• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 14-20, 2009

donny2112

charlequin said:
Blue Dragon did fairly well depending on how willing you are to grade on a curve. Nintendo had at least two.

The discussion was originally about 3rd party games.

Edit:
With that criteria, I don't see any > 300K. 200-300K, Karaoke Joysound Wii and Deca Sporta seem to be it. I don't know that a Karaoke game would count as a new IP, though.

Edit2:
From Nirolak's below list, PS3 Bayonetta should cross 200K, too.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
Chris1964, Road, bttb and I can all finally relax. :D

I think we should just retire this thread altogether. No need for it now.

Vamphuntr

duckroll said:
They've stated that the reason the sequel is on the PSP is because they needed to release a sequel fast to ride the wave of popularity it still has from the first game, and the anime series. It would have taken longer to make a console sequel, but it's not something they are opposed to in the future.

Yes I'm aware of this. But I kinda doubt this is the only reason :) . Did the anime boost that much the game? I remember seeing a small comeback when the anime was released but that's it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
donny2112 said:
The discussion was originally about 3rd party games.
In that case, I guess our list would be Bayonetta, Valkyria Chronicles, Last Remnant, and probably End of Eternity, though that one still has to release.

Edit:

Given your 200-300k range edit, we would be left with Bayonetta. Well, it seems Sega made quite a choice with Platinum there.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
In that case, I guess our list would be Bayonetta, Valkyria Chronicles, Last Remnant, and probably End of Eternity, though that one still has to release.

Nah, I think to be fair, it would just be Bayonetta. I don't think selling ~100k is a big enough success (by no means a failure of course) to count as a break through new IP by any means. Let's not count unreleased games yet, it's bad luck. :p

schuelma

duckroll said:
Nah, I think to be fair, it would just be Bayonetta. I don't think selling ~100k is a big enough success (by no means a failure of course) to count as a break through new IP by any means. Let's not count unreleased games yet, it's bad luck. :p

I agree..I just used 100K to illustrate how horrible it is in the Wii's case.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
Yeah, you caught me before my edit.

Go Kamiya! :p

donny2112

On the expanded audience sequels thing, as stated before, Nintendo seems to have come to the conclusion that expanded audience titles need expansions and core titles need sequels. I think that's a pretty fair conclusion. Unfortunately, it nicely explains the serious lack of new content in each "new" Animal Crossing game, too. :( It's probably the reason they came out with "More Brain Training" and "More English Training" instead of actually calling them "<game name> 2."

Where's "More Nintendogs" or is that taken care of by the multiple versions released? :/

donny2112 said:
On the expanded audience sequels thing, as stated before, Nintendo seems to have come to the conclusion that expanded audience titles need expansions and core titles need sequels. I think that's a pretty fair conclusion. Unfortunately, it nicely explains the serious lack of new content in each "new" Animal Crossing game, too. :( It's probably the reason they came out with "More Brain Training" and "More English Training" instead of actually calling them "<game name> 2."

Where's "More Nintendogs" or is that taken care of by the multiple versions released? :/

I've always wondered why Nintendo hasn't announced any sequel/spin off of Nintendogs. Surely the original is past its selling prime, and that means the series is ripe for a new release, whether that means Wii or DS. Though to me it seems like Nintendogs could be a great launch/launch period title for the DS2, just like it was for the DS.

I also find it interesting that Nintendo has trended away from the whole "Training" line of games. Looking more closely at their more recent releases, it looks like they really have transferred the people who bought "Training" games into games like Rhythm Tengoku and Tomodachi Collection. Nintendo never successfully did this with the Wii. There has been Wii Fit, Wii Play, and Wii Sports, but there hasn't been much in the way of advancing the casuals who bought them on to the next stratum of games. Mario Kart Wii and NSMBW vaguely do this, but not in the same way as the DS games I mentioned. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

schuelma

Stopsign said:
Mario Kart Wii and NSMBW vaguely do this, but not in the same way as the DS games I mentioned. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Obviously its hard to tell who is buying software, but judging by its early performance I have to believe NSMB Wii has a very significant appeal to many Wii Fit type buyers.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
justchris said:
Jet Force Gemini.

...and...that's all I got. But that was a damn good game.

Bite your tounge, heathen. Blastcorps was the bees knees.

d+pad

Stopsign said:
I've always wondered why Nintendo hasn't announced any sequel/spin off of Nintendogs. Surely the original is past its selling prime, and that means the series is ripe for a new release, whether that means Wii or DS. Though to me it seems like Nintendogs could be a great launch/launch period title for the DS2, just like it was for the DS.

