• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
TheRagnCajun said:
k...

Well maybe 150k.

I admit I'm confused at this continuing skepticism over Wii hardware sales, especially given the 2008/2007 comparison Chris just posted.

schuelma said:
I admit I'm confused at this continuing skepticism over Wii hardware sales, especially given the 2008/2007 comparison Chris just posted.

It just seems to me that NSMB Wii is the real factor, not the price cut so much. I'd be more interested to see DS HW numbers corresponding to the NSMB DS. If DS was still getting a huge boost in week 3 then I'd be convinced.

schuelma

TheRagnCajun said:
It just seems to me that NSMB Wii is the real factor, not the price cut so much. I'd be more interested to see DS HW numbers corresponding to the NSMB DS. If DS was still getting a huge boost in week 3 then I'd be convinced.

Its not just NSMB Wii- its the holiday season where Nintendo sales keep rising even without a hit on the magnitude of NSMB Wii. Again, look at least year- sales rose 40K or so from this week to next on the strength of next to nothing.

test_account

XP-39C²
I wonder if the big hardware bump (at least i think that it will be big) that the PS3 most likely will get next week due to the launch of FFXIII will affect the other consoles hardware sales, or if other console hardware sales wont be affected much at all.

slaughterking said:
I think that's him - and that was a very awkward scene. :lol
The german guy is also calling him a jerk later in the video because sprks pronounced his URL wrong.
Ye, i think that it looks like sp0rks at least, and i think that sp0rks was on the 1up show regarding the launch of Super Smash Brothers Brawl (i remember seeing sp0rks in some pictures with some guy from 1up at least), so i would guess that it is sp0rks in that video :) Hehe ye, that scene seemed to be awkward indeed, i agree :)

Ah, he called him a jerk in german? My german isnt that good unfortunately, so i didnt notice that.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
test_account said:
I wonder if the big hardware bump (at least i think that it will be big) that the PS3 most likely will get next week due to the launch of FFXIII will affect the other consoles hardware sales, or if other console hardware sales wont be affected much at all.
DS is already affected from WII and PS3 high sales. Its sales are a little low for the period (by DS standards) even with the presence of DSi LL.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If there is still doubt that Wii will be big next week here are and the Gamecube Media Create numbers. Unfortunately there are no numbers for 2001. Nintendo systems always rise significantly at December.

Code:
week	2002	2003	2004	2005	2006
40	11.900	7.200	4.830	1.486	488
41	8.700	11.100	4.368	1.666	653
42	8.600	12.200	3.992	1.519	638
43	8.700	13.700	6.170	2.931	644
44	12.000	20.000	4.656	3.290	647
45	18.800	20.500	4.860	4.368	496
46	15.800	19.600	5.113	5.661	514
47	37.400	34.800	6.107	5.130	576
48	35.100	38.096	5.465	6.494	821
49	26.200	53.608	25.359	12.212	569
50	67.538	95.100	29.991	17.849	1.152
51	76.900	154.519	108.311	36.646	1.250
52	62.100	164.500	29.802	12.579	847
1	92.594	36.906	19.703	13.423	1.258
2	19.902	19.607	7.475	5.465	611
3	14.235	13.292	5.359	4.490	554
4	9.322	10.698	8.214	3.036	347

Guess its about it for data this week, are we doing to do predictions for next week? Maybe we'll jinx it so we only get combined 2-weeks data!

If we were to do them, I was thinking Zelda 1st day (would be 2 days but lack of leak makes me wary), Zelda 1st week, FF13 2nd week, NSMB 4th week, PS3 hardware and Wii hardware. Other than the 1st day Zelda, the rest should still mentioned by sinobi.

But I'm not even sure I want to try our luck to see what we lose next! So far, there's 3 rounds of predictions waiting results (one late already, one which got fucked today and the last one which doesn't end until January) :p

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
RpgN said:
I know FFXIII and NSMBWII are taking all the spotlight but I'm glad Phantasy Star Portable 2 is still in the top 10. Its improvement is huge compared to the first one and deserves more sale than it. It just passed PS1 first week. It will be hard to match its LTD of 636.973 though :(

That's okay, at least we will get the game in the states and Europe.

