• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

So, I was thinking to myself, with all this good news from the Sony front, where the hell are spwolf and diocare? The most obvious answer ended up being the right one...

On topic: despite all the people extrapolating numbers and coming to a 1.5-1.6million LTD for FFXIII, I see it selling up to 2 million when all is said and done. Again, just pulling this out of my ass.

It would really have to sell well in its second week to have any chance at all of making 2mil. Though with bundle sales, I think we can assume that the game sold about 1.15-1.2mil first day, probably 1.45mil FW, then it comes down to legs. As of right now, I think 1.8mil is just about right.

Final Fantasy sold well, wow...who didn't expect this?

Nothing earth-shattering relative to previous FF sales, of course, so I don't know why everyone is trying to make a big deal out of this.

If anything, the real winner and news this holiday is NSMBWii. It will not only end up dethroning a lot of previous classic Mario titles, but it will also end up accumulating enough sales to catapult it among the best selling games of all time. We're seeing history in the making here, but it seems we're allowing it to be slightly overshadowed by something that happens quite often: a mainline FF game selling 1 million+ on its first day.

Frillen

Great start if it sold 1 Million without bundles, but I think this will be the most front-loaded main FF game ever, because of the low PS3 userbase. It will fall like a meteor facing earth the second week.

Majmun

NintendosBooger said:

Nothing earth-shattering relative to previous FF sales, of course, so I don't know why everyone is trying to make a big deal out of this.

If anything, the real winner and news this holiday is NSMBWii. It will not only end up dethroning a lot of previous classic Mario titles, but it will also end up accumulating enough sales to catapult it among the best selling games of all time. We're seeing history in the making here, but it seems we're allowing it to be slightly overshadowed by something that happens quite often: a mainline FF game selling 1 million+ on its first day.

Well, 2D Mario games always sold well too, so nothing "earth-shattering" about NSBWii success either...

gerg

TheBranca18 said:

I presume you're responding to NintendosBooger? Well, excluding the hyperbole, I think that the core of what he says isn't exactly wrong. Large, front-loaded, "I began queueing at 5-am"-line-inducing sales are the normal fare for Final Fantasy. What is much more interesting is the first-day-to-first-week sales ratio, and how much hardware the game shifted.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This 1st day number thing really is odd.

Monday morning will be interesting..unless SE co-opts Enterbrain again :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
NintendosBooger said:

Couldnt pretty much the same be said about NSMB Wii as well? Who didnt expect NSMB Wii to sell well? Maybe not everyone expected it to sell as well as has sold so far though, but i think that most people in general in this thread expected NSMB Wii to sell well at least :)

As Second mentioned, 2D Mario games has pretty much always been popular. Seeing that NSMB on the DS has sold over 5 million copies in Japan alone, it shows that 2D Mario is still very popular :) This is on a handheld system though, and popular games on handheld systems doesnt always translate to an equal great success on a standalone console, but personally i belived that there was a fairly big chance that NSMB Wii would sell great after seeing how popular NSMB on the DS is. At least i am not that big surprised that NSMB Wii has sold this great so far.

I havnt read all the posts in this thread, but are people making a big deal of the FFXIII sales? Many people (at least i have) might have waited for 2-3 years for FFXIII to come out to see how it sells, especially since the game is on the PS3, which hasnt really sold that well, at least compared to how the the PS1, the PS2 and the Wii has sold. So i can see why people are interested in talking about the FFXIII sales now that the game is finally out for sale :)

I havnt exactly been waiting intense everyday for 2-3 years in a row to see how FFXIII would sell though, but i have been wondering some times for the last 2-3 years how much FFXIII would end up selling and how much impact FFXIII would have on the PS3 hardware sales :)

I think that i know what you mean, but i dont think that NSMB Wii's success in general is getting overshadowed by the first day FFXIII sales. Since FFXIII was released yesterday and NSMB Wii was released about 2 weeks ago, most people will probably talk more about the FFXIII sales right now instead of talking about the NSMB Wii sales right now. I am pretty sure that there will be more talk about the NSMB Wii sales in the upcoming times, especially if NSMB Wii keeps on selling very well :)

I also wonder how NSMB Wii's LTD will be when it is all said and done compared to other main Mario games :)

EDIT: I added some text.

