• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 3 - 9, 2009

test_account

XP-39C²
ethelred said:
The PS3's price tag isn't really a relevant bullet point at this juncture. In the beginning, it could be argued that no one wanted a PS3 because it was too expensive. Now no one wants a PS3 because its years of stagnation under a crippling price point have left it devoid of the kind of quality games that made people actually want the PS3's predecessor.

So the price point is still, like, at the root of its problems, but it's so distant and far removed now from the present reality of why no one wants a PS3 that it doesn't make any sense any longer to mention it when explaining why no one wants a PS3.
I am sure that the PS3's pricetag alone isnt the only reason for the low PS3 hardware sales, but i still belive that a pricetag of 39,900 Yen (or something like that) are still one of the bigger reasons for the low PS3 sales.

A pricedrop alone isnt necessarily enough for the PS3 hardware sales to increase much on a weekly basis, i agree, but i am interested to see how the situation will be when the PS3 Slim is being released, taking into account that the PS3 Slim rumors are true.

I think that this PS3 Slim and PS3 pricedrop situation cam be compared to the Monster Hunter 3 for the Wii situation. Some people (including myself) wonder if MH3 will lead to that developers will make more "core" games for the Wii. If the PS3 Slim gets released with a pricetag of 29,900 Yen or something, could this lead to that the developers will make more PS3 and Xbox 360 (multiplatform games) games?

ethelred said:
But thanks for mentioning it anyway. :) :) :)
No problem :) Hehe, ye, i know i use several of smileys sometimes, if that is what you mean with those 3 smileys? :) But i mostly use several of smileys to show/indicate that what i write is written in a friendly way. Sometimes maybe it unnecessary to use smileys to show that what i write is written in a friendly way though, but sometimes i use smileys just to make sure that what i write is understood as being written in a friendly way :)

EDIT: I added some text.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
doicare said:
If it doesn't do over 330k it will get very close to it.

Will you stop posting your predictions if you're way off?

Blablurn said:
not really. there are ps3 shortages in japan.

Never did I think I'd have reason to pull this one out of the archives again.

PhoenixWrightPS3Sales.gif

Busaiku

donny2112 said:
NSMB Wii will undercut its already very low weekly sales.
If anything, I'd think the Wii release would actually boost the sales of the DS iteration.
Sequels do tend to boost the numbers of their predecessors.

bttb said:
[
[PSP] Gran Turismo (SCE) FS 150K-210K / TF 210K-300K (GT5 Prologue - FW 108K / LTD 239K)

Damn.

Didn't GT, GT2, GT3, GT4 sell more than 1 million in Japan? That would be quite a drop for the series

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
JoshuaJSlone said:
Some of those Famitsu estimates seem low, but this one seems high, and simple enough to demonstrate why I think so.

Pokémon on DS is doing better than on GBA, but not THAT much better.

New main entries
Ruby/Sapphire: 5.34 million
Diamond/Pearl: 5.69 million, sure to grow some more
Change: 7%

New third entry
Emerald: 2.10 million
Platinum: 2.46 million and growing
Change: 17+%

Remake entries
FireRed/LeafGreen: 2.99 million
HeartGold/SoulSilver: 3.60 - 4.40 million
Change: 20% - 47% ?

Plus Red/Blue/Green were far more universally played than G/S. That number might not be so crazy (and only the low end estimate at that) if FR/LG were launching as DS games instead of G/S.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness?

Really? I dont think they are anywhere near analogous enough to make any sort of statement, same with Colosseum. No were near a MHTri comparison.

Johann

HK-47 said:
Plus Red/Blue/Green were far more universally played than G/S. That number might not be so crazy (and only the low end estimate at that) if FR/LG were launching as DS games instead of G/S.

Yeah, FR/LG and the GBA wireless adapter were overshadowed with announcement of the DS. I don't know if HG/SS will reach those estimates but I can see many D/P/Pl players migrating to those games just for the upgraded interface and potential GTC changes. With the exception of the wireless adapter add-on, FR/LG just ended up playing catch to R/S in functionality. They did have some nice Kanto and Johto Pokemon but you could always trade with friends for them.

cvxfreak

I dunno if HGSS will reach Famitsu's estimates, but it has to top 3 Million at some point. FRLG did after a few years, and Platinum's only about 500K or so behind.

AranhaHunter said:
Damn.

Didn't GT, GT2, GT3, GT4 sell more than 1 million in Japan? That would be quite a drop for the series
Home success isn't a guarantee of portable success anymore than the reverse... but yeah, that would be a crazy low number.

From the way it's shown, though, it almost seems like they're completely ignoring the past GT games. Rather than saying "It will do much worse than the previous Gran Turismo games." they're saying "It will do as well as or better then the Gran Turismo 5 Prologue series."

