• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: August 7-13

cvxfreak

Chris Michael said:
Yeah. They blamed the tankage of Pac n' Roll. I think there was another time too, but I can't quite remember.

Well, Namco are known for shit-tastic expectations. RR6 500K :lol

Dalthien

Chris Michael said:
Yeah. They blamed the tankage of Pac n' Roll. I think there was another time too, but I can't quite remember.
Yeah, it was weird. They blamed their weaker-than-expected sales on underperforming DS titles. Meanwhile, Tamagotchi was just about to pass a million units sold at the time of the statement. It made a lot of people scratch their heads.

Anyway, did anyone notice the breakdown for the Top 30 for the week?

DS - 19 out of 30
PS2 - 7 out of 30
PSP - 3 out of 30
GBA - 1 out of 30

19/30 is insane. Is that the best performance yet for the DS as far as the Top 30 goes? I'm guessing it is.

Vieo said:
Well that about wraps it up for Nintendo. There's really no way their next handheld can out do DS.

Heh, at this rate, I don't see Nintendo discontinuing the DS for at least another 5 years.

cvxfreak

Dalthien said:
Yeah, it was weird. They blamed their weaker-than-expected sales on underperforming DS titles. Meanwhile, Tamagotchi was just about to pass a million units sold at the time of the statement. It made a lot of people scratch their heads.

Tamagotchi did what most thought Jump Superstars would do. :lol

AniHawk said:
It's the new Game Boy.

It's bigger than Game Boy. In Japan anyway.

I'd look for another DS revision to come that drops the GBA slot, but adds internal flash memory (ala the Wii hardware), allowing people to download and buy GB/GBA/DS software through the system itself.

Rlan

Pac 'N Roll was awesome :(

Dig Dug: Digging Strike completely bombed too - but the game was announced and released within two months of each other. Though the game had 5 programmers and 4 graphic designers - I doubt they were working very hard on it.

Rock_Man

Brain Training 2 - 65,000 / 3,049,000 (Dengeki)

It took 33 weeks to reach 3 million compared to 35 weeks for Animal Crossing.

Lapsed

Banned
AniHawk said:
It's the new Game Boy.

What is funny is how the DS achieved its success without the Gameboy brand (and the Playstation brand isn't shooting the PSP to the stratoshphere). This really ought to kill the "brand-is-everything" myth.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Chris Michael said:

Maybe it wasn't the best idea to release that game on the same week as Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Nintendogs.

Dalthien

I just noticed that the DS has 7 (seven) 3rd-party games in the Top 30, including 2 (two) in the Top 10. I'm guessing that might be a record for the system.

I think this DS thing is starting to catch on.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Dalthien said:
I just noticed that the DS has 7 (seven) 3rd-party games in the Top 30, including 2 (two) in the Top 10. I'm guessing that might be a record for the system.

I think this DS thing is starting to catch on.

But the PSP has 8 3rd party titles in the top 50 so there!!!

Lapsed said:
What is funny is how the DS achieved its success without the Gameboy brand (and the Playstation brand isn't shooting the PSP to the stratoshphere). This really ought to kill the "brand-is-everything" myth.

If you have a phenomenon like Brain Training, sure, brand becomes irrelevant.

Lets alone 2-3 phenomenons back-to-back with Nintendogs coming prior and then Animal Crossing/NSMB.

Of course making a phenomenon like that is easier said than done.

It's like saying "Titanic" and the "The Sixth Sense" prove that you don't know to be a sequel to make big time box office ... well sure, now you just have to be able to release a "Titanic" every few years.

soundwave05 said:

Lets alone 2-3 phenomenons back-to-back with Nintendogs coming prior and then Animal Crossing/NSMB.

Of course making a phenomenon like that is easier said than done.

It's like saying "Titanic" and the "The Sixth Sense" prove that you don't know to be a sequel to make big time box office ... well sure, now you just have to be able to release a "Titanic" every few years.

The problem is that I think in the U.S. Nintendo may have made a mistake not keeping the game boy brand.

Deku

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
The problem is that I think in the U.S. Nintendo may have made a mistake not keeping the game boy brand.