Google Translate said:
FXIII sells 100 million units

holy shit! 2500% attach rate!!! :lol

Anyways, 1 mill was below my expectations, 1.2 FD & 1.5 FW. I'm thinking they may not sell through their first shipment.

RpgN

Stopsign said:
It would really have to sell well in its second week to have any chance at all of making 2mil. Though with bundle sales, I think we can assume that the game sold about 1.15-1.2mil first day, probably 1.45mil FW, then it comes down to legs. As of right now, I think 1.8mil is just about right.

Pretty much what I think as well. The game will probably sell around 1,5 million copies first week and eventually comes close to that 1,8 million shipment figure. But the thing that could hold it off is if it performs like previous FFs where it doesn't have decent legs, I hope for the best!

NintendosBooger said:
Final Fantasy sold well, wow...who didn't expect this?Nothing earth-shattering relative to previous FF sales, of course, so I don't know why everyone is trying to make a big deal out of this. If anything, the real winner and news this holiday is NSMBWii. etc

Is this a joke? Lots of people praised NSMBWII performance including me :lol

Dragon

Banned
gerg said:
I presume you're responding to NintendosBooger? Well, excluding the hyperbole, I think that the core of what he says isn't exactly wrong. Large, front-loaded, "I began queueing at 5-am"-line-inducing sales are the normal fare for Final Fantasy. What is much more interesting is the first-day-to-first-week sales ratio, and how much hardware the game shifted.

I wouldn't call it a response. I kinda thought he was just a joke character. Perhaps he's not wrong, but the timing is definitely suspect and makes me think he's damage controlling. Whether or not there is a need for damage controlling really isn't the issue. I think it's just his schtick.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gerg said:

I'd click the various links in NintendosBooger's tag (before it changes to "banned").

gerg

Stumpokapow said:
I'd click the various links in NintendosBooger's tag (before it changes to "banned").

I've done that before, and more than once if I've been in for a laugh.

Didn't really think that he was a joke character.

RpgN

I know FFXIII and NSMBWII are taking all the spotlight but I'm glad Phantasy Star Portable 2 is still in the top 10. Its improvement is huge compared to the first one and deserves more sale than it. It just passed PS1 first week. It will be hard to match its LTD of 636.973 though :(

gerg

BattleMonkey said:
Thing is, hes not a joke character.... that's the sad thing.

In which case I'm confused as to what his dispassion for homeless folk and happy co-workers has to do with hyperbole in a Media-Create thread.

The_lascar said:
50j1.png
Isn't the problem obvious from this graph???

The series has been branded completely wrong.

The best selling "Tales of..." game isn't even a "Tales of..." game!!!!!

It's a "Tales of the..." game.

Obviously fans are desperate for articles in their Tales of games!!!!!!111!!!!

HOW could Bandai Namco miss such an OBVIOUS MISTAKE!

MechaX

danielijohnson said:
Isn't the problem obvious from this graph???

The series has been branded completely wrong.

The best selling "Tales of..." game isn't even a "Tales of..." game!!!!!

It's a "Tales of the..." game.

Obviously fans are desperate for articles in their Tales of games!!!!!!111!!!!

HOW could Bandai Namco miss such an OBVIOUS MISTAKE!

But... Tales of the Tempest..!

obonicus

gerg said:
In which case I'm confused as to what his dispassion for homeless folk and happy co-workers has to do with hyperbole in a Media-Create thread.

He's from one of Bizarro World's moons. He's not completely 'bad is good' like other posters, he's more 'I have no idea what I'm saying'.

obonicus

schuelma said:
This 1st day number thing really is odd.

