• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 14-20, 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Is this guy serious or is he a joke character mocking our seriousness for Japanese sales numbers?

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
Whoever it was, I thought he meant every week rather than in total.
Ye, that might be. If i remember correctly, i think that the prediction was something like "i think that the PS3 will outsell the Wii from now on until Christmas". Or maybe "Christmas" was "until the end of 2009" instead, and "now" was from when the PS3 Slim was release if i remember correctly. So i dont think it was clear if it was in total or on a weekly basis. I guess that it could be both :)

Jokeropia said:
This. That's all I'm saying.
Ok, i understand :)

By the way, I found out how many PSP games that were released in January to September in 2008 compared to in 2009 in USA, according to ToTheGame.com at least. If i counted correctly, in January to September in 2008, there were released 46 PSP games in the US. In the same period in 2009, there were released 48 PSP games. So it was about equally many games that were released. In UK/Euro (since it says "UK/Euro and not just "Europe", i am not sure if "Euro" accounts for every European country though), it was released 48 PSP games in 2008 and 40 PSP games in 2008. A bit less compared to USA, but about the same amount of games anyway in my opinion.

I am not sure which year that had the most "big titled" games though. God of War: Chains of Olympus and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII were released in 2008. Dissida: Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Resistance Retribution were released in 2009. I am not sure if games like Wipeout Pulse and Secret Agent Clank are defined as "big titled" games, but these 2 games were released in 2008 as well.

I guess that there is several of variables/things that are the reason for the lower PSP software sales in Europe and in USA from January to September in 2009 compared to January to September in 2008, like for example that people in general are less receptive to PSP games in general like you said and/or that less interesting games were released in 2009 compared to in 2008. I think that it would be interesting to know for sure what the main reason for the lower sales was :) I also think that it shall be intersting to see if Gran Turismo PSP and Little Big Planet PSP will do anything for the PSP software sales in 2009 in total (not just from January to September) compared to 2008. Do you know if Nintendo will release full year graphs as well when 2009 has ended?

I am sorry for the very late replies here by the way :\ I didnt check this Media Create thread that closely before today, so i didnt see the quotes that i quoted before today.

dolemite

duckroll said:
Valkyria Chronicles also managed to sell 140k, and get a green light for a sequel. Last Remnant did 130k on the 360 as well.
The "sequel" is on a PSP, so that doesn't count. It may even mean that it underperformed and Sega wants to lower the risks this time.

ksamedi

ethelred said:
Yay, you're back. :eek:

We were all getting a bit worried. It's good to know you're still with us and keeping us up-to-date on all the sales stuff we don't know.

Shocking. Thanks for that.
:lol

schuelma

test_account said:
I am sorry for the very late replies here by the way :\ I didnt check this Media Create thread that closely before today, so i didnt see the quotes that i quoted before today.

You know test account, you should really take a page from Onesimos and be more vigilant about Japanese gaming sales. I expect more from you.

dolemite said:
The "sequel" is on a PSP, so that doesn't count. It may even mean that it underperformed and Sega wants to lower the risks this time.

They've stated the main reason they went handheld is for the shorter dev cycle so they can get the game out while the franchise is still fresh in people's minds.

schuelma

Pureauthor said:
They've stated the main reason they went handheld is for the shorter dev cycle so they can get the game out while the franchise is still fresh in people's minds.

I'm sure that is true, but I imagine the PSP userbase was at least a secondary factor in that decision.

duckroll

schuelma said:
I'm sure that is true, but I imagine the PSP userbase was at least a secondary factor in that decision.

That has nothing to do with the original point though. Simply that if the original game was not considered a success at all, then a sequel would not be coming so soon.

DNF

schuelma said:

Nice fake edit, I was already worrying what eventually had happened to you.

donny2112

schuelma said:
Is this guy serious or is he a joke character mocking our seriousness for Japanese sales numbers?

He seems like he just wants to "join up" and seems to think that letting us know how serious he is about following the sales will help that. Sales-age isn't a club, though. Just being a regular here (and reading a lot) is pretty much all that's needed.

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Do you know if Nintendo will release full year graphs as well when 2009 has ended?
No idea. Last year Nintendo's Q3 presentation was relatively short, which might suggest that this one will be as well. We should at least get some sort of sales data out of it in any case.

duckroll

Sales-age is not a club, but ban-age definitely is. In fact, some people have lifetime memberships in that club now! :lol

Meier

Just curious of others' opinions. Moneyhats aside (I assume they received some), did Square lose money by not putting 13 on the 360 in Japan? Or do you think the production costs, quickened dev cycle to have it ready by now, additional localization/testing, etc. would have made the 200k copies it might have sold mostly irrelevant?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Meier said:
Just curious of others' opinions. Moneyhats aside (I assume they received some), did Square lose money by not putting 13 on the 360 in Japan? Or do you think the production costs, quickened dev cycle to have it ready by now, additional localization/testing, etc. would have made the 200k copies it might have sold mostly irrelevant?