Regional console names are the things of the past. It's too early to make any conclusions about the north American market since it seems to be in a 1 year time lag behind the Japanese market in terms of adopting the portables.

And on that note, the GameBoy brand isn't dead either. Write it off at your own risk.

Holy crackers... How the heck did Kirarin Revolution get into the top 10... Teeheehee, what would be more surprising is seeing it in the top 10 next week, but I don't see it happening.

ethelred

cvxfreak said:
Yeah, but they don't really match up with this week's numbers.

Which is really disappointing. I hate how few numbers we get these days... and I liked that (I thought) we were getting some numbers for games like Mario Hoops and Digimon this week.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Chris Michael said:

The reason for the tankage of pac n roll was it was worse than eating a shit sandwich. Namco tricked me twice, once with pac pix (UGHHH) and then "maybe pacman will be better in this outing"

WRONG

Rock_Man

I predict 9 DS games in the top 10 next week. The only other software in the chart will be Daito Giken Pachislot (PS2).

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
"5. NDS Cooking Navi (Nintendo) - 57,257 / 290,960"

will this be another million seller? looks like it has legs.

dammit, Nintendo. this is just amazing.

Lapsed

Banned
soundwave05 said:

I wouldn't consider the DS to be an anomaly (every successful system has huge hit games). Atari, the NES/Famicom, Gameboy, Megadrive/Genesis, and Playstation had no brand loyalty which didn't stop its huge sales. Even more curious is that their successor systems, carrying the same brand, almost always sold less then the original. I don't see any evidence of a hardware brand "building" in sales.

Nintendo is definately increasing its hardware sales but it is also dropping its brands. Gameboy... dropped. Nintendo label was on the DS Phat is gone on the DS Lite. And the Wii is just "Wii", not Nintendo Wii and happily not the Gamecube Next.

I don't think we'll see a return of the Gameboy brand just as we won't see a "Super Gamecube" or "Gamecube 64". As far as hardware is concerned, brand may become a liability especially with the harsh stigma is attached to gaming. If the DS had the 'Gameboy' brand, it may have been much harder to sell Brain, dog, and cooking games on it. People would go, "Oh, that is Gameboy which is for young males." But the DS lacks that stigma.

Lapsed said:
I wouldn't consider the DS to be an anomaly (every successful system has huge hit games). Atari, the NES/Famicom, Gameboy, Megadrive/Genesis, and Playstation had no brand loyalty which didn't stop its huge sales. Even more curious is that their successor systems, carrying the same brand, almost always sold less then the original. I don't see any evidence of a hardware brand "building" in sales.

Nintendo is definately increasing its hardware sales but it is also dropping its brands. Gameboy... dropped. Nintendo label was on the DS Phat is gone on the DS Lite. And the Wii is just "Wii", not Nintendo Wii and happily not the Gamecube Next.

I don't think we'll see a return of the Gameboy brand just as we won't see a "Super Gamecube" or "Gamecube 64". As far as hardware is concerned, brand may become a liability especially with the harsh stigma is attached to gaming. If the DS had the 'Gameboy' brand, it may have been much harder to sell Brain, dog, and cooking games on it. People would go, "Oh, that is Gameboy which is for young males." But the DS lacks that stigma.

Well said sir.

verplant

Error2k4 said:
"5. NDS Cooking Navi (Nintendo) - 57,257 / 290,960"

will this be another million seller? looks like it has legs.

dammit, Nintendo. this is just amazing.

this week: 57,257
last week: 45,846

million seller confirmed

RX178

Lapsed said:

I don't agree that use DS to dropping Nintendo's brand name. IPOD is not named as Apple IPOD but we are associate it with Apple now.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
RX178 said:
I don't agree that use DS to dropping Nintendo's brand name. IPOD is not named as Apple IPOD but we are associate it with Apple now.
But they didn't use gameboy.

Lapsed said:

Just to clarify, you don't necessarily consider 'brand' the same thing as 'reputation', do you?

Anyway, AC:WW! Welcome back!

*throws confetti*

Edit: Wow at DSLite sales. Just wow.

Top Bottom