core 3 Portable (From Software)
33. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV(PlayStation 3 the Best) (Capcom)
34. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai)
35. [NDS New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
36. [360] F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin (CyberFront)
37. [PSP] My Summer Vacation 4: Youth Detective Group in Seto - Me and the Secret Map (SCE)
38. [360] Memories Off 6: Next Relation (5pb.)
39. [NDS] Rhythm Heaven: Tap into the Rhythm (Nintendo)
40. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 6 (Konami)
41. [NDS] Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (Nintendo)
42. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS: The 7 Island Adventure (Namco) Bandai
43. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Sega)
44. [NDS] Gokujou!! Mecha Mote Iinchou: Girls Motekawa Box (Konami)
44. [NDS] TOEIC Official Test Training DS (IE Institute)
46. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
47. [WII] EA Sports Active: Personal Trainer (Electronic Arts Victor)
48. [PS2] Hisshou Pachinko Pachislot Kouryoku Series Vol. 14: CR Neon Genesis Evangelion - Saigo no Mono (D3 Publisher)
49. [PS3] Red Faction: Guerrilla (Spike)
50. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble X: Future Hyper Explosion!! (Takara Tomy)
__. [ALL] Total Software Sales - 848.940 / 38.586.695

sphinx

the piano man
Jonnyram said:
Hmm, seems they are gonna put some new DQIX TV ads on air.
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1227262_1124.html

Looks like 5 million is now a given, and we might even be looking at 6 million LTD.

what is the occasion? Is there a reason why it will receive another marketing push after it sold what it had to sell?

DQ9 on DS was a VERY smart move.

when all is said and done, the newest mainline DQ game will have sold 5 million and the newest FF will have sold.. what, 1.5 million, being generous? bizarre

Jonnyram

sphinx said:
what is the occasion? Is there a reason why it will receive another marketing push after it sold what it had to sell?
I would assume they are just trying to push awareness so that Pokemon doesn't totally destroy it. I think the focus of the ads is the download/wireless stuff? Not sure.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
There is always the possibility that Pokemon HG / SS will help the sales of DQIX and other AAA DS games if it manages to bring retired gamers back to gaming. The famitsu review (I know, famitsu...) was extremely positive about the Pokemon remake and from what I have seen it's one step above from the Red / Green remake. So maybe it will the effect New Super Mario Bros. had when it came out and help hardware and software sales of the system raise.

sphinx

the piano man
Chris1964 said:
There is always the possibility that Pokemon HG / SS will help the sales of DQIX and other AAA DS games if it manages to bring retired gamers back to gaming. The famitsu review (I know, famitsu...) was extremely positive about the Pokemon remake and from what I have seen it's one step above from the Red / Green remake. So maybe it will the effect New Super Mario Bros. had when it came out and help hardware and software sales of the system raise.

:lol like the DS needed any more help to sell hardware.

It's sad and curious at the same time how of all five current gen platforms, only the DS is a success on all accounts.

GCX

I don't think we'll see any major hardware bumb because of Soul Silver and Heart Gold since I'd quess Pearl+Diamond+Platinum already got all the Pokemon fans on board. But yeah, DS doesn't really even need anymore bumbs since it's so far ahead anything ever released.

GCX

bttb said:
[WII] Little King's Story (Ousama Monogatari) (Marvelous Entertainment) - 5.9k
Poor Marvelous. :(

bttb said:
[WII] Tabemon (Bandai Namco) - Uncountable
This must've been flying off the shelves since Famitsu can't even count all the copies sold. :eek:

Dalthien

JoshuaJSlone said:
It will, but even if it has its best week ever about half of it will go to making up lost ground.
Seriously, this has to go down as the perfect example of how not to execute a transition to a new hardware revision. Even if the Slim itself winds up doing fabulously well, it still won't excuse just how brutal the transition has been this past month.

Tenbatsu

ousama13.jpg

Should be called "How to kick America when they are down" =X

Japanese people only stick to brands they know. They are too chicken shit to try new things. I feel sorry for Marvelous & Suda...there games are so awesome but they always bomb. Wouldn't be surprised if LKS sold more in US & Europe...though it is based off of western ideals of monarchies...but even Muramasa...a very Japanese game bombed. :/

sphinx

the piano man
Chris1964 said:
So I guess you think that pokemon won't help ds hardware raise

oh, no I didn't mean that. It's just that DS sells by itself by now.