Right? :)

I was hoping that it would sell better than the first game in Japan. I am just a little disappointed.

MechaX said:
While the ship has definitely sailed for this idea, I have to wonder if there was anything particularly appealing about Abyss outside of the platform choice. Moreover, if character polls in the Tales fanbase mean anything, Abyss is still quite popular among the fanbase.

I really wonder why Namco didn't just decide to do a Tales of the Abyss 2 rather than a Symphonia 2. Its sales in Japan alone would have probably eclipsed the comparative worldwide effort of Symphonia 2, depending on which platform it released on. But eh, I'm just throwing ideas out there about this series at this point.

They said an Abyss 2 was possible...so who knows! Watch them make it for the Wii by the DotNW team (not that I'd complain, I loved DotNW) :p

And nice going Dragona.

Also, we really haven't gotten exact first day numbers yet?

Hcoregamer00

Bel Marduk said:
They said an Abyss 2 was possible...so who knows! Watch them make it for the Wii by the DotNW team (not that I'd complain, I loved DotNW) :p

And nice going Dragona.

Also, we really haven't gotten exact first day numbers yet?

Abyss was a great game, but it had a great ending which I don't want a sequel to mess up.

I really don't want another game in the Abyss universe unless it is a remake using the Vesperia engine that trims the fat from the game to make it even better.

Speaking of porting from one console to another, is it possible for a graces port to the PSP to garner more sales or is that technically impossible?

Based on this week's Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 64.7 / 35.3 bring total shares to 68.3 / 31.7. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 204.8 weeks (November 16, 2013).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 12.4 / 87.6 bring total shares to 22.7 / 77.3. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 267.9 weeks (February 1, 2015).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 35.6 / 64.4 bring total shares to 30.9 / 69.1. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 66.5 weeks (March 24, 2011).

Week over week, PS2 and PSP are pretty flat, but everything else is ramping up.
X360

Through the first fifty weeks of the year, overall sales are down. However, the systems can be split into camps of 3 up and 3 down. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -40.1%
DS family: +3.9%
PS2: -55.9%
PS3: +58.2%
PSP family: -40.0%
X360: +20.8%

Home hardware: -16.8%
Portable hardware: -18.0%

Nintendo hardware: -15.0%
Sony hardware: -23.1%

Sum of all hardware: -17.5%

Last year:

This year:

On week 159, Wii passes 9 million. On week 162, PS3 passes 4 million.
Wii

It is also notable that both Wii and PS3 are putting up better numbers than they did at the peak of last year's holiday numbers, even a couple weeks early. Wii hit 136K this week versus a peak of 135K the week of December 22 last year. PS3 hit 75K this week versus a peak of 61K the week of December 29 last year.
2009-11-23

2009-11-23

I have this feeling, either PS3 hardware hits 250k or it didn't do much this week. By didn't do much I mean 150k and losing to the Wii.

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Guess its about it for data this week, are we doing to do predictions for next week? Maybe we'll jinx it so we only get combined 2-weeks data!

If we were to do them, I was thinking Zelda 1st day (would be 2 days but lack of leak makes me wary), Zelda 1st week, FF13 2nd week, NSMB 4th week, PS3 hardware and Wii hardware. Other than the 1st day Zelda, the rest should still mentioned by sinobi.