I also find it interesting that Nintendo has trended away from the whole "Training" line of games. Looking more closely at their more recent releases, it looks like they really have transferred the people who bought "Training" games into games like Rhythm Tengoku and Tomodachi Collection. Nintendo never successfully did this with the Wii. There has been Wii Fit, Wii Play, and Wii Sports, but there hasn't been much in the way of advancing the casuals who bought them on to the next stratum of games. Mario Kart Wii and NSMBW vaguely do this, but not in the same way as the DS games I mentioned. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I'm amazed there hasn't been a Nintendogs Wii game yet. Or a Rhythm Tengoku Wii game. Maybe in 2010? (Please?)

cvxfreak

d+pad said:
I'm amazed there hasn't been a Nintendogs Wii game yet. Or a Rhythm Tengoku Wii game. Maybe in 2010? (Please?)

I was actually thinking about this the other day. Wii versions of some DS hits might be a nice tie-over until Nintendo and others can output stronger hits like Zelda, Kirby and what not.

Rhythm Tengoku for Wii would probably be a Made in Wario-level hit. I think Nintendo's also overdue for a Donkey Kong platformer that's a little less reliant on a gimmick like the bongos (in spite of how good that was).

Sadly though, this really reminds me of the GameCube days, when we'd all ponder what could actually lift that system out of its rut. At least Sony gives us some potential possibilities. :lol

I don't really think a Wii version of Nintendogs would work. I mean, the idea is to simulate you taking care of a puppy and tying it down to a console seems kinda jarring.

donny2112

dolemite said:
Animal Crossing Wii didn't work,

What you say is "eh," but what you're implying (that the handheld game doesn't translate well to the console) is "no". Animal Crossing GCN is still the best of the ones that have made it to the U.S. :p

justchris

Vilix said:
Bite your tounge, heathen. Blastcorps was the bees knees.

I have heard this multiple times, but I never got to play it. It's one of the great disappointments of my life.

donny2112 said:

I think it's that aversion to sequels that's stopping this. I don't really think there's anything convincing you can add to Nintendogs that will convince your casual consumer that there's a reason to buy an expansion/sequel. I think something like Nintencats or even Nintengerbils is a better bet to actually happen, with a Nintendogs sequel maybe being a DS2 launch game, when they can show a clear reason to upgrade to both casual and core consumers.

I'm not sure what they'd call it though. Nintendogs 2 is right out. More Nintendogs doesn't seem appropriate. Maybe some other adjective to enhance the idea of how awesome these dogs are?

DR2K

Banned
duckroll said:

Didn't Bayonetta sell closer to 200k though?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
donny2112 said:
What you say is "eh," but what you're implying (that the handheld game doesn't translate well to the console) is "no". Animal Crossing GCN is still the best of the ones that have made it to the U.S. :p
The GC and Wii versions are both great games, but you have to admit that Wild World is in a whole other level of success.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DR2K said:
Didn't Bayonetta sell closer to 200k though?
Yeah, it sold 265,822 the last time we had numbers, which is why duckroll called it the one break out Japanese third party new IP console game in Japan.

d+pad

dolemite said:
Animal Crossing Wii didn't work, I don't see how Nintendogs Wii can.

I'm not sure how the two compare, honestly. I mean, if we're throwing out the old adage that DS successes don't translate to the Wii, then what do we say about NSMB Wii?

I sincerely believe Animal Crossing Wii could have been a much bigger success had it actually brought something new to the table (other than the lame 'city').

Anyway, considering Nintendogs originally was planned for GCN, I have to imagine it *could* work on Wii.

That's not the game I want, though. The game I want is Rhythm Tengoku Wii :)

Oh, and I love the idea of a Donkey Kong platformer on the Wii. Maybe New Donkey Kong? ;)

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
dolemite said:
Animal Crossing Wii didn't work, I don't see how Nintendogs Wii can.

ACWii had such great potential. But, like other great Nintendo franchies that would have been spectacular if given the proper treatment along with a great online function, Nintendo decided to do just what other third parties have done and port it to the Wii for some quick cash.

Osuwari

i think Rythm Tengoku wouldn't be suited for Wii given the fast and precise reactions needed. unless they tone those down of course...

