• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 24-30, 2009

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Since I usually snag game titles from donny2112's list, if he hasn't made his Famitsu post

I'm not sure if you noticed, but Famitsu now updates their weekly numbers on Wednesday evening in the U.S. Therefore the weekly Famitsu post is made at the end of the MC thread for the same week, now. I wasn't sure if you had thought I just stopped posting it, though.

onken said:
Yeah m-create include bundles,

Famitsu and Media Create include bundles. I'm not sure why the first-day numbers wouldn't, since they're from Famitsu. Famitsu does track both separately internally, so maybe sinobi decided to just post that number.

test_account said:
Wow, is there still possible to buy new PS3 consoles with PS3 BC in Japan (eventhough that they are hard to find)?
This makes me think: What ever happened to Old Faithful? I see I have written down a note that it was eventually sold, but then sold back to the store. :lol That was two years ago, though.
donny2112 said:
I'm not sure if you noticed, but Famitsu now updates their weekly numbers on Wednesday evening in the U.S. Therefore the weekly Famitsu post is made at the end of the MC thread for the same week, now. I wasn't sure if you had thought I just stopped posting it, though.
Ahh, didn't realize they finally got around to that. I think I saw your post in the other thread but thought it an aberration and forgot about it by the next night.

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
This makes me think: What ever happened to Old Faithful? I see I have written down a note that it was eventually sold, but then sold back to the store. :lol That was two years ago, though.
Haha ye, i had completely gotten about Old Faithful :) I wonder what happend to it indeed. Ye, now that you mention it, i think that it was indeed sold and the sold back to the store as you say hehe. How long was Old Faithful actually sitting on that shelf/table in the store?

test_account said:
Haha ye, i had completely gotten about Old Faithful :) I wonder what happend to it indeed. Ye, now that you mention it, i think that it was indeed sold and the sold back to the store as you say hehe. How long was Old Faithful actually sitting on that shelf/table in the store?
My note on it was from November 2007. Without searching for old posts, must've been over half a year before it sold the first time.

donny2112 said:
Famitsu and Media Create include bundles.
But is this always true for both? Because the Famitsu data for the beginning of this year (first week here) show no entry for GT5P III, which was being bundled at the time. Media Create, however, does show it (at position 7, 11, 11, 13, etc. with absolute numbers that should've appeared in Famitsu).

I definitely recall sinobi posting numbers that do include bundles (frequently breaking down the split), but if perhaps Famitsu isn't consistent about it, maybe he isn't either?

I do think he's including bundles here, though. As Kurosaki Ichigo said, this number is high for a Target in Sight follow-up.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Both Media Create and Famitsu include bundles at their reports. The problem with GT5P was that media create overtracked it.

Busaiku

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
[PS3] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Spike) - 9.2k
Sinobi compares it with Imabikisou and 428:
PS3 Imabikisou - 16k
WII Imabikisou - 2k
WII 428 - 27k
428 on PS3 has done better than the Wii port of Imabikisou, and there's two things to note. Its from a lesser publisher (Spike instead of Sega) and there's a PSP port coming in two weeks.
I think the PS3 release also benefits from the fact that Cannan (which is based off of a scenario that's on 428) is currently airing (I believe).

donny2112

Liabe Brave said:
Because the Famitsu data for the beginning of this year (first week here) show no entry for GT5P III, which was being bundled at the time.

It was #23 with 41K for the week. It was #11 the following week with 60K before dropping off the face of the earth running out of bundles. It sold < 5K over the next two weeks combined.

Liabe Brave said:
I do think he's including bundles here, though. As Kurosaki Ichigo said, this number is high for a Target in Sight follow-up.

I would've assumed that bundles were included, too, but it was Jonnyram who said they weren't. Since he can read Japanese just fine, I'm assuming that he looked at the sinobi (or 2ch) entry directly and read that it didn't include bundles.

Jonnyram

Bundles are included in the weekly charts, but not the first day.
I guess it's just beyond the scope of their early estimates.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Some times they include the number of bundles at first day sales but they usually report if the bundles are counted at the estimated number.
I just looked amazon.jp and the price of Sin and Punishment 2 is 6.800 yen. Very high price for a Nintendo Wii game in Japan, even if it is outsourced. Unless it has a big advertising campaign (yeah right...) the future doesn't seem bright for it.

jrricky

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:

Ahh, didn't realize they finally got around to that. I think I saw your post in the other thread but thought it an aberration and forgot about it by the next night.