But I'm not even sure I want to try our luck to see what we lose next! So far, there's 3 rounds of predictions waiting results (one late already, one which got fucked today and the last one which doesn't end until January) :p

In the spirit of the holiday season, we should just take a break from predictions for a while. Instead everyone gets free hugs and we should wish for high sales for all software regardless of publisher or platform! :D

LINK.AGE76 said:
I have this feeling, either PS3 hardware hits 250k or it didn't do much this week. By didn't do much I mean 150k and losing to the Wii.
Keep in mind that "by didn't do much" you also mean it ties its best week ever, and gets only its second above 100K. :)

JoshuaJSlone said:
Keep in mind that "by didn't do much" you also mean it ties its best week ever, and gets only its second above 100K. :)

I'm aware of that, but with the FF13 hype, growth of the PS3 sales in the last few months and the holiday period it should do much more I think. I did predict it would do 180k for this week, but it would be interesting if it went to the extreme of a 250k or a 150k.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
duckroll said:
In the spirit of the holiday season, we should just take a break from predictions for a while. Instead everyone gets free hugs and we should wish for high sales for all software regardless of publisher or platform! :D
I agree with duckroll. The only new release is Zelda and there are already 3 sets of predictions waiting. A two week break for holidays until Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep looks the best.

schuelma

Chris1964 said:
I agree with duckroll. The only new release is Zelda and there are already 3 sets of predictions waiting. A two week break for holidays until Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep looks the best.

Also agree.

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:
That's okay, at least we will get the game in the states and Europe.

Right? :)

I was hoping that it would sell better than the first game in Japan. I am just a little disappointed.

I was thinking about importing the Japanese version after a while since the voice work is pretty good. I might wait and see how it pans out with the English localisation. So consider me definitely getting the game as well :)

And agreed, hopefully word of mouth will help the sequel having longer legs.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
RpgN said:
So far sales don't point to that direction. Bad word of mouth for the first game has affected the sequel.

duckroll

I'm getting a bit worried about leaks and stuff now. Hopefully we get them per normal come Wednesday next week... otherwise... :/

RpgN

^
We might still get reports on Monday for FFXIII right?
Chris1964 said:
So far sales don't point to that direction. Bad word of mouth for the first game has affected the sequel.

:(

It should clear 400k LTD at least, while it's disappointing compared to the first, it's still pretty good. It's still disappointing though...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
duckroll said:
I'm getting a bit worried about leaks and stuff now. Hopefully we get them per normal come Wednesday next week... otherwise... :/
Don't worry. Media Create to the rescue next week. we will get the numbers even if Sinobi doesn't post them. The week after that is questionable if we will get numbers in time. Lately Media Create posts the numbers the same week, just one day later at holiday periods instead of posting them with one week delay like they used to do.

schuelma

duckroll said:

I fear that its been plugged. This is 2 weeks in a row without anything..I don't know if that's happened in the time I've been following sales.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I'm afraid we must start accepting that that top 30 complete leak has gone for ever. I don't see it coming back, at least not from the same person.

Media Create
01 . [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable (Sega) - 341.700 / 341.700
01 . [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable (Sega) - 148.230 / 489.930

02 . [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 286.896 / 286.896
07 . [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 74.203 / 361.099

Famitsu
01 . [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable (Sega) - 329.455 / 329.455
03 . [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable (Sega) - 113.000 / 442.000

02 . [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 284.883 / 284.883
08 . [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 63.000 / 348.000

noobie

Banned
So wot are the chances we will get numbers on Monday for FFXIII or we have to wait till normal wednesday..

Btw has it ever happened that Famitsu didn't disclose first day numbers before for a huge title.. i think even PS3 slim sales number were released much earlier. :$

Spiegel

Chris1964 said:
PSP2 numbers

Looks like Phantasy Star Portable 2 will sell significantly less copies than PSP1 and duckroll was (partly) right.

However, the highly likely 425k+ LTD is still an impressive number for a Phantasy Star game. The first game was lucky to ride the Monster Hunter craze on its highest point and greatly benefited from that.

Sega can't be disappointed if the real baseline is "only" 400k.

onken

duckroll said:

Yes goodwill to all mankind and all that jazz :)

Hcoregamer00

RpgN said:
I was thinking about importing the Japanese version after a while since the voice work is pretty good. I might wait and see how it pans out with the English localisation. So consider me definitely getting the game as well :)

I imported the original Phantasy Star Portable when it was released in Japan. It was quite a fun experience, even a person with limited Japanese knowledge like me could navigate the game very easily.

