• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 3 - 9, 2009

test_account

XP-39C²
Tenbatsu said:
1) The over of the campaign.

2) This am not sure, maybe every Wii is entitled to 20 days FREE as the game is tie down to your Wii shop channel.
Ok, so you must complete the campaign in MH3 before you can play the online part for free?

BishopLamont said:
I'm sure you're good at spotting Wally (or Waldo depending on where you live).
I think that "obonicus" has a point though, since "if all goes well" can probably be defined in several of ways. To take one example, if Sony says "if all goes well, we belive that we will sell 3 million PS3 consoles in 2010 in Japan". If Sony ends up only selling 1 million PS3 consoles in 2010 in Japan, then they might say "we did say "if all goes well", but all didnt go well". I dont mean to compare this example to any of Capcom's predictions regaridng Monster Hunter 3 just to underline that. I just wanted to mention this example to show that adding "if all goes well" to a sentence might make the sentence more vague than just saying "we belive". I guess that it depends a bit on how "if all goes well" is defined.

But ye, i agree that Capcom's answer regarding what they said about their Monster Hunter 3 prediction sales to be a standard/good PR answer, and that there isnt really too much more that Capcom can say about how the MH3 sales will be, since they dont really know too much more than we do as you said, i agree :)

Chris1964 said:
I have the data in front of me, so here are the games with a >90% sellthrouth (m-create):

(games here) (i just write "games here" to cut a bit down on the quote size, but i did read what you wrote :))

Note: M-create started giving first week sellthrough shipments only at m-create 2008 top 500, so the numbers I have are from the games that charted there as well as from the 2009 games that we have shipments report.

Pokemon is the clear undershipping winner and and if the famitsu estimate of Pokemon HG / SS 1,35M-1,90M first week prediction is based on any retailer preorders the pattern will continue.
Cool, thanks for the answer! :) Ye, Pokemon Diamond has a really high sell through percent indeed. I wonder how many copies Nintendo will ship regarding Pokemon HG and SS.

Chris1964 said:
Most of their predictions are way off even if we take the closer prediction to reality. Here are the real numbers (m-create again):

(games here)
Ah, i looked at the sales numbers of World Soccer Winning Eleven 8 instenad of World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008, i am sorry for this mistake, i retract my statment regarding this game. But Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (Famitsu numbers has it at 371,443, so it is about 71.4k off. Not too close though, but at least it isnt like 300k off or something like some of their other predicitons :)), SD Gundam Generation Spirits, Super Robot Wars OG Gaiden and Ace Combat 6 (unless you count the bundled re-relase of Ace Combat 6) are relatively close, at least in my opinion. It doesnt change the fact that their other predictions are way off though, but i just wanted to be a bit fair to those predictors that they got some of their predictions relatively close at least :)

Chris1964 said:
Even if I accept that they couldn't predict Wii Fit because it opened a new market what's the excuse for Wii Fit Plus? 1,80M? Really?
I am not sure why they predicted that numbers for Wii Fit Plus. Maybe they think that many people dont use Wii Fit longer and therefor wont buy Wii Fit Plus? But unfortunately i have no idea.

Chris1964 said:
I don't have any problem with doicare's predictions. After all this is a sales thread. The problem I have is that he wanted (and still wants it seems) to convince everyone that his predictions are based on some inside ''source'' he has and can't reveal. So since he wants to regard himself a professional sales analyst I compared him to the professional famitsu analysts.
Seriously now, it's not anything special for someone to predict first week sales. If you watch amazon.jp, some online japanese retailers, first shipments information and have some knowledge about japanese game sales you can have a rough estimate of what a game will sell its first week. The real challenge is to predict the LTD sales. I think so far doicare has spoken about two games LTD. Wii Sports Resort and Tales of Vesperia. With the first one he failed. Let's see how he will do with the second one (he predicted 330K LTD).
Ok, i see what you mean, thanks for the explanation :) But was the "worse predictions even than doicare" comment only aimed towards his LTD predictions? If yes, isnt it a bit "unfair" (or what i shall say) to mention his predictions when it is only based on 1 LTD that we know so far (the Wii Sports Resort LTD. The Tales of Versperia PS3 version LTD still remains to be seen as you mentioned)? Or am i missunderstanding something? What was his Wii Sports Resort LTD predictions by the way?

Predicting the 1st week sales might be easier than predicting the LTD sales, especially if you know how big the first shipment is, i agree, but to predict relatively correct 1st week sales numbers isnt necessarily that easy, at least in my opinion. For example, we knew that Mosnter Hunter 3 got a first shipment of about 1 million copies, and if i remember correctly, i saw 1st week predictions ranging from like 450k to 700k.