You think the DS will go over 100k when the new pokemon arrives?

I can't think of a pokemon fan who does not have already a DS at hand right now.

Unless the next pokemon game is DSi exclusive/enhanced I am not sure how it can move any hardware, above what it usually does.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
GCX said:
I don't think we'll see any major hardware bumb because of Soul Silver and Heart Gold since I'd quess Pearl+Diamond+Platinum already got all the Pokemon fans on board. But yeah, DS doesn't really even need anymore bumbs since it's so far ahead anything ever released.
Many posters said the same thing about DQ IX. "Every DQ fan is already on board after so many DQ games on DS. No major hardware bump is expected." 8 weeks after DQ IX DS has sold 720.885 units when 14 weeks before it DS had sold 702.545 units. It has almost doubled its weekly average sales (it has of course big help from Tomodatchi Collection) and there wasn't any limited edition, just a new color. As long as new high profile games come out for DS the hardware bump is inevitable, needed or not. That's what the past has shown and I don't see any reason the situation changes. DS is phenomenon in Japanese gaming history and the attempt to try to find its future sales pattern based on previous succesful consoles will fail. And yes I think DS will go close to 100k when the pokemon arrives since like I have said again I'm very optimistic about this game.

Seeing these first day sales I'm disappointed on the PS3 side. It seems the slim did nothing to help software sales. These are the numbers I would expect every other week before its launch. Either it sells to existing PS3 users or we must have overestimated (at least most of us) PS3 slim first week sales.

GCX

Chris1964 said:
Many posters said the same thing about DQ IX. "Every DQ fan is already on board after so many DQ games on DS. No major hardware bumb is expected."
There's a difference between the Dragon Quest and Pokemon situations. DQ4 and 5 both sold 1+ million copies which isn't too shabby but the new mainline DQ games sell 3+ million copies so it was obvious there would be at least some kind of hardware bumb. There's hadn't been a new mainline DQ before IX on the DS, just remakes and spin-offs.

With Pokemon though, Pearl+Diamond+Platinum have sold god-knows-how-many million copies so most of the fanbase clearly already are on the DS. There probably will be some kind of bumb but I don't expect anything too big.

Aru

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (09/03)

[PS3] Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki (Bandai Namco) - 104k
[NDS] Love Plus (Konami) - 22k
[NDS] Sloane to MacHale no Nazo no Monogatari 2 (Level 5) - 11k
[PS3] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Spike) - 9.2k
[PSP] Samurai Dou 2 Portable (Spike) - 5.4k

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10335407750.html

Is this week the official bomba week ? :/

Seeing these first day sales I'm disappointed on the PS3 side. It seems the slim did nothing to help software sales. These are the numbers I would expect every other week before its launch. Either it sells to existing PS3 users or we must have overestimated (at least most of us) PS3 slim first week sales.

What software sales? I think Gundam did okay (heck, I'm surprised people in Japan still buy Gundam games), and 428 seems pretty niche. Software pushes hardware, not the other way around. Sure, if your install base is twice as big, most software you release will get a bump, but a one-week spike in hardware doesn't really do much for software sales.

onken

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (09/03)

[PS3] Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki (Bandai Namco) - 104k
[NDS] Love Plus (Konami) - 22k
[NDS] Sloane to MacHale no Nazo no Monogatari 2 (Level 5) - 11k
[PS3] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Spike) - 9.2k
[PSP] Samurai Dou 2 Portable (Spike) - 5.4k

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10335407750.html

Bomb-tacular. Gundam number is pretty much par for the course, other Gundam first day numbers for comparison:

Nov 06 Gundam Target in Sight 30k (first week)
Mar 07 Gundam Musou 117k
Dec 08 Gundam Musou 2 106k
Sep 09 Gundam Senki 104k

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
GCX said:
There's a difference between the Dragon Quest and Pokemon situations. DQ4 and 5 both sold 1+ million copies which isn't too shabby but the new mainline DQ games sell 3+ million copies so it was obvious there would be at least some kind of hardware bumb. There's hadn't been a new mainline DQ before IX on the DS, just remakes and spin-offs.

With Pokemon though, Pearl+Diamond+Platinum have sold god-knows-how-many million copies so most of the fanbase clearly already are on the DS. There probably will be some kind of bumb but I don't expect anything too big.
I understand what you say and I would agree with you if I hadn't set so high the bar for Pokemon HG / SS. In two weeks we will know if I'm right or wrong.

Top Bottom