Presuming you assign literally 0 cost to the 360 port, 200k copies is ten million dollars, which would represent around 9% of their overall income on the project's Japanese sales. So, really, while they might have squeaked out some extra dinero, it's not going to make the difference between massive loss and spectacular profit.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
You know test account, you should really take a page from Onesimos and be more vigilant about Japanese gaming sales. I expect more from you.
What does "vigilant" means? (english isnt my first language, sorry). Like to read more in the Media Create threads in this case? :) Unfortunately i havnt been using my computer that much the last few days, so i havnt checked out NeoGAF that much in general in the last few days, but i try to visit NeoGAF around the time when sales numbers usualy are coming out at least. If i am a bit late with my replies or if i write less posts, i am still very interested in the sales numbers :) I hope that 2010 also will be an excisting year for sales. I am particularly curious about how the PS3 and Wii hardware sales will compare to eachother in 2010.

Jokeropia said:
No idea. Last year Nintendo's Q3 presentation was relatively short, which might suggest that this one will be as well. We should at least get some sort of sales data out of it in any case.
Ok, cool, thanks for the info! :) I dont exactly any big expectations that the PSP software sales in Europe and in USA in 2009 has increased because of Gran Turismo PSP and Little Big Planet PSP, or maybe i dont even expect any increase compared to the total PSP software sales in 2008, but i think that it shall be interesting to see how the PSP software sales in 2009 compares to 2008 at least :)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
dolemite said:
Just as I suspected, my guess would be 450k 550k for Mario, 350k for Zelda, 250k for Tomodatchi and 200k for FFXIII
That looks better.
Come on sinobi, we don't want many things. Give us hardware, Mario and FFXIII numbers.
On a second thought these are too much.
Media Create must update tomorrow or we will stay with the rankings.

Yamauchi

Banned
Kind of sad to watch the FF series in decline, but then I have to admit that there's a part of me that just isn't as excited about these new games when compared to the PSX era. Don't know why.

Vinnk

Most interested in hardware. Did PS3 blow its entire load last week? I mean I know HW will be lower but how dramatic will the drop be? All lightning bundles are gone here but since the town is pretty small we only had a handful to begin with.

As for NSMB Wii. I visited my friend who runs a mom and pop game shop. He has gotten three shipments of the game and sold out almost instantly each time. He says he cant get anymore until next week. His supply channels are sold out. During the half hour I was in the store 4 people came in trying to buy copies. Its crazy. It seems Nintendo were taken off guard by how popular this would be. You NEVER want to be out of stock of the hot game the week Japanere kids get their New Years money(otoshidama).

But how about the big cities? Same supply issue? It was fine here for the first two weeks but this week people bougt up the remaining stock and out of the 9 stores that sell games only 1 still had copies (Yamada Denki).

mclem

Frillen said:
Don't be surprised if Friend Collection is above 250k or even 300k.

I gave up on being surprised by Friend Collection months ago. I still think it's got a chance of holding on to #3 for the year against the NSMBWii onslaught.

Only a chance, mind.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu

This week NSMBW will take the crown for the 4th biggest week.

1st biggest week
[PS1] Final Fantasy VIII (Square) - 2.504.044

2nd biggest week
[PS1] Dragon Quest VII (Enix) - 1.072.286

3rd biggest week
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 570.000

4th biggest week
[GBA] Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) - 336.847 ->NSMBW incoming

5th biggest week
[NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 436.828 ->NSMBW incoming?

6th biggest week
[NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 573.247

7th biggest week
[NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 477.507

8th biggest week
[NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 258.734

9th biggest week
[NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo) - 208.094

10th biggest week
[NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 144.733

Friend Collection is at its 28th week. This is the biggest 28th week so far:

[NDS] Big Brain Academy (Nintendo) - 97.026

Friend Collection will at least double (or even triple) this number.