Segata's Akiba Report:

Monster Hunter/CCP Bundles are not sold out. Playstation 3s are not sold out. MH3 Standalone hasn't price collapsed terribly outside of Bic Camera, but stores are selling it at ~4800 now.

Nothing new and exciting in the bomba bin at Sofmap, though I've noticed that Animal Crossing Wii is being cleared at a lot of places now for 900 yen - 1300 yen.

Each of the big used shops has a few copies of DQIX, and copies of MH3 seem to be quite plentiful in the used shops. People in Akiba are still just hanging around playing DQIX near the station.

Also I got to hear the woman who sings the main song from Ys VII doing a live performance. That was kinda neat.

Oh, and I picked up a couple of games too.

Also, some guy handed me a pamphlet that read rather cryptically, "Himuro sucks donkey dong". Not sure what that means.

i was in Akiba today too, damn i would have been a pleasure to meet Segata Sanshiro...

i bought a copy of Dragon Ball Revenge of Piccolo (wii) which had a good discount in Yodobashi

i went to HEY and i saw Death Smiles II for the first time (it looks nice considering it's not a classical Cave 2D game), there was also a new testing SHMUP, it started today, very minimalist style, think about a side scrolling Asteroids.

i can confirm both DQ9 and MH3 used copies are becoming very common in some shops.
in both Yodobashi and Sofmap there is a Bayonetta trailer on the 360 section, seems like it could become one of the most pushed up games after Dream Club will be released (last week in August); preorders are already available for both versions.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Moor-Angol said:
i was in Akiba today too, damn i would have been a pleasure to meet Segata Sanshiro...

And since you're a Sega fan, that meeting wouldn't involve him judo throwing you into you explode! Lucky!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BishopLamont said:
Wait...wat? Joke or someone actually thought PS3s were sold out? :lol

It'd been bandied about because a few stores have run out of them. It's not that they've sort of "actively" sold out (you know, by selling a lot), it's that Sony has stopped shipping units in anticipation for some mysterious event (hurrr i wonder what will happen)

Stumpokapow said:
It'd been bandied about because a few stores have run out of them. It's not that they've sort of "actively" sold out (you know, by selling a lot), it's that Sony has stopped shipping units in anticipation for some mysterious event (hurrr i wonder what will happen)
Ah I see, how exciting tsk tsk.

Moor-Angol said:

i bought a copy of Dragon Ball Revenge of Piccolo (wii) which had a good discount in Yodobashi

i went to HEY and i saw Death Smiles II for the first time (it looks nice considering it's not a classical Cave 2D game), there was also a new testing SHMUP, it started today, very minimalist style, think about a side scrolling Asteroids.

i can confirm both DQ9 and MH3 used copies are becoming very common in some shops.
in both Yodobashi and Sofmap there is a Bayonetta trailer on the 360 section, seems like it could become one of the most pushed up games after Dream Club will be released (last week in August); preorders are already available for both versions.
I wonder if we did the ships in the night thing.

BishopLamont said:
Wait...wat? Joke or someone actually thought PS3s were sold out? :lol

Best not to ask. :)

Damn. I was about to offer a lame explanation for why it was sold out.

I was going to say something along the lines of "maybe it sold out because some people thought the new MH was on PS3 because the previous titles were on the PSP and PS2 only, harhar." Then I would have expected duckroll to get mad at me and slap my talking ass shut. Teh plan hath been ruend.

test_account

XP-39C²
Stumpokapow said:
And since you're a Sega fan, that meeting wouldn't involve him judo throwing you into you explode! Lucky!
Hehe. Come to think of it, i think it would be cool if Sega made a beat em' up game with Sega Sanshiro where he could judo throw people and then they exploded. I think that this game could be cool at least :)

BishopLamont said:
Best not to ask. :)
I was just wondering what he shouldnt get his hopes up for :) From what i have seen, all that he does is to predict resonable predictions (in my opinion at least, it is not predictions like "the PS3 will sell 3 million consoles this holiday season" or anything like that), and there isnt anything wrong with that? :)

doicare

test_account said:
I was just wondering what he shouldnt get his hopes up for :) From what i have seen, all that he does is to predict resonable predictions (in my opinion at least, it is not predictions like "the PS3 will sell 3 million consoles this holiday season" or anything like that), and there isnt anything wrong with that? :)

BishopLamont is a massive nintendo fanboy who's had a problem with me ever since i posted a theory in a pal charts thread saying that nintendo products get a boost in sales from kids being on their school holidays (backed it up with proof) and he can't stand nintendo being associated with kids or being 'kiddy'. Despite me being very good at making sales predictions and having sales contacts (number 1 npd sales predictor in 2008, top 3 so far this year and most of my japanese predictions are very close), he and a few other posters have a problem with me because of their fanboyism and they make snide remarks when i post.