JoshuaJSlone said:
My note on it was from November 2007. Without searching for old posts, must've been over half a year before it sold the first time.
Your avatar(s): o_O

donny2112 said:
It was #23 with 41K for the week. It was #11 the following week with 60K before dropping off the face of the earth running out of bundles. It sold < 5K over the next two weeks combined.
Thanks to you and Chris1964 for clearing that up, and to Jonnyram for the info about bundles not being included. That's a pretty good number for Gundam Senki, then, even if we assume modest bundle sales; just 13k would make it the best-selling Gundam PS3 game yet, and similar legs to the Musou versions might end up with it in the top 10 PS3 games period.

wrowa

Busaiku said:
I think the PS3 release also benefits from the fact that Cannan (which is based off of a scenario that's on 428) is currently airing (I believe).
If it benefits from the anime I would expect sales that are higher than a third of what the Wii version did on day one :p Or otherwise the port would've been a complete flop.

Chris1964 said:
I just looked amazon.jp and the price of Sin and Punishment 2 is 6.800 yen. Very high price for a Nintendo Wii game in Japan, even if it is outsourced. Unless it has a big advertising campaign (yeah right...) the future doesn't seem bright for it.
Sadly I think that it will sell similarly to Another Code R and Tact of Magic. It would completely surprise me if S&P2 breaks the 10k mark.

donny2112

wrowa said:
It would completely surprise me if S&P2 breaks the 10k mark.

The N64 game started out at 22.5K and had a LTD of 38K after five weeks. I think this one will have a better LTD but maybe a lower first week.

Vinnk

Old faithful sold pretty quick after the BC models were discontinued. I think the store owner sold it on yahoo auctions for a fairly nice profit. After that he got a 40 gb white one that stayed for about 2 months. A several used PS3s have come and gone since then but he no longer stocks new units.

Despite the hype he decided not to stock the slim at all.

I am still kicking myself for not buying old reliable. When I finally did buy a PS3 I could only get an 80gb with no BC. The 60 and 20gb models were going for hundreds more at the time (they have since dropped a bit but are still expensive).

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
Wow, that is a pretty long time on the shelf/table indeed :) Thanks for the answer :)

By the way, i just got curious about something, when Old Faithful was sold back to the store again, was it sure/confirmed that it was the exact same PS3 console that was sold back? If yes, how did they know that it was the same PS3?

jrricky said:
Your avatar(s): o_O
What is it about them (other than that they look cool)? :) Or is that what you ment, that they look cool? I just got curious, so i had to ask :)

Vinnk said:
Old faithful sold pretty quick after the BC models were discontinued. I think the store owner sold it on yahoo auctions for a fairly nice profit. After that he got a 40 gb white one that stayed for about 2 months. A several used PS3s have come and gone since then but he no longer stocks new units.

Despite the hype he decided not to stock the slim at all.

I am still kicking myself for not buying old reliable. When I finally did buy a PS3 I could only get an 80gb with no BC. The 60 and 20gb models were going for hundreds more at the time (they have since dropped a bit but are still expensive).
Ah ok, cool to hear that Old Faithful was sold at last, and maybe with a nice profit as well as you said :) Thanks for the info about what happend to Old Faithful! :)

onken

Might as well post it in here too:

National sales figures for the opening week of the PS3 Slim have been announced by Enterbrain. Sales were 150,252 units from launch (Sep 3rd) to Sep 6th. This makes it the highest weekly sales since the PS3 launch in Nov 06. Sales for the week of Aug 31st - Sep 6th were reported to be 150,832, this number includes the previous model [lol 580 fats sold in the first half of the week]. This brings the total national sales figures from launch to 3,431,964 (up to Sep 6th). All data provided by Enterbrain.

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1227309_1124.html

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Only Curosaki Ichigo predicted this number. This is by far the best week PS3 ever had.

Comparison between the two best weeks of PS3 according to famitsu:

31/08/09-06/09/09: 150.832 (PS3 slim launch)
06/11/06-12/11/06: 88.443 (PS3 launch)
+70,54% from previous best week

Comparison between the two last weeks of PS3 according to famitsu:

24/08/09-30/08/09: 2.093
31/08/09-06/09/09: 150.832
+7.206,50% (!) from last week

It seems sales took off during weekend.

test_account

XP-39C²
onken said:
Wow, that is like twice as many PS3 sold that i thought it would be. I thought that it would be around 70k-80k or something. Thanks for posting this! :)

I wonder what was the biggest factor for the sale increase, the PS3 Slim or the pricedrop, or both combined.