Final Fantasy first and second weeks:

[PS1] Final Fantasy VII (Square) - 2.034.879 / 2.034.879
[PS1] Final Fantasy VII (Square) - 329.740 / 2.364.619

[PS1] Final Fantasy VIII (Square) - 2.504.044 / 2.504.044
[PS1] Final Fantasy VIII (Square) - 270.993 / 2.775.037

[PS1] Final Fantasy IX (Square) - 1.954.421 / 1.954.421
[PS1] Final Fantasy IX (Square) - 328.404 / 2.282.826

[PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square) - 1.749.737 / 1.749.737
[PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square) - 233.429 / 1.983.166

[PS2] Final Fantasy X-2 (Square Enix) - 1.472.914 / 1.472.914
[PS2] Final Fantasy X-2 (Square Enix) - 181.798 / 1.654.712

[PS2] Final Fantasy XII (Square Enix) - 1.840.397 / 1.840.397
[PS2] Final Fantasy XII (Square Enix) - 217.438 / 2.057.835

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 1.516.532 / 1.516.532
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - ? / ?

Vinnk

dolemite said:
Any sight of used copies of FFXIII yet?

Yeah as of a few days after launch. But as is said last week the used price is not much less than new. So it shouldnt eat into new game sales too much. At least not yet. But since the price stores will pay for a used copy is falling fast the price they sell that used copy for will likely drop soon as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chris1964 said:
Famitsu

This week NSMBW will take the crown for the 4th biggest week.

I'm not sure if this was a typo or an innocent mistake (I know you're European but you've never said from where and your English is quite good), but "4th biggest week" would be the week that is not as good as the three biggest weeks, but better than the 5th biggest week. What you want is "Biggest 4th week", which would be the 4th week of a game that is bigger than all other 4th weeks of games.

Cheers.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Stumpokapow said:
I'm not sure if this was a typo or an innocent mistake (I know you're European but you've never said from where and your English is quite good), but "4th biggest week" would be the week that is not as good as the three biggest weeks, but better than the 5th biggest week. What you want is "Biggest 4th week", which would be the 4th week of a game that is bigger than all other 4th weeks of games.

Cheers.
At least I have Friend Collection right. English isn't my native language.

schuelma

test_account said:
What does "vigilant" means? (english isnt my first language, sorry). Like to read more in the Media Create threads in this case? :) Unfortunately i havnt been using my computer that much the last few days, so i havnt checked out NeoGAF that much in general in the last few days, but i try to visit NeoGAF around the time when sales numbers usualy are coming out at least. If i am a bit late with my replies or if i write less posts, i am still very interested in the sales numbers :) I hope that 2010 also will be an excisting year for sales. I am particularly curious about how the PS3 and Wii hardware sales will compare to eachother in 2010.

I was just joking around at our junior members expense.

schuelma

Vinnk said:
As for NSMB Wii. I visited my friend who runs a mom and pop game shop. He has gotten three shipments of the game and sold out almost instantly each time. He says he cant get anymore until next week. His supply channels are sold out. During the half hour I was in the store 4 people came in trying to buy copies. Its crazy. It seems Nintendo were taken off guard by how popular this would be. You NEVER want to be out of stock of the hot game the week Japanere kids get their New Years money(otoshidama).

But how about the big cities? Same supply issue? It was fine here for the first two weeks but this week people bougt up the remaining stock and out of the 9 stores that sell games only 1 still had copies (Yamada Denki).

They definitely seemed to have underestimated demand in N.A. I've looked at 3 different places the last 2 days and not a copy in sight.

Luckily for Nintendo, I imagine people will just wait for it to get in stock since I doubt there is much of a used market for this title.

schuelma

Stumpokapow said:
Well you're doing great then. I am consistently impressed by the fluency of non-English GAFfers!

I want to second that. I've tried a few times to learn another language and it did not go well. Really impressed by everyone here at gaf.

Vinnk

schuelma said:
They definitely seemed to have underestimated demand in N.A. I've looked at 3 different places the last 2 days and not a copy in sight.

Luckily for Nintendo, I imagine people will just wait for it to get in stock since I doubt there is much of a used market for this title.

Yeah, don't see any used ones. There probably are but they just get bought up fast. One crazy thing, the 2 of the used game shops in my city are also sold out of Famicom Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros 3. This titles are always in stock because they are so common (though not always cheap), but as my friend was telling me, the new mario started a bit of a mario nostalgia kick. I would love to see the spike Virtual Console Mario downloads got. They advertised them right in the Japanese packaging for NSMBWii.

botticus

Chris1964 said:
Friend Collection is at its 28th week. This is the biggest 28th week so far:

[NDS] Big Brain Academy (Nintendo) - 97.026

Friend Collection will at least double (or even triple) this number.
Kinda makes you feel bad for the future of every other game, since I can't imagine a scenario where another game could break 200k in its 28th week. Of course, I don't think anyone saw Tomodachi doing that either.