caligula13

Gold Member
doicare said:
BishopLamont is a massive nintendo fanboy who's had a problem with me ever since i posted a theory in a pal charts thread saying that nintendo products get a boost in sales from kids being on their school holidays (backed it up with proof) and he can't stand nintendo being associated with kids or being 'kiddy'. Despite me being very good at making sales predictions and having sales contacts (number 1 npd sales predictor in 2008, top 3 so far this year and most of my japanese predictions are very close), he and a few other posters have a problem with me because of their fanboyism and they make snide remarks when i post.

i don't know what the problem is: i am a nintendo fanboy and i am proudly associated with kids.

i don't like to be associated with the so called harcore gamers, gangstas and idiots.

doicare said:
Despite me being very good at making sales predictions and having sales contacts

More people might take your otherwise-reasonable side here if you'd stop trying to front as having magical industry contacts when what you actually have is the same kind of largely-useless preorder data we've rejected from other sources before.

ksamedi

doicare said:

You're a pretty big Sony fanboy yourself no? Maybe thats why some people are negative towards you, Just saying.

doicare

charlequin said:
More people might take your otherwise-reasonable side here if you'd stop trying to front as having magical industry contacts when what you actually have is the same kind of largely-useless preorder data we've rejected from other sources before.

Believe what you like *shrugs*

ksamedi said:
You're a pretty big Sony fanboy yourself no? Maybe thats why some people are negative towards you, Just saying.

Well all i can say to that is check out the neogaf xbox360 achievement points league to see how much i play the 360 and if anybody wants my wii friend code they're welcome to it as well, not to mention last gen i owned all the consoles as well. If it seems i favour sony on these boards it's because i think they have been unfairly dumped on the most in recent years so i've defended them the most.

Gravijah

doicare said:
Believe what you like *shrugs*

Well all i can say to that is check out the neogaf xbox360 achievement points league to see how much i play the 360 and if anybody wants my wii friend code they're welcome to it as well, not to mention last gen i owned all the consoles as well. If it seems i favour sony on these boards it's because i think they have been unfairly dumped on the most in recent years so i've defended them the most.

In what reality has Sony been unfairly "dumped on" for the past few years? You do dumb shit and fall from 1st to 3rd and you get criticized, I don't care if you're Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft.

doicare

Gravijah said:
In what reality has Sony been unfairly "dumped on" for the past few years? You do dumb shit and fall from 1st to 3rd and you get criticized, I don't care if you're Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft.

You think sony hasn't been dumped on this gen? For example:

Lol ps3 is too big
Lol ps3 is the george foreman grill
Lol ps3 batman controller
Lol ps3 now has old ps2 controller
Lol motion controls
Lol $600
I will only pay $500 for one
(drops to $500)
I will only pay $400 for one
(drops to $400)
I will only pay $300 for one
(probable drop to $300+slim)
I will only pay $200 for one
Lol home
Lol xmb
Lol firmware updates
Lol Heavenly sword is too short
Lol little big planet didn't sell 5 million
Lol killzone isn't as good/sell as much as halo
Lol insert random ps3 exclusive didn't save the ps3
Lol year of the ps3
Lol ps3 lost an exclusive
Lol ps3 multiformat version of a game isn't as good as the 360 version
Lol Gran turismo has no damage

I could go on....

schuelma

So..how bout those used copies of Monster Hunter Tri.

markatisu

schuelma said:

Its interesting given that most of the MH fans on this board have played around 50-100 hours and are just nearing the end of the main game and still have online to get to.

MH does not seem like a game that is to be bought, beat and sold in a few weeks. Unless these are new MH fans who do not understand or likes it structure....or PSP users who just do not care for it with its mutliplayer being tied to the home

schuelma

markatisu said:
Its interesting given that most of the MH fans on this board have played around 50-100 hours and are just nearing the end of the main game and still have online to get to.

MH does not seem like a game that is to be bought, beat and sold in a few weeks. Unless these are new MH fans who do not understand or likes it structure....or PSP users who just do not care for it with its mutliplayer being tied to the home

Yeah. I know its just a bit of anecdotal evidence, but I'm wondering if online isn't going to be a very big draw at all.

doicare said:

big list

I could go on....
Well yeah, last place systems always get dumped on more than the rest, its nothing new. The people who say the comments that you listed don't have PS3s and probably never will. But when it comes down to it, the only thing that matters is if the system gets awesome games. The PS3 will probably stay in last place this generation, it will probably be looked down on by the media for the duration of this generation, but if they keep bringing out games like Trico, Heavy Rain, and Uncharted 2 I could really care less.