Monday morning will be interesting..unless SE co-opts Enterbrain again :lol

Would SE have declared fractions of a million, if the game had sold, say, 1.2M?

Bebpo said:
Can you try to be a little less apparent cvx? We don't even have numbers yet and you've been super eager to spin FFXIII's doom while praise NSMB's demand every chance you get. It comes off as kinda annoying and smug.

:lol :lol :lol post of the day for me

Apart from his exacerbated Resident Evil fanboyism, cvx is one of the guy the most fair in GAF.

He told that PS3 slim will be huge and it was right.
He told that NSMBWii will be huge and will sell tons and it was right.
He told also that NSMBWii sold half of tons for its second week and it was right.

Where is fanboyism ??? :lol :lol :lol

noobie

Banned
so now when r we going to get the numbers now for First day.? or we r directly going to get first week numbers. :$

Moor-Angol said:
but MH3 wasnt released during week 51, 52 and 01...
Are we sure this will make much difference? There are only so many huge + frontloaded releases, so I'm not sure how much precedent there is for any of them hitting late December. The closest that immediately comes to mind is a remake; FF IV DS launched December 20, and did end up more than doubling its first week.
2754+-+Final+Fantasy+IV+-+DS

Second said:
Well, 2D Mario games always sold well too, so nothing "earth-shattering" about NSBWii success either...
Well, we don't have actual data showing any of them selling more quickly than NSMBW.

schuelma

oldie-newbie said:
:lol :lol :lol post of the day for me

Apart from his exacerbated Resident Evil fanboyism, cvx is one of the guy the most fair in GAF.

He told that PS3 slim will be huge and it was right.
He told that NSMBWii will be huge and will sell tons and it was right.
He told also that NSMBWii sold half of tons for its second week and it was right.

Where is fanboyism ??? :lol :lol :lol

Exactly. Aside from his totally awesome bias towards anything Biohazard, cvx is about as unbiased and reasonable as you can get in this thread.

DMeisterJ

Banned
1 million day 1? :eek:

It'll definitely sell through another 2-300k for the weekend, and maybe all the bundles will be sold...

I think a first week of 1.4 is reachable, and likely, and all they have to do is sell through another 400k to finish the shipment out. I think that will happen, but they probably wont ship much more than that to Japan. Maybe another 1-200k for the whole next year, but 2 million is nothing to scoff at on the PS3... especially in Japan.

MechaX

danielijohnson said:
Screw it.

I tried.

Series am screwed.

While the ship has definitely sailed for this idea, I have to wonder if there was anything particularly appealing about Abyss outside of the platform choice. Moreover, if character polls in the Tales fanbase mean anything, Abyss is still quite popular among the fanbase.

I really wonder why Namco didn't just decide to do a Tales of the Abyss 2 rather than a Symphonia 2. Its sales in Japan alone would have probably eclipsed the comparative worldwide effort of Symphonia 2, depending on which platform it released on. But eh, I'm just throwing ideas out there about this series at this point.

schuelma

DMeisterJ said:
I think a first week of 1.4 is reachable, and likely, and all they have to do is sell through another 400k to finish the shipment out. I think that will happen, but they probably wont ship much more than that to Japan. Maybe another 1-200k for the whole next year, but 2 million is nothing to scoff at on the PS3... especially in Japan.

I think selling out the initial shipment and that's about it is still the most likely scenario, but without hard 1st day numbers it a bit harder to project- if the 1st day number was 1.2M tor higher then it could indeed get close to 2M.

NintendosBooger said:
Who cares about ToG, really? When you've just eaten a big steak (NSMBWii) and are now looking to the deserts (FF13), it's easy to overlook the salad (ToG). The game looked like shit anyway and no one respects Namco as a developer anymore. It bombing doesn't phase me one bit; just as long as Mario is on top and selling, fuck the rest.