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Ok, cool, thanks for the info! :) I dont exactly any big expectations that the PSP software sales in Europe and in USA in 2009 has increased because of Gran Turismo PSP and Little Big Planet PSP, or maybe i dont even expect any increase compared to the total PSP software sales in 2008, but i think that it shall be interesting to see how the PSP software sales in 2009 compares to 2008 at least :)
We'll get WW software shipments from Sony, so that's something at least.

Sadist

schuelma said:
I want to second that. I've tried a few times to learn another language and it did not go well. Really impressed by everyone here at gaf.
It helps that English as a language is more accessible when compared to other languages. Well, that's my opinion though.

Edit: what's the LTD regarding Friend Collection?

jay

Sadist said:
It helps that English as a language is more accessible when compared to other languages. Well, that's my opinion though.

I'd always read English was very difficult to learn. Good thing I chose to be born in a country that speaks it.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Sadist said:
As of last week

Famitsu
[NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 100.371 / 2.065.000

Media Create
[NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 101.998 / 2.089.947

Add another 250-300k for this week.

botticus said:
Kinda makes you feel bad for the future of every other game, since I can't imagine a scenario where another game could break 200k in its 28th week. Of course, I don't think anyone saw Tomodachi doing that either.
This is a bit of a tangent, but I was just looking at a few other huge games to see if I noticed any other late huge weeks that might have done as well in week 28 if their release date had been shuffled a bit. While I didn't find such a thing, I was surprised to find a case of nearly the opposite. The original nearly-4-million-selling Brain Age never had a week over 200K, and in fact only had two weeks over 100K. It just had soooo many decent weeks at 60K or below.

Sadist

Ah, thanks @ Chris1964. Those are insane.

jay said:
I'd always read English was very difficult to learn. Good thing I chose to be born in a country that speaks it.
As always, it depends. Here in Holland in general people understand and speak the language well enough, but we have the nasty habbit of translating our typically Dutch sayings (and several words) to English. It's funny though. Personally, I always had more problems learning about Dutch grammar :lol

Sadist said:
Ah, thanks @ Chris1964. Those are insane.

As always, it depends. Here in Holland in general people understand and speak the language well enough, but we have the nasty habbit of translating our typically Dutch sayings (and several words) to English. It's funny though. Personally, I always had more problems learning about Dutch grammar :lol

I have more problems learning the intricacies of English, than I do with the intricacies of Spanish. I think it's pretty common for people to get into bad habits in their own language without realizing it. You get preconceived thoughts on how you should say things, and they just happen to be wrong. When learning a new language, you are normally taught out of a textbook or by a teacher, this helps you learn the correct way of saying/writing things right off the bat, instead of letting you learn the language on your own, then taught the correct way. See the difference? Not sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but it makes sense to me.

Sorry for the thread derail, Duckroll.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
I was just joking around at our junior members expense.
Hehe ok :) Since i havnt been that active in this Media Create thread, i didnt get around to read much what Onesimos wrote (or what everyone else wrote as well), so i missed the referrence in the joke, sorry :) What did Onesimos say by the way?

Jokeropia said:
We'll get WW software shipments from Sony, so that's something at least.
Ok, nice, i am looking forward to see those shipment numbers :)

Cygnus X-1

Without numbers is hard to say something. I'm somewhat surprised by Tomodachi > FFXIII. Or FF dropped like a rock, or Tomodachi is quite selling ridiculously. In any case, I really, really hope that Zelda > 300k. At least.

test_account said:
Hehe ok :) Since i havnt been that active in this Media Create thread, i didnt get around to read much what Onesimos wrote (or what everyone else wrote as well), so i missed the referrence in the joke, sorry :) What did Onesimos say by the way?

Onesimos said:
This thread NEEDS to be on-topic (it is a sales thread), not discuss off-topic subjects like corporate culture which belongs in a separate thread.

Told us to stay on topic, while we were discussing something that is indirectly related to sales. Also was talking about how he was waiting for the Famitsu Top 10 numbers yesterday for hours, but was losing hope that they wouldn't come this week. He was waiting on the wrong day.

test_account

XP-39C²
Stopsign said:
Told us to stay on topic, while we were discussing something that is indirectly related to sales. Also was talking about how he was waiting for the Famitsu Top 10 numbers yesterday for hours, but was losing hope that they wouldn't come this week. He was waiting on the wrong day.
Ah ok. Waiting for the Famitsu numbers yesterday instead of today might have been an honest mistake i think, especially if he is new to japanese sales age, but discussing things that are indirectly related to sales in a Media Create thread are indeed on topic, at least in my opinion. Thanks for the answer :)

apotema

How does Wii, PSP and DS HW sales compare to last year?

Is there anyway to see the Media Create archives of previous years?

Top Bottom