I guess it depends a bit on how "rough estimate" is defined though, but numbers from 450k to 700k (if those were the numbers and that i dont remember wrong) is a relatively wide range, at least in my opinion. I dont see anything wrong if peoples' predictions are off just to underline that, but i just wanted to mention that people might have a quite different 1st week sales prediction even if they should know the first shipment numbers :)

I dont know regarding who of those who predicted the MH3 first week sales that just went with a "gut feeling" and who that checked Amazon.co.jp and other online retail stores though. Maybe those who were relatively close with their predictions did check more into Amazon.co.jp and other online retail stores etc.?

To take another example, if New Super Mario Bros Wii gets a first shipment of 1 million copies, how much can we expect it to sell in the first week? I guess that it might be quite early to say too much about how much New Super Mario Bros Wii will sell in the first week though, but i just wanted to ask for fun :)

Chris1964 said:
And to quote myself in case someone didn't see it.

I have feedback from some gaffers, if anyone else wants to help he is welcome.
I wish that i could help you here, but unfortunately i dont know where to find older Media Create sales data, sorry :\ But i think that is cool to hear that you are making a Media Create sales database! :)

onken said:
Wow I can't believe how poor NiGHTS sold, that was such a kick-ass port, I loved it.
Ye, selling 26k isnt exactly that good indeed :( How much did the Sega Saturn version of NiGHTS sold by the way? I am just wondering to compare the sales numbers.

EDIT: Seeing that those Famitsu predictors predicted that NiGHTS would sell like 200k copies, i guess that this might be based a bit on how NiGHTS for Sega Saturn sold?

EDIT 2: I added some text.

markatisu

test_account said:
Ok, but what about to get to play one month for free?

The one month free is when you first activate your online account, there is no special requirement that I know of

If I remember the videos and the discussions about MH3 (and Tenbatsu can confirm this probably) the game asks you if you want to use Wii Points when you go online. It gives you the option to buy the monthly plan, but if you opt not too I think you still get the 21 free days.

Chris1964 said:
About famitsu estimates. These guys are a complete joke. This is what cvxfreak had posted back in October 2007.

I can't believe they track sales so many years, have obviously preorders numbers and they manage to have worse predictions even than doicare.
Are those old estimations the same kind of the recent ones though? The latest that were posted by bttb had first shipment numbers which seem sure to assume that they had a good bit of previous knowledge thrown in them, because they are in line with the shipments numbers we got for first day figures.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16759434&postcount=162
[WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) FS 800K-1.00M / TF 800K-1.20M (MH2: FW 368K / LTD 571K)
- well, this sure wasn't hard to predict, specially with their wide 800 to 1000k range
[PSP] Tales of VS. (Bandai Namco Games) FS 180K-220K / TF 180K-260K (TotW RM2: FW 210K / LTD 317K)
- ~180k first shipment
[PS2] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Bandai Namco Games) FS 130K-180K / TF 130K-180K (GG Spirits: FW 231K / LTD 372K)
- ~185k first shipment
[NDS] Blood of Bahamut (Square Enix) FS 110K-160K / TF 130K-180K
- ~115k first shipment
[NDS] Tingle's Love Balloon Trip (Nintendo) FS 80K-120K / TF 140K-180K (Rosy Rupeeland: FW 46K / LTD 235K)
- ~95k first shipment

Those were posted barely two weeks before their releases though, so I guess their precision with titles coming way later (from the latest post, with Gran Turismo and such) should be way lower.

The total forecasts are a joke in these ones too (like the old ones posted). Gundam PS2 had a 1st week sold number higher than their TF. Blood of Bahamut isn't going to get a 2nd shipment.

I think that if we combine this estimations with MH3 sales discrepancy we arrive at the clear conclusion that the only solution is to fire everyone involved and hire doicare and ioi for those sections respectively.

test_account

XP-39C²
markatisu said:
The one month free is when you first activate your online account, there is no special requirement that I know of

If I remember the videos and the discussions about MH3 (and Tenbatsu can confirm this probably) the game asks you if you want to use Wii Points when you go online. It gives you the option to buy the monthly plan, but if you opt not too I think you still get the 21 free days.
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :) But was wast he mentioning about the campaign about? Was it the single player campaign in MH3, or is it some campaign that only a certain number of copies of MH3 that includes one month of free online play?

kassatsu

Banned
2hewkef.jpg

From anoop

"Now Bic is discounting the Monster Hunter 3 white Classic Controller Pro pack!"

cvxfreak

The dominos are falling rapidly.

The Bic website also has the Black Wii + MH3 pack in stock. However, Bic has apparently raised the price of the standalone MH3 back up to ¥4980.

I think Bic's on crack! @_@

swerve

I guess it was an Obon promotion, and now they are going to a more standardised price.

5,980 is only 1,000 less than I paid on launch day (for the black controller pack).