NintendosBooger said:
Hey, that's your call, bud! I've seen examples of third party success on. the Wii so I know that the machine isn't a blackhole for non-Nintendo developers. It's a blackhole for scrubby developers with no creativity or skill who made their fortunes this generation by recycling their PS2 efforts with prettier graphics, but that shit won't fly on the Wii. ToG looks like a piece of anime crap anyway. The Wii userbase might be starving for RPGs and all, but not even a starving man will lower himself by consuming dung to support himself.

Go Mario!

NintendosBooger said:

If you are a joke character with abysmal posting history who is only being kept around for cheap laughs: don't shit up the M-C thread, lest you find yourself permabanned.

jay

Dragona Akehi said:
If you are a joke character with abysmal posting history who is only being kept around for cheap laughs: don't shit up the M-C thread, lest you find yourself permabanned.

But the comedy... :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yamauchi said:
Here's to hoping that FF13 won't be the worst selling mainline FF game since FF3, but it ain't looking good.

Natural series decline + limitations of platform (that's not meant to be a slight on the PS3 either; I don't believe it'd do better or fit better anywhere else) means this is pretty much inevitable, it's just a question of if it does FFIV-VI numbers or FFIII numbers.

Currently:
3+ million:
VII
VIII
X

2+ million:
IX
VI
V
X-2
XII

1+ million:
IV

I don't have numbers for III, II, or I but I'm pretty confident XIII will be between XII and IV, closer to XII, when all is said and done.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Now what's remaining is Famitsu doesn't give us a special report about FF XIII on Monday. Everything is possible with what we see the last weeks. Enterbrain follows the Media Create path and tries to disappear every leak.

Next week releases (22-23-24/12/09)

22/12/09 [NDS] Atelier Lisa: Strahl no Renkinjutsushi (Gust)
23/12/09 [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo)
24/12/09 [NDS] Higurashi no Nakukoru ni Kizuna: Ichi-Ni Maki Pack (Alchemist)
24/12/09 [NDS] Post Pet DS: Yumemiru Momo to Fushigi no Pen (Marvelous Entertainment)
24/12/09 [NDS] Nankoku Sodachi DS (Comnseed)
24/12/09 [NDS] Koro Pata (LukPlus)

23/12/09 [PSP] Metal Slug XX (SNK Playmore)
23/12/09 [PSP] Lucky Star: Net Idol Meister (Kadokawa Shoten)
23/12/09 [PSP] Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (Ubisoft)
23/12/09 [PSP] Simple 2500 Series Portable Vol. 13: The Akuma Hunters - Exorsister (D3 Publisher)
24/12/09 [PSP] Darius Burst (Taito Corporation)
24/12/09 [PSP] Nizu no Senritsu Portable (CyberFront)
24/12/09 [PSP] Loopop Cube: Loop Salad Portable - Matatabi (Dimple Entertainment)
24/12/09 [PSP] Magus Tale Eternity: Seikaiju to Koisuru Mahou Tsukai (GN Software)
24/12/09 [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best Reprint) (Capcom)

23/12/09 [360] Ninja Gaiden II (Platinum Collection) (Microsoft Game Studios)
24/12/09 [360] Tomoyo After: It's a Wonderful Life - CS Edition (Prototype)
24/12/09 [360] Infernal: Hell's Vengeance (Russel)

23/12/09 [PS2] Complete Box Gekkan (NeoGeo Online Collection) (SNK Playmore)
23/12/09 [PS2] Complete Box Joukan (NeoGeo Online Collection) (SNK Playmore)
24/12/09 [PS2] Little Busters! Converted Edition (Prototype)

schuelma

Chris1964 said:
Now what's remaining is Famitsu doesn't give us a special report about FF XIII on Monday. Everything is possible with what we see the last weeks. Enterbrain follows the Media Create path and tries to disappear every leak.

Or we get another P.R from SE saying they sold "over 1.2 million" or some other completely useless number.

It really is incredible how the leaks have basically dried up at the busiest time of the year :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chris1964 said:
Next week releases (22-23-24/12/09)

22/12/09 [NDS] Atelier Lisa: Strahl no Renkinjutsushi (Gust)
23/12/09 [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo)
24/12/09 [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best Reprint) (Capcom)

Pretty slim pickins here.