DR2K

Banned
Nirolak said:
Yeah, it sold 265,822 the last time we had numbers, which is why duckroll called it the one break out Japanese third party new IP console game in Japan.

For some reason I skipped the period.

justchris

d+pad said:
I'm not sure how the two compare, honestly. I mean, if we're throwing out the old adage that DS successes don't translate to the Wii, then what do we say about NSMB Wii?

Maybe NES/SNES/n64/GCN successes translate to the DS? But DS successes don't translate to the Wii? I mean, it's not as if Super Mario Bros was originally a handheld franchise.

d+pad said:
Oh, and I love the idea of a Donkey Kong platformer on the Wii. Maybe New Donkey Kong? ;)

Donkey Kong Fascist Empire.

nli10

justchris said:
I have heard this multiple times, but I never got to play it. It's one of the great disappointments of my life.

I think it's that aversion to sequels that's stopping this. I don't really think there's anything convincing you can add to Nintendogs that will convince your casual consumer that there's a reason to buy an expansion/sequel. I think something like Nintencats or even Nintengerbils is a better bet to actually happen, with a Nintendogs sequel maybe being a DS2 launch game, when they can show a clear reason to upgrade to both casual and core consumers.

I'm not sure what they'd call it though. Nintendogs 2 is right out. More Nintendogs doesn't seem appropriate. Maybe some other adjective to enhance the idea of how awesome these dogs are?

BlastCorps was my favourite game of that generation. It'll get Retro Released eventually.

Nintenpets doesn't exist for the same reason that BrainTraining Family Edition doesn't exist on the Wii. Unfortunately I have no idea what that reason is!!

Both would be crossover games that used both the DS and the Wii so you could take pets out with you and that days brain exercises too, then return home to upload the results and compare with the group.

Zen

Banned
bttb said:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1230928_1124.html
Enterbrain/Famitsu

2008/12/29 ~ 2009/12/13

2009 PlayStation3 the Best Top 10
01. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 88,573
02. Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds - 88,346 (96,967)
03. Valkyria Chronicles - 81,625
04. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - 59,092
05. Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! - 55,226 (65,236)
06. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 39,679
07. Grand Theft Auto IV - 33,202
08. Devil May Cry 4 - 23,770
09. Mahjong Fight Club: Zengoku Taisen Ban - 20,656
10. Samurai Dou 3 Plus - 20,593

2009 Xbox360 Platinum Collection Top 10
01. Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation - 86,534 (128,414)
02. Beautiful Katamari - 74,166 (115,658)
03. Halo 3 - 25,508
04. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 24,567
05. Left 4 Dead - 12,988
06. Armored Core for Answer - 10,974
07. Idolmaster Twins - 6,621
08. Devil May Cry 4 - 6,360
09. Grand Theft Auto IV - 6,210
10. Fable II - 6,151

I'd be interested to see what the totals are for these games given our last known sales and these year long Best re releases. I'd do it but haven't the data.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Zen said:
I'd be interested to see what the totals are for these games given our last known sales and these year long Best re releases. I'd do it but haven't the data.
[PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision) - 20.692 / 113.957
[PS3] Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (SCE) - 175.750 / 410.052
[PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) - 77.694 / 141.589
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami) - 476.334 / 706.461
[PS3] Yakuza: Kenzan! (Sega) - 177.897 / 270.438
[PS3] Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (SCE) - 16.914 / 38.242 (55.003 geocities)
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (Capcom) - 122.058 / 211.240
[PS3] Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom) - 212.373 / 310.102
[PS3] Mahjong Fight Club: Zenkoku Taisen Ban (Konami) - 2.404 / 25.036
[PS3] Way of the Samurai 3 (Spike) - 81.395 / 125.791

[360] Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation (Namco Bandai) - 66.579 / 95.002
[360] Beautiful Katamari (Namco Bandai) - 17.088 / 24.747
[360] Halo 3 (Microsoft Game Studios) - 61.143 / 83.696
[360] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision) - 25.901 / 54.752
[360] Left 4 Dead (Electronic Arts Victor) - 17.088 / 17.088 (26.888 geocities)
[360] Armored Core: For Answer (From Software) - 24.549 / 40.391
[360] The Idolmaster (Namco Bandai) - 25.003 / 48.695
[360] Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom) - 40.169 / 55.259
[360] Grand Theft Auto IV (Capcom) - 38.281 / 59.893 (62.885 geocities)
[360] Fable II (Microsoft Game Studios) - 36.085 / 43.682 (52.394 geocities)

Orgen

cvxfreak said:
I think Nintendo's also overdue for a Donkey Kong platformer that's a little less reliant on a gimmick like the bongos (in spite of how good that was).