Of course, that was before the dollar dropped like a rock :/

I am tempted to import PSP2, but it costs a heck of a lot more than I paid for my import of PSP.

duckroll said:

Agreed, cheers everyone.

Have a great weekend :D

Oxx

This does seem like the end of an era.

FFXIII (and its sales potential) has been a constant presence looming over every single Japanese sales thread since the dawn of the generation. I don't know what we're going to do without it.

AniHawk

Oxx said:

FFXIII (and its sales potential) has been a constant presence looming over every single Japanese sales thread since the dawn of the generation. I don't know what we're going to do without it.

There's always DQX.

duckroll

Oxx said:

Square Enix anticipated this, so they have prepared 2 more FFXIII games in the coming years. :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Relaxed Muscle said:
Maybe because TotT was a joke as a mainline entry and probably hurt any possibilities of the series success on DS. And there's have been plnety of RPG on DS that reached huge success.

I thought we'd dropped TotT as an excuse for Tales sales on DS.

Oxx said:

we can start arguing if DQX will be released on Wii, or switched to DS or Wii/PS3 release or... who knows ?

the long silence after the announcement made 12 months ago could be interpreted in many ways :D

schuelma

Moor-Angol said:
we can start arguing if DQX will be released on Wii, or switched to DS or Wii/PS3 release or... who knows ?

the long silence after the announcement made 12 months ago could be interpreted in many ways :D

Let's not get carried away. If SE did decide to switch development the PS3 would be third in line.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:

This makes me a happy kitty. =^.^=

thefro

Moor-Angol said:

First half of the game on DS and 2nd half on Wii. :D

Grampasso

Moor-Angol said:

mmmh... didn't we have a similar wait for DQIX as well after the first announcement?

HK-47 said:
I thought we'd dropped TotT as an excuse for Tales sales on DS.

I think that - following the sales of several Tales installments on DS and the two on Wii, as well as the performance of Tales games on PSP and PS3 - it's reasonable to say that the PS3/PSP audience is more receptive to that series.

I don't think Namco should abandon DS or Wii development for the series, but I think it would make sense to focus their effort and investment on the platforms where they seem to see the greatest response.

Grampasso said:
mmmh... didn't we have a similar wait for DQIX as well after the first announcement?

IIRC the long wait also coincided with the PSP resurgence and ISTR there were a number of comments about the game being moved to the PSP...

Grampasso

Cosmonaut X said:
I think that - following the sales of several Tales installments on DS and the two on Wii, as well as the performance of Tales games on PSP and PS3 - it's reasonable to say that the PS3/PSP audience is more receptive to that series.

I don't think Namco should abandon DS or Wii development for the series, but I think it would make sense to focus their effort and investment on the platforms where they seem to see the greatest response.
Yes, I think so too. On a similar note I think Nintendo audience is a bit more receptive to DQ series (though its fans are so attached to it that they would buy whatever console it's the sequel on), just look at DQ swords, 500k sales after the Wii had been out for 8 months and the game is far from being that good.
IIRC the long wait also coincided with the PSP resurgence and ISTR there were a number of comments about the game being moved to the PSP...
So we're likely to have new information about DQX for Wii in a short wile? :lol

Cosmonaut X said:

Apparently the series will now release 2 games a year.

http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82005

So I expect not much to change except for less escorts. My guess:

2010 - New HD Tales from Team Symphonia (PS3 exclusive or for both consoles, don't know) then a DS Tales from the Hearts team.

2011 - New Wii Tales from Team Destiny then a PSP game from Alfa Systems I guess (Radiant Mythology 3?) unless they ended up making Tales of Versus 2.

Edit: After that I think they'll move on to next gen unless they decide to make another Team Symphonia game. Team Destiny should be moving to next gen after their next game.

Top Bottom