Last two Atelier games did 15-25k launch week. Zelda is obviously big but I expect Spirit Tracks to launch below Phantom Hourglass and PH did 275-300k week one (Minish Cap did 100k as a point of comparison).

MHF1 did 120k first week, MHF1 The Best did 12k first week, MHF1 The Best Reprint did 73k first eight months. MHF2 did 750k first week, MHF2G did 825k first week, MHF2G The Best did 20k first week... so I'd expect MHF2G The Best Reprint to launch pretty low in the top thirty but put up consistent sales for quite some time.

Pretty much every other game on the list is uninteresting. Lucky Star will probably do 30-50k week one and a few others look like top 30 candidates, but meh...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Wii performance after price cut (Media Create)

Code:
week	 2007	 2008	 2009
 40	 20.704	 25.330	 35.392
 41	 20.575	 22.877	 30.741
 42	 24.932	 26.024	 29.965
 43	 27.502	 24.292	 25.917
 44	 37.617	 23.123	 28.888
 45	 34.546	 24.726	 31.810
 46	 36.230	 26.787	 26.764
 47	 54.362	 35.298	 32.844
 48	 74.764	 49.848	 46.673
 49	115.057	 56.702	106.555
 50	170.558	 91.641	135.898
 51	232.907	131.054	
 52	152.209	134.958

WII YTD: 1.555.323
PS3 YTD: 1.416.927
DIF YTD: 138.396

In Japan it might be disappointing for FF13 but ww it should do fine thanks to having a 360 release as well as PS3. Don't know if this will be the lowest selling numbered FF but I think the 360 addition will possibly work in it's favor world wide when it's all over.

kswiston

BattleMonkey said:
In Japan it might be disappointing for FF13 but ww it should do fine thanks to having a 360 release as well as PS3. Don't know if this will be the lowest selling numbered FF but I think the 360 addition will possibly work in it's favor world wide when it's all over.

Worldwide, Final Fantasy I-VI are not in the same league as Final Fantasy VII-XII. None of the NES/SNES games broke 1M (shipped) outside of Japan (I think FFVI was the only one over 500k). I think Final Fantasy IX was the lowest selling post-FFVII title outside of Japan, and even that was well over 2M.

markatisu

DMeisterJ said:
1 million day 1? :eek:

It'll definitely sell through another 2-300k for the weekend, and maybe all the bundles will be sold...

Because 2m is something to scoff at on every other platform??

If they can pull off a 1.8m LTD I think they should be thrilled, with as front loaded as FF games are your best wish is to get it all gone early.

I want to see what it did for hardware, thats going to be the interesting thing to me

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
kswiston said:
Worldwide, Final Fantasy I-VI are not in the same league as Final Fantasy VII-XII. None of the NES/SNES games broke 1M (shipped) outside of Japan (I think FFVI was the only one over 500k). I think Final Fantasy IX was the lowest selling post-FFVII title outside of Japan, and even that was well over 2M.

a pure travesty.

onipex

Chris1964 said:
Wii performance after price cut (Media Create)

Code:
week	 2007	 2008	 2009
 40	 20.704	 25.330	 35.392
 41	 20.575	 22.877	 30.741
 42	 24.932	 26.024	 29.965
 43	 27.502	 24.292	 25.917
 44	 37.617	 23.123	 28.888
 45	 34.546	 24.726	 31.810
 46	 36.230	 26.787	 26.764
 47	 54.362	 35.298	 32.844
 48	 74.764	 49.848	 46.673
 49	115.057	 56.702	106.555
 50	170.558	 91.641	135.898
 51	232.907	131.054	
 52	152.209	134.958

WII YTD: 1.555.323
PS3 YTD: 1.416.927
DIF YTD: 138.396

Wow, I wonder if it will go up next week.

Top Bottom