Chris1964 said:

That is a huge percentage increase indeed. If Media Create also has the PS3 at around 150k sold this week, then the percentage increase should be around 14,000% or 15,000% :)

Chris1964 said:
Was it reported how much the PS3 sold before the weekend?

Hypereides

Gold Member
Im pleasently surprised that this actually shot past their original PS3 launch. Sounds like they had to get rid of some 'old weed' before they finally started to realise they were doing something wrong.

Nevertheless, looks like Sony saw the situation realistically and responded. The PS brand isnt all out of fire yet it seems.

onken

Yeah I didn't think it would do this much without a big piece of software to go with it, apparently Gundam Senki was enough.

What were PS3 sales for the week of MGS4?

test_account said:
Was it reported how much the PS3 sold before the weekend?

Nah, but there was a few photos going around showing empty lines etc. I guess it serves as a reminder than anecdotal evidence is utterly worthless.

test_account

XP-39C²
By the way, assuming that the Wii hardware is the sale this week compared to last week (about 26k), how does the YTD between the PS3 and the Wii look now factoring in the 150k PS3 sold?

onken said:
Yeah I didn't think it would do this much without a big piece of software to go with it, apparently Gundam Senki was enough.

Around 70k-80k i think.

EDIT: To be more exact, 77,208 PS3 sold when MGS4 was launched (Famitsu numbers), 75,311 PS3 sold when MGS4 was launched (Media Create Numbers).

EDIT 2: I see now that Loudninja already posted the exact PS3 hardware number from the week when MGS4 was launched :)

test_account

XP-39C²
onken said:
Nah, but there was a few photos going around showing empty lines etc. I guess it serves as a reminder than anecdotal evidence is utterly worthless.
Ah yes, i forgot about the launch pictures. Some of those pictures had relatively short lines ye, but as you say, it was only anecdotal evidence, that is true :)

Loudninja

onken said:

I think it release on a bad day if you were looking for long lines ;)

test_account said:
By the way, assuming that the Wii hardware is the sale this week compared to last week (about 26k), how does the YTD between the PS3 and the Wii look now factoring in the 150k PS3 sold?

Around 70k-80k i think.

EDIT: To be more exact, 77,208 PS3 sold when MGS4 was launched (Famitsu numbers), 75,311 PS3 sold when MGS4 was launched (Media Create Numbers).

EDIT 2: I see now that Loudninja already posted the exact PS3 hardware number from the week when MGS4 was launched :)

Both numbers are right anyway :)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
test_account said:
It's too early for direct comparisons between Wii and PS3. We have exact numbers only from m-create for the LTD up to the previous week.
WII: 956.322
PS3: 652.481
Difference: 303.841

So if we assume that PS3 sold 150.000 and Wii 25.000 this week the difference is 180.000. It's still a pretty big difference and there only 17 weeks remaining for this year. Let's wait to see first the 2-3 following weeks and what the PS3 sales will be.

GhaleonQ

I'm here with the belated "ouch" for Little King's Story. I'm glad to see Vanpool did well with Tingle's Ballon Trip, though. Congratulations to them.

test_account

XP-39C²
Loudninja said:
Both numbers are right anyway :)
Ye, that is true :) I was a bit late with my edit and i after i had edited my post i saw that you had already answered :)

Chris1964 said:
It's too early for direct comparisons between Wii and PS3. We have exact numbers only from m-create for the LTD up to the previous week.
WII: 956.322
PS3: 652.481
Difference: 303.841

So if we assume that PS3 sold 150.000 and Wii 25.000 this week the difference is 180.000. It's still a pretty big difference and there only 17 weeks remaining for this year. Let's wait to see first the 2-3 following weeks and what the PS3 sales will be.
Ye, that is true, it is too early with a direct/precise comparison as you say. I was just wondering if we assume what the PS3 and the Wii would sell to get a ballpark figure on how the YTD is between the PS3 and the Wii :) But ye, we will get the exact Media Create hardware numbers later this week so we can do a direct comparison :) But thanks for the numbers now! :) I now know about how big the YTD gap is between the PS3 and the Wii.