DNF

doicare said:
BishopLamont is a massive nintendo fanboy who's had a problem with me ever since i posted a theory in a pal charts thread saying that nintendo products get a boost in sales from kids being on their school holidays (backed it up with proof) and he can't stand nintendo being associated with kids or being 'kiddy'. Despite me being very good at making sales predictions and having sales contacts (number 1 npd sales predictor in 2008, top 3 so far this year and most of my japanese predictions are very close), he and a few other posters have a problem with me because of their fanboyism my ignorance against facts, my tendency to proof my own theories with something that has nothing to do at all with my claims, the fact that when someone make a proof that disprove my statements i would just say "but that proofs my point even more" and my behaviour that once i call someone a fanboy i take no further comments from him serious, even if it would have been the most true statement of all time and because of that, they make snide remarks when i post
Fixed it for you, buddy.

markatisu

schuelma said:
Yeah. I know its just a bit of anecdotal evidence, but I'm wondering if online isn't going to be a very big draw at all.

The free trial is ending shortly (this week for people at launch) so we will find out I guess

Capcom did have to add additional servers though, its hard to tell if people will pay for it after the free trial runs out

doicare

DNF said:
Fixed it for you, buddy.

Sadly no you haven't, if you want to discuss it then pm me instead of posting in this thread as it has been derailed enough already. If what i have said is incorrect and i have been 'proved wrong' then you should have no problem in showing that.

Gravijah

doicare said:

Lol ps3 is too big
Lol ps3 is the george foreman grill
Lol ps3 batman controller
Lol ps3 now has old ps2 controller
Lol motion controls
Lol $600
I will only pay $500 for one
(drops to $500)
I will only pay $400 for one
(drops to $400)
I will only pay $300 for one
(probable drop to $300+slim)
I will only pay $200 for one
Lol home
Lol xmb
Lol firmware updates
Lol Heavenly sword is too short
Lol little big planet didn't sell 5 million
Lol killzone isn't as good/sell as much as halo
Lol insert random ps3 exclusive didn't save the ps3
Lol year of the ps3
Lol ps3 lost an exclusive
Lol ps3 multiformat version of a game isn't as good as the 360 version
Lol Gran turismo has no damage

I could go on....

Please tell me how those things are somehow unique/unfair to Sony, when comparable stuff is said about ALL consoles.

doicare

Gravijah said:
Please tell me how those things are somehow unique/unfair to Sony, when comparable stuff is said about ALL consoles.

Because all the consoles when you actually sit down and look at them in a fair and objective way have roughly the same amount and same severity of issues (all be it slightly different ones), yet despite this the tiniest of issues with sony this generation gets blown way out of proportion and continuously bashed over the head, whilst most of the other consoles issues don't get treated as harshly.

Grampasso

JoshuaJSlone said:
I think no. It sold not-quite-300K in the last year, so at that rate it would take nearly two more years. However, it's not just selling at a constant rate, but slowing down with time. So I think it peters out before then. But maybe the Famitsu 2012 Top 500 will show me wrong.
2008-07-21
Don't you think it could get a decent boost when Wii version will be out? That's pretty common when a sequel or spinoff comes out to boost sales of the last version, in particular if the game had already had a good amount of success. But maybe this time since 5m+ is freaking huge there won't be many people wanting it :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
doicare said:
Ok, i see. I dont really know BishopLamont, so i dont know how much that i can say about him.

But regarding some of the comments to your predictions, is this bacause of the theory that kids buying more games during holiday? If yes, isnt it best to put that older discussion behind, and agree to disagree regarding that theory if no agreeing came out of that discussion earlier? I didnt really follow this discussion regarding this theory though, so i unfortunately i cant say too much about it.

And if this is the case, then i think that it is a bit pity to see some "fighting" (or what i shall say) now over something that were discussed a while ago :\ I dont really like to see to much of this "fighting" on forums and similar places, but that is just my opinion. I can understand that people can be annoyed or "angry" (or what i shall say) about something for a long period of time though, i dont really have much problem with that, since i can also be annoyed and "angry" about stuff for a longer period of time, but in this case it was "just" a discussion though, at least in my opinion.

Personally i think it would be best if this this discussion could be discussed finish and/or put this discussion behind and become friends, or at least be neutral to eachother instead. But people can write and say what they want, i am not saying anything against that. I just wanted to say my thoughts on this subject :)

I am mostly generally speaking here, so what i just said is not directed to anyone specific users here just to underline that. I dont mean any offence or to say anything bad towards anyone here either. I am also more gernerally speaking about discussions in general and not just the discussion about the theory that kids buys more games during holidays.

schuelma said:
How much does a used copy of Monster Hunter Tri cost compare to a new copy? I am curious if it is cheaper to buy a new copy (i see that some stores has a pricedrop on the standalone MH3 game) or buy a used copy. If it is cheaper to buy a new copy, then these sold copies will be tracked by sales trackers, and MH3 might reach 1 million copies sold faster :)

Top Bottom