Damn right, where's my Donkey Kong Wii Nintendo? :(

Regarding the third-party line up for the Wii in 2010 I don't expect RE 5 Wii Edition, (is there a rumor or something?) Monster Hunter 3G could happen and... that's it. Konami will bring nothing big to the table (with Peace Walker for PSP, MGS: Rising & Castlevania for 360/PS3 I don't expect anything from them), Sonic is not relevant anymore (and it'll be multiplatform anyway) and SE and Bandai Namco... after the Crystal Bearers & Tales of Graces bombas... we'll see.

Am I missing something? Because the situation is rather distressing.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom)
Sengoku Basara 3 (Capcom)
Resident Evil 5: Wii Edition (Capcom) (?)
Taiko Drum Master Wii 3 (Namco Bandai)
Momotaro Railway 2011 (Hudson) (no reason to go back to DS after Wii sales)
Funny Party Game 100 Roaring Laughter (Hudson)
Tower of Shadow (Hudson)
No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle (Marvelous Entertainment)
Trauma Team (Atlus Co.)
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Konami) (if it comes out in Japan)
Samurai Warriors 3: Xtreme Legends (Koei) (possibly 2010)
Inazuma Eleven: Break (Level 5) (?)

bttb said:
Enterbrain/Famitsu

2008/12/29 ~ 2009/12/13

03. Halo 3 - 25,508
05. Left 4 Dead - 12,988
10. Fable II - 6,151
I believe AC6 and Beautiful Katamari are cheats because they were bundled with 360 consoles in late 2008 if I remember correctly. Sony did the same with GT5P Spec III.

Chris1964 said:
Tower of Shadow (Hudson)
Trauma Team (Atlus Co.)

Confirmed or assumption on your part? (since you didn't put a question mark on it like RE5 Wii Edition and Inazuma Eleven Break)

BoilersFan23 said:
I believe AC6 and Beautiful Katamari are cheats because they were bundled with 360 consoles in late 2008 if I remember correctly. Sony did the same with GT5P Spec III.

I wouldn't call it cheat but yes they were bundled.

Orgen

Chris1964 said:
Tower of Shadow (Hudson)
Trauma Team (Atlus Co.)

Inazuma Eleven: Break could be a hit, but is it confirmed? And Monster Hunter 3G?

The other games are in the 100K - 200K range, so I don't consider them big hits. Could we expect something big from Bandai Namco or SE? (besides Dragon Quest X)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Chris1964 said:
Tower of Shadow (Hudson)
Trauma Team (Atlus Co.)
So in terms of relevant titles, it's pretty much just Capcom. Hey, it's just like the GameCube! :p

Though it's worth noting that two of Capcom's titles are speculated, even if they're rather likely, and that the third is also on PS3.

This line-up... doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Admittedly the Samurai Warriors 3 followup could do well as well, assuming that one doesn't end up multiplatform.

Orgen said:
Inazuma Eleven: Break could be a hit, but is it confirmed? And Monster Hunter 3G?
Well, it exists, but it seems to be having large development issues. I'm not sure if it's due to a lack of development resources or technical issues though. I'd have to imagine development resources since it's a DS series.

Chris1964 said:
Tower of Shadow (Hudson)
Trauma Team (Atlus Co.)

How many capcom test wii users failed? not happening
Just kidding

I'm surprised not seeing more low profile companies jumping on Wii.N1,Gust, Compile heart(Idea Factory)...I know these companies probably found themselves more comfortables in the handheld market and PS3, but they didn't even tried....

Firestorm

bttb said:
Enterbrain/Famitsu

2008/12/29 ~ 2009/12/13

03. Halo 3 - 25,508
05. Left 4 Dead - 12,988
10. Fable II - 6,151
Xbox 360 more Japanese than PlayStation 3 confirmed.

bttb said:
Enterbrain/Famitsu

2008/12/29 ~ 2009/12/13

03. Halo 3 - 25,508
05. Left 4 Dead - 12,988
10. Fable II - 6,151
Awesome, thx. :)

near

Gold Member
I wonder what Sega and PG forecast for Bayonetta in Japan? What's the most up to date LTD we have for it? 187k (PS3), 86k (Xbox 360)?

Top Bottom