Chris1964 said:
Only Curosaki Ichigo predicted this number. This is by far the best week PS3 ever had.
I forgot to answer to this earlier. Ye, Kurosaki Ichigo predicted that the PS3 would sell 155k consoles this week. I think that this is a pretty accurate prediction indeed. Congratulations, Kurosaki Ichigo! :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chris1964 said:

If sales continue to grow at this rate, Sony will sell 10,869,704 units next week. That about wraps it up for the competition.

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
If sales continue to grow at this rate, Sony will sell 10,869,704 units next week. That about wraps it up for the competition.

Return of the King indeed. This explains why FFXIII is only coming out now, with the installed base in Japan set to triple next week, it's good times for Sony Warriors. They've waited long and fought hard, but their day of glory is at hand.

Holy fuck. I predicted 100k and was being a bit reckless but 150k Hardware is ridiculous. Now to see what the new weekly average will be, I'd say around 30k a week leading up to Christmas and then BAM FF XIII!

shinshero

duckroll said:
Return of the King indeed. This explains why FFXIII is only coming out now, with the installed base in Japan set to triple next week, it's good times for Sony Warriors. They've waited long and fought hard, but their day of glory is at hand.

Looks like Kuturagi 4D time paradox machine is set to go off next week. :lol

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
[PS3] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Spike) - 9.2k
Sinobi compares it with Imabikisou and 428:
PS3 Imabikisou - 16k
WII Imabikisou - 2k
WII 428 - 27k
428 on PS3 has done better than the Wii port of Imabikisou, and there's two things to note. Its from a lesser publisher (Spike instead of Sega) and there's a PSP port coming in two weeks.

Lowered expectations? :lol

topramen

So PS3 has had massive increases both in the UK and Japan, FFXIII and GT5 are on the horizon, and Nintendo has made no response what so ever?

They must be very confident in their branding

jrricky

Banned
topramen said:
So PS3 has had massive increases both in the UK and Japan, FFXIII and GT5 are on the horizon, and Nintendo has made no response what so ever?

Nintendo are pretty confident on where they stand right now. No one is going to take their spot from them.

test_account

XP-39C²
Flying_Phoenix said:
Lowered expectations? :lol
Ye, maybe lowered expectations indeed, but i dont think it is only because that the game are on the PS3 though if that is what you mean? I think it has more to do with being a port (the game was released on the Wii about 2 months ago or so i think). The PSP version is also coming out in about 2 week as Kurosaki Ichigo said, and maybe that will affect the sales of the PS3 version a bit as well? But who knows :)

By the way, does the PS3 version of 428 has anything exclusive to it (besides being in High Definition) compared to the Wii version, does anyone know?

I am curious about how much that PS3 Gundam game and 428 sold in their first week. We know the first day numbers, but i wonder if the PS3 Slim release has affected the sales of these 2 games, so that we will see a bigger increase from first day sales to first week sales than what is more common. I dont think 428 will increase very much in sales though since it is a port, but i am curious to see how the first week sales are anyway :)

spwolf

duckroll said:

:lol

no hard feelings eh? Silly % are as silly as people laughing at PS3 selling 2k last week.
But 150k is very good, and between 2x and 4x more than people predicted here.

And it will get better too for us deprived Sony fans... you know whats happening next? All national and worldwide media will headline PS3 trumping the competition and both Wii and 360 will be dead consoles, overcome by mighty Sony and power of PS brand.

:D

topramen said:

What exactly do you expect them to respond between the 5 hour old news of the successful Slim launch and now?

apujanata

slaughterking said:
What exactly do you expect them to respond between the 5 hour old news of the successful Slim launch and now?
Well, probably he hoped that Iwata are making sudden conference call to the press, and announce $100 (40%) Wii price cut effective tomorrow ?
Or something drastic like that ?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jrricky said:
Nintendo are pretty confident on where they stand right now. No one is going to take their spot from them.

They are clearly relying on NSMB Wii, which might work..but what if it doesn't? I have to imagine a price drop or bundle is in the cards if they don't have an amazing holiday.

donny2112

Congrats to Kurosaki Ichigo! I didn't think the price was going to make that much of a difference, when the PS3 had never been over 100K in a week in Japan previously.

Top Bottom