Weird to see the pricing bouncing around all over the place, and interesting to note that it still appears to be Bic-only (unless I've missed reports of other discounts?)

cvxfreak

swerve said:
I guess it was an Obon promotion, and now they are going to a more standardised price.

5,980 is only 1,000 less than I paid on launch day (for the black controller pack).

Black ain't on sale, though. :p Just adds to more of the game's pricing weirdness this last week. I want it to end already! :lol

cvxfreak said:
Black ain't on sale, though. :p Just adds to more of the game's pricing weirdness this last week. I want it to end already! :lol

Really odd. Low demand for the white CCPro pack? This week's figures will be really interesting...

Stumpokapow said:
Low demand for the white CCPro pack :p

Yes, I know :D

I suppose it's too easy to read too much into the individual changes (the price going back up on the standalone at Bic, or the price drop on the white pack) and miss what could well be just a general drop-off of demand and price collapse.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I guess Capcom should have just shipped a million black Pro bundles.

swerve

Price collapse happens when a game isn't moving at all. Price adjustments like Bic's seem to be happening because one version is more popular than the others but the store had an equal allocation of each.

If there had only been one SKU and it was still selling as it is (over 50k per week nationwide) there would be none of this pricing oddness.

Although actually, by this point in its sales life, I'd always expect a 7000 yen game to be down at 5,500 in many stores. Only S-E games and BeatMania defy that sort of movement.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cosmonaut X said:
Yes, I know :D

I suppose it's too easy to read too much into the individual changes (the price going back up on the standalone at Bic, or the price drop on the white pack) and miss what could well be just a general drop-off of demand and price collapse.

I just think it's hilarious that a gap in demand would happen between two colours of the same item, in the same way that Pokemon editions sell 500k different amounts because of, essentially, title and logo.

schuelma

Stumpokapow said:
I just think it's hilarious that a gap in demand would happen between two colours of the same item, in the same way that Pokemon editions sell 500k different amounts because of, essentially, title and logo.

White is so 2006

apujanata

Chris1964 said:
I don't have any problem with doicare's predictions. After all this is a sales thread. The problem I have is that he wanted (and still wants it seems) to convince everyone that his predictions are based on some inside ''source'' he has and can't reveal. So since he wants to regard himself a professional sales analyst I compared him to the professional famitsu analysts.
Seriously now, it's not anything special for someone to predict first week sales. If you watch amazon.jp, some online japanese retailers, first shipments information and have some knowledge about japanese game sales you can have a rough estimate of what a game will sell its first week. The real challenge is to predict the LTD sales. I think so far doicare has spoken about two games LTD. Wii Sports Resort and Tales of Vesperia. With the first one he failed. Let's see how he will do with the second one (he predicted 330K LTD).

What was doicare's LTD prediction of WSR ?

schuelma said:
White is so 2006
My original plan was to buy CCPro Black (Kuro), but after seeing how fingerprint prone it was, I bought the white (shiro) one. I am really happy with my white CCPro.

Jaruru

apujanata said:
My original plan was to buy CCPro Black (Kuro), but after seeing how fingerprint prone it was, I bought the white (shiro) one. I am really happy with my white CCPro.

I got both Black and White CCPro. the fingerprint even makes the black one looks dirty XD
but it's gorgeous (when fingerprintless)

white one is on display now

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
donny2112 said:
So with DQIX seeming to spark the DS side of local multiplayer play, is it time to try a DS Monster Hunter game?

No.
DQ9 would have sold the same without a MP.

markatisu

donny2112 said:
So with DQIX seeming to spark the DS side of local multiplayer play, is it time to try a DS Monster Hunter game?

Oh god no, chances are it would look awful and play worse.

schuelma said:
I guess Capcom should have just shipped a million black Pro bundles.

Yeah, most people could have figured that out easily. If there were 2 skus I would limit it would have been standalone and the white CC pro

Nice to see its mainly BIC just trying to get rid of things they overordered, rather than a complete price collapse on the game itself (I think we could determine that if anyone had any proof the black cc bundle was on clearance, but that has not happened)

donny2112

cw_sasuke said:
DQ9 would have sold the same without a MP.

Eh, I think it may be giving it a little more legs, but I'm not saying DQIX sold millions because of multi-player. I'm saying that past local multi attempts on the DS (e.g. PS0) did poorly, but since DQIX seems to have overcome that apparent aversion to local DS multi-play, should companies (e.g. Capcom) try to take advantage of it with other local multi-play games for the DS?

schuelma

Sooo..its official, new Slim coming 1st week of September at 29,980 yen.

Thoughts on what kind of impact it will have?

Will it be bigger than the 2007 drop? The same? Less?

I'm skeptical that it will do all that much given that the new model isn't releasing with any huge software to accompany it. Gundam and then the Vesperia port is all I see until Bayonetta at the end of October.

I could see a rise to 40K or so and then a relatively quick fall back.

schuelma said:

I'm skeptical that it will do all that much given that the new model isn't releasing with any huge software to accompany it. Gundam and then the Vesperia port is all I see until Bayonetta at the end of October.

Really hard to tell... but as a new redesigned model with the biggest single price cut ever, I think it should do better than the past new color model launch/price cut.

schuelma

AnimeTheme said:
Really hard to tell... but as a new redesigned model with the biggest single price cut ever, I think it should do better than the past new color model launch/price cut.

Do you remember what the first price cut in 2007 was?

gtj1092

schuelma said:

Won't do much ps3 destined to stay in the 5k range for the rest of the year.

markatisu

schuelma said:

I think it might increase the baseline a tiny bit (with the 1st week being the biggest) but without any software I just do not see it doing much to change the direction of things.

schuelma

gtj1092 said:
Won't do much ps3 destined to stay in the 5k range for the rest of the year.

Don't know if you're being sarcastic, but that obviously won't happen.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
With GT5 and FF13 this year and a nice showing at TGS i could see a Ps3 Comeback happening.

schuelma

slaughterking said:
The PS3 already is pulling much lower numbers than it ever did before the 40GB launch.

I don't think so- I believe it was even lower right before the 40GB last year.

jakncoke

Banned
slaughterking said:
The PS3 already is pulling much lower numbers than it ever did before the 40GB launch.

Not quite, going by MC numbers. The 2 weeks previous, the PS3 #'s were 4,725 and 3,931

gtj1092

Segata Sanshiro said:
Christ, you're so fucking annoying. Will you ever stop cutting yourself over criticisms of the PS3?

Glad to have a fan. Why would I cut myself over a piece of plastic? Its like me asking will you ever stop cutting yourself over posters that you find annoying? I just pointing out if people here actually buy into what they post then the Ps3 shouldn't increase in sales.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
gtj1092 said:
Glad to have a fan. Why would I cut myself over a piece of plastic? Its like me asking will you ever stop cutting yourself over posters that you find annoying? I just pointing out if people here actually buy into what they post then the Ps3 shouldn't increase in sales.
I really try to understand if you are serious. I guess you have another fan.

schuelma

gtj1092 said:
I just pointing out if people here actually buy into what they post then the Ps3 shouldn't increase in sales.

No one is saying it won't increase sales. People are saying they don't expect the bump to be permanent.

jakncoke said:
Not quite, going by MC numbers. The 2 weeks previous, the PS3 #'s were 4,725 and 3,931
I was looking up the hardware numbers on garaph and they seemed to be in the 15k range. I'm always overwhelmed with the garaph search engine, though, so I might be wrong.

schuelma

Souldriver said:
So people doubt an increase with a model redesign and a price cut? Only 40k first week?

40K is probably low- I thought the previous bump with a price cut was around there, but it was actually 55K. Now, that also was in November and had Musou 5 coming out on the same day..

I guess it could do more than that, but I'm not convinced that the redesign is going to make all that much of a difference.

So put my revised prediction at 50K or so.

Razien

Banned
apujanata said:

I definitely prefer having the fingerprints on my CC than having a yellow cc when it gets old.
People overestimate the power of fingerprints (which are cleanable) and underestimate the power of yellowness (I sweat a lot, so white controllers are bond to become yellow quickly).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
apujanata said:
What was doicare's LTD prediction of WSR ?
He didn't give an exact number but he said that according to the preorder data he had from his ''source'' the future of this game wasn' t bright. He repeated this statement at many media create threads and was very sure about his prediction.

markatisu

Chris1964 said:
He didn't give an exact number but he said that according to the preorder data he had from his ''source'' the future of this game wasn' t bright. He repeated this statement at many media create threads and was very sure about his prediction.

He also predicated a massive drop off for WSR after launch when the numbers were higher than what he claimed they would be

gtj1092 said:
Will I ever stop cutting myself over the fact that I have to share atmosphere with so many idiots? No, I've hit an age where I realize I probably won't.

donny2112 said:
It's not like DS has exactly been lacking local multiplayer hits. Pokémon and Mario Kart may not play much like Monster Hunter, but neither does Dragon Quest.
Souldriver said:
So people doubt an increase with a model redesign and a price cut? Only 40k first week?
For a secondary home console (or quaternary system in general), 40K outside of the holidays is almost never a safe bet. Outside of November/December/January high times, GCN's only week over 40K was launch week.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Segata Sanshiro said:
Will I ever stop cutting myself over the fact that I have to share atmosphere with so many idiots? No, I've hit an age where I realize I probably won't.

ha ha wrong side of 30 ha ha